PDA

View Full Version : Should we give to charities after considering what the donations are spent on?

Fivepence
30-04-2013, 21:08
About 2/3 years ago the BHF acquired a vacant property in my home town.

It used to be a well established bookstore run by the same family for many years until the economic situation forced them to cease trading.
I have just discovered how much the BHF pay to rent the unit................£46,250 per year.

http://lambandswift.com/view-property.php?propertyid=336

Note the signage, it must have cost a few bob!

It got me thinking about how much of the donations from the public actually goes to the charity's main objective.
This is just 1 shop in 1 town.
In addition I wonder what percentage of total donations are spent on administration.
I believe the CEO's of the major charities are on enormous salaries.

Then I think of the time and effort that the volunteers put in to these charities.
Like the animal charities in Tenerife and the time and effort of the good people who do it for nothing.

I do give to charities but I am selective and I am now unsure if I should bother donating to the large organisations that seam to be a cash cow for some.

What do you think, is my line of reasoning flawed?
I am always happy to help people in need and feel unsure..............it's kind of 'catch 22'.

????

ciderhunter
30-04-2013, 21:30
I read somewhere that David Miliband who went to New York to work for a charity, is going to rake in 300,000 dollars per year. If that is correct, then how charitable of him.

Leam_Lin
01-05-2013, 08:11
I think its always been the same, 40 odd years ago I worked at the DHSS, after a claimant had been claiming sickness benefit for 14 days they had to produce a P60 to get additional benefit. The one I remember most was from an Oxfam employee, well over the top earnings plus free house & car. The top ones get the lot from the 'volunteers' working for nothing.

Medman
01-05-2013, 09:17
Quite shocking disclosures. Makes you think twice about giving to charities. I always give to The Salvation Army, (as my father did) as I feel that a greater percentage of the money does reach the needy. (could be wrong)

Fivepence
01-05-2013, 11:54
Firstly, I'd like to thank the mods for changing my thread title to something more appropriate to the meaning of the thread :thanx:

Quite shocking disclosures. Makes you think twice about giving to charities. I always give to The Salvation Army, (as my father did) as I feel that a greater percentage of the money does reach the needy. (could be wrong)

It appears you are correct Medman, the CEO of The Salvation Army (uk) receives a very low salary.
The figures in the link are for 2011 but it shows the CEO's pay of all the major charities.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

Medman
01-05-2013, 12:34
Firstly, I'd like to thank the mods for changing my thread title to something more appropriate to the meaning of the thread :thanx:

It appears you are correct Medman, the CEO of The Salvation Army (uk) receives a very low salary.
The figures in the link are for 2011 but it shows the CEO's pay of all the major charities.

Wow, by a long chalk as well..........Cancer Research.......£140k !!! :angry:...Makes interesting reading. Charity begins at home right enough. Sad indictment on today's society.

Fivepence
01-05-2013, 12:55
Again I state that I do support some charities but I am selective.

What really affects me are some of the adverts on TV, they tug at the heart strings but border on emotional blackmail.

One can't help feeling sad. :sorry:

Medman
01-05-2013, 13:03
Again I state that I do support some charities but I am selective.

What really affects me are some of the adverts on TV, they tug at the heart strings but border on emotional blackmail.

One can't help feeling sad. :sorry:

Your information has confirmed my family's faith in the Salvation Army. Nice people. But obviously some charlatans out there (IMO)

melm
01-05-2013, 18:49
our local hospice shop has recently upgraded all their cash registers and appointed a shop manager who I imagine will receive a substantial salary. I have always supported this shop....... having second thoughts now about the amount of money it must cost to run it.

going to give to the salvation army charity shop now:sorry:

Medman
01-05-2013, 19:03
our local hospice shop has recently upgraded all their cash registers and appointed a shop manager who I imagine will receive a substantial salary. I have always supported this shop....... having second thoughts now about the amount of money it must cost to run it.

going to give to the salvation army charity shop now:sorry:

The crusade has begun !! ........... "Blood & Fire"

melm
01-05-2013, 19:15
The crusade has begun !! ........... "Blood & Fire"

No blood and fire just like to know my donations will make a good bit of money for the people its intended for. Not to pay for huge "overheads"

Medman
01-05-2013, 19:23
No blood and fire just like to know my donations will make a good bit of money for the people its intended for. Not to pay for huge "overheads"

I have always felt that The Salvation Army have a more regular local presence and I have not heard any allegations of corruption etc. Any no longer required clothes,( shrunk ! ? ) shoes, etc, anything of use to the less fortunate, I give to them because I know they will be put the best CHARITABLE use. P.S. Blood & Fire is the motto of The Salvation Army. "The Blood which was shed by Jesus for our sins and the Fire of the Holy Spirit"

marbro8
01-05-2013, 19:25
i was working at one of our customers house the other week, they came from sierra leone and they said that they have never seen a poor person there, in fact they said the country has more diamonds and gem stones than south africa, yet charities still put adverts on tv fund raising for them???, some charities are in it for themselves paying as you have all said massive wages, i only give to cancer research and never give to overseas charities because charity begins at home and there are people here in the uk that need the help just as much as some family overseas that continue to have children knowing they can not afford them:(the best way we can help them is with knowledge to grow their own food, provide for themselves and birth control

primrose
01-05-2013, 19:34

You haven't included the extras.*27 The costs of Mr Hughes' housing, furniture, car, council tax and insurance are paid for by the charity.

Medman
01-05-2013, 19:36
You haven't included the extras.*27 The costs of Mr Hughes' housing, furniture, car, council tax and insurance are paid for by the charity.

I know, but somehow don't think that's worth £130k per annum

At least it's out in the open. Bet you the other Benefits in Kind are not metioned elsewhere

marbro8
01-05-2013, 19:43
i am still bamboozled that we give about £800,000,000 a year to a country that have told us that they don't want it any more(india), and they are rich enough to have their own space programme???, at least cameron and his cronies have saved us £19,000,000 a year by stopping the aid we gave to a country that we don't really have any more ties with(south africa)

Medman
01-05-2013, 19:50
i am still bamboozled that we give about £800,000,000 a year to a country that have told us that they don't want it any more(india), and they are rich enough to have their own space programme???, at least cameron and his cronies have saved us £19,000,000 a year by stopping the aid we gave to a country that we don't really have any more ties with(south africa)

"Strange Days Indeed" ...........John Lennon

Addick
01-05-2013, 19:57
I have no problem giving money to a charity that pays the people at the top the 'going rate' for what they do.

The overall number of them opening up branches in every high street is a concern given the massive advantage in terms of greatly reduced rates, low wage and tax bills etc that they have over independent businesses, especially as the charity shops seem to be selling more and more 'new' stock, and less 'second-hand', and at higher prices, so are in more direct competition for the customers' money.

One thing I really don't like though, is when the charities I do give to on a monthly direct debit phone and pester me to increase the amount I donate. If I want to increase the amount I give I will, I don't need you [the charity] to pay a third-party company to try and guilt-trip me into it.

As for the Salvation Army - I wouldn't donate to them given some of their beliefs and political lobbying, but that's just my view of their stance on various issues.

marbro8
01-05-2013, 20:08
I have no problem giving money to a charity that pays the people at the top the 'going rate' for what they do.

The overall number of them opening up branches in every high street is a concern given the massive advantage in terms of greatly reduced rates, low wage and tax bills etc that they have over independent businesses, especially as the charity shops seem to be selling more and more 'new' stock, and less 'second-hand', and at higher prices, so are in more direct competition for the customers' money.

One thing I really don't like though, is when the charities I do give to on a monthly direct debit phone and pester me to increase the amount I donate. If I want to increase the amount I give I will, I don't need you [the charity] to pay a third-party company to try and guilt-trip me into it.

As for the Salvation Army - I wouldn't donate to them given some of their beliefs and political lobbying, but that's just my view of their stance on various issues.i had someone phone me the other night at 9.00 pm from the health lottery, i used to subscribe and stopped it, they wanted to know why, and asked me if i would start again??? fist of all why i stopped is my business and secondly when i get home from work i want to relax, not get solicited by charities:( or anyone for that fact:dontknow:

warbey
01-05-2013, 20:23
i had someone phone me the other night at 9.00 pm from the health lottery, i used to subscribe and stopped it, they wanted to know why, and asked me if i would start again??? fist of all why i stopped is my business and secondly when i get home from work i want to relax, not get solicited by charities:( or anyone for that fact:dontknow:

Register not to get this type of Call. If You do, the Call becomes an offence..

This info is on "Martin's Money Page" too

There is an old saying......"Charity begins at Home". I learnt long ago that with some, only about 8 per cent of Donations are passed on.

The rest goes on expenses.

What annoys Meis that SOME of these Leeches are mentioned in the De-graded New Year's Honour's List,

whilst many worthy People who actually HELP are ignored..

But that is just Me.......

Addick
02-05-2013, 08:45
Register not to get this type of Call. If You do, the Call becomes an offence..

This info is on "Martin's Money Page" too

I think this only works if the caller is based in the UK. I had issues with a company calling 5 or 6 times a day and couldn't get them blocked because it was an international call. Now I have got 'caller display' on the landline at home and any that show up as 'International' or 'Withheld' just don't get answered. No more 'PPI claim' or 'Your computer has a virus' unsolicited calls. If one does get through because they haven't withheld their number I just add it to the contacts list as 'Don't pick up' :)

melm
02-05-2013, 18:59
I think this only works if the caller is based in the UK. I had issues with a company calling 5 or 6 times a day and couldn't get them blocked because it was an international call. Now I have got 'caller display' on the landline at home and any that show up as 'International' or 'Withheld' just don't get answered. No more 'PPI claim' or 'Your computer has a virus' unsolicited calls. If one does get through because they haven't withheld their number I just add it to the contacts list as 'Don't pick up' :)

You are right international calls are not blocked. we now do what you do and dont answer calls with unusual numbers or "withheld".

I now give to an organisation called Lendwithcare. first heard about it through Debra Meadon from Dragons Den. this organisation gives to people who want to start their own business and are looking for funds. I have given to about six of them now and have always had my money returned. A girl in Kosova starting a shop etc. check it out.

Addick
02-05-2013, 19:23
I now give to an organisation called Lendwithcare. first heard about it through Debra Meadon from Dragons Den. this organisation gives to people who want to start their own business and are looking for funds. I have given to about six of them now and have always had my money returned. A girl in Kosova starting a shop etc. check it out.

I meant to add a bit about LWC in my first post but forgot as I give to them too - though I first heard about it through The Co-operative (who I work for). Have just had repayments from the entrepreneurs I give to so will be able to add another to the list. It feels much better giving pretty much directly to the family in need and being able to see what they want the cash for. I read that they are expanding to other countries soon which will be good. I also gave a couple of family members gift vouchers for LWC at Christmas and they too have gone on to invest in others as they liked the set-up of the charity..

melm
02-05-2013, 19:29
I meant to add a bit about LWC in my first post but forgot as I give to them too - though I first heard about it through The Co-operative (who I work for). Have just had repayments from the entrepreneurs I give to so will be able to add another to the list. It feels much better giving pretty much directly to the family in need and being able to see what they want the cash for. I read that they are expanding to other countries soon which will be good. I also gave a couple of family members gift vouchers for LWC at Christmas and they too have gone on to invest in others as they liked the set-up of the charity..

I think its a great idea when I get a few bob back i donate to another .

I worked for the Co-op for 20 years....well retired now:wave: