PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Does Tenerife have a 'Dangerous Dogs Act'?

booboo
16-04-2013, 09:18
Hi, I am new to the forum, I am trying to find out if Tenerife has a Dangerous dogs act? As we have a little Staffie cross.
Thanks in advance!

Malteser Monkey
16-04-2013, 09:25
Welcome to the forum:welcome:

What do you mean a dangerous dog act ?

booboo
16-04-2013, 10:07
Hi and thanks for the welcome! A lot of countries have rules set by the government that ban or imposed certain regulations on certain breeds. A few years ago Staffs/Staffie mix where banned in France now you can take one but they must wear a mussel etc. Six years ago when we wanted to travel through Germany Staffs/staffie mix where banned except in transit with conditions attached.

Malteser Monkey
16-04-2013, 10:17
Hi and thanks for the welcome! A lot of countries have rules set by the government that ban or imposed certain regulations on certain breeds. A few years ago Staffs/Staffie mix where banned in France now you can take one but they must wear a mussel etc. Six years ago when we wanted to travel through Germany Staffs/staffie mix where banned except in transit with conditions attached.

Thank you - I was thinking something totally different

sundownersvince
16-04-2013, 10:24
Sticky Vicky! :D

Malteser Monkey
16-04-2013, 10:51
Sticky Vicky! :D

That's what I was thinking, glad you said it :whistle::D

anegib
16-04-2013, 12:15
Because my big softie weighs 39kilos had to get a license from ayuntimento, register him on dangerous dogs list, insure him and if I take him out in public he has to wear a muzzle. Also had a police check done on me and had to have a certificate of mental competence to own him. Hope this helps.

Suej
16-04-2013, 12:48
Because my big softie weighs 39kilos had to get a license from ayuntimento, register him on dangerous dogs list, insure him and if I take him out in public he has to wear a muzzle. Also had a police check done on me and had to have a certificate of mental competence to own him. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for this info anegib! A neighbours dog got attacked last Sunday by a staffie (owned by another neighbour) the Police were called as there were witnesses! The dog is mostly out on the road without a muzzle and is rarely on a lead. the attack was unprovoked and it actually knocked the owner sideways! the dog that was attacked around midnight had to be taken to an emergency vet and still has to have on-going treatment for severe bites! The owner of the staffy definitely needs to be assesed mentally as he is nothing but trouble in our community! he let off fireworks outside his house a while back and scared half the residents to death not to mention the poor animals! The case is now in the hands of the Guardia Civil but the owner of the staffie jumped in his car with the staffie and another dog that he owns and disappeared! It is nice to see that you are a responsible owner and even if your doggie is placid and well behaved are prepared to adhere to rules! wish there were more like you!:)

booboo
23-04-2013, 21:43
Hi, thanks for the replies! I have not yet had time to research it properly but it seems from anegib response it seems there is one!

I am really sorry but I don't know what "sticky Vicky" means?

Suej
23-04-2013, 21:55
Hi, thanks for the replies! I have not yet had time to research it properly but it seems from anegib response it seems there is one!

I am really sorry but I don't know what "sticky Vicky" means?

You're not alone there Booboo!:dontknow:

slodgedad
23-04-2013, 22:07
I have read this thread numeous times and I know France is well known for it's culinary expertise, but I still can't imagine why a dog would behave just because it had seafood on it's head.

Suej
23-04-2013, 22:20
I have read this thread numeous times and I know France is well known for it's culinary expertise, but I still can't imagine why a dog would behave just because it had seafood on it's head.

http://www.postsmile.net/img/19/1968.gif that's a keeper!

the_kat
24-04-2013, 14:27
Thanks very much for this info anegib! A neighbours dog got attacked last Sunday by a staffie (owned by another neighbour) the Police were called as there were witnesses! The dog is mostly out on the road without a muzzle and is rarely on a lead. the attack was unprovoked and it actually knocked the owner sideways! the dog that was attacked around midnight had to be taken to an emergency vet and still has to have on-going treatment for severe bites! The owner of the staffy definitely needs to be assesed mentally as he is nothing but trouble in our community! he let off fireworks outside his house a while back and scared half the residents to death not to mention the poor animals! The case is now in the hands of the Guardia Civil but the owner of the staffie jumped in his car with the staffie and another dog that he owns and disappeared! It is nice to see that you are a responsible owner and even if your doggie is placid and well behaved are prepared to adhere to rules! wish there were more like you!:)

Sue, thanks for sharing that. Can I ask do you know what, if anything the police have done about the owner of the Staffie? I'm only asking as on Sunday night our dog was attacked by a pitbull owned by one of our neighbors, also without a lead and muzzle. The dog was being walked by a minor(the daughter) as well, and after the incident they were nowhere to be found. Have hesitated to call the police as was hoping we could be adults and deal with it diplomatically and ask them to make sure they have it on a lead a muzzled from now on, however it's becoming apparent they are trying to keep a low profile. Saw them take the dogs out late last night, still running free!! Was planning on talking to them, but got a feeling they are going to be unpleasant about it, since they have been no where near to even just ask how our dog is! Just don't want to start a war so to speak, as they all know each other around here and us being the (fairly) new english faces on the block, last thing we want is hassle.
So just wondering, what action would the police take if we did report it, and how involved would we need to be in the process? Or do the police just deal with it on their own? Don't know 100% how to approach this situation :dontknow: (it's katy & nick btw Sue :))

Suej
24-04-2013, 14:48
Sue, thanks for sharing that. Can I ask do you know what, if anything the police have done about the owner of the Staffie? I'm only asking as on Sunday night our dog was attacked by a pitbull owned by one of our neighbors, also without a lead and muzzle. The dog was being walked by a minor(the daughter) as well, and after the incident they were nowhere to be found. Have hesitated to call the police as was hoping we could be adults and deal with it diplomatically and ask them to make sure they have it on a lead a muzzled from now on, however it's becoming apparent they are trying to keep a low profile. Saw them take the dogs out late last night, still running free!! Was planning on talking to them, but got a feeling they are going to be unpleasant about it, since they have been no where near to even just ask how our dog is! Just don't want to start a war so to speak, as they all know each other around here and us being the (fairly) new english faces on the block, last thing we want is hassle.
So just wondering, what action would the police take if we did report it, and how involved would we need to be in the process? Or do the police just deal with it on their own? Don't know 100% how to approach this situation :dontknow: (it's katy & nick btw Sue :))

It's only my opinion for what it's worth but you should try talking to the owner if he/she is not willing to listen to reason then you will have no choice but to denounce them to the Police! The best thing to do is as soon as you see the owner letting the dog run free without a muzzle is to phone the Police! tbh unless someone gets hurt they don't really seem to care! and by the time they get there the dog and owner have probably already disappeared! It's a terrible situation really! We now know that the same dog near our complex also attacked another person who was carrying a tiny dog on her shoulder the free running pitbull clawed her chest in an attempt to get to the little dog she was carrying! I am hoping to see her around to ask what happened!

Before anyone wants to attack for speaking about a certain breed in this way! don't bother! I know two other owners who have Staffie X's and they are gentle as babies! but their owners adhere to the law and still muzzle them!

I don't own a dog but I'm sure there are members who can advise you better than I Katy! Don't be intimidated by these irresponsible owners!http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2005.gif

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Are you the Katy and Nick? LOL!!!

the_kat
24-04-2013, 15:05
Are you the Katy and Nick? LOL!!![/QUOTE]

Lol yes the one and only haha! Thanks Sue, I know, just desperately want to avoid another run in with neighbors after what happened at the old place!! Going to have another chat when he gets home and see what we think is the best way. But this can't be allowed to happen again, Holly was very very lucky and got away with just a bad bite that needed a stitch and some antibiotics, and thats all thanks to Nick who jumped in to save her and eventually managed to wrestle the dog of her! Fortunately it didn't turn on him!!! It's not the dogs fault.....but there is a reason that these dogs are supposed to be kept on leads and muzzled, to avoid situations like this!! :mad: xxx

Suej
24-04-2013, 15:20
Where you been girl!!!?http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2035.gif

I was going to add that if it's the Nick I know he could deffo sort this one out! Yes I remember very well the problems you had with those nasty neighbours! But you can't just ignore what has happened! Owners from this complex have gone to the Ayuntamiento today to also lodge a complaint I will find out how they got on later and post here in case it helps anyone else! What helps the case here is that there were witnesses! but before the Police got here the guy had put both his dogs in his car and drove off! btw it was the Guardia that attended the scene and spoke to the witnesses! and they also came back the next day to check what house the owner of the dog lived at as they got no reply when the rang his bell! tbh it's the first time I have known the Police to follow up a dog attack. If you know the name of the man and his full address you could try going to the Council to see if he has the dog registered!

the_kat
24-04-2013, 15:40
Don't worry have no intention of letting it go!! Just considering the options for minimum stress!! Also as our house is situated want to make sure no one is going to start doing stupid things like throwing stuff over the wall or causing our dogs harm in any way. It's sad that we have to even think about these things but you hear some awful stories and I know first hand how sick and twisted some people can be :( If there were any witnesses I doubt they would speak up as they are all a bit pally pally, nick was ranting at some old guy about passing a message on to the owner(the old guy took the dogs off the girl when she got hold of them) and he made a comment about how the pitbull had a scratch on his eye!!! Yes well I'm sure Holly is terribly sorry she caught his eye with her paw as she was trying to claw her neck away from his teeth!!!! :wall: But when Nick was away and I took them out, the Alsatian they have was off it's lead and attacked Badger, different type of incident as Badger can hold his own against an Alsatian, different matter entirely with a pit bull. But I mention that because if it came to it there is a witness to that attack, my friend who was stopping with me that night was there too so at least have her, IF it comes to that!
I know where they live, but not names. Will see, there may be no way of avoiding getting the police involved. So annoying that if they had only been responsible...we would not be in this situation in the first place!! sigh!

carpenter
25-04-2013, 22:23

Only pedigree Staffs are allowed in France, no mixes of the breed!

Spain/Tenerife classes Staffs as a dangerous dog. Although not banned they must always be wearing a muzzle and kept on a lead when in public.
Insurance, Registration and even a special licence equivalent to gun license should be applied for to be completely legal. Don't forget your "Perro Peligrosso" sign for the house and garden.

But the main thing is the muzzle and lead, the police do take notice especially in built up areas and despite living in a tiny village next to San Miguel the police stopped me twice to tell me to muzzle my staffy cross.

Also make sure your pet passport clearly indicates your dog's breed as most vets in Tenerife will class it as a pitbull.

Suej
26-04-2013, 12:32
Don't worry have no intention of letting it go!! Just considering the options for minimum stress!! Also as our house is situated want to make sure no one is going to start doing stupid things like throwing stuff over the wall or causing our dogs harm in any way. It's sad that we have to even think about these things but you hear some awful stories and I know first hand how sick and twisted some people can be :( If there were any witnesses I doubt they would speak up as they are all a bit pally pally, nick was ranting at some old guy about passing a message on to the owner(the old guy took the dogs off the girl when she got hold of them) and he made a comment about how the pitbull had a scratch on his eye!!! Yes well I'm sure Holly is terribly sorry she caught his eye with her paw as she was trying to claw her neck away from his teeth!!!! :wall: But when Nick was away and I took them out, the Alsatian they have was off it's lead and attacked Badger, different type of incident as Badger can hold his own against an Alsatian, different matter entirely with a pit bull. But I mention that because if it came to it there is a witness to that attack, my friend who was stopping with me that night was there too so at least have her, IF it comes to that!
I know where they live, but not names. Will see, there may be no way of avoiding getting the police involved. So annoying that if they had only been responsible...we would not be in this situation in the first place!! sigh!

The lady who's dog got attacked has been to the Ayuntamiento yesterday in Arona she was told that the administrator for this department had moved and sent her somewhere else the other person could not even be bothered to find the complaints form from last year and told her that the Police must deal with it and she has to go back to get another report from them! So much for the laws!http://www.postsmile.net/img/19/1968.gif

PS!

The vet's bill for her injured dog is in excess of 200€

booboo
11-06-2013, 12:08

LOL No neither can I LOl

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you everyone, this has helped a lot! Yes it is such a shame that a few bad owners give this breed a bad name. My old girl has never showed any aggression to any one or anything thing, she is a sweetie who has shared her space with lots of creatures great and small, in fact we have a male duck who takes great pleasure in chasing her away from what his water :)))
I have also owned a pit bull who was just as gentle, her name was Booboo :)