PDA

View Full Version : How do I watch films on TV via my laptop?

Red Devil
21-05-2013, 15:07
Advice required please ..... I have bought a tv series on itunes that I want to watch through my new smart tv. So do I just download onto my laptop and then connect via scart? Will there be buffering?
I have ipad also but if I download series onto that it makes it complicated to watch on tv unless its Apple tv, so I've heard.
Thanks

delderek
21-05-2013, 16:08
You would need to connect via HDMI, not Scart. Your laptop wouldn't have a Scart outlet anyway. Or if you have a wifi router, you could play via this to your Smart TV, without any wires. (Although knowing Apple it may not be that easy)

Red Devil
21-05-2013, 17:01
Thanks Del, sorry meant to say my laptop isnt a mac so thought it would be more straightforward doing it through that rather than involving the ipad.
Dont know how to play it via router to tv :o

junglejim
21-05-2013, 17:46
If itīs a smart TV , you could load films onto a USB stick and plug it into your TV ? I do this with my downloads as my TV has a USB slot - my PVR needs the stick formatted in FAT32 though to do the same .

delderek
21-05-2013, 18:35
Thanks Del, sorry meant to say my laptop isnt a mac so thought it would be more straightforward doing it through that rather than involving the ipad.
Dont know how to play it via router to tv :o

Your PC will have "Windows Media Player" Set this up to "Share". Your Smart TV should see this if you set it to join your network. Choose Video on your smart TV, and it will play all video files that it finds on your pc

Red Devil
21-05-2013, 19:55
Thanks very much to both of you, both good ideas for me to try.

UKmember
25-05-2013, 13:06
You can do this via a VGA cable, you will normally have a port in the back of the Laptop like this.

and then connect it to the TV, being a smart TV it may have this VGA port, some TV don't.

delderek
25-05-2013, 13:40
You can do this via a VGA cable, you will normally have a port in the back of the Laptop like this.

and then connect it to the TV, being a smart TV it may have this VGA port, some TV don't.

True, but you won't get any sound, VGA doesn't carry audio. You also can't show HD. Most modern laptops will have HDMI outlet, which does both. But easiest way is via your wifi.