PDA

View Full Version : Why was the Monarch flight from Luton diverted to Tenerife North on 19th April?

Su1
19-04-2013, 15:38
Does anyone know why the early Monarch flight from Luton was diverted to Tenerife North? Intially I thought perhaps it
was industrial action at Tenerife south again, but no other Monarch flight was diverted.
Did the return flight take off from the north or the south.....it was still showing the south on the aena website saying it took
off approximately two hours late
Just interested.....to know why..!!!!

rob897
19-04-2013, 17:15
Thought its runway couldnt handle international traffic or something, surprised ryanair don't operate out the north with there money saving ways...

trevorife2
19-04-2013, 20:12
The windscreen cracked and the pilot had to fly low . Then the airport lost contact with pilot and this caused an emergency situation and the plane was diverted north

warbey
19-04-2013, 20:25
I hope there will be a report on this Incident at some time.

With a small knowledge of Air travel matters Your reason raised more questions than it answered.

Thankyou for going to the trouble of telling us what You know.....

trevorife2
19-04-2013, 20:28
Hi warbey .. I read this in the on line version of tenerife weekly

warbey
19-04-2013, 20:34
Thankyou.

I was puzzled, as most approaches have Tenerife to the Left of the Plane, and it goes past teide which is higher at one point. Following this approach gets to TFS first. Would this cause loss of Contact.?

I suspect the Lower altitude would be on account of Pressurisation which would mean about 6 thousand feet.

The usual diversion (I think) is Las Palmas, so I am left wondering..?

Not Your fault... more Mine for being nosey....lol

ciderhunter
19-04-2013, 20:47
Thought its runway couldnt handle international traffic or something, surprised ryanair don't operate out the north with there money saving ways...

The air disaster at the northern airport was between two jumbos, so the landing strip is certainly long enough for anything. The first flights to Tenerife by Ryanair was to the northern airport and after a while they moved south stating that the south is where most of it's passengers wanted to go. It is a shame Ryanair didn't keep some flights at the northern airport as I am sure that it would help the economy up there.

rob897
19-04-2013, 21:59
The air disaster at the northern airport was between two jumbos, so the landing strip is certainly long enough for anything. The first flights to Tenerife by Ryanair was to the northern airport and after a while they moved south stating that the south is where most of it's passengers wanted to go. It is a shame Ryanair didn't keep some flights at the northern airport as I am sure that it would help the economy up there.

not complaining that they go to the south, hope they stay there!

Megaloo
19-04-2013, 22:27
not complaining that they go to the south, hope they stay there!

No we want some to the North please

sundownersvince
19-04-2013, 22:42
The planes usually approach via a small 1km across island called Savage Island which is 100 Nautical Miles NNE of Tenerife. From this point Tenerife North airport is considerably closer than the South Airport. Some of you may have spotted the Island, it turns up about 5 minutes before they start their descent. Google Earth.

Harmonicaman
19-04-2013, 22:57
It was the frequent fogs that spelled the end for Los Rodeos...That was a major part of the '77 disaster.

Edit: As the main International airport for the Island I mean,

rob897
19-04-2013, 22:58
No we want some to the North please

as long as they don't all go there ;)

marbro8
19-04-2013, 23:03
The planes usually approach via a small 1km across island called Savage Island which is 100 Nautical Miles NNE of Tenerife. From this point Tenerife North airport is considerably closer than the South Airport. Some of you may have spotted the Island, it turns up about 5 minutes before they start their descent. Google Earth.i have still got my head in my hands and tummy in my mouth by then so no i don't think i have spotted it:lol:

doreen
20-04-2013, 08:33
Thankyou.

I was puzzled, as most approaches have Tenerife to the Left of the Plane, and it goes past teide which is higher at one point. Following this approach gets to TFS first. Would this cause loss of Contact.?

I suspect the Lower altitude would be on account of Pressurisation which would mean about 6 thousand feet.

The usual diversion (I think) is Las Palmas, so I am left wondering..?

Not Your fault... more Mine for being nosey....lol

The local paper Diario de Avisos is reporting it slightly differently ... saying the plane with the problem landed in the South under emergency conditions, so the Monarch plane was diverted to the North, presumably to keep the runways clear ?

Un problema técnico en un avión procedente de Glasgow (Escocia) activó el protocolo de emergencia en el Aeropuerto Tenerife Sur Reina Sofía esta mañana.

Según fuentes oficiales, el comandante de la aeronave que solicitó a volar a baja altura, tras tener un pequeño problema en una de sus ventanillas -no se produjo una desprezurización de la cabina-, aterrizando sin más contratiempos en la instalación tinerfeña.

Debido a esta situación, un vuelo de Monarch Airlines procedente del aeropuerto de Luton (Londres) fue desviado al aeropuerto Tenerife Norte.

http://www.diariodeavisos.com/vuelo-procedente-del-reino-unido-aterriza-en-reina-sofia/

junglejim
20-04-2013, 09:13
The local paper Diario de Avisos is reporting it slightly differently ... saying the plane with the problem landed in the South under emergency conditions, so the Monarch plane was diverted to the North, presumably to keep the runways clear ?

Un problema técnico en un avión procedente de Glasgow (Escocia) activó el protocolo de emergencia en el Aeropuerto Tenerife Sur Reina Sofía esta mañana.

Según fuentes oficiales, el comandante de la aeronave que solicitó a volar a baja altura, tras tener un pequeño problema en una de sus ventanillas -no se produjo una desprezurización de la cabina-, aterrizando sin más contratiempos en la instalación tinerfeña.

Debido a esta situación, un vuelo de Monarch Airlines procedente del aeropuerto de Luton (Londres) fue desviado al aeropuerto Tenerife Norte.

http://www.diariodeavisos.com/vuelo-procedente-del-reino-unido-aterriza-en-reina-sofia/

I hope it wasn´t another Ryanair flight claiming a " technical problem " to get a quick landing due to light fuel load - they have been accused of this several times on the mainland .

warbey
20-04-2013, 19:53

Thanks Doreen. That makes more sense, but Now I wonder which Plane was guilty , pressurisation Loss suddenly would be an Emergency, or was it Ryanair, as per JJ.?

Nice to see You back, Ive missed You..!

essexeddie
20-04-2013, 20:09
Never seen that Island, first I've heard of it.

Medanoman
22-04-2013, 03:09
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=30.110903&lon=-15.864549&z=12.1&r=5&src=msl

scroll out to see Tenerife appear to the south

The Selvagem Grande Island (lit. Big Wild/Savage Island) is part of the Savage Islands, which themselves are part of the Portuguese Madeira archipelago in the North Atlantic Ocean.

The island (size: 2000 x 1700 m) belongs to the Northeast Group of the Savage Islands, which comprises in addition three islets: Sinho Islet (Portuguese: Ilhéu Sinho, diminutive of só, "lonely",[1] maybe a pun on the same pronounced Ilheucinho, "Little Islet), Palheiro do Mar, and Palheiro de Terra.

essexeddie
22-04-2013, 16:30
Well I never, you learn something every day.

AL JAY
22-04-2013, 16:47
Well I never, you learn something every day.

Take a look on this thread from a while back Eddie,It mentions Cory Shearwaters that live on Savage island and they are often seen around Callao Salvaje!

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?18030-Strange-bird-in-night-sky&highlight=CORY+shearwaters

Dan747
23-04-2013, 02:59
It mentions Cory Shearwaters that live on Savage island and they are often seen around Callao Salvaje!

Ah yes the birds that sound like they are laughing as they fly over at dusk! First time we heard them we named them the laughing bird, took a while to find out what they actually were!