PDA

View Full Version : Do members ever sew?

Margaretta
16-04-2013, 20:55
I am watching the sewing programme on TV.
Brilliant to see what they are achieving in such a short time.
I learnt to darn Dad's socks, sew on a button, hem, make a pin cushion, put in a zip, tackle a few embroidery stitches and manipulate an electric sewing machine.
I can't do any of these well....mostly desperation. Threading a needle is a huge problem.I am really tense and irritable when having to sew.
Mum made all my clothes when I was young and knitted beautifully, my grandmother embroidered, made lace and crotcheted and my aunt created some fabulous embroidery and knitted. My uncle made rugs and wove with a loom. I feel as though I'm letting them down and am sad to see these crafts go. I just haven't the enthusiasm and patience.
How about Forum members: do you make and create with fabrics? Do you enjoy it or is it a chore?

marbro8
16-04-2013, 21:56
the only thing i have ever sewn margaretta are my oats;)

Malteser Monkey
16-04-2013, 22:07
Yes hun I do - i learnt to knit,sew and darn, but only out of necessity now:D

and a few oats marbro8

Santiago
16-04-2013, 22:08
Yes, Margaretta, I sew and have done all my life. My Mum was brilliant and could do smocking and embroidery on dresses as well as making them from scratch and she taught both me and my sister to make our own clothes. I didn't have a dress bought from a shop until I was eight and although it was a nice dress it never felt as nice as my Mum's home-made ones.

I don't sew as much now as I used to because the cost of the material is so much greater compared with buying the finished article. However, I do find it useful to be able to shorten trousers or shorts, or take in the side seams of articles which are too big.

We also knitted and crocheted in our house and my sister was really good at tatting (a sort of lace making) and embroidery, and she also made several rugs. I was pretty good at knitting but always got in a muddle with making lace so gave that up fairly early on. I still have a lot of things that I have made because they last much better than shop-bought goods.

Don't let it get to you Margaretta, you may be glad one day that you can do these things.

Margaretta
16-04-2013, 23:26
Wow! What talented people!
I had forgotten tatting....was that with wool and a cotton reel with four small nails in the top? It made a long cylindrical and colourful tube for a belt or tie. You could also sew it round and round to make a small mat.
I did once try a round rug made of plaited tights but it needed a lot of sewing and tended to curve upwards!!??

YOUNG GOLFER
16-04-2013, 23:30
I knew this thread would have me in stitches.......pfft

finca18jrl
17-04-2013, 06:54
Love it all! I have always sewn and still love it and am loving the BBC program. Crochet was something passed down from my Nan, which I love but never do now (all those lovely lace edged cloths!). Tatting lace is beautiful... Tatting video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljXBGDVwEIU

sundownersvince
17-04-2013, 10:39
I've been stitched up once or twice.....

longtallalice
17-04-2013, 15:10
used to sew when in my teens , then stopped . my late mum was the best knitter in the world but i was never ispired to learn used to design patterns for friends then she would knit them up. but since moving to tenerife i have started making handbags from recycled clothes , jeans etc , bought an industrial sewing machine and set up a workshop, if anyone wants anything making let me know , all profits help feed my foster dogs at my kennels

melm
17-04-2013, 18:35
Wow! What talented people!
I had forgotten tatting....was that with wool and a cotton reel with four small nails in the top? It made a long cylindrical and colourful tube for a belt or tie. You could also sew it round and round to make a small mat.
I did once try a round rug made of plaited tights but it needed a lot of sewing and tended to curve upwards!!??

think we called this French knitting ......nice memories of the times when I did most of the things mentioned. My grannie had endless patience and taught us to embroider knit sew on buttons etc. As i got older i went to night classes for dressmaking and this programme is reminding me of some of the things i made . As a left hander it was very difficult for me to crochet but eventually mastered it and now can crochet most things.

Nowadays i spent my time crocheting hats and pram covers for all the new additions to the family as well as making blankets for the red cross. I have to buy the wool to make these blankets which must fit a cot 3feet wide and 6feet long. Dont mind the expense as it is my hobby and would be lost without it.

warbey
17-04-2013, 20:38

When at Primary School, I had a Teacher who was probably the Best ever, for Me at least.
I was about 9, and got fed up with a Male Teachers Classes of Woodwork.

I had discovered Girls too, so I asked to join Embroidery Classes.
Yes, I was accepted, and proceeded to make a Dressing Table set of Silk Embroidered Doileys.
These were actually kept by Teacher, and She told Me this quite a few Years Later, when We met by chance.

I sad to say, do very little now, but I had a Sewing Machine and used to make Clothes for My Wife and Children from time to time..

Most Men wont admit to being able to sew, but I reckon most ex Soldiers can do a few basics.

I expect Margaretta that the New Glasses may just make threading a Needle a little easier Hun..?

marbro8
17-04-2013, 20:46

When at Primary School, I had a Teacher who was probably the Best ever, for Me at least.
I was about 9, and got fed up with a Male Teachers Classes of Woodwork.

I had discovered Girls too, so I asked to join Embroidery Classes.
Yes, I was accepted, and proceeded to make a Dressing Table set of Silk Embroidered Doileys.
These were actually kept by Teacher, and She told Me this quite a few Years Later, when We met by chance.

I sad to say, do very little now, but I had a Sewing Machine and used to make Clothes for My Wife and Children from time to time..

Most Men wont admit to being able to sew, but I reckon most ex Soldiers can do a few basics.

I expect Margaretta that the New Glasses may just make threading a Needle a little easier Hun..?bloody ell warbey, you are the forums alexander mcqueen:D i to used to sew at school in needlework class and excelled at home economic's ;)

warbey
17-04-2013, 20:52

Yes marbro8, I was usually skint too......:D:D

canarybird
17-04-2013, 23:01
I used to sew my own clothes when my daughters were small and also made a lot of their dresses.

That was when little girls went out to play wearing dresses!

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Family/Portraits-of-My-Daughters/i-BzLCqrN/0/M/NR11-M.jpg
In our Vancouver garden

When I first came to Spain I didn't have a sewing machine (too poor to buy one) so I did all my sewing by hand stitching, which included making their dresses and sewing curtains.

I did make some nice dressy outfits from silk and velvet for the girls when they were grown up but now limit my needlework to sewing on buttons and putting up hems on trousers and in some cases just do that with iron-on sticky tape. :)

angiebabes
18-04-2013, 21:14
think we called this French knitting ......nice memories of the times when I did most of the things mentioned. My grannie had endless patience and taught us to embroider knit sew on buttons etc. As i got older i went to night classes for dressmaking and this programme is reminding me of some of the things i made . As a left hander it was very difficult for me to crochet but eventually mastered it and now can crochet most things.

Nowadays i spent my time crocheting hats and pram covers for all the new additions to the family as well as making blankets for the red cross. I have to buy the wool to make these blankets which must fit a cot 3feet wide and 6feet long. Dont mind the expense as it is my hobby and would be lost without it.

We called this corking! Ued a wooden cotton reel, hammered in tacks into top then cast on wool and pulled it over each tack with bodkin making cylindrical tubes which we made into mats etc. just started teaching my granddaughter! She's 4 and loving it. I used to knit and sew when family were small. After a recent bereavement started knitting again and found it totally absorbing and relaxing. Just knitted fairisle cardi for my daughter. Work of sheer love but so pleased with result. Also sewing clothes especially for the summer as much easier . Love The Sewing Bee, great and I think Ann is a classic!