PDA

View Full Version : Have any Forum members been to Crete?

Angusjim
12-05-2013, 14:24
Sitting working away in the office today when I suddenly decided a holiday was needed, somewhere for a change I thought so we have booked a week end of August to Sissi area in Crete any forum members been there and can give me any info about the area good or bad ( probably should have asked before booking but write ups on Tripadvisor etc look good) :)

Malteser Monkey
12-05-2013, 14:27
Nope never been:D hope it's a nice one for you

Working on a Sunday AJ ?

Angusjim
12-05-2013, 14:34
Nope never been:D hope it's a nice one for you

Working on a Sunday AJ ?

7 days a week at the moment its a bit mad with tenders:)

Malteser Monkey
12-05-2013, 15:12
7 days a week at the moment its a bit mad with tenders:)

Ohh dear - soon be time for a pint:D

carpenter
12-05-2013, 15:14
Never been there but I heard something for the weekend tourist about little tours or mini tours or was it Minotaurs? :rofl:

blondie
12-05-2013, 16:05
Only to Elounda Angusjim but loved it there. People came out their houses for a blether with you so friendly. Found it easy to get around in a hire car we actually ran out of road , all part of the experience. All very laid back , something for everyone. Put me in the mood for another wee visit methinks

slodgedad
12-05-2013, 16:10
Lived there for 6 months and absolutely loved it. Food, people, sights everything.

I wouldn't be much help to you though as it was in 1973...:)

Malteser Monkey
12-05-2013, 16:31
Lived there for 6 months and absolutely loved it. Food, people, sights everything.

I wouldn't be much help to you though as it was in 1973...:)

are you on the run Slodgie:D:hide:

delderek
12-05-2013, 17:41
End of August,,,,Bloody hot, dry and dusty.

junglejim
12-05-2013, 18:11
End of August,,,,Bloody hot, dry and dusty.
And probably part of a war zone !
Have a good time AJ -plenty of local fish shops there !

marbro8
12-05-2013, 19:51
never been to crete AJ but because we loved cyprus so much and greek people in general we booked a holiday to zante, boy what a mistake, we booked 14 days and we were trying to get back for 10 of those:lol:, it was the standard of the accommodation,in the showers they don't have anywhere to hang the shower head?, you have to hold it while showering, no shower curtain so when i was showering and my wife used the loo she got drowned as did the floor:lol:,your accommodation will probably be of better quality than ours so i shouldn't get to worried about that;), one thing i would suggest is to visit the olympic village and the original sight of the olympic's now that was something else:wow:, only a short ferry ride from where we where and probably the same from crere? but well worth it, to stand where the first olympian's stood and where they actually light the olympic flame for every games ;)

Sal
12-05-2013, 20:11
Went to Crete years ago, but stayed in Gouves. Really nice island and hot - hot -hot!
Then we discovered Tenerife..............................end of story!

AL JAY
12-05-2013, 20:39
I have been to Crete a number of times and loved every minute of it,We stayed on the South side of the island in a lovely little fishing village called Agia Galini, its a small fishing village with some fabulous restaurantes/bars etc,the people are very friendly and accomodation is basic but nice and clean 20 euro per night! A friend of ours actually got married there and the ceremony was done by the local Mayor,140 Scousers attended and in the 2 weeks we were there we all had a ball so much so that another couple in our party got married there the year after! It has now become an annual event and now we are welcomed with open arms every year by the many friends we have made there! One year a load of us drove in a convoy through Plakias to Samaria Gorge where you can see Eagles soaring high above and we ended up in Rethymnon which is a bit like Los Cris was years ago,a fabulous Island and very friendly people!

TenerifeFanatic
12-05-2013, 21:38
Stayed with our neighbours who own on Crete, a few miles above Rythemnon. They ferried us across the island to countless wonderful places we absolutely loved the island, and would return in an instant..........take plenty Euros!.

marbro8
12-05-2013, 21:41
just watchin the inbetweeners film, it could have been made by the crete tourist board:crylaughing:

macdonald5
12-05-2013, 21:49
Not been to Crete but went to Lindos on Rhodes a couple of years ago after our postman recommended
Oh dear ! ! Far too basic for us, tiny shower - water sometimes , curtain smacked bare backsides , one teaspoon in self catering ,air conditioning could not reach round corner to bed area , pool area had cats running under sun beds and even delivering kittens !! Beautiful island but not our choice
Back to Tenerife each holiday now

9PLUS
12-05-2013, 22:10
Sitting working away in the office today when I suddenly decided a holiday was needed, somewhere for a change I thought so we have booked a week end of August to Sissi area in Crete any forum members been there and can give me any info about the area good or bad ( probably should have asked before booking but write ups on Tripadvisor etc look good) :)

glad to see the clampdown is finally working

cheers

x

slodgedad
13-05-2013, 00:46
Always depends what you expect from a holiday.

Great weather, trips, cheap booze, sights, atmosphere, etc. etc.

A lot of people choose Tenerife for the cheap booze, others don't drink.

My favourite holidays are spent in Wakefield

Ed3229
13-05-2013, 06:49

My daughter grew up in Crete (now in Athens) and her mother still lives in Crete..If you want info PM me and I can contact my daughter for the best spots to visit.
I will say avoid Malia after dark as its full of drunk teens.(see youtube)

And before somebody asks NO I DID NOT GET DRUNK in Malia resulting in my daughter....LOL

Angusjim
13-05-2013, 07:05
Thanks to everyone (well almost) for replies looking forward to a change maybe it will re enforce why we come to Tenerife or maybe it will open our eyes to great new destination for us to visit:)

junglejim
13-05-2013, 07:24
Just don't see you doing the beach parties with the Toga and Minotaur's Head AJ - but you never know , a little Retsina or Ouzo might loosen you out !

Angusjim
13-05-2013, 07:34
Just don't see you doing the beach parties with the Toga and Minotaur's Head AJ - but you never know , a little Retsina or Ouzo might loosen you out !

I will have trial run doon at Montrose beach before the Harr comes in :laugh:

junglejim
13-05-2013, 07:49
Judging by the crap my old company GSK pumps into the sea at Montrose , there's probably a few Minotaur creatures down there already !
Can just imagine you with the Bull's Head and best linen sheet , coming through the Foggy Dew!

LUCKY
13-05-2013, 14:02
:feret:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g189413-Crete-Vacations.html

Addick
13-05-2013, 14:18
Hope Crete is a good choice of destination for you - I've had my arm twisted into going there (Stavros, at the other end of the island) for the first time instead of Tenerife in September. It was there or Skiathos and I didn't like the idea of having to refuel the plane on the way home.

Ed3229
13-05-2013, 17:17
Had word with daughter Angusjim she recommends http://www.explorecrete.com/ and visit Knossos and
Spinalonga. Buses she thinks run every 45 min from your resort..

ED

Addick
15-05-2013, 14:19
Isn't it always the way - you decide to go somewhere and the next day Sky News has a story like this (http://news.sky.com/story/1091206/russian-boy-11-stabbed-on-holiday-in-crete) on it's home page.

Bit like when you buy a new car and see nothing but them for ages after.:)

Margaretta
23-05-2013, 01:43
Stayed in Rethymnon.....all you could want but there is a 'basicness' even in a good hotel e.g. the odd cockroach, failing air conditioning etc. The beaches are wonderful. It's alarmingly hot. Was severely bitten in the mountains...i.e. on a night trip to a Cretan restaurant with dancing (not mini-Zorbas but mosquitos!) I had to be treated in hospital on my return. Loved driving there....very green island despite the heat !Friendly people, interesting souvenirs and great fish food. A trip to Knossos is a 'must'. Wish I had been to Spinalonga as I've recently read a book about it. Hope to go again in a cooler period.

cheery
23-05-2013, 16:11
Been to Crete twice and loved it. Last time was at Elounda not too far from Sissi, and it it's a fair drive from the airport. My tip would be pay for a private transfer. We loved it so much we were going to retire there, the only drawback was the heat as mentioned. After talking to my mate who has lived in Tenerfie since 1990 and he explained that the climate was great and temperature is between 20c and 30c year round excluding La Calima, we decided we would change our plans and retire to Tenerife.

