PDA

View Full Version : Other Do forum members think that Tenerife would benefit from a theme park?

marbro8
28-04-2013, 11:40
i was just wondering if forum members think that tenerife would benefit from a theme park? like the ones in benidorm and salou, i know lots of people that actually only holiday in those places because of the parks, and here in the uk parks like alton towers thorpe park and drayton manor are always packed, especially in the summer, but with tenerif's climate they would be open all year round, it would certainly bring tourists to the island and much needed jobs;)

golf birdie
28-04-2013, 12:00
i was just wondering if forum members think that tenerife would benefit from a theme park? like the ones in benidorm and salou, i know lots of people that actually only holiday in those places because of the parks, and here in the uk parks like alton towers thorpe park and drayton manor are always packed, especially in the summer, but with tenerif's climate they would be open all year round, it would certainly bring tourists to the island and much needed jobs;)

I talked to someone a few years back who knows a lot about these parks and they said it would not pay. An example he gave was Busch gardens in Tampa had an average attendance of over 4 million a year and that park is not in the top 20 parks. On summer days they have 30,000 plus though the gates. They said a park like this needed a large local population to make it pay.

marbro8
28-04-2013, 12:10
I talked to someone a few years back who knows a lot about these parks and they said it would not pay. An example he gave was Busch gardens in Tampa had an average attendance of over 4 million a year and that park is not in the top 20 parks. On summer days they have 30,000 plus though the gates. They said a park like this needed a large local population to make it pay.i have been to both tera mitica and port adventura and to be honest they are not on the same scale as the ones in america they have about 2 main thrill rides like dragon khan and a lot of lesser thrill seeking rides, but i have known people travel to such destinations just to say they have ridden on it, and i would say that the population in tenerife was a lot larger than benidorm and salou:dontknow:, but having said that you could probably employ people from gran canaria,lanzarote?, they are not a million miles away

TF1
28-04-2013, 12:14
The Benidorm park had to be bailed out of receivership by the autonomous government due to severe debts, but I still believe that with the year round tourist traffic here, a well planned theme park on a sensible scale could succeed. (As long as the tour companies didn't try to create monopolies, and the political parties kept interference to a minimum).

golf birdie
28-04-2013, 12:16
i have been to both tera mitica and port adventura and to be honest they are not on the same scale as the ones in america they have about 2 main thrill rides like dragon khan and a lot of lesser thrill seeking rides, but i have known people travel to such destinations just to say they have ridden on it, and i would say that the population in tenerife was a lot larger than benidorm and salou:dontknow:, but having said that you could probably employ people from gran canaria,lanzarote?, they are not a million miles away

by population they meant people who could travel without notice (decide on the day) from 2 hours distance. Add up the numbers who could jump on a train or drive to Salou and be there within 2 hours.

marbro8
28-04-2013, 12:19
The Benidorm park had to be bailed out of receivership by the autonomous government due to severe debts, but I still believe that with the year round tourist traffic here, a well planned theme park on a sensible scale could succeed. (As long as the tour companies didn't try to create monopolies, and the political parties kept interference to a minimum). i totally agree i personally think that as you say run,built and planned correctly a theme park would be a major factor in bringing more tourists to tenerife

golf birdie
28-04-2013, 12:19
a very good park is the Warner Bro's just outside Madrid. Great rides.

marbro8
28-04-2013, 12:23
by population they meant people who could travel without notice (decide on the day) from 2 hours distance. Add up the numbers who could jump on a train or drive to Salou and be there within 2 hours.oh rite yes i understand, but again with there being another 3 main islands in the area how long would it take to hop on a ferry for a great day out to a major theme park, and if it takes more than a couple of hours then make a weekend of it and visit other attractions;)

golf birdie
28-04-2013, 12:41
it would be a huge investment, the land needed would cost a fortune plus top roller coasters can come in at over 15 million to build and you would need a few of them. The only way to get people to travel to these parks is to have the top rides. You would need hotels on site and great transport links. I think the Siam park came in at about 50 Million, a roller coaster park would dwarf this cost. I would say they would need around 7,000 people a day to make it work and even that may be too low[/I]

I would love to see it happen but I just can't see it. My dream holiday is to travel the US visiting all the great parks (done a few already) and I will live that dream in the near future.

marbro8
28-04-2013, 12:59
it would be a huge investment, the land needed would cost a fortune plus top roller coasters can come in at over 15 million to build and you would need a few of them. The only way to get people to travel to these parks is to have the top rides. You would need hotels on site and great transport links. I think the Siam park came in at about 50 Million, a roller coaster park would dwarf this cost. I would say they would need around 7,000 people a day to make it work and even that may be too low[/I]

I would love to see it happen but I just can't see it. My dream holiday is to travel the US visiting all the great parks (done a few already) and I will live that dream in the near future.yes i have been to florida but not since 1997:( so much has changed over the years, i remember when king kong and earthquake were the big new attractions then:lol:, but with the addition of a new little one to the family,well he's 30 months now, we would love to take our great nephew over and enjoy the experience of kids,and adults, enjoying the thrill of the attractions;)

Angusjim
28-04-2013, 13:43

To get it kicked off would require the biggest brown envelope ever seen in Tenerife:wink::crazy:

marbro8
28-04-2013, 14:42
To get it kicked off would require the biggest brown envelope ever seen in Tenerife:wink::crazy:it's hard to believe in this day and age that so much corruption goes undetected:(

Medman
28-04-2013, 15:19
To get it kicked off would require the biggest brown envelope ever seen in Tenerife:wink::crazy:

And if it did, I would need the biggest brown corduroys ever seen in Tenerife ....... :v3:

LUCKY
28-04-2013, 15:26
:feret: Our theme park here in a tiny hamlet as been going well for 2 years now, The theme is ferrets yes :feret:
we have doubled our attendance figures in the last 2 years. in twenty twelve and bear in mind we were up against the olympics. But doubled the attendance figures now we are doing great and yes the number of visitors doubled.
Three people attended. so this year could be a great a year as we will be errecting a signpost near the telephone box.
:feret::feret::feret::feret::feret:

marbro8
28-04-2013, 15:42
And if it did, I would need the biggest brown corduroys ever seen in Tenerife ....... :v3:i must admit i am terrified and have been shook to near tears on a number of occasions:lol:, but i am a bit of a dare devil and the feeling you get when you have done it and you are back on terra firma ;)

delderek
28-04-2013, 17:02
Remember Skypark it was beginning to do very well, and then came along came the plans for Siam Park, and suddenly Skypark did not have the correct licence, and was closed down. Some very big brown envelopes somewhere.

DeedeeTipperary
28-04-2013, 17:38

Excellent question Marbro :) This summer we were planning on foregoing our annual trip abroad due to a number of factors , house improvements , visitors from England and the States and so on . But as the months are sneaking by and after a really wet miserable winter we relented and said we would sneak a trip in mid -June before the visitors arrived and after our son finishes his state exams . Of course our thoughts straight away were flights to Tenerife :woo:
After pricing the flights to Tenerife , over 1700 euros for the four of us we changed our minds , to say I am gutted is an understatement :( So I then checked other destinations and found flights to Reus for 1000 euros and booked a two-bed apartment in Cambrills ( near Salou ) for 700 euros . So we have flights and accommodation for the same price as flights to Tenerife . Yes I do know it is a longer flight to Tenerife which does make it more expensive , but we were looking for a cheap break .
The upside of all this is my lot love PortAventura theme park so of course we will hit it with a bang a few times during our holiday , and also the Waterpark , Aquopolis . I will spend the time looking at them with my heart in my mouth :scared: and looking for a ride that wont make me throw up :)
But I think Tenerife has a beauty all of its own and does not need a theme park , Siam Park is amazing , and in a hot country a Waterpark is all that is needed . Having to stand in line for a ride for anywhere up to two hours ( which we had to do in PortAventura ) in extreme heat is not pleasant , at least in a Waterpark you get a chance to cool down whilst you take a ride . All that being said if Tenerife were to open a theme park like Salou I could see it influencing more people to holiday there .

marbro8
28-04-2013, 18:12
thanks for that deedee, just a thought then how about a theme park with a couple of water rides or pools just to keep visitors cool in between queuing for the rides, a golf birdie has said it would cost millions to build so a few mill on a few exrtra's wouldn't make any difference;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Remember Skypark it was beginning to do very well, and then came along came the plans for Siam Park, and suddenly Skypark did not have the correct licence, and was closed down. Some very big brown envelopes somewhere. i have only ever walked passed it and always thought why is it always closed when we walk past it:lol:

tracy hampshire
28-04-2013, 20:53
by what i have read just lately the tenerife government are now only aiming for the upmarket holiday makers, not the likes of you & i, who like a good family holiday, so the brown envelope would have to be megga x

marbro8
28-04-2013, 21:03
by what i have read just lately the tenerife government are now only aiming for the upmarket holiday makers, not the likes of you & i, who like a good family holiday, so the brown envelope would have to be megga xif the tenerife government did just aim for upmarket clientel then i think it would sound the death knell for the island:(

tracy hampshire
28-04-2013, 21:13
if the tenerife government did just aim for upmarket clientel then i think it would sound the death knell for the island:( me too but that is what i have read via tenerife based pages on facebook, now aiming for more up market clientel, walking holidays & cultural holidays, if you are on facebook check out residents of tenerife, janet keeps everyone updated on the latest news with quotes from the government, sad state of affairs is they are now trying to cut the throat that feeds them x

Ali.xx
28-04-2013, 22:19
I do. Would be a good alternative to sunbathing, drinking etc. I like aqualand and siam park but I'm not a fan of water rides!

jillyo
28-04-2013, 22:55
What would help bring more tourist to Tenerife is if the airline companies didn't turn into **** Turpin everytime children are on holiday...More families could afford to visit the beautiful island. :tiphat:

marbro8
28-04-2013, 22:58
What would help bring more tourist to Tenerife is if the airline companies didn't turn into **** Turpin everytime children are on holiday...More families could afford to visit the beautiful island. :tiphat:i love the way the swear filter blocked out richard's name:lol:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I do. Would be a good alternative to sunbathing, drinking etc. I like aqualand and siam park but I'm not a fan of water rides!i think that they all go together quite well:lol: and with addition of a them park the cheap drinking sunbathing and water parks etc would sound like paradise;)

slodgedad
29-04-2013, 01:20
me too but that is what i have read via tenerife based pages on facebook, now aiming for more up market clientel, walking holidays & cultural holidays, if you are on facebook check out residents of tenerife, janet keeps everyone updated on the latest news with quotes from the government, sad state of affairs is they are now trying to cut the throat that feeds them x
This has been 'official thinking' for as long as I remember, but it's all rhetoric.

The 'status quo' will remain as long as the supply of brown envelopes continues.

bonitatime
29-04-2013, 08:45
Theme parks need an enormous catchment which really isn't here. Interestingly the park in Salou was owned by one of the big film studios but when it didn't make money they gave it up. (Age is creeping in as I did know who)
All of the big parks in Spain have had problems at one time involving rescues and restructuring.
It would be great but not sure it is financially viable.

They applied for the EuroVegas which finally went to Madrid. Location is a problem. Even Salou wasn't regarded as central enough for Disney who finally went to northern France, although they got an outstanding deal there which was partly why they chose Marne la Valle

TF1
29-04-2013, 09:45
What would help bring more tourist to Tenerife is if the airline companies didn't turn into **** Turpin everytime children are on holiday...More families could afford to visit the beautiful island. :tiphat:
The downside if a theme park ever was located here is that flight prices from the UK and mainland would increase even more.

marbro8
29-04-2013, 17:47
;)
The downside if a theme park ever was located here is that flight prices from the UK and mainland would increase even more.would they though? i think with a massive attraction like a theme park other airlines would be interested in supplying routes, therefor making it more competitive?

kathml
29-04-2013, 18:01
I think you would need a population in excess of 10 million within an hour or so to make it work remember Tenerife has a population of only two million and at the moment very few child visitors

Also the average wage of the resident population is very low look at what the admission charges for most parks are and work out how many could afford to go more than once in a long time

bonitatime
29-04-2013, 18:33
10 millon within an hour?
Morocco, southern Spain who have Isla Mágica or southern Portugal?

marbro8
29-04-2013, 18:56
I think you would need a population in excess of 10 million within an hour or so to make it work remember Tenerife has a population of only two million and at the moment very few child visitors

Also the average wage of the resident population is very low look at what the admission charges for most parks are and work out how many could afford to go more than once in a long timebut wouldn't it depend on the scale of the theme park? i agree if you built one the size of universal in orlando then yes 10 mill but say the size of tera mitica? which is smaller than port adventura:dontknow:

warbey
29-04-2013, 19:21
If Anyone has the Figures, I suggest You add the Numbers of Visitors

to Loro Park and Siam Park together. That is the Potential.

I wouldnt rely on Population Figures completely, because Holidaymakers are changing Daily so the Potential Visitors Total, is greater....

I would be inclined to see if Siam Park could be improved with more Variety of Attractions.

The Zoo needs looking at too, as it seems too low Profile at present.

A big Attraction would require more Infrastructure, and I dont think that would

be in line with the Master Plan. I also reckon there would be a lot of Local Opposition too.