PDA

View Full Version : They have changed the drop off rules at Tenerife south airport

John
09-05-2013, 14:09
Please be aware that they have changed the drop off rules at TFS.

Previously you could stay for 20 minutes at the drop off point.

Today we left the car for about 10 minutes to find on our return from meeting a friend that the car had been removed to a compound and we had to pay €50 to get it back.

The only sign at the entrance to the drop off point says 'Drop off only use car park for anything else' or words to that effect. I only managed to read this because l had to go past it again after retrieving the car from the compound.

There are no warning signs about vehicles being removed or the cost of doing so.

This is a wonderful way of the airport authorities making money.

Shame on Tenerife!

kiwiphil
09-05-2013, 14:28
Please be aware that they have changed the drop off rules at TFS.

Previously you could stay for 20 minutes at the drop off point.

Today we left the car for about 10 minutes to find on our return from meeting a friend that the car had been removed to a compound and we had to pay €50 to get it back.

The only sign at the entrance to the drop off point says 'Drop off only use car park for anything else' or words to that effect. I only managed to read this because l had to go past it again after retrieving the car from the compound.

There are no warning signs about vehicles being removed or the cost of doing so.

This is a wonderful way of the airport authorities making money.

Shame on Tenerife!

You still can stay for 20 minutes .... with your car.

Be fair - if everyone used the drop off area for "short stay" then there would be no room to drop people off. They have a perfectly good car park and its way cheaper than most UK ones for a short stay.

Regarding the signs, I think its pretty obvious its not a car park. Its not the UK and it doesn't need a sign for every potential situation. Common sense is meant to prevail.

Try parking in the Gatwick drop off area and seeing friends off. I bet it costs more than 50€ to get your car back.

slodgedad
09-05-2013, 14:38
As far as I'm aware you have never been allowed to park in the drop off point.

It has always been a 'drop off point'

Malteser Monkey
09-05-2013, 14:43
As far as I'm aware you have never been allowed to park in the drop off point.

It has always been a 'drop off point'

I was just thinking that - it's the pull up park, kick 'em out the door - there's your suitcases, glad you had a nice time, see ya next time - bay:D

casabonny
09-05-2013, 14:43
The clue is in the name DROP OFF not get out of your car and go and meet someone.

garlicbread
09-05-2013, 15:05
and it has been like this for years and, as someone else has said,....try leaving your car outside any departures point at any British airport and see what happens

angiebabes
09-05-2013, 15:39
Yes, never leave your car at this drop off point, it won't be there when you return, but have sat there many a time waiting for a plane without hassle, and if it is very busy you can always drive slowly round the block again.

Albatros
09-05-2013, 15:41
Security, security, security.

Not even a bag is allowed to be left unattended inside or outside any airport, anywhere.

Airports all over are being redesigned to have all parking a safe distance from the terminals.

Brian
09-05-2013, 16:20
The clue is in the name DROP OFF not get out of your car and go and meet someone.

And in most UK airports you now have to pay just to drop someone off.

imablue
09-05-2013, 16:37
Over the years i,ve been living here i have stopped in my car waiting for family to arrive and not once have i been asked to move...as is says on the tin... "Drop Off Area"....
Don,t leave the car unattended....:nono:

casabonny
09-05-2013, 16:58

Yep, in Luton its 5 pounds to drop someone off and if caught stopping and dropping off on the road leading in its a very hefty fine.

BobMac
09-05-2013, 17:18

At Stansted, you can go into the Drop Off zone at the airport and pay or they have set up an off site drop off zone where you can be dropped off free in one of the Car Parks and you use the Car Park bus to get to the terminal.

BoPeep
09-05-2013, 17:28
East Midlands is £1 but drop off on the outlying roads and the fine is soon in the post apparently courtesy of hidden cameras so I've been told!

John
09-05-2013, 18:10
Yes, l know that l am a plonker and yes, l should not be a naughty boy but, l have seen many empty cars left there in the past with no action being taken and the sign has changed and it no longer refers to a time limit.
They must have the area under CCTV because we walked from there to the arrivals where our guest was waiting and walked straight back. In that time they had arrived with their removal vehicle, loaded my car and disappeared before we returned.
I also generally have a grudge against all airport car parking in Europe particularly Luton, Stansted and Gatwick.

I just wanted to warn those who have had a similar experience to me in the past that it appears the rules have been tightened and l don't want them to penalise anyone else with a €50 fine. It can be better used on Sangria or Tapas.

mike in chayofa
09-05-2013, 18:54
The carpark at Tenerife south is 'free' for the first 30 minutes and then you pay by the minute after that - it doesn't cost much either

blackzed
09-05-2013, 18:57
TFS Car Park isn't free anymore, but it's not much, I think I paid 40c last week for 20-30 mins, which is great compared to UK fees. And cheaper than a Grua!

LeFrunk
09-05-2013, 19:25
HA HA HA , yous are lucky , if you had left your car and went into Belfast airport it most deffo not be there when you got out , it wouldnt be in the compound either, it most likely would have been blowen up by bomb disposal experts and then you could pick it up FREE from the local scrap yard . Ya got off lightly .

YOUNG GOLFER
09-05-2013, 19:58

That's true and pay two pounds to use a trolley for your suitcases.
Think to to fair we have it very good here in Tenerife.

doreen
09-05-2013, 20:02
TFS Car Park isn't free anymore, but it's not much, I think I paid 40c last week for 20-30 mins, which is great compared to UK fees. And cheaper than a Grua!

Yes, free first half hour has disappeared which has probably led to more people risking parking at the Drop Off Point.

WELSH CLASSIC
09-05-2013, 20:04
When i dropped my wife off before returning our hire car 2 weeks ago there was a lot of empty cars parked in this place, this in the uk would be a security risk and you would never have free drop off .As you said you left the car and that would be clased as short term parking.

Santiago
09-05-2013, 21:56
I thought the whole point was in the wording: "Drop Off Point". It isn't a "Pick up Point", or a "Meet up Point" or even a Decimal Point!!! Come on, John, you were trying it on and suffered for it. At least you were good enough to warn others like you that an expensive fine was the result.

Medman
09-05-2013, 22:34
I thought the whole point was in the wording: "Drop Off Point". It isn't a "Pick up Point", or a "Meet up Point" or even a Decimal Point!!! Come on, John, you were trying it on and suffered for it. At least you were good enough to warn others like you that an expensive fine was the result.

What's your point Santi ?

kiwiphil
09-05-2013, 23:10
Yes, l know that l am a plonker and yes, l should not be a naughty boy but, l have seen many empty cars left there in the past with no action being taken and the sign has changed and it no longer refers to a time limit.

It always feels unfair when you get caught doing something that lots of others do as well. I'm sure I'll get my car towed one day for parking on the footpath / yellow lines / middle of the road in El Medano and feel equally picked on :) I should start putting a euro in a jar each time I get away with something for the time that I don't get away with it :)

golf birdie
10-05-2013, 09:26
there was a sign until recently saying ''maximum time limit 15 minutes''. I know this as I used to park there every week to use the post office. Once when I went there was a police man there and I asked if I was OK to leave the car there while I went in. He pointed to the sign and said no problem. Must of changed in the past 6 months or so.

Malteser Monkey
10-05-2013, 09:41
The carpark at Tenerife south is 'free' for the first 30 minutes and then you pay by the minute after that - it doesn't cost much either

Right that's it does anyone really know what's going on there ? Signs, no signs, free, not free, :whistle::D

golf birdie
10-05-2013, 09:47
Right that's it does anyone really know what's going on there ? Signs, no signs, free, not free, :whistle::D

the car park is no longer free, they changed the rules about 6 months back.

LUCKY
10-05-2013, 09:49
:feret::feret:
What is going on, i hope this fiasco does not spread to outside our butchers in our tiny hamlet in yorkshire

Malteser Monkey
10-05-2013, 09:53
What is going on, i hope this fiasco does not spread to outside our butchers in our tiny hamlet in yorkshire

Nope you are fine - there is a Max of 10 mins free, windows must be left open enough for ferets to breath tho', and a max of 4 ferets per trip:D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

the car park is no longer free, they changed the rules about 6 months back.

Someone better inform Mike

9PLUS
10-05-2013, 10:12
One thing is for sure if you leave your car there it'll get towed away and you'll have to pay €50

cheers

x

golf birdie
10-05-2013, 10:14
One thing is for sure if you leave your car there it'll get towed away and you'll have to pay €50

cheers

x

for once this man is correct

cheers

x

Malteser Monkey
10-05-2013, 10:19

cheers

x

fountain of knowledge - a man not to be mssed with

Fivepence
10-05-2013, 11:06

I'm freeeeeeeee.............Mrs Slocombe! :crylaughing:

Malteser Monkey
10-05-2013, 11:14
I'm freeeeeeeee.............Mrs Slocombe! :crylaughing:

and I thought you were 5p:whistle:

Can you do the walk tho' ?

9PLUS
10-05-2013, 11:17
fountain of knowledge - a man not to be mssed with

t'is friday...........................innit

x

Malteser Monkey