PDA

View Full Version : Business Chat I'm moving to Tenerife and looking for a business opportunity.

GaryA
05-05-2013, 20:15
Moving over in the autumn and looking for a business interest to try and enjoy the dream but also have something to give me a interest/routine. I'm experienced in retail, property letting and development. Have reasonable amount of money to invest. Ideal project would be run down tourist complex or similar to refurb and rejuvenate.

CIM
05-05-2013, 22:14
I have a good one for sale - but its about 12million€!
Also have a nice hotel but I guess it might be a bit much of a project to take on - thats a lot less, closer to 4.5 million.
Much further down the ladder I have a business for around 150,000€ which is successful and makes good profits.

Unfortunately most of the "businesses" I get offered are not making anything once you take a look through the accounts, or they simply cannot show accounts and it is just one unlucky buyer trying to find another to get some of their money back. So I dont list many (if any at all.)

One of my property buyers was over couple of weeks ago and he was on about packing in in the UK (he has a successful business over there) and he started talking about setting up what he does in the UK, over here instead. He thought heīd go nuts if he moved over and just didnt do anything. Did some preliminary work on his idea and it looked like it could be a winner, I think often its best just setting up your own thing from scratch but with hotels, complexes etc thats not really possible....

CIM
05-05-2013, 23:03
I thought all the banana plantation lost money and were being propped up by eu subsidies and eu import protection?

GaryA
06-05-2013, 08:19
Many thanks.Pm sent.

ribuck
06-05-2013, 13:40
I thought all the banana plantation lost money and were being propped up by eu subsidies...
...which is why some of the plantation owners are very rich, even if bananas are sold below the cost of production.

GaryA
06-05-2013, 15:10
So apart from the bananas. Anyone got any bright ideas?

kiwiphil
06-05-2013, 18:00
So apart from the bananas. Anyone got any bright ideas?

I think its important to bear in mind that there are already a number of people here in Tenerife with money to invest in good ideas. And there are plenty of people here without a job ready to invest time. And the other key element is networks, which the people who have been here 20 years are well ahead of any newcomer on.

So in essence, if someone has a great idea they would most likely be looking to find a way to profit from it themselves.

Just spend some time here, you'll come up with your own ideas. And keep your money invested elsewhere until you have a really solid opportunity with a water tight business plan.

Balcony
06-05-2013, 18:19
Agree with Kiwiphil, can't emphasise enough to have a good written up business plan with numbers that are realistic and show you can make a profit, pay the tax and live!

CIM
06-05-2013, 22:55
I think good market research is where to start. There are lots of businesses here hat work but arent being run particularly well. Customer service aint fantastic in general, combine that with the "Maņana maņana" attitude you find in so many industries and its easy to see a lot of gaps in the market in a whole load of industries. But you will find this applies more to businesses servicing Spanish / local clients and obviously they have a bigger market. So there are a lot of different things you can look at. A big mistake I often see business make is that they set up a business here that they would try back home targeted at the Brits who live here. Unfortunately its a very small number compared to a city in the UK! And more often than not you just donīt have a big enough market. For that reason I have always avoided anything reliant on the local Brit population.

Additionally comparing whats happening in various sectors in the UK market with Spain and again you a lot of opportunities if you have the funds to commit to something. One example is MoneySupermarket and the countless similar comparison websites. Big, big money in that sector in the UK but no one did a good job on one of those until years later over here. It was obvious there was a huge gap in the market but it took a long time before companies started plugging it.

Those are the two main things I would consider if I were going to start something or buy something here with a view to improving / expanding it.

offshore diver
11-05-2013, 14:19
I think good market research is where to start. There are lots of businesses here hat work but arent being run particularly well. Customer service aint fantastic in general, combine that with the "Maņana maņana" attitude you find in so many industries and its easy to see a lot of gaps in the market in a whole load of industries. But you will find this applies more to businesses servicing Spanish / local clients and obviously they have a bigger market. So there are a lot of different things you can look at. A big mistake I often see business make is that they set up a business here that they would try back home targeted at the Brits who live here. Unfortunately its a very small number compared to a city in the UK! And more often than not you just donīt have a big enough market. For that reason I have always avoided anything reliant on the local Brit population.

Additionally comparing whats happening in various sectors in the UK market with Spain and again you a lot of opportunities if you have the funds to commit to something. One example is MoneySupermarket and the countless similar comparison websites. Big, big money in that sector in the UK but no one did a good job on one of those until years later over here. It was obvious there was a huge gap in the market but it took a long time before companies started plugging it.

Those are the two main things I would consider if I were going to start something or buy something here with a view to improving / expanding it.

everywhere you look at the spanish market you can see gaps you just have to fly from tenerife north airport and every cafeteria sell the same crap cheese rolls at euros 5-00 a piece you would think by now somebody would set up a small cafeteria selling say hot soups with bread roll for euros 3-00 or selling something different and targeting families ,its a complete joke at the north airport ,has to be one of the worst airport i flown through

who-r-ya
11-05-2013, 16:41
Really short on retail, property letting and development people, but I guess you have done your homework try it tho ...good luck

Clinton
15-05-2013, 11:03
Moving over in the autumn and looking for a business interest to try and enjoy the dream but also have something to give me a interest/routine. I'm experienced in retail, property letting and development. Have reasonable amount of money to invest. Ideal project would be run down tourist complex or similar to refurb and rejuvenate.

Hi Gary,

I have a growing English Language School near the capital, Santa Cruz. Looking ideally for partner/co worker. you can check it out on my website kingsroad-english.es and contact me on ctaylor@kingsroad-english.es or the business phone line for a chat.

Regards.

Clinton