PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Excited & scared at the same time. We're moving to South Tenerife on the 30th May 13!

tenerifemummy
06-05-2013, 23:33
Hi Everyone!!!!

I'm new to the thread, I've been hoovering for months seeking out advice and have found this site soooo helpful!!!

We are a family of 4, me, hubby and our 2 children aged 1 and 11 and are moving to Tenerife on 30th May this year, we have rented a property for 6 months to see how we get on, my husband and I are both self employed (well was in UK and want to be in Tenerife) and have an internet based business, my head is hurting with all the things I need to sort out when we get there: Any advice would be much appreciated.

Internet/Phone - Needed ASAP as we need to work to earn money

Schools for children - looking at spanish state schools (daughter is 11 and am so worried about her feeling alone and confused being in a school with people she wont be able to communicate with)

Having no car until we see if we want to stay! Any advice on 6 month car hire? Also if you have a UK driving licence can you still hire a car for 6 mths?

Spanish Tutor for us all (preferably 1-2-1 lessons for us all)

utilities - who do you go with?

Spanish bank account? do we open a resident or non resident bank account and is our HMR UK paperwork enough documentation to prove we are self employed over in UK?

Spanish mobiles - where would we purchase these?

Medical - have our European Health cards, would we have to pay to see a GP if one of the children got ill or are we covered?

So many questions I'm sorry, but I keep searching the internet and all the information is kinda making my brain fuzzy ;0)

Tenerifemummy
xxxx

slodgedad
06-05-2013, 23:36
Hi Everyone!!!!

I'm new to the thread, I've been hoovering for months seeking out advice and have found this site soooo helpful!!!

We are a family of 4, me, hubby and our 2 children aged 1 and 11 and are moving to Tenerife on 30th May this year, we have rented a property for 6 months to see how we get on, my husband and I are both self employed (well was in UK and want to be in Tenerife) and have an internet based business, my head is hurting with all the things I need to sort out when we get there: Any advice would be much appreciated.

Schools for children - looking at spanish state schools (daughter is 11 and am so worried about her feeling alone and confused being in a school with people she wont be able to communicate with)

Having no car until we see if we want to stay! Any advice on 6 month car hire? Also if you have a UK driving licence can you still hire a car for 6 mths?

Spanish bank account? do we open a resident or non resident bank account and is our HMR UK paperwork enough documentation to prove we are self employed over in UK?

Medical - have our European Health cards, would we have to pay to see a GP if one of the children got ill or are we covered?

So many questions I'm sorry, but I keep searching the internet and all the information is kinda making my brain fuzzy ;0)

Tenerifemummy
xxxx
Most ask one or two in one thread. I can answer the first one. You won'tneed your Hoover as much.

BTW...:welcome: to the Forum.. :)

tenerifemummy
06-05-2013, 23:42
lol Well that's something!!!

I know I'm running away with myself with all these questions! Sorry ;0)

Thank you for the welcome!!!

penelope pitstop
07-05-2013, 05:58
A very big step moving with children, especially with an 11 yr old you have to remove from her family, friends & school. Could you not have waited until she finished school,so as not to distress & disrupt her, by then the baby would just be starting? It would give you time to learn the language before moving & you could holiday every year in Tenerife (as many times as you can per year) to give you time to get all the answers to your questions.

We moved over in 2001 for 8 yrs, without any children. It was a terrible struggle, so much so it made me ill with a stress related illness. There is so much beauracracy, some racism & the major problem for us was the language barrier. We tried to learn the language before we moved over & again when we got there, but gave up in the end. My husband spoke it (or understood it) as he worked with the Canarians/Spanish for years whilst there. But I will say in it's favour is the lovely weather (which you do get fed up with after years of it) & the wonderful friends we made whilst there.

We go back a couple of times a year , but I could never live there permanently again.

This is just my view, but a lot of people we know came back to the UK after years of living in Tenerife, like us, as they could not make a decent living, missed family & for health reasons.

So PLEASE think very hard, especially where the 11yr old is concerned. Surely waiting a few years makes more sense to give the her time to take exams in the UK before leaving school. The disruption of being taken from family & friends at such an impressionable age could have long lasting effects. It can't be easy starting a new school, but also a great culture shock to be having to do it in a country where you cannot speak the language!

I wish you all the luck in the world, you will need it, as well as plenty of money behind you until you start earning.

MrsTT
07-05-2013, 08:46
Welcome tenerifemummy!

If you follow the link to this thread you will get information about the state schooling on the island. http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?417-Information-on-getting-your-children-into-Spanish-state-schooling-in-Tenerife

In the rest of the sub forum you can find many facts and opinions about getting your children into school in Tenerife. Some children take to the Spanish system like ducks to water, others hate it! No-one can give you specific advice until you know exactly where you are thinking of locating.

Apart from my full time children, I tutor several children who are very happy in Spanish school, but who come to work at weekly lessons with me to keep their English up to scratch.
I also tutor children from British schools who need extra support in English as a second language.

Good luck and I hope your venture goes well.

Belinda
07-05-2013, 09:24
Hi there and welcome!
It certainly is a big step, especially with children involved.
Re the finances, what I would suggest is to contact a professional (you'll find the right person via the forum) and go through the figures of what running your business is going to cost as, once you are resident in the Canary Islands and working as self-employed, you will be required to register your business, pay social security and taxes here. I think it's important that you have a pretty accurate idea of what that will cost before you make any commitments - don't assume that taxes are low or that the authorities will necessarily pave your way.
But that's not to put you off!
Re language, one thing I wished I had done is to go to an intensive language school before coming out, or at least evening classes. You can study on your own of course, have a private tutor as you say and pick it up as you go but it all takes time. Language is key as far as I'm concerned and I would put that as high priority. Get those Spanish DVD's going ASAP, especially for your 11 year old.
Good luck and keep us posted.

warbey
07-05-2013, 20:19
Re Mobiles. You can take a second one, buy a SIM Card, so thats easy.

I wonder about the 11 Yr Old.
Please consider a shorter period than 6 months, as returning (if You did) would mean less time
missed within a very important 4 Years of a Syllabus..

Good Luck

Tom & Sharon
07-05-2013, 21:26
Hi Everyone!!!!

Tenerifemummy
xxxx

Hi Tenerifemummy and welcome to the forum.

My reply to your question may not be the "playing by the official rules" one, but the realistic one.

1 - First off, if you have a UK based based business and income, the you should be fine (As long as you know you can live on it) If you were gong to reply on a Tenerife income, with 2 children, I'd say don't bother.

2 - Trust no-one. There are only too many people in Tenerife who will gladly relieve you of all the savings you bring over with you. A lot of this will be wrapped up in "advice" about how you will need x,y and z that they will be gladly "arrange" for you at an exorbitant fee. They will tell you that you need to be autonomo, have a residencia, private health insurance, private dental insurance, Spanish wills, empadronamiento, Spanish driving licences. The list is endless. Some of these people will have offices, use names that seem familiar and are very believable. They will be your best friends if they sniff that you have brought money over with you and that you are naive and don't know the system. Before you know it, you will be paying out thousands of euros to these "helpful" people. All you will need to start are an NIE and an empadronamiento. The actual cost of these is 10€ and 5€ respectively, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

3 - You will pay a fortune to hire a car for 6 months. Do you not still have your car in the UK? Until you are certain you want to stay, why not bring your UK car over? You can do this legally for 6 months. It would be a bit stressful with the children, but you could fly and your husband could drive the car over. It would save a fortune in car hire and also you could load it up with stuff you want to bring. You must have plenty with 2 young children.

4 - Don't cut your ties with the UK. Don't tell anyone you are leaving. Stay registered at the doctors, dentists and on the voters roll. Don't close your bank accounts, or tell your credit card companies. Don't tell HMRC you are going to run your business from outside the UK. Keep paying your tax and NI as if you are in the UK. Use your mothers/brothers/cousins/friends address if you have to. If you decide not to stay, it will be an absolute nightmare to go back and try to re-establish yourselves. Obviously you will need to tell the school, but that's it.

5 - If you have valid EH1C cards, they will cover you for emergency care if any of you becomes sick and needs a hospital. If you need a doctor for something routine, you can pay for a private consultation which are very reasonable, as are most medications.

6 - Open a non resident bank account to start. You will have to complete a non resident fiscal declaration in the bank, and they will want to see your payslips from the UK.

7 - Put your 11 year old in an English school, so that if you decide not to stay she will make the transfer back easily. The cost will of course have to be factored into your sums.

8 - Spanish mobiles you can get from anywhere, there are shops everywhere, with both contract and PAYG. Probably safer to get PAYG for now.

9 - Any good rental agent should help you sort utilities and phone/internet.

10 - Spanish tutors are widely available, from language schools to lessons in the local bar.

You haven't said where you are going to live? If you let us know that, then people can be a bit more area specific with advice. All of the above points can be reviewed after your initial 6 months, but please heed it for now. Not everybody settles, and if you decide Tenerife isn't for you, well you will have had an enjoyable time, but will be able to pick up where you left off. If you love it, and settle in easily, then in 6 months time you will know a bit more about how the system works and be able to make more experienced decisions.

Good luck!

slodgedad
07-05-2013, 21:47

My reply to your question may not be the "playing by the official rules" one, but the realistic one.

1 - First off, if you have a UK based based business and income, the you should be fine (As long as you know you can live on it) If you were gong to reply on a Tenerife income, with 2 children, I'd say don't bother.

2 - Trust no-one. There are only too many people in Tenerife who will gladly relieve you of all the savings you bring over with you. A lot of this will be wrapped up in "advice" about how you will need x,y and z that they will be gladly "arrange" for you at an exorbitant fee. They will tell you that you need to be autonomo, have a residencia, private health insurance, private dental insurance, Spanish wills, empadronamiento, Spanish driving licences. The list is endless. Some of these people will have offices, use names that seem familiar and are very believable. They will be your best friends if they sniff that you have brought money over with you and that you are naive and don't know the system. Before you know it, you will be paying out thousands of euros to these "helpful" people. All you will need to start are an NIE and an empadronamiento. The actual cost of these is 10€ and 5€ respectively, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

3 - You will pay a fortune to hire a car for 6 months. Do you not still have your car in the UK? Until you are certain you want to stay, why not bring your UK car over? You can do this legally for 6 months. It would be a bit stressful with the children, but you could fly and your husband could drive the car over. It would save a fortune in car hire and also you could load it up with stuff you want to bring. You must have plenty with 2 young children.

4 - Don't cut your ties with the UK. Don't tell anyone you are leaving. Stay registered at the doctors, dentists and on the voters roll. Don't close your bank accounts, or tell your credit card companies. Don't tell HMRC you are going to run your business from outside the UK. Keep paying your tax and NI as if you are in the UK. Use your mothers/brothers/cousins/friends address if you have to. If you decide not to stay, it will be an absolute nightmare to go back and try to re-establish yourselves. Obviously you will need to tell the school, but that's it.

5 - If you have valid EH1C cards, they will cover you for emergency care if any of you becomes sick and needs a hospital. If you need a doctor for something routine, you can pay for a private consultation which are very reasonable, as are most medications.

6 - Open a non resident bank account to start. You will have to complete a non resident fiscal declaration in the bank, and they will want to see your payslips from the UK.

7 - Put your 11 year old in an English school, so that if you decide not to stay she will make the transfer back easily. The cost will of course have to be factored into your sums.

8 - Spanish mobiles you can get from anywhere, there are shops everywhere, with both contract and PAYG. Probably safer to get PAYG for now.

10 - Spanish tutors are widely available, from language schools to lessons in the local bar.

You haven't said where you are going to live? If you let us know that, then people can be a bit more area specific with advice. All of the above points can be reviewed after your initial 6 months, but please heed it for now. Not everybody settles, and if you decide Tenerife isn't for you, well you will have had an enjoyable time, but will be able to pick up where you left off. If you love it, and settle in easily, then in 6 months time you will know a bit more about how the system works and be able to make more experienced decisions.

Good luck!
If there were 'Post of the Year' awards, this would have my nomination.

celine
07-05-2013, 22:13
fantastic advice thankyou

fonica
07-05-2013, 23:03
Do you have private health insurance because you will not be covered on the Spanish social security system until you have got a residencia and started to pay social security.You may just get by as holiday makers on your EEC medical cards but make sure that are in date and registered here and remember they only cover you for emergency treatment. There is bad feeling amongst the locals who are having to wait in endless queues for treatment, that foreigners are blocking up the system without contributing anything to it. (not quite true as UK pays for emergency treatment of holiday makers) but local people don't know this. To get residencia here is much harder now than is has been for some 15 years and you have to have 5,000 Euros minimum per adult in a Spanish bank account,or have a confirmed contract of work which shows that your company is paying your social security.Make sure that where you chose to live has access to ADSL because in many areas now there is a long wait for telephone numbers and even if you get a phone line the ADSL is limited to 1 mg.Your 11 year old will find it difficult and will only have 6 weeks in school before the 3 month summer holiday.Where she would normally be going into senior school in the UK,she will be kept back a year here because of the language.Some schools are helpful with new non Spanish speaking children but most are fed up with spending time settling in new kids only for them to leave after a few months.All this sounds hard,well it will be hard and I hear people everyday compaining about "how difficult everything is here".Well, if it was easy half the world would be here!!! Make sure that you have plenty of money behind you and be prepared to lose /spend it.However if you are a fighter and all of you settle,it could be the best thing that you ever did.Good luck.

ribuck
08-05-2013, 11:35
Put your 11 year old in an English school

A regular spanish school will have a huge advantage, because your 11-year-old will make friends with other children, which will in turn help you to integrate with the locals. Even if you do go back to England after six months, it will have been a fantastic experience for her.

Do reassure her that, although it will seem extremely strange for the first couple of weeks, it won't be long until her new school will seem normal to her, and she will make local friends.

Enjoy your adventure!

Tom & Sharon
08-05-2013, 11:56
A regular spanish school will have a huge advantage, because your 11-year-old will make friends with other children, which will in turn help you to integrate with the locals. Even if you do go back to England after six months, it will have been a fantastic experience for her.

Do reassure her that, although it will seem extremely strange for the first couple of weeks, it won't be long until her new school will seem normal to her, and she will make local friends.

Enjoy your adventure!

Depends on the child. It could frighten her to death, and make her dreadfully unhappy, isolated and miss her friends and school in England so much that it has the reverse effect and she never settles.

MrsTT
08-05-2013, 21:58
If you are moving on 30th May there will only be about 3 weeks for your 11 year old to be at regular school anywhere, as the term finishes here by the end of June and I believe the Spanish schools finish a week ahead of our school, which closes on 27th June for the summer holidays.

bonitatime
08-05-2013, 23:24

Enjoy your adventure!

Dont do this with a child this age. It is inmensely unfair.
Point 5 of Sharons reccomendation is completely illegal and is why Tenerife health system in the south is completely overwhelmed.

kiwiphil
08-05-2013, 23:31
Depends on the child. It could frighten her to death, and make her dreadfully unhappy, isolated and miss her friends and school in England so much that it has the reverse effect and she never settles.

I think the key point is that it really does depend on your 11 year old. It would have scared me totally but others I know would have fitted right in. What does your daughter think of it all?

Tom & Sharon
09-05-2013, 01:09
Dont do this with a child this age. It is inmensely unfair.
Point 5 of Sharons reccomendation is completely illegal and is why Tenerife health system in the south is completely overwhelmed.

I did say that mine was a realistic answer, and not strictly by the book. Actually, it is not completely illegal, because if you are working abroad in Europe, in a UK based business, and paying UK tax and NI, you are supposed to have an EH1C. If the OP is just testing the water for 6 months, but still running their business from the UK and paying into the system, they are entitled to emergency care. I'm not sure why you say this is why the health system is completely overwhelmed. If you need emergency care at a hospital, you need it regardless of who is picking up the tab. It's hardly like people from the UK are flocking to Tenerife south solely to access hospital care!

tenerifemummy
09-05-2013, 01:33

Good luck!

Thank you so much Tom and sharon for you in depth and good advice, yes it is a UK based business and we plan on leaving everything that way until we are 100 percent sure we want to stay.

can I ask u what line of business you do in Tenerife? I have aquaintances I knew in England called Tom and Sharon lol

xxxx

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

My daughter is a very confident, above average student and cannot wait to go!!! She has had nothing but problems with her so called friends in the UK and is rather excited!!! (i know I'm biased but my daughter is very pretty, she seems to get a lot of girls picking on her, funny as the boys don't seem to argue with her lol) My daughter runs forums, has a youtube channel and has created her own website so as far as education and getting behind I don't think I have a problem.

I do worry that she may find the language difficult but I have told her that having a second language could bring her good opportunities later in life.

I am a firm believer in as long as the parents are confident and always there for their children then it doesn't matter where you take them as long as you are with them they will be fine.

We are all quite excited now!!!

;0)

x

Andy0210
09-05-2013, 02:31
A very big step moving with children, especially with an 11 yr old you have to remove from her family, friends & school. Could you not have waited until she finished school,so as not to distress & disrupt her, by then the baby would just be starting? It would give you time to learn the language before moving & you could holiday every year in Tenerife (as many times as you can per year) to give you time to get all the answers to your questions.

We moved over in 2001 for 8 yrs, without any children. It was a terrible struggle, so much so it made me ill with a stress related illness. There is so much beauracracy, some racism & the major problem for us was the language barrier. We tried to learn the language before we moved over & again when we got there, but gave up in the end. My husband spoke it (or understood it) as he worked with the Canarians/Spanish for years whilst there. But I will say in it's favour is the lovely weather (which you do get fed up with after years of it) & the wonderful friends we made whilst there.

We go back a couple of times a year , but I could never live there permanently again.

This is just my view, but a lot of people we know came back to the UK after years of living in Tenerife, like us, as they could not make a decent living, missed family & for health reasons.

So PLEASE think very hard, especially where the 11yr old is concerned. Surely waiting a few years makes more sense to give the her time to take exams in the UK before leaving school. The disruption of being taken from family & friends at such an impressionable age could have long lasting effects. It can't be easy starting a new school, but also a great culture shock to be having to do it in a country where you cannot speak the language!

I wish you all the luck in the world, you will need it, as well as plenty of money behind you until you start earning.

Why do people that came, saw and failed post such horror stories ???

Goldenmaniac
09-05-2013, 09:20
Hi and yes welcome to the forum TM I have kept quiet up to now - I should hate for Tom to lump me in with the sharks that want your money :( - oh but I forgot I am always posting info on here for free so that can't be right can it?

I will say it's becoming harder and harder to "fly under the radar" public money is tight here as elsewhere in Europe and the various authorities are getting touchy about who gets what (including their own nationals) and there are one or 2 things which you most definitely won't get away with any more.

School: Even if you are in a position to opt for a private English school they still require sight of current health cover for the child - the EHIC will not do - so you may also have to factor private health care into the equation if you do not become eligible by paying Spanish social security contributions.
Have a look here about what the EHIC does and doesn't cover . http://www.healthcareinspain.eu/index.php (it was designed by Valencia in conjunction with the UK Department of health but it applies here too.)
These days the state schools will want a child newly registering to have a residence certificate (I KNOW that didn't happen before but it does now and applies to new applicants) - There are long threads about residence certificates elsewhere and you can also read about it on my website here (http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Expirydateresidencia) but basically to get the residence certificate you will need to show you can support yourselves and your family and also have health cover (starting to notice a recurring theme? :) )
What is suggested in Tom's point 4 is actually tax fraud... but hey..
Yes you can have a non residents account but they will want a p60 or similar and proof of a UK address (utility bill etc) - You haven't said whether you will still have a UK address?

Do you have a "reserve fund" so that if things don't go to plan work wise you will be OK until you get sorted... you don't say what kind of internet business you have but if you were depending on shipping something to or from here there are differences in customs requirements to what you are used to in the UK.

I hate to pee on people's parades but unfortunately over the years I have seen many hopefuls forced back to the UK because they did not get their planning right - come please do give it a go, but why not come for 3 months? That way you avoid health and taxation issues and would it be possible for your 11 year old to stay with Grandma or someone in the UK and keep her UK school there until you guys are set up and can bring her from the old school to the new one once you have crossed all your other hurdles?

Re language there are lots of Tutors around, some better than others, but why not consider an intensive course at the Los Cristianos Language school for example - again this obviously has a cost but it would be money well spent IMHO.

The best advice I can give you is "It's not like England" - I wish I had a euro for every time someone said that to me, but it sums it up.. don't assume you know how something is going to work here - check it out first!

Tom & Sharon
09-05-2013, 09:55
Thank you so much Tom and sharon for you in depth and good advice, yes it is a UK based business and we plan on leaving everything that way until we are 100 percent sure we want to stay.

can I ask u what line of business you do in Tenerife? I have aquaintances I knew in England called Tom and Sharon lol

xxxx

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

My daughter is a very confident, above average student and cannot wait to go!!! She has had nothing but problems with her so called friends in the UK and is rather excited!!! (i know I'm biased but my daughter is very pretty, she seems to get a lot of girls picking on her, funny as the boys don't seem to argue with her lol) My daughter runs forums, has a youtube channel and has created her own website so as far as education and getting behind I don't think I have a problem.

I do worry that she may find the language difficult but I have told her that having a second language could bring her good opportunities later in life.

I am a firm believer in as long as the parents are confident and always there for their children then it doesn't matter where you take them as long as you are with them they will be fine.

We are all quite excited now!!!

;0)

x

Hi Tenerifemummy.

You are welcome for the advice. You sound like you are being sensible, unlike many who come on here and think they're going to leave the UK, find "a bit of work" and live the dream. The main difference is that you have a UK based income which many people don't have, and for most people there is little opportunity to earn decent money in Tenerife. We don't work in Tenerife. Tom got his pension at 50 and still does some work in the UK. We have a home in both Tenerife and UK. We have always said that there is little point in being in Tenerife if you don't have the money to enjoy it, and many don't. That's not living the dream.

If you have a good income, then Tenerife is a wonderful place to live and raise your children. It sounds like you have made the decision to put your daughter in Spanish school. I know of children who've made the switch at 8 or 9 and settled and are now totally bi-lingual which is a fantastic life skill for anyone. I also know of someone who is now an adult, who made the switch at 11. She said she was dreadfully upset for the first 2 weeks, but after that never looked back, and again is bi-lingual. Every child is different, and it's difficult enough to know if you've made the right choices about anything as a parent, so this is no different. As you are in the South, the English choice would be Wingate. Have you made enquiries as to whether they would have a place for her if she doesn't settle? You will need a backup plan. I would expect her to be unhappy at first, but there will be a limit to how long you could watch that go on for. Do you know which school she would be attending? If you let us know, then the chances are that there will be other Spanish born, but English children in the school who are bi-lingual. If she could make friends with some of these over the summer holidays, then she may not feel so isolated once term begins if she has friends who can translate for her. The only thing I wonder is, how entitled to a Spanish school place will you be? I have no idea of the system, but someone on here will.

Regards your medical cover, I would still use your EH1C. You will have to anyway if you are not in the Spanish system. We have ours, and I relied on it last year when I fell and broke my leg. Regardless of what you read on here, the doctors told me in Candelaria Hospital, that any UK citizen is entitled to care. I thought I was just entitled to the initial emergency treatment, but he assured me I was entitled to the full care until I was healed, and I also know of someone else who broke their arm and was cared for till it was healed under their EH1C. For more routine things, we have used Excellent Medical on Golf Del Sur. It's a "Pay as you go" arrangement, but it's only 25€ to see a doctor for a consultation, and if you need a prescription it's only 9€. Personally I think it's a better arrangement. At least you can get an appointment straight away.

Points 2 & 4 in my first blurb are essential. I won't name any businesses on here who will rip you off for "advice" and arranging things for you, but if you want me to PM you, just let me know. I do know of someone who was charged 500€ for someone to do their residencia because they were naive, didn't know the system and can't speak Spanish. Nice work if you can get it!
Also, make sure you don't slip up in the UK. I once rang HMRC from Tenerife, and the number was displayed at their end. They asked me when I would be returning from Spain! You can withold your number by dialling 067 first.

We have some neighbours who have a successful UK internet business, but live in Tenerife full time. We are in the UK at the moment, but when we go back next month, I can ask them how they do it if you like.

You've still not told us which area you will be living in?

Goldenmaniac
09-05-2013, 10:12
Points 2 & 4 in my first blurb are essential. I won't name any businesses on here who will rip you off for "advice" and arranging things for you, but if you want me to PM you, just let me know. I do know of someone who was charged 500€ for someone to do their residencia because they were naive, didn't know the system and can't speak Spanish. Nice work if you can get it
That was probably me then Tom.. NOT.. oh no take a zero off- I wonder if you would have a pre interview to get info, fill out forms, go to a bank and pay the tasas for the person and then queue and wait with them for a couple of hours, interpret if there are any queries, oh and pay 24,75% in income tax and 7% IGIC on the 50... yeh very nice work if you can get it! I don't know anyone who charges 500 I'd like the pm as well

Tom & Sharon
09-05-2013, 10:13
Hi and yes welcome to the forum TM I have kept quiet up to now - I should hate for Tom to lump me in with the sharks that want your money :( - oh but I forgot I am always posting info on here for free so that can't be right can it?

I will say it's becoming harder and harder to "fly under the radar" public money is tight here as elsewhere in Europe and the various authorities are getting touchy about who gets what (including their own nationals) and there are one or 2 things which you most definitely won't get away with any more.

School: Even if you are in a position to opt for a private English school they still require sight of current health cover for the child - the EHIC will not do - so you may also have to factor private health care into the equation if you do not become eligible by paying Spanish social security contributions.
Have a look here about what the EHIC does and doesn't cover . http://www.healthcareinspain.eu/index.php (it was designed by Valencia in conjunction with the UK Department of health but it applies here too.)
These days the state schools will want a child newly registering to have a residence certificate (I KNOW that didn't happen before but it does now and applies to new applicants) - There are long threads about residence certificates elsewhere and you can also read about it on my website here (http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Expirydateresidencia) but basically to get the residence certificate you will need to show you can support yourselves and your family and also have health cover (starting to notice a recurring theme? :) )
What is suggested in Tom's point 4 is actually tax fraud... but hey..
Yes you can have a non residents account but they will want a p60 or similar and proof of a UK address (utility bill etc) - You haven't said whether you will still have a UK address?

Do you have a "reserve fund" so that if things don't go to plan work wise you will be OK until you get sorted... you don't say what kind of internet business you have but if you were depending on shipping something to or from here there are differences in customs requirements to what you are used to in the UK.

I hate to pee on people's parades but unfortunately over the years I have seen many hopefuls forced back to the UK because they did not get their planning right - come please do give it a go, but why not come for 3 months? That way you avoid health and taxation issues and would it be possible for your 11 year old to stay with Grandma or someone in the UK and keep her UK school there until you guys are set up and can bring her from the old school to the new one once you have crossed all your other hurdles?

Re language there are lots of Tutors around, some better than others, but why not consider an intensive course at the Los Cristianos Language school for example - again this obviously has a cost but it would be money well spent IMHO.

The best advice I can give you is "It's not like England" - I wish I had a euro for every time someone said that to me, but it sums it up.. don't assume you know how something is going to work here - check it out first!

We were obviously posting at the same time! It's Sharon posting, not Tom. When I was referring to people charging exorbitant fees, I didn't mean you Goldenmaniac - sorry! But you know that it happens, and you know who they are. I won't post any names on here, and it may not be professional for you to do it by pm, but I can.

I know that my advice isn't playing by the rules, I said that at the beginning, but it is realistic, and that's the point. If someone is coming over to give it a try, it is sensible not to burn your bridges. They could come with the idea of stopping for 6 months, and end up going back after 3. Then where would they be if they had cut all ties? No-one knows if they will like it. Until you've been outside of the UK for over 3 months, you've not technically stepped outside of any rules anyway, so no need to rush.

The rest of course, is good advice as always - and for free (unlike some) :whistle:

doreen
09-05-2013, 10:21
We were obviously posting at the same time! It's Sharon posting, not Tom. When I was referring to people charging exorbitant fees, I didn't mean you Goldenmaniac - sorry! But you know that it happens, and you know who they are. I won't post any names on here, and it may not be professional for you to do it by pm, but I can.

I know that my advice isn't playing by the rules, I said that at the beginning, but it is realistic, and that's the point. If someone is coming over to give it a try, it is sensible not to burn your bridges. They could come with the idea of stopping for 6 months, and end up going back after 3. Then where would they be if they had cut all ties? No-one knows if they will like it. Until you've been outside of the UK for over 3 months, you've not technically stepped outside of any rules anyway, so no need to rush.

The rest of course, is good advice as always - and for free (unlike some) :whistle:

Sharon, if you are sure of your facts at least name what area these people are based like say, Las Chafiras or Las Galletas ,to make people stop & think when engaging someone - goldenmaniac certainly helped me for a fraction of that cost.

Tom & Sharon
09-05-2013, 10:27
Sharon, if you are sure of your facts at least name what area these people are based like say, Las Chafiras or Las Galletas ,to make people stop & think when engaging someone - goldenmaniac certainly helped me for a fraction of that cost.

Haha Doreen, you've hit the nail right on the head there! I didn't mean Goldenmaniac.

And that's going to get TIS on, and I didn't mean him either!

Goldenmaniac
09-05-2013, 10:33
Thankyou guys .. I get touchy sometimes because to a newbie it can read like "we" (gofers) are all lumped together.. I applaud people having a go for themselves it means they're integrating, but sometimes these things can be very daunting when you first get here

TF1
09-05-2013, 10:40
My advice, for what it's worth;-

1. You have an internet business. Without an NIE / Spanish bank account you will struggle trying to get a Telefonica ADSL service. If your type of business requires constant internet access, you will need two lines or one line plus a 3G back-up. Don't bother with other providers as they just use the Telefonica infrastructure, and you might hit long delays getting technical issues resolved.

2. Your daughter should learn as much Spanish as possible before you make the trip. You will need private or state health cover to get her into any school.

3. Think for at least 2 days before taking up on any important offer made to you. Look at options, ask on this forum and take your time.

4. Structure and limit your free time as you would in the UK. Just because everyone else seems to get p***ed every night and lay on the beach all day, it doesn't mean you can.

Good luck! :welcome:

celine
09-05-2013, 10:45
*****Just a thankyou for your great posts.
.We are hopefully doing the same this year and relocating to tenerife.
Im personaly feeling a bit of fear and stomach churning with the time we decide to make the move getting nearer
Its nice to see some positive posts to reaffirm that we are making the right decision

kiwiphil
09-05-2013, 11:02
1. You have an internet business. Without an NIE / Spanish bank account you will struggle trying to get a Telefonica ADSL service. If your type of business requires constant internet access, you will need two lines or one line plus a 3G back-up. Don't bother with other providers as they just use the Telefonica infrastructure, and you might hit long delays getting technical issues resolved.

I arrived last year and have encountered some of the issues that people here are warning you of, but if you are organised then alot of them are quite manageable. You need to absorb all the advice and filter the bits that are most applicable to your situation. Of the many challenges, I think the IT side is quite a manageable one, along with bank accounts and NIE. Even the autonomo process was not too painful thanks to Diana - Goldenmanic.

I have found Direct Telecom to be quite good. Customer service is in English and support has been reasonable. I know they use the Telefonica network, but that is the same as saying don't use anyone other than BT or Virgin in the UK.

I have a biased view on this one for sure, as I am involved in a UK Telecom company that isn't BT or Virgin:) But I have no affiliation to Direct Telecom so my opinion there counts for something. They certainly made the process of getting setup quite easy. But you do need the bank account before they can place the order.

Getting a bank account was quite easy though - we went to Solbank and all sorted in a day.

And while you are waiting for the line to be installed and ADSL to be activated, 3G is actually quite good here. I survived for a month on 3G, even comfortably logging into UK Citrix and RDP sessions and it was better than I ever managed in the UK on 3G. This does depend on location though.

TF1
09-05-2013, 11:45
Hi Kiwiphil, yes I agree that it is easy to set up with Direct Telecom or a similar operation, the problem only comes if there is an issue further down the line. (Speaking through experience). I HATE Telefonica, their unlawful up-selling practices and their crappy South American call centers , but am obliged to use them if I want to stay online 24/7.

Yes, 3G has come along in leaps and bounds the last two years. I use a Yoigo modem with a cheapo 3G router which I bought on-line for 25€, and can get fast wi-fi + LAN for less than 10€ a month.

tenerifemummy
09-05-2013, 17:14
Hi guys,

I' m moving to Las Chafiras! Sorry I haven't said before lol Thank you for all your advice it really has been so helpful!! we are an already established business that are able to work online from home hence the move ;0)

tenerifemummy
29-05-2013, 01:34
1 more day!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo

:raspberry2::spin::jumping::hi:

UKmember
29-05-2013, 08:14
Keep everyone updated how you get on.

melm
29-05-2013, 18:53
[QUOTE=tenerifemummy;290477]1 more day!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo

:respect:

hope all goes well for you and your family......good luck

Missingthereef
29-05-2013, 19:16
Good luck!

Addick
29-05-2013, 19:48
1 more day!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo

:raspberry2::spin::jumping::hi:

Given the weather here today I know where I'd rather be tomorrow. How many of us could fit in a suitcase?

Hope everything runs smoothly for you.