PDA

View Full Version : Other Take care of your purses in San Eugenio

macdonald5
08-05-2013, 19:04
Again the 'be aware' warning is needed
This afternoon at the Mango Outlet in San Eugenio shopping centre a lady with her blind son had her purse stolen. the female thief has been captured on Security camera but if that will help is questionable
They now need to go to police station tomorrow for report reference (sure they could do without the hassle)
Take care seems to again be the warning

timmylish
09-05-2013, 01:14
I,m going against the grain here by questioning the whole point in making this report. I think that ONE stolen purse being reported from all of the shops and outlets trading in the South of Tenerife is something to be proud of as opposed to the implied meaning of the posting. Sorry.

macdonald5
09-05-2013, 09:03
I,m going against the grain here by questioning the whole point in making this report. I think that ONE stolen purse being reported from all of the shops and outlets trading in the South of Tenerife is something to be proud of as opposed to the implied meaning of the posting. Sorry.

Seemingly this is NOT a one off purse in that same shop, has been fairly regular occurrence according to onlookers. Mercadona in same centre also target area as is the bus stop near Verdes
If a Be aware posting saves even one person the miserly and upset of a thief taking their belongings IMO it is worth reporting

junglejim
09-05-2013, 11:59
Timmy , I stay within 100 yards of that area , as reported the CC San Eugenio, the walk up from Puerto Colon , along to Bouganville , along to the bridge over motorway is notorious for muggings, pickpockets due to repeat offenders .
The shopping centre is particularly bad when busy , yet you never see any police in the centre - they are too busy outside with Grua booking cars or checking paperwork .
We hear regular stories of people being dipped or worse , especially in winter when swallows are here- constantly warning people about their holiday habits of leaving bags , phones unattended .
There are prime targets in that area due to alcohol intake , but during the day the shopping centre is a major target and the authorities want nothing to do with it .

who-r-ya
09-05-2013, 14:25

Are you for real Timmylish, ONE purse! its a daily occurance in the area day and night young or old its getting serious when I was there 2 weeks ago I witnessed a serious theft, people report to their hotels, its hard when you are on holiday to spend time at the police station, me personally would go and join the que and get police number and claim on insurance, People just not bothering is not showing the correct picture of whats going on in the area, I was in Club Atlantis outside there going up the hill towards Scotch Corner is regular thefts going on. BEWARE, and GO TO THE POLICE...GET IT RECORDED

blondie
09-05-2013, 15:50
My god are you kidding . I remember you told me last year that I did not live in the real world and was talking a lot of tosh all because I warned poeple to be on their guard at all times. Since then I could write a book about the unfortunatefolk who have fallen victim to crime in Tenerife and what makes it worse for me was the fact I sent them there in the first place.I am talking from experience now and it is not one I want to repeat so if I have to shout it from the rafters to warn folk, then I will. I hate the way they have made me feel as I trust no one now but they wont stop mecoming to my favourite island. So Timmylish how long have you lived in Tenerife if this is all news to you , I find it hard to believe

bonitatime
10-05-2013, 08:54
But there is crime in every holiday resort and every big city worldwide or are you claiming South Tenerife is worse than other locations?

TF1
10-05-2013, 09:02
But there is crime in every holiday resort and every big city worldwide or are you claiming South Tenerife is worse than other locations?
No, but it used to be a lot better. Is there an active business association in the area, if so do any forum members belong to it?

karinagal
10-05-2013, 11:14
Ladies, consider attaching one of these to your purse or bag. If anyone tries to grab them, the ringing will alert you. A small price to pay.. I've bought loads and passed them on to friends and relatives - I'm bringing more with me next week!!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=221168033988&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=16650060251

Fivepence
10-05-2013, 11:19
Ladies, consider attaching one of these to your purse or bag. If anyone tries to grab them, the ringing will alert you. A small price to pay.. I've bought loads and passed them on to friends and relatives - I'm bringing more with me next week!!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=221168033988&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=16650060251

Thanks Karin, going to order some for the ladies in the family. :tiphat:

Malteser Monkey
10-05-2013, 11:29
Thanks Karin, going to order some for the ladies in the family. :tiphat:

Yes good idea - well worth it for 3.74

Addick
10-05-2013, 15:04

Those bells are very popular with the customers in the supermarket I work in. First time I heard them I thought a cat had gotten into the store!:o

cheery
10-05-2013, 19:17
I don't think people are being alarmist and painting Tenerife in a non too favourable light. We get it over here at various times and I see nothing wrong with the public being made aware. I am on the police email list as a local business and get notifications of all sorts of stuff, fake notes, mobile thefts etc. for which I am thankful. My mum has one of those bells on her purse as well. It makes me laugh when she takes it out of her bag but it has done it's job hasn't it?

warbey
10-05-2013, 19:43

Yes.

I have never ever been robbed anywhere else..

It's not nice to have to be so security aware, especially on Holiday. It really takes the Edge off the enjoyment for Me.

Wont stop Me returning though.

marbro8
10-05-2013, 19:56
Yes.

It's not nice to have to be so security aware, especially on Holiday. It really takes the Edge off the enjoyment for Me.

Wont stop Me returning though.neither have i, but the good bits about tenerife far outweigh the bad, and it will never stop me from holidaying there either:spin:

bonitatime
10-05-2013, 20:19
I have lived here 30 years and never been robbed
That said it is a horrible thing to happen and People need to be aware

René
10-05-2013, 20:59
They now need to go to police station tomorrow for report reference (sure they could do without the hassle)

I am at the moment at the police station to report a break-in. I entered at 16.00 hours and still waiting. :mad:

woolli
10-05-2013, 21:55
Yes.

Wont stop Me returning though.
Warbs, have you been robbed here, and are you not security aware in North Wales? No crime there?

marbro8
10-05-2013, 22:37
Warbs, have you been robbed here, and are you not security aware in North Wales? No crime there?i must admit woolli that i only ever feel security conscious either when i go to birmingham at xmas, or when i am in tenerife:dontknow:, i know that great britain is one of the hot spots for pick pockets but for some reason i don't feel threatened? but having said that i have never been pick pocketed in the uk only tenerife? maybe it is a state of mind, i watch for it now in tenerife, and i prepare for it, only going out with what i intend to spend etc etc:wink2:

René
11-05-2013, 10:25
I am at the moment at the police station to report a break-in. I entered at 16.00 hours and still waiting. :mad:

I left the police station at 22.45. So almost 7 hours to report a break-in.

junglejim
11-05-2013, 10:29
Seems about right , could you not reort it by phone René ? Then go down and sign ?
They are only interested in activities that bring in revenue - multas for minor infringements - real crime doesn´t seem to interest them !

ofimart
11-05-2013, 11:05

Does any one know if they sell these over here and where to buy them I wouldn't mind a couple fo them.

Jacquie .

René
11-05-2013, 11:09
Seems about right , could you not reort it by phone René ? Then go down and sign ?
They are only interested in activities that bring in revenue - multas for minor infringements - real crime doesn´t seem to interest them !

Yes you can report it by phone, but thereafter you have to wait in the same queue to sign the report. 3 young holiday makers reported a crime by phone and could sign the document just before they helped us. They where there at 15.00 hours and left just before us.:zzz:

Angusjim
11-05-2013, 11:11
Does any one know if they sell these over here and where to buy them I wouldn't mind a couple fo them.

Jacquie .

Try the Lookie Lookie men they will sell them to you then can arrange to see if they work later on:wink:

karinagal
11-05-2013, 15:16

Jacquie .

I can bring a batch over with me next week if needed. I'm arriving on 18th around noon....!

Addick
11-05-2013, 15:23

Jacquie .

If you have an ebay account some of the other sellers on there deliver worldwide:

this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Nickel-Gilt-Handbag-Purse-Security-Twin-Bell-Keyring-/360416243140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item53ea7b6dc4 has delivery charge of £1.80 to Spain as a rough idea.

failing that if you have a £1 shop equivalent (Chinese cheap tat) type place near you see if they have cat collars and remove the bell from that (after paying for it, of course:whistle:)

who-r-ya
11-05-2013, 16:49
You wont be looking like someone on holiday then....? probably helps?

warbey
11-05-2013, 20:22
i must admit woolli that i only ever feel security conscious either when i go to birmingham at xmas, or when i am in tenerife:dontknow:, i know that great britain is one of the hot spots for pick pockets but for some reason i don't feel threatened? but having said that i have never been pick pocketed in the uk only tenerife? maybe it is a state of mind, i watch for it now in tenerife, and i prepare for it, only going out with what i intend to spend etc etc:wink2:

Thats Me Too Mate.. Exactly....:sorry::agree:

ofimart
12-05-2013, 09:02
Try the Lookie Lookie men they will sell them to you then can arrange to see if they work later on:wink:

I must admit I've always thought of them as harmless friendly and respectful to be honest , maybe I've missed something or see the good in people. I do however remember having 2 men in our office and I was being very helpful to them only to discover after they had left they had nicked my mobile phone off my desk !!!!!!! Too trusting that's my downfall !!!

Jacquie.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If you have an ebay account some of the other sellers on there deliver worldwide:

this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Nickel-Gilt-Handbag-Purse-Security-Twin-Bell-Keyring-/360416243140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item53ea7b6dc4 has delivery charge of £1.80 to Spain as a rough idea.

failing that if you have a £1 shop equivalent (Chinese cheap tat) type place near you see if they have cat collars and remove the bell from that (after paying for it, of course:whistle:)

Thanks . I had a look on amazon and they have them on there too.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I can bring a batch over with me next week if needed. I'm arriving on 18th around noon....!

You are a sweetheart. Pm sent !

Jacquie.

blondie
12-05-2013, 12:45
Thats Me Too Mate.. Exactly....:sorry::agree:

Yes again, I never go around at home checking behind me the way I do in Tenerife now. Its such a shame but necessary .Re lookie lookie men I always thought they were harmless too till I got on the wrong side of one last month. Boy was he scary but I would not back down and he replaced the item but he was not happy and showed it.

macdonald5
12-05-2013, 14:14
Take care is still the motto for us here !!
Last night coming home around 1.30 am we watched 3 males lurking in the pathway near Club Atlantis(leads along to Ricky's Golden Hands)
They seemed very intend watching down the hill so don't image they were going to help any 'oldies' at top of breathless hill ??
Security guard from Club Atlantis seemed to be keeping an eye on their activities too
Bit earlier we saw a lone lady very much under influence of drink criss crossing her way along past Rum Pot ,Irish Rover etc very oblivious of her surroundings
We all felt concern for her safety but what can you (safely) do in this situation
We only hope she could get home unharmed and with herself and handbag intact

Malteser Monkey
12-05-2013, 14:20
It happened to me twice in the 90's when working there

By Pleasure Island - I was just getting my cigs out of my bag when a PR came up and put his arms round me n my mate inviting us into a bar in Veronicas - and just like that 10 mil gone from my bag - didn't realise til I went to get a round in ! I didn't really get a look at him to have been able to do anything about it.

than another night just by tajinastes blocks got my bag snatched from my shoulder - he ran down the ally at the side !

B;;;;;ardos:redcard:

macdonald5 no wonder there's no weather from you !

Enjoy hun

warbey
12-05-2013, 18:35
I, for One, don't take a delight in reporting how I feel from MY viewpoint as a Holidaymaker.

We are singled out and suffer more harrassment than Residents, believe Me.

It is not something recent, it has always been a threat since Our first visit in the 90's, some Years

worse than Others.

As We are known to a few Locals now, We are sometimes tipped off when these Thieves show up.

The fact that Authorities have allowed this to go on for so long, and Some Residents thinking this

is no worse that other Places, means that unfortunately it will continue......

Lookie Men have a Hierarchy and need to hit Targets I Believe. Be positive and They are O.K.

Dither and They pounce.

candy2411
12-05-2013, 19:16
Totally agree Warbey, the more reporting goes on the better. Only a very small percentage of tourists read this forum and its important the message is conveyed on a wider scale.

I seem to remember a few years ago, when the bus stop at Los Cristianos was a major problem, notices appeared stating this was a 'favourite spot for pickpockets'. These were not official notices obviously but placed there by someone in the public interest.

I don't know if they reduced the level of instances of crime in that area, but at least they alerted everyone to the possibility.

This surely is what's needed in the Puerto Colon area , even if it helps only a couple of people.

celine
12-05-2013, 19:18
I hope you are ok? what a horrible thing to happen to you
7 hours to report a break in is horrendous..
don't they want people on the island?
every resident is paying their wages one way or another
kindest regards celine

timmylish
13-05-2013, 02:21
For those of you seeking personal information I have lived on Tenerife for more than 23 years now, living in a variey of places from Los Menores to Los Gigantes, from PDLA to Torviscas and LC to Cabo Blanco and now to a final resting place in San Isidro.
I stand by what I have said in that I am only giving an honest picture of mine and my families life here whether on a residential or touristic basis.

who-r-ya
13-05-2013, 15:10
Warbey, well put my friend, residents have to start doing something, its great getting warned by people, but myself and others who regular stay in Club Atlantis are fed up of trying to chase these thieves and console their victims. Everyday a group of us had to console a poor shocked holidaymaker who didnt know what had hit them. But it was the same 3 months ago when I was there..nothing has changed, are the local cafe's and restaurants scared of reprisals by these thieves? what is it? it would not happen in England, yes there is thieving but this is getting very serious, the residents through not doing anything are making NO GO AREAS. thing is there will be so many all joining up into one big area, people will stop going to Tenerife.

Bazz
13-05-2013, 15:36
Are you for real Timmylish, ONE purse! its a daily occurance in the area day and night young or old its getting serious when I was there 2 weeks ago I witnessed a serious theft, people report to their hotels, its hard when you are on holiday to spend time at the police station, me personally would go and join the que and get police number and claim on insurance, People just not bothering is not showing the correct picture of whats going on in the area, I was in Club Atlantis outside there going up the hill towards Scotch Corner is regular thefts going on. BEWARE, and GO TO THE POLICE...GET IT RECORDED

Thanks for the warning who-r-ya. :c2:
We are often out and about in this area. Will be on my guard! :gun:

tracy hampshire
13-05-2013, 16:43
a friend of mine lost his brand new i phone in santa cruz market yesterday, as you can imagine he was frantic looking for it,we honestly thought he had no hope of getting it back especially in a place as busy as that, after a couple of hours he contacted the local police & low & behold it had been handed in, so tenerife is not all bad, would be nice to hear about some good things too x

warbey
13-05-2013, 20:15
For those of you seeking personal information I have lived on Tenerife for more than 23 years now, living in a variey of places from Los Menores to Los Gigantes, from PDLA to Torviscas and LC to Cabo Blanco and now to a final resting place in San Isidro.
I stand by what I have said in that I am only giving an honest picture of mine and my families life here whether on a residential or touristic basis.

Timmy, I was pointing out that Residents have a darker Colour than Holidaymakers.

I am rarely bothered after I go brown, and carry a current copy of El Pais or similar.

So, We areidentifiable as recently arrived, and probably carrying Cash..

Those who fit this Description are Targetted. Others wont be..

Tracey, We all love the Place, that's why We keep coming back.......So do the Thieves!

TF1
14-05-2013, 08:30
I was watching a program on El Cuatro the other night about East European pickpockets who work the tourist spots and the Metros. In Barcelona, over 30% of Japanese tourists are robbed. In Madrid, the police were arresting the pickpockets, only to see them get released a few hours later and return to the Metro to carry on. None of them own passports, so they cannot be deported.

The networks are run within set territories, and there are often deadly conflicts between gangs who all fight to control the key areas. Many of the pickpockets were just 12 years old, and if they didn't hit their target number of thefts, were afraid of beatings by their superiors.

I still maintain that the way to resolve this is via the business associations putting extreme pressure on the local politicians to tighten up security. In Barcelona the authorities are now banning individual offenders from entering parts of the city, each time they break their "bail" they get 30 days inside. We need something similar here if tourism is to be protected.

who-r-ya
14-05-2013, 16:41
YES, YES, YES...well said my friend.

Red Devil
17-05-2013, 23:37
Unfortunately another sad report - last Saturday an elderly lady walking past Victoria Court in Los Cristianos was mugged by someone who she thinks was Romanian, she was with her husband when this man put his arm around her neck from behind, knocking her to the ground and stealing her handbag.
She needed 5 stitches in a large wound and after the initial hospital visit then had to attend the clinic in Los Cris every day this week.
The ambulance attendants who attended were initially quite unsympathetic, just insisting she was " with alcohol" and that caused her injury. No police were called by them and the couple were too shocked at the time to insist, so the elderly couple went to the police station themselves the next day to report it.
The police say they know the gang who carry this out but have been unable to catch them yet.
This poor lady now says she is due to come back to Tenerife in November with a female friend but is very nervous about doing so, also she says she will never carry a handbag at night again.
What on earth is going to be done?

macdonald5
18-05-2013, 00:26
Unfortunately this lovely island(and its economy) is suffering big time with these horrible incidents
We are by no means easily scared but now find ourselves not going to bars and restuarants that mean a walk back in quiet areas giving these yobs a chance to strike.
Quieter walkways now unfortunately frighten holidaymakers off venturing away from 'safer'busier areas

Leam_Lin
18-05-2013, 05:58
Unfortunately this lovely island(and its economy) is suffering big time with these horrible incidents
We are by no means easily scared but now find ourselves not going to bars and restuarants that mean a walk back in quiet areas giving these yobs a chance to strike.
Quieter walkways now unfortunately frighten holidaymakers off venturing away from 'safer'busier areas

We stopped walking back f.
rom the moonlight bar couple years ago, very isolated around the Plough area late at night.

If leaving Puerto Colon late to walk back to Panorama we are very aware of who is about.

blondie
18-05-2013, 14:59
We have also stopped going out fot entertainment now as it is just a worry about having to walk back to your hotel or apt, its just not worth it. For a while after I was mugged we used to get taxis back but found that they too were cashing in and turned yournight out into a very expensive one. It is only by being savvy to all the scums dirty tricks that we were able to read situations and foil their tactics. In Jan. and Apr. the same three people working together targeted us . The first time one of them literally fell about writhing at our feet the other two , waiting to pounce when we went to his aid. We stepped over him on the pavement and continued walking to their surprise. I must add after 30 yrs as a nurse this felt really alien to me but glad my common sense prevailed.The last one is a new one to me . A guy on scooter stopped not far from me and shone his full beam light on my face, I was unable to see anything but my husband saw the same girl as last time walking quickly towards me,so he put his hand up in front of her and guided me past. The next morning at breakfast we overheard someone who had not been as unfortunate as ourselves who had her bag snatched in the same way. So folks , another ploy to look out for and be aware of. Sorry its a bit long winded.

Jackalina
18-05-2013, 18:02
Do these people just pick on anyone, or are they more inclined to choose people who are drunk or elderly?

blondie
18-05-2013, 18:05
I dont proclaim to be any of these thank you .

Jackalina
18-05-2013, 18:17
Didn't mean that to come out like that sorry! I should have widened the choice to include young, sober etc. please accept my apology.

who-r-ya
18-05-2013, 19:16
Didn't mean that to come out like that sorry! I should have widened the choice to include young, sober etc. please accept my apology.

Actually anyone can be robbed, its not just holiday makers either, my friend who is a resident of many years was robbed. It waste of time widening your choice of who you think will be robbed/mugged they do not care, and as Blondie says she was with her husband, I was with 4 people! and they still tried it. But came unstuck that night they got chased, but they knew the back doubles, THEY were the lucky ones that night, cos we didn't catch em!

warbey
18-05-2013, 20:54
I read a Thread earlier about a Couple who had a good Holiday without troubles.

The Poster said He wanted to Post without Negativity.....or words to that effect.

After reading the Incidents on Here, which relate ONLY to People connected with this Forum,

I sincerely hope We don't get the Opportunity to say, "We told You so".............

Red Devil
18-05-2013, 23:16
Up to now I have been a bit uncertain about being too negative, I love the Island and realise too much bad publicity is not good for visitor numbers but things are getting worse, or, I feel as though the situation is getting worse.
Perhaps residents are different from tourists ( and therefore dont feel there is a problem) because their routine could be different? Perhaps they only go out late at night occasionally? Perhaps they have a car so therefore are not walking around much after a night out? Or going out might be to a restaurant in a local residential area?
Only guessing there, what I do know is that I am constantly aware and watching - perhaps a taxi when in the past I would have walked?
There is a website called www.change.org where anyone can start a petition about anything they feel strongly about, perhaps a petition doing the rounds would make the police and council wake up and start being more proactive?

Skeggy
19-05-2013, 08:32
Up to now I have been a bit uncertain about being too negative, I love the Island and realise too much bad publicity is not good for visitor numbers but things are getting worse, or, I feel as though the situation is getting worse.
Perhaps residents are different from tourists ( and therefore dont feel there is a problem) because their routine could be different? Perhaps they only go out late at night occasionally? Perhaps they have a car so therefore are not walking around much after a night out? Or going out might be to a restaurant in a local residential area?
Only guessing there, what I do know is that I am constantly aware and watching - perhaps a taxi when in the past I would have walked?
There is a website called www.change.org where anyone can start a petition about anything they feel strongly about, perhaps a petition doing the rounds would make the police and council wake up and start being more proactive?

I think you are spot on about the police and Council being a bit more active in this area, two yrs ago I sat at the bus station in Los Cris and watched two guys pretending to look as tourists with timetables continually trying to dip older people, some who I must say gave them every opportunity. These two were obviously eastern Europeans, Tenerife is not as bad as Barcelona where Romanian's carry on with no problem as well as London.

blondie
19-05-2013, 14:58
I was pleased to see a police presence at the Los Cristianos bus station last month, other than scooting about the front posing as they usually do. I said last month when I returned home where are the police at night when they are needed? It needs a police presence on the streets , surely that would be a deterrent and the poor tourists would feel safer. No need for an apology Jackalina this is something I feel so passionately about because nothing is ever done about it. My husband and I both love Tenerife and have been coming here for over twenty years and I also hate being so negative about the place but as things stand just now , need must.

Jackalina
19-05-2013, 16:16
Phew I thought I had offended you blondie. I am a regular visitor to tenerife have been at least 3 times a year for last ten. Feel fortunate never to have had any incident, although I know it does go on it doesn't put me off. We are over in June for a wedding and some friends who have never been are coming with us, they are not frequent travellers and I am a bit concerned for them. I will point out some of the things that have been mentioned but don't want to worry them unnecessarily.

Leam_Lin
19-05-2013, 17:28
When we were in Tenerife in April I picked a leaflet up with very good info regarding do's & donts regarding looking after your belongings.
Got it from the hotel reception.

Tshirt
20-05-2013, 17:25
If somebody had said to me 12 months ago that they could remove my wallet from my trouser pocket without me knowing I would have laughed at them. This happened to me the day I arrived in Tenerife for 2 weeks holiday last Xmas.

My wallet went missing on the Titsa 111 bus between TFS and LA bus station. I didn’t realise it had gone until I got in a taxi at the bus station. Thought at first I’d dropped it on the bus, went back to the bus that was still on it’s stand but no sign, (wishful thinking I know). Wallet contained £160, 110 euros, bank card, credit card and prepaid currency card . Fortunately my wife had the same cards and cash.

Got to our accommodation and spent the next hour cancelling the cards, was told that attempts had been made to withdraw money on all three cards within the last hour, unsuccessfully. There was nothing in my wallet that gave any clue to my pin numbers.

On advice from my travel insurance company I had to report the loss to the police within 24 hours. Reception got the number for me and I thought I was talking to a girl at the local station but in fact she was in Madrid. I was on the phone for about 30 mins while I answered lots of seemingly irrelevant questions like the names of both my parents(both deceased). She seemed amazed that my credit card was issued by a supermarket, Tesco Bank. Told to go to the police station to get a crime report and provided me with a ref. No.

That evening I had time to think about what had happened, couldn’t think about anything else tbh. When I got on the bus I was making my way down the aisle towards the rear of the bus when this guy got up from his seat and half blocked my way, I just pushed past him and didn’t think any more about it at the time. Sat down and because I’m tall I always have trouble fitting my legs in so my wife always sits next to the window and I leave one leg in the aisle. It was this leg pocket that contained my wallet. As the bus set off the same guy came down the bus and sat across from me, I still didn’t suspect anything. Just before we got to Los Cristianos he spoke in german to somebody behind me.( I can speak a bit of german from my time in the army there, bratwurst bier pommes frits etc.) He repeated it three times and I think it was some sort of signal to his accomplice to leg it with my wallet that he’d lifted without me knowing. They both got off the bus in los Cris.

Saturday morning we got to the police station at about 1130 and joined the queue of other victims. This made me feel better in one way that I wasn’t the only one stupid enough to get his wallet pinched. Left the police station at 1430, nowhere to get a drink, no toilets and we lost an hour while they did a shift change at lunchtime. Crime report in hand ready to start my holiday. I suppose it was a week before I started to get over the experience.

It hasn’t put me off going to Tenerife, we were back there in March and next Xmas/New Year is booked, but we do things differently now. We’re very aware of who’s about, don’t venture very far at night, draw less money at a time from the ATM, only carry what we need and when I sit on a bus I make sure my wallet isn’t next to the aisle. Taxi from TFS etc etc.

Sorry this is long winded but wanted to share it with you.

BTW I’m 6’ 4” 16 stone but I’m 69 yrs old and walk with a stick. Significant??

warbey
20-05-2013, 20:21
In the U.K. We have Information being made available on request.

Anyone know if there is similar for Spain..?

These Robbery Figures would surely get Someone off His Easy Chair........ if made Public.

macdonald5
23-05-2013, 10:55
Another 'poolside friend' fell victim to thieving scum last evening whilst coming up the hill from Puerto Colon
Leaflet waving man came close enough to get his wallet from buttoned pocket in a flash
Credit card, money and driving licence all went
Happened at 10pm and card had been tried at 10.03 !! Thankfully without success
Another day at police station and inconvenience Police showed almost 200 mug shots but all happened so rapid ID impossible
He has been holidaying here for almost 30 years safely but now very disillusioned as he thought he was street aware

ciderhunter
23-05-2013, 11:57
Barcelona is one of the worst places for robberies. However, it just got a little bit safer.

http://islamversuseurope.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/barcelona-muslim-thief-gets-more-than.html#comment-form

who-r-ya
23-05-2013, 18:20
BTW I’m 6’ 4” 16 stone but I’m 69 yrs old and walk with a stick. Significant??

Sorry this happened to you, my hubby would also not believe it could happen to him..
Sounds like what you endured afterwards made things even worse, what a nightmare!
I also do not believe your details are significant, I have seen and heard of people of all walks of life shape n size get robbed, I just do not know why people on this forum think its a certain type of person that gets robbed. The only similarity is people were in the wrong place at the wrong time, where the thieving scumbags were!
Like you, I love Tenerife and I will not be put off, I am more aware and will help other people to be aware and perhaps the police will be more active soon, who knows, but lets all keep coming back!!

SVFUN
23-05-2013, 20:03
Timmy , I stay within 100 yards of that area , as reported the CC San Eugenio, the walk up from Puerto Colon , along to Bouganville , along to the bridge over motorway is notorious for muggings, pickpockets due to repeat offenders .
The shopping centre is particularly bad when busy , yet you never see any police in the centre - they are too busy outside with Grua booking cars or checking paperwork .
We hear regular stories of people being dipped or worse , especially in winter when swallows are here- constantly warning people about their holiday habits of leaving bags , phones unattended .
There are prime targets in that area due to alcohol intake , but during the day the shopping centre is a major target and the authorities want nothing to do with it .

Defo agree with that one .you never see police about down there ..until youre parked illegally ...Then they are like Muggers 3 come at once

warbey
23-05-2013, 20:57
Any chance of persuading the Spanish Chap featured in the Clip within Post 60 to holiday here.?

Instant Justice.. He SHOT the Robbing ?@:}+%. I rather like the Idea of carrying a Taser......

mcoady
23-05-2013, 20:59

Great idea! Thanks karinagal

macdonald5
26-05-2013, 09:06
Suspect we were nearly victims last night as we came down path at side of Harley's ,two young men ran towards us then tried to be over friendly and shake my husbands hand !!
As loud as possible I shouted 'Police car' and they scampered up path to main road
We were not even late,was only just after 11
Then walking through the park we chose our safest exit as another two lads were sitting on top bench opposite Club Atlantis Keep aware defo necessary !!

candy2411
26-05-2013, 10:26
Suspect we were nearly victims last night as we came down path at side of Harley's ,two young men ran towards us then tried to be over friendly and shake my husbands hand !!
As loud as possible I shouted 'Police car' and they scampered up path to main road
Then walking through the park we chose our safest exit as another two lads were sitting on top bench opposite Club Atlantis Keep aware defo necessary !!

Good you were aware and glad nothing bad happened.
Can't help feeling sorry for the more unfortunate ones who may not be as streetwise as you.I seldom visit the San Eugenio area after dark, great place in the daytime,but obviously a different place after sunset.

Shame really not just for tourists but also bar and restaurant owners, as if it continues the whole area will no doubt suffer.
Maybe there's something to be said for ALL INCLUSIVE after all! where there's no need to leave the hotel!!:(

junglejim
26-05-2013, 10:48
My Daughter and Son in Law came up that way earlier from Slow Boat going to Harleys , they would have been there about 9ish - every time I tell her to be careful she moans at me -I´ll show her this comment!

macdonald5
26-05-2013, 11:14
Good you were aware and glad nothing bad happened.
Can't help feeling sorry for the more unfortunate ones who may not be as streetwise as you.I seldom visit the San Eugenio area after dark, great place in the daytime,but obviously a different place after sunset.

Shame really not just for tourists but also bar and restaurant owners, as if it continues the whole area will no doubt suffer.
Maybe there's something to be said for ALL INCLUSIVE after all! where there's no need to leave the hotel!!:(

Yes agree that local bars must be suffering with apprehension of getting home safely after dark
We are not easily frightened but have definately cut off a number of bars and restuarants we now feel are bit iffy for safety
Over our 10 weeks or so here that's a fair amount of loss to local economy!! Don't want to go down the (possiblycheaper) all inclusive route BUT want to be safe and relaxed here, we don't come away tobe constantly looking over our shoulders

marbro8
26-05-2013, 11:34
Yes agree that local bars must be suffering with apprehension of getting home safely after dark
We are not easily frightened but have definately cut off a number of bars and restuarants we now feel are bit iffy for safety
Over our 10 weeks or so here that's a fair amount of loss to local economy!! Don't want to go down the (possiblycheaper) all inclusive route BUT want to be safe and relaxed here, we don't come away tobe constantly looking over our shoulderssomething really needs to be done, just a police presence in the hot spots would do it, if enough people got together maybe to petition the local council? but to be honest they can't even pay their own life guards:(,
just a thought, how about setting up a vigilante force, they would hardly get into trouble because if the police can't be bothered to police the bad areas then they wouldn't be bothered to police a vigilante group:devil2:;)

Tshirt
26-05-2013, 13:18

I've never stayed anywhere all inclusive and I don't want to either. The whole point of self catering is that we can use different bars/restaurants as we wish. Every one has their favourites, if you can't use those there's no point coming in the first place.

blondie
26-05-2013, 13:31
This all makes for very sad reading. Surely we all dont have tourist written across our foreheads. What is it that makes us vulnerable on a night time. The scum frequent the same areas night after night , surely the police know of this too but do nothing about it. We will be back out in a few weeks but have decided if we still feel as if we have to be on our guard as we did last time we were here, then it is time to call it a day in Tenerife. We want very little just the sun and a nice meal at night we can surely find that somewhere without the need to be continually checking around us.i I am quite sure the people who live here and contribute to this forum think we are all alarmist nutters , but as the saying goes , until you have walked in that persons shoes ...................

marbro8
26-05-2013, 13:40
I've never stayed anywhere all inclusive and I don't want to either. The whole point of self catering is that we can use different bars/restaurants as we wish. Every one has their favourites, if you can't use those there's no point coming in the first place.but if every holidaymaker did make a protest by going all inclusive, and made it known that the pickpockets and mugging was the reason they no longer felt safe enough to walk the streets to use local businesses how long do you think it would be before there was a backlash against the police and local council? thereby forcing them to take action;), i know it would be a ball ache for us as holidaymakers but if it worked then it may have been worth it:dontknow:

Red Devil
26-05-2013, 13:44
something really needs to be done, just a police presence in the hot spots would do it, if enough people got together maybe to petition the local council? but to be honest they can't even pay their own life guards:(,
just a thought, how about setting up a vigilante force, they would hardly get into trouble because if the police can't be bothered to police the bad areas then they wouldn't be bothered to police a vigilante group:devil2:;)

I have mentioned before, anyone can start a petition on anything on www.change.org.
If someone resident in Tenerife could start one asking the police to provide a presence in these areas then surely many signatures could be obtained, specially if it got on facebook also?
The downside of course is the negative publicity for Tenerife rolleyes2:

marbro8
26-05-2013, 13:49
I have mentioned before, anyone can start a petition on anything on www.change.org.
If someone resident in Tenerife could start one asking the police to provide a presence in these areas then surely many signatures could be obtained, specially if it got on facebook also?
The downside of course is the negative publicity for Tenerife rolleyes2:just had a look at the link, bloody hell it is easy:laugh:, i was just about to start it but i didn't know who to send it to:laugh:

Red Devil
26-05-2013, 14:21
just had a look at the link, bloody hell it is easy:laugh:, i was just about to start it but i didn't know who to send it to:laugh:
I've never done one either but presumably if you started it you could post the link on here for everyone to sign and people could individually send the link on to other people?
Not on facebook so couldn't pass it on there myself.
Go on Marbro, I'm right behind you :D

Tshirt
26-05-2013, 14:32
I've signed online petitions before, but ones that are presented to the UK gobment. Would you be able to present it to the relevant authorities in Tenerife?

TF1
26-05-2013, 14:48
something really needs to be done, just a police presence in the hot spots would do it, if enough people got together maybe to petition the local council? but to be honest they can't even pay their own life guards:(,

Be careful, if it's like Barcelona and Madrid these gangs are run by Eastern Europeans who wouldn't think twice about causing serious injury to anyone who crosses their paths.

Suzanne
26-05-2013, 15:19
Karina very kindly brought some for me and mine, and now when ever we hear the bells!!!!! someone shouts "PURSE ALERT" makes us laugh but it is catching on. Thanks again karina.

Red Devil
26-05-2013, 15:42
I've signed online petitions before, but ones that are presented to the UK gobment. Would you be able to present it to the relevant authorities in Tenerife?
Would imagine it would need to be in Spanish ( with English translation) to present to either mayors of Arona & Adeje or to the police?
I understand what you're saying about a bell for purses Suzanne, but with the story I related about a lady mugged by Victoria Court in Los Cris a few pages back, she was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground so I dont think a bell would stop muggers intent on robbery, only perhaps a pickpocket.

TF1
26-05-2013, 16:03
Would imagine it would need to be in Spanish ( with English translation) to present to either mayors of Arona & Adeje or to the police?
I understand what you're saying about a bell for purses Suzanne, but with the story I related about a lady mugged by Victoria Court in Los Cris a few pages back, she was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground so I dont think a bell would stop muggers intent on robbery, only perhaps a pickpocket.

I suggest making a Change.org petition in Spanish and English, and then presenting it to the Adeje business association, so that they can present it to the alcalde, to the Cabildo and a few Canarian newspapers, you should see some movement.

Also, Adeje have a form on their website just for complaints and suggestions. They actually do seem to take notice.

https://www.ayuntamientodeadeje.es/siac/FormulariosAnonimos/ShowFormAnonimo.aspx?idProc=23&idnct=781&x=x4nrDvrusQYxv6ZL38%20uaA

Remember that the town hall control the local police, but if the job is too complicated, the locals will pass the responsibility onto the nationals, who are a lot harder in their methods.

karinagal
26-05-2013, 21:57
The company who sell the purse bells- Percy Group - also do a range of purse and personal alarms:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purse-Alarm-Handbag-Device-Assorted/dp/B0061N5L90/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=ANFGLZWPG698I

If anyone wishes me to bring these over on my next trip, I'm planning to be here again on the 18th of July.

Karina
:p :D :p