PDA

View Full Version : Other Could we survive a Mega-Tsunami?

Fivepence
19-04-2013, 12:19
This was a television programme on BBC2 last night at 21:00.

I've put it in the Tenerife section because the experts claim that the Canary Isles could be the source of the danger.

I found it really interesting and the use of computer generated graphics was amazing.

Watch it on catch up if you missed it.

Could it happen one day???????????????

Malteser Monkey
19-04-2013, 12:20
This was a television programme on BBC2 last night at 21:00.

I've put it in the Tenerife section because the experts claim that the Canary Isles could be the source of the danger.

I found it really interesting and the use of computer generated graphics was amazing.

Watch it on catch up if you missed it.

Could it happen one day???????????????

Is this about La Palma ?

Fivepence
19-04-2013, 12:22
Is this about La Palma ?

Yes it was..............and a bit scary if it happens.

junglejim
19-04-2013, 12:39
An old story redone for TV -just where would you invest -on a Volcanic Island with a threat of wipeout?
Think I may have boobed!

Fivepence
19-04-2013, 12:42
An old story redone for TV -just where would you invest -on a Volcanic Island with a threat of wipeout?
Think I may have boobed!

I didn't know it had been done before JJ...............:sorry:

I did find it interesting though.

junglejim
19-04-2013, 12:49
I didn't know it had been done before JJ...............:sorry:

I did find it interesting though.

No need for apology -itīs a new presentation of old wellknown theories - eg from2004
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3553368.stm

also 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzm49fUSCPk

Angusjim
19-04-2013, 13:13
Think I may have boobed!

JJ surley the estate agent would have explained the pitfalls of buying on a volcanic island just after he warned you about the illegal letting senario when you made your purchase:whistle::doh:

Bhamannette
19-04-2013, 13:22
Thats weird, I had a a real vivid dream about a week ago that I was in Tenerife, up a mountain (hotel/hospital not sure) standing in front of a huge window watching a tsunami heading towards us, first wave fell short but second one took out the window, next thing I was trying to get down the hill to Eugenio to rescue my husband who was in the pub...

Santiago
19-04-2013, 13:28
I watched it and you are quite right, jj, it has been done several times before by various tv companies. This version was quite tame compared with some of the others - the Discovery Channel has had some really terrifying graphics on some of their versions. The Mega Tsunami in the Atlantic, for those who missed it, is based on a theory that there is going to be an enormous catastrophic landslip on the western side of La Palma , and if you look at the island on Google Earth you can see where previous landslips have been and where the the last big earthquake virtually split the island. It was not mentioned, however, that the water which has filtered down through the rocks could also be a cause of a landslip as well as another earthquake or volcano.

NB As they have talked about the tsunami being at least one kilometre high, then make sure you move to somewhere which is well over 1000 metres (3280 ft)!!!!!

Malteser Monkey
19-04-2013, 13:39
Thats weird, I had a a real vivid dream about a week ago that I was in Tenerife, up a mountain (hotel/hospital not sure) standing in front of a huge window watching a tsunami heading towards us, first wave fell short but second one took out the window, next thing I was trying to get down the hill to Eugenio to rescue my husband who was in the pub...

Ohh dear :lol:

TF1
19-04-2013, 14:34
The sea surrounding the Western Canary Islands is quite deep, so the chance of a tsunami developing from close range seismic activity is low. And don't confuse the islands being a source of a tsunami and receiving one. For example, a large landslide into the Atlantic from the West face of LP could cause a far stronger tsunami on the East Coast of the US but would probably have a minimal effect on closer islands.

sundownersvince
19-04-2013, 20:03
Hmmm, Gran Canaria looks like a good bet for safety. Nicely shielded by Tenerife it is. Just had a look on Google Earth to see if La Gomera might shield us. Errr, No.

irishmusico
19-04-2013, 20:50
That was one miserable piece of what if TV I have ever seen. Granted,it could happen but the conclusion was that you couldn't prepare for it. I wanted to stop watching it but the graphics were cool :)

Great scaremongering program.I would recommend it if you are a worrier or a conspiracy buff.Since we all got killed in the first 10 minutes,it kind of ruined it for me. :)

junglejim
19-04-2013, 23:36
Sean do you know something ? Roque Del Conde, up the hill is starting to look good!

marbro8
19-04-2013, 23:53
so should we move from the comparative safety of the high land mass of the midlands to the tsunamei threatened land mass of the canaries:D

seanocelt
20-04-2013, 02:03
Sean do you know something ? Roque Del Conde, up the hill is starting to look good!

Knowing my luck i will be down the hill buying milk when it strikes. Still, always look on the bright side of life folks. Failing that, keep watching the telly.Deary me.

ribuck
20-04-2013, 11:42
Well, Vilaflor is 1400 metres altitude, so you should be safe from tsunamis there. On the other hand, Tenerife sprouts a new volcano once every hundred years or so, which might wipe out Vilaflor.

sunseeker
20-04-2013, 17:20
surely a tsunami gets bigger the further it travels, so we'd be fine in tenerife but the real risk would be at the other side of the Atlantic where the wave would be biggest. also tenerife has a very steep inclination. it gets a lot higher than sea level very fast. tsunamis cause devastation in very flat countries that do not rise much above sea level. if a tsunami hit tenerife itd probably not get further than the beach.

carpenter
20-04-2013, 18:22
So what if Teide goes bang and the lava starts to flow and the shores are under threat from a tsunami? I know what I would do, I'd climb aboard my pet elephant and fly off to never never land to party with the fairies, elves and God!

sunseeker
20-04-2013, 18:45
oh my god! were all going to die! :rolleyes:

canarybird
20-04-2013, 20:41
Well the La Palma tsunami theory has been knocking around since 2001 but it seems we'll have to wait another 10,000 years for any possibility that it will happen.

http://lapalma-island.com/the-tsunami-risk/

Malteser Monkey
21-04-2013, 13:04
Well the La Palma tsunami theory has been knocking around since 2001 but it seems we'll have to wait another 10,000 years for any possibility that it will happen.

http://lapalma-island.com/the-tsunami-risk/

Good coz even I won't be around then:D

Margaretta
21-04-2013, 16:36
When El Gofio, the vast bay of El Hierro, was formed the tsunami reached the coast of America.
Microlights could well be the answer.....:wink2: