PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted Which is the best town to buy a restaurant/bar in Tenerife?

tenerife13
25-04-2013, 22:25
Hi I'm Planning to but a business bar/restaurant in tenereif.WHICH town will be the best for this business?I currently have Las Christianos in mind.Any advice?

Thanks,

9PLUS
25-04-2013, 22:31
What type of bar/rest. ?

timmylish
26-04-2013, 01:36
Just how well do you know this Island and please excuse me 'cause your posting suggests not that well, ie spelling of place names Tenerife and Los Cristianos!

slodgedad
26-04-2013, 01:55
Methinks a little more basic research is in order.

CIM
26-04-2013, 08:51
Depends how quickly you would like to lose all of your money.
An alternative is to wait for The annual "Noche de San Juan" where thousands gather on the beaches here and light bonfires, enjoy BBQ´s etc then instead of going through all of the rigamarole of buying a bar and losing your money you can instead just throw it all on the fire and save yourself some time.

kiwiphil
26-04-2013, 09:06
Why even ask for advice? You clearly intend ignoring all of it.

I think we need a members' sweep on how long your bar in Los Chris stays open. Shall we say £10 for an entry? I would like 14 months.

bonitatime
26-04-2013, 09:26
Do you think 14 months is the average
I think it's a lot less

That said it depends what sort of bar you want which clients you want to appeal to and what you can afford.

doreen
26-04-2013, 09:35
tenerife13, you mentioned two families are planning to relocate here. Whilst both working partners have experience, you really need on the ground knowledge before progressing with your plans. We may seem a cynical lot on here, but many of us have either experienced the trade ourselves, or seen the many people with similar dreams such as yours, lose so much.

Look at the business websites and you will see many places for sale, often saying "newly refurbished" and "successful" ... whilst names are not mentioned, most are recognisable and some we could tell you have changed hands two, three or even more times over a few very short years (the only good business there is often only for the landlord or agent)

Do try to read as much of this Forum as you can - you probably won't want to think in terms of a Limited Company (SL), search out terms such as going on a Modulo system (table tax), Autonomos (self employed). Licences are supposed to be easier to get these days (thank you Herr Bolkestein !!) but some of the kitchen requirements can seem extreme. Illegal Lettings clampdown & All Inclusive affect business - you would need to know what areas are more at risk or have seen a downturn.

60,000 may seem a large investment to you, but it will be gobbled up quickly here by buying a business, a car/van etc and new residency regulations will want to see proof of private health cover.

Can I respectfully suggest you arrive over for a family holiday, bring someone with you to look after the twins, and do some foot slogging ... see how many bars are competing with 1 euro pints, all you can eat breakfasts for less than 3 euros; look how empty some places are on change over days (Tuesday & Fridays)

kiwiphil
26-04-2013, 11:17
You have a better chance in Los Gigantes / Puerto de la Cruz, where the tourism is a bit more upmarket and the competition is more around what you provide than the cost.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Do you think 14 months is the average
I think it's a lot less

It probably is. So how many months do you want in the sweep?

doreen
26-04-2013, 11:29
You have a better chance in Los Gigantes / Puerto de la Cruz, where the tourism is a bit more upmarket and the competition is more around what you provide than the cost

Some would claim that Los Gigantes is one of the worst hit places due to less Illegal Lettings.

kiwiphil
26-04-2013, 16:42
Some would claim that Los Gigantes is one of the worst hit places due to less Illegal Lettings.

The only people I have heard complaining about the impact of the illegal letting clampdown are the people doing the lettings - not the bar owners. I am happy to be corrected but I really think that the number of hotel beds in each town available in each town is an order of magnitude greater than that available privately.

How many bar / restaurant owners are there on the forum?

warbey
26-04-2013, 20:25
On 60k, I will go for 8 months..

bonitatime
26-04-2013, 21:12
On 60k, I will go for 8 months..

Doreen has given you some great advice please think carefully. No one is saying it cant be done but it will be hard. I have a friend with a bar, no food so no waste but some dbeings when i go by there is no one in.

Two families I will take 5 months but it would give me great pleasure if you prove us wrong.

tenerife13
26-04-2013, 22:05
Doreen,
Thanks for the advice.It is very helpful.I am planning to travel there in August for 10 days.It will be a fact finding trip where I and my business partner will try to take as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks for the replies Guys and checking my spellings >timmy!
I have been to tenerife twice and plan is to buy a bar/restaurant (abt 50-60 seater)It is not final as I am planning to visit again in August and will try to gain as much knowledge as possible.Currently what I am looking for is advice as to which town should I visit where success rate can/might be slightly higher for bar/restaurant.

bonitatime
26-04-2013, 22:32
The busiest áreas in the south are Los Cristianos and the centre of PDLA
Not sure you can buy a place for that sort of money but perhaps a léase

Tom & Sharon
27-04-2013, 13:24
Doreen,
Thanks for the advice.It is very helpful.I am planning to travel there in August for 10 days.It will be a fact finding trip where I and my business partner will try to take as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks for the replies Guys and checking my spellings >timmy!
I have been to tenerife twice and plan is to buy a bar/restaurant (abt 50-60 seater)It is not final as I am planning to visit again in August and will try to gain as much knowledge as possible.Currently what I am looking for is advice as to which town should I visit where success rate can/might be slightly higher for bar/restaurant.

I wrote this thread a while ago, as a "tongue in cheek" description of all the people who come on here regularly and ask the kind of daft questions you're asking right now. Sorry to call you daft really, but honestly, give it a read - http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?21117-Who-is-moving-to-Tenerife-this-week

The people on here who are giving you advice, telling you not to do it know what they're talking about. They are trying to save you from yourself. Listen to them. If you don't, in 12 months time, you will look back at this thread and think "why didn't I listen to them?" And you will feel a right chump. Not only that, you will be a right chump with no money and a family to support!

Why have you chosen Tenerife? You have been here twice, and clearly don't know anything about it. How can that be a recipe for success?

So, you're going to come out in August for a reccie? The sun will be shining, the resorts will be full of young families having fun on the beach, and the bars will look busy and bustling. You'll look at all this and think "What a fab idea! How could it possibly fail?" Why not come on a rainy week in January? Maybe around the 10th, when all the families have gone home, and the resorts are full of OAP's in cardis and anoraks, who just might stop for a cup of tea if you're lucky. And that will be to wash down the ham sandwich they've got in their anorak pocket that they made up before they left their apartment, so that they stick to their 20€ a day spending budget!

primrose
27-04-2013, 13:36
I wrote this thread a while ago, as a "tongue in cheek" description of all the people who come on here regularly and ask the kind of daft questions you're asking right now. Sorry to call you daft really, but honestly, give it a read - http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?21117-Who-is-moving-to-Tenerife-this-week

The people on here who are giving you advice, telling you not to do it know what they're talking about. They are trying to save you from yourself. Listen to them. If you don't, in 12 months time, you will look back at this thread and think "why didn't I listen to them?" And you will feel a right chump. Not only that, you will be a right chump with no money and a family to support!

Why have you chosen Tenerife? You have been here twice, and clearly don't know anything about it. How can that be a recipe for success?

So, you're going to come out in August for a reccie? The sun will be shining, the resorts will be full of young families having fun on the beach, and the bars will look busy and bustling. You'll look at all this and think "What a fab idea! How could it possibly fail?" Why not come on a rainy week in January? Maybe around the 10th, when all the families have gone home, and the resorts are full of OAP's in cardis and anoraks, who just might stop for a cup of tea if you're lucky. And that will be to wash down the ham sandwich they've got in their anorak pocket that they made up before they left their apartment, so that they stick to their 20€ a day spending budget!

20 Euro's a day, did you not mean 20 Euros a week?:lol:

atlantico
27-04-2013, 13:38
when your customers are working, you'll be working

when your customers are sunbathing, you'll be working

when your customers are boozing, you'll be working

when your customers are sleeping, you'll be working

when your customers are on holidays, you'll be working

when your customers are at a friends BBQ, you'll be working

when your customers are at the beach, you'll be working

when your customers are at a restaurant with friends, you'll be working

when your customers are shopping, you'll be working

. . . . . . get my drift ? Still want it ?

boredinscotland
27-04-2013, 17:32
But, The Agent selling said it was a great opportunity, the people are selling it because they are buying a bigger bar as they ram it full every night:cry:
Scary the amount of money lost in this wee small Island

warbey
27-04-2013, 19:21
[QUOTE=T
?

So, you're going to come out in August for a reccie? The sun will be shining, the resorts will be full of young families having fun on the beach, and the bars will look busy and bustling. You'll look at all this and think "What a fab idea! How could it possibly fail?" Why not come on a rainy week in January? Maybe around the 10th, when all the families have gone home, and the resorts are full of OAP's in cardis and anoraks, who just might stop for a cup of tea if you're lucky. And that will be to wash down the ham sandwich they've got in their anorak pocket that they made up before they left their apartment, so that they stick to their 20€ a day spending budget![/QUOTE]

Sussed out at last.

The bread is from Breakfast, and it's Cheese Slices for Filling, also from Breakfast.. Ham is too dear......

I think the word is Lemmings, cos You can't stop them .

tenerife13
28-04-2013, 10:49
What type of bar/rest. ?

Hi 9Plus,
My budget is 60K so was thinking something like 50-60 seater serving food and drinks.So far all the advices that I have been getting from this forum have made me rethink of my whole plan of moving to tenerife.

Tickey
28-04-2013, 11:00
Very wise indeed :tiphat:

mike in chayofa
28-04-2013, 12:48
.........................So far all the advices that I have been getting from this forum have made me rethink of my whole plan of moving to tenerife.

In the present economic climate, a rethink is a very sensible thing to do.

doreen
28-04-2013, 14:05
Check out this post: very relevant to this thread http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?24051-Motown-City-Central-Showbar-Los-Cristianos-Tenerife&p=282597&viewfull=1#post282597

carpenter
28-04-2013, 14:13
some one else on here can help but I believe that the ferry terminal is moving from Los Cris to somewhere a little further up the coast near Piedra Hincada and Playa San Jaun.
It won't be finished for a while yet but I'd bet that will become a very affluent area.

Bob
28-04-2013, 15:13
Burger king down the strip is empty :)