Angusjim
02-06-2013, 08:27
Continuing to read up about Crete and mozzies could be an issue when I have been bitten in the past I found my reaction was not great very large very itchy red blotches but I have been told to buy a thing called ZAP IT which stops the itching and reduces the swelling anyone used this ? http://www.zapit.eu/

Susief
02-06-2013, 08:51
Continuing to read up about Crete and mozzies could be an issue when I have been bitten in the past I found my reaction was not great very large very itchy red blotches but I have been told to buy a thing called ZAP IT which stops the itching and reduces the swelling anyone used this ? http://www.zapit.eu/

AJ take anti-histamines ( Piriton or similar) for about 2 weeks before you go and whilst you are there. If you do get bitten then you don't get same reaction! Hubby used to get bitten all the time in Tenerife and they used to go nasty and blistery! Not had a problem now for over 2 years.

junglejim
02-06-2013, 08:57
AJ just take a couple of Abroath Smokies with you and leave them outside your room window ,thatīll disuade the Mozzies! - itīll also keep the flies off your beer and Forfar Bridies !

dantemoo
02-06-2013, 13:33
hey ...i was in sissi a few years ago , very quiet , harbourside pubs not too bad ..40 mins from the airport and very hot !!! hope you enjoy your holiday ..

Peterrayner
02-06-2013, 14:08
glad to see the clampdown is finally working

cheers

x

Yea great init..... you`re welcome

Angusjim
04-06-2013, 14:38
Does anyone know anything about the " happy train" cannot find much info about it but have seen it mentioned. Seems there is one that goes around locally and there is mention of one that goes from Sissi to Milatos for about a 3 hour trip :tiphat:

junglejim
04-06-2013, 15:22
FFS AJ! A happy train ! Youīre takinīthat too far now!
:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189416-d2306497-r118926774-Happy_Train-Elounda_Lassithi_Prefecture_Crete.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McpwSHG3kAI

Angusjim
06-09-2013, 10:13
Well just back from Sissi and have to say very nice place for a relaxing holiday but it was a bit tooooo hot for us coolest day was 40degs but we will return again later or earlier in the season when hopefully it will be a bit cooler:wave:

Addick
06-09-2013, 14:48
Well just back from Sissi and have to say very nice place for a relaxing holiday but it was a bit tooooo hot for us coolest day was 40degs but we will return again later or earlier in the season when hopefully it will be a bit cooler:wave:

Good to hear you enjoyed it enough to want to return, 11 days and counting until we'll be on the island - though tbh I'd sooner be going back to Tenerife :)

I think we're staying close enough to Chania airport to benefit from the downdraft of the planes as they take off and land to keep the heat down! :airplane::airplane::airplane:

:shark:

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2013, 14:53
AJ just take a couple of Abroath Smokies with you and leave them outside your room window ,thatīll disuade the Mozzies! - itīll also keep the flies off your beer and Forfar Bridies !

What's that - not rude is it ?:cheeky:

Angusjim

Angusjim
06-09-2013, 14:55
Good to hear you enjoyed it enough to want to return, 11 days and counting until we'll be on the island - though tbh I'd sooner be going back to Tenerife :)

I think we're staying close enough to Chania airport to benefit from the downdraft of the planes as they take off and land to keep the heat down! :airplane::airplane::airplane:

:shark:

We were very pleasantly surprised with the tiny bit of Crete that is Sissi and hope you also enjoy your time in Crete, I hope Chania airport is a bit better organised than Heraklion it was a bit disorganised to say the least:wave: