PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Campaign to get cars over 7 years old off the roads in Tenerife

golf birdie
17-05-2013, 10:12
had to smile at the story on the front page of the Canarian weekly today. They want to get cars over 7 years old off the roads due to safety. Tenerife would become a car free island :laugh:

TenerifeTeddy
17-05-2013, 13:08
Have they totally lost the plot or what!. To say a car over 7 years old is not safe is utter nonsense if it is maintained properly. How are people supposed to buy new cars in the middle of the biggest recession in their history, and how will those who lose their cars get to work, which will make the situation even worse. Unbelievable.

I have an 8 year old Berlingo that has done 80,500kms, it is regularly maintained, and perfectly safe, yet under these rules I could be forced to buy a newer car. They are crazy.

Malteser Monkey
17-05-2013, 13:26
wasn't there a thread on that ?

golf birdie
17-05-2013, 13:56
wasn't there a thread on that ?

if you are talking about the tyres, yes:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
17-05-2013, 14:02
if you are talking about the tyres, yes:laugh:

you must be Irish - pronounce the H :laugh:

honda
17-05-2013, 14:17
Purchased a seven year old seat ibiza yesterday. Full ITV and full service by qualified machanics. Decent little car...... Is it safe to drive on the roads...... Best not type what I'm thinking, would be banned from the forum.
Maybe they should be looking at the state of some of the roads we have to drive our old cars on, they may find something of danger then.:smack:

TF1
17-05-2013, 15:54
Rubbish coming from the Canarian Weekly once again. This is only a proposal by the DGT, and does not include banning older vehicles. It is very unlikely to get passed as a law because if such a BOE were to be published it would get blocked by the car mechanic associations, ITV companies who have paid millions to the government for 10 year franchises, etc. And in any case the PP probably won't be in power in 2016, and won't risk trying to pass a law in 2015, which is election year.
At the most this will result in a few more tests within the ITV, something which happens just about every year.

Tdm
17-05-2013, 21:02
Oh Dear,
My 35 year old "Old Banger" (pictured below) might have to go then?.
Perhaps I should put it in a Museum.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/Tdmak/Car%20Photos/CIMG2545.jpg

deepdivejunkie
17-05-2013, 21:13
Oh Dear,
My 35 year old "Old Banger" (pictured below) might have to go then?.
Perhaps I should put it in a Museum.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/Tdmak/Car%20Photos/CIMG2545.jpg

I'd say your car is in better condition than a lot of old cars on the road. A blow for old car enthusiasts.
Fantastic car btw :-)

Tdm
17-05-2013, 21:37
I'd say your car is in better condition than a lot of old cars on the road. A blow for old car enthusiasts.
Fantastic car btw :-)

If it has to go I think I would like to emulate what Thelma and Louise did with their Classic Thunderbird at the end of the Film, and (when the time comes for me to finally lay my head to rest), take my Stag up Mount Teide and drive it over a cliff there into the "Wild Blue Yonder". Can't think of a better way for both of us to go.

Andy0210
18-05-2013, 03:50
If it has to go I think I would like to emulate what Thelma and Louise did with their Classic Thunderbird at the end of the Film, and (when the time comes for me to finally lay my head to rest), take my Stag up Mount Teide and drive it over a cliff there into the "Wild Blue Yonder". Can't think of a better way for both of us to go.

You will be fine your car is registered as a classic as it is a "H" reg, the above rules donīt apply to classic cars that are properly matriculated, classic cars as yours is have to pass a lot less stringent ITV test. :)

TF1
18-05-2013, 10:29
I'd feel a lot safer in an 8 year old Volvo than a new Chinese import.

Ashro Autos
18-05-2013, 18:31
We get around lots of main dealers collecting parts and i dont think i have seen many cars over 7 years old in there workshops ,what does that tell you ? Older cars breakdown less due to lack of stupid gadgets fitted to newer cars ie Parking assist (cant park dont drive ) Brake assist in emergencies (Dont drive so fast and close ) Card keys mmmmmmm now theres a good 1 for you Renault owners who have had to wait weeks for replacement keys.Can remember years ago when there used to be less than 10 wires under most bonnets now its more like 70.If car companies were to spend as much on driver training instead of all the crap that a proper driver doesnt need there would be a lot less accidents.

Another point why do cars get 4 year itv from new and 6 year old cars 2 years until they are 10 ? Over 10 its yearly unless you own a car derived van then its 6 months unless you change your paperwork to say you are not going to car anything in your boot.

So own up how many people have had problems with newer cars ? Mods any chance of a poll on this 1 please ?

Tojack
18-05-2013, 20:21
10 wires that sound's like my old Rover v 8 including HT leads.:lol: