PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Does anyone have information about the PIVE scheme for scrapping old cars?

Foz
24-05-2013, 14:13
I read somewhere a while ago about a government scheme aimed at removing old cars off the road. I seem to remember as long as you were buying a newer more energy efficient model, the government would pay you to "hand in" your old one. Does anyone know where I can find out more about this scheme?

KirstyJay
24-05-2013, 14:39
The scheme is called 'PIVE'. You can google it for loads of info :) I believe you car has to be 8 years old or over.

Foz
24-05-2013, 14:43
Ok thanks Kirsty ... I'll see what I can find out x

kiwiphil
24-05-2013, 15:21
And UK plated cars do not qualify ...

Foz
24-05-2013, 15:41
Thanks Phil ... I'm trying to find out whether you need to register an old car for this scheme at the moment that you place your order for a new car ... or whether you can do it at a later date, after ordering the new car but before receiving it.

lesbroz
24-05-2013, 20:17
We used PIVE last October. The car had to be more than 12 years old and I believe you were guaranteed 2,000 Euros against a new car. The old car needs to be declared at the time of purchasing the new (but you don't hand the old car over until the day you receive your new one.)

bonitatime
24-05-2013, 20:53
We are now onto PIME as the other money ran out but it is much the same.

timmylish
25-05-2013, 02:21
And I understand that the car must be 10 years old.

Foz
25-05-2013, 09:55
We used PIVE last October. The car had to be more than 12 years old and I believe you were guaranteed 2,000 Euros against a new car. The old car needs to be declared at the time of purchasing the new (but you don't hand the old car over until the day you receive your new one.)

Just to clarify ..... we ordered and paid a deposit on a new car at the beginning of April ..... but do not pay the balance till the beginning of July. Can we register for the scheme now or are we too late?

golf birdie
25-05-2013, 10:26
Just to clarify ..... we ordered and paid a deposit on a new car at the beginning of April ..... but do not pay the balance till the beginning of July. Can we register for the scheme now or are we too late?

I think you have to tell them at the time of purchase you wish to trade in your old car and they price the new one based on this. IMO you are too late.

This is what I found when looking for a new car over the past few weeks;

The car has to be at least 10 years old.

Different companies give different amounts depending on the car you are buying and this depends on what other discounts they have on offer at the time.

I wanted to buy a Ford but when they told me it would cost an extra 1k because I did not want their finance and wished to pay in full I walked out :confused:

Some really bad showrooms and staff out there, I asked to test drive at Hyundi and left my number for them to call me, still waiting 6 weeks after. They all must be minted:laugh:

Foz
25-05-2013, 10:35
We found the same when we were looking Golf .... few of the showrooms seem to be falling over themselves to sell you anything!

golf birdie
25-05-2013, 10:56
We found the same when we were looking Golf .... few of the showrooms seem to be falling over themselves to sell you anything!

plus I found if you price the same car at two different showrooms the price can vary. On one car it was 900 euros different for the exact same car.

lesbroz
25-05-2013, 16:15

Foz - I think you are probably too late if you have signed all the paperwork, but surely it must be worth
having a word with the garage.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I think you have to tell them at the time of purchase you wish to trade in your old car and they price the new one based on this. IMO you are too late.

This is what I found when looking for a new car over the past few weeks;

The car has to be at least 10 years old.

Different companies give different amounts depending on the car you are buying and this depends on what other discounts they have on offer at the time.

I wanted to buy a Ford but when they told me it would cost an extra 1k because I did not want their finance and wished to pay in full I walked out :confused:

Some really bad showrooms and staff out there, I asked to test drive at Hyundi and left my number for them to call me, still waiting 6 weeks after. They all must be minted:laugh:

Have to say the only dealers we came across who were vaguely interested in selling you a car were - Opel, Toyota and Kia. When visiting other showrooms, we might as well have been invisible

Foz
25-05-2013, 16:24
If I could get a definitive answer from them I wouldn't be troubling the forum!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone here has been very helpful .... I feel I know where I stand now x