PDA

View Full Version : Laws & Regulations Spanish health & safety regulations for businesses

Javi
20-04-2013, 15:39
Hello everyone,

I wonder how many of you are running businesses here in Tenerife, another Island or even on the mainland. Also I am wondering if, among other duties, you as a owner or employer are aware of which your health and safety liabilities are and what would be the concecuencies for not complying with them.

If you have, at least, one employee, then the whole set of H&S regulations are applied to your business whichever type it be.

As a experienced health & safety consultant I could give you some advice - for free - Just send a pm.

Keep on working ...safely.

Fivepence
20-04-2013, 15:53
From what I have seem in the Canary Islands and Spain you will never be short of work Javi.

Dangerous floor coverings (when wet), dangerous holes in walkways, dangerous electrics.............................the list is endless!

Loaded
20-04-2013, 16:03
I think I'm right in saying every company is legally obliged to employ a h&s company - my Eyes glaze over every time they visit......

Javi
21-04-2013, 07:44
From what I have seem in the Canary Islands and Spain you will never be short of work Javi.

Dangerous floor coverings (when wet), dangerous holes in walkways, dangerous electrics.............................the list is endless!

You're right.

Last year I visited Germany, Malta and England (several times) and there's also plenty of work to do there.

Compliance depend highly on employers and managers' commitment rather than laws and tons of paperwork.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I think I'm right in saying every company is legally obliged to employ a h&s company - my Eyes glaze over every time they visit......

No, that is a common error. If you have less that 10 employees on a low-level-risk company (i.e.: fashion retails, bars, restaurants...) you could manage the H&S by yourself (only need to hire the health surveillance). In addition, you must get a basci diploma in occupational health and safety which is cheap and easy to get.

Angusjim
21-04-2013, 07:57

Loaded you want to try the UK its completely mental from what I see in Tenerife most places would have to spend major money to comply and as for Canarian building sites well nothing would be built at all using H&S regulations from the UK:(

Javi
21-04-2013, 17:00
Angusjim.

UK H&S regulations and the Spanish ones are equals. In fact, the Spanish ones are more restrictive in certain points. Both have the same aim and put on employers' backs the same vast range of duties and levels of responsibilities. We cannot forget the fact that many of this regulations come from European Directives.

What are the differences then? Simple (or complex), the enforcement level and courts prosecutions are respectively higher and faster in the UK. Also, in Spain there's a tendency to only complying with the paperwork...