PDA

View Full Version : Other Is there much mugging in Las Americas and Adeje?

natashap
25-05-2013, 10:35
Hi all, I'm due to fly out to Tenerife in roughly 3weeks time and just wondered what the mugging rates are like in Adeje and Americas?

Heffalumpy
25-05-2013, 14:08
Are you only interested in mugging!, may be some stats on deaths or drunken fighting might appeal!!

Honestly if you are worried about mugging dont leave home!

Unless you are asking about the best place to get mugged, there are plenty in the UK, I can point you towards, save you a trip?

Either way this post indicates that there may be a problem with violence on this Island, maybe there is, if there is. :confused:

Would like to know if you pose this question to every destination you go to?!!

YOUNG GOLFER
25-05-2013, 16:35
Hi all, I'm due to fly out to Tenerife in roughly 3weeks time and just wondered what the mugging rates are like in Adeje and Americas?

I am sure with a little common sense you will be fine.....noticed you are from the same city as me Exeter which I would say is a safe enough place or I thought so.....I was staying in a hotel next to the cathedra a few weeks agol which is a very nice area but around 9pm one lad very drunk was abusive to a young security lady who told him to leave the bar next door.It got that bad she called the police but the police took a long time to turn up so I asked him nicely to leave her alone to which both him and his mate attacked me.So it just goes to show in every town ,city or country you will find some idiots. Tenerife is no different just make sure you use you common sense and you will be fine. Have a good holiday and please let us know how it went.

julia44
25-05-2013, 16:45
That is terrible Young Golfer are you OK

slodgedad
25-05-2013, 18:19
That is terrible Young Golfer are you OK

I would've thought so. I wouldn't tackle him sober, let alone drunk.

AL JAY
25-05-2013, 18:22
I would've thought so. I wouldn't tackle him sober, let alone drunk.

Last time i was over he told me he has a Blackbelt in Origami :bowdown::D

carpenter
25-05-2013, 18:47

The Spanish charge for pretty much everything but I don't think even they have a fee for mugging!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

On a serious note, everywhere has it's problems. Crime,drugs, prostitution! It all happens everywhere.
Tenerife south doesn't have any "No Go Areas" as such but there are a lot of pickpockets and muggings in the Veronicas area.

When i was working on the film a camera tech guy got beaten up so badly in Veronicas he needed a plate on his skull and his sister was flown over from the UK the next day to care for him and oversee his discharge from hospital, other friends of mine have also been relieved of their wallets.
But it's no different from anywhere else, drink and have a good time and stay in populated areas. Only use official transport and don't leave anything to chance. Prevention is better than the cure and the Tenerife police are useless. All of them, the Guardia,the National,the Local and the protection Civil all useless blooming useless and to be fair that's an insult to the word useless

natashap
25-05-2013, 20:02
No I don't but whilst reading reviews on our hotel there seems to be a few people that mention it... So i just thought id see if its a big issue in these areas. Its a pretty straight forward question to ask but if you cant answer without being sarcastic then don't both at all!!!

I am sure with a little common sense you will be fine.....noticed you are from the same city as me Exeter which I would say is a safe enough place or I thought so.....I was staying in a hotel next to the cathedra a few weeks agol which is a very nice area but around 9pm one lad very drunk was abusive to a young security lady who told him to leave the bar next door.It got that bad she called the police but the police took a long time to turn up so I asked him nicely to leave her alone to which both him and his mate attacked me.So it just goes to show in every town ,city or country you will find some idiots. Tenerife is no different just make sure you use you common sense and you will be fine. Have a good holiday and please let us know how it went.

Sorry to hear about that Young Golfer, I haven't experienced it but it certainly does happen. Exeter is a lovely city and I would say Its a pretty safe place although when out I do have my whit's about me just in case. I only asked this question as I have seen posts on other sites, comments on hotel reviews and also a statement that had been made by the local authorities about this issue. So I was curious to know if it was still of a high crime rate(as we would say in the UK)

AL JAY
25-05-2013, 20:17
Which Hotel/Area are you staying in?

natashap
25-05-2013, 20:22
Luabay in Adeje.

marbro8
25-05-2013, 20:36
we have just come back this afternoon, and we didn't hear of any muggings, the only thing we where warned about was pickpockets down the hill walking from el mirador strip towards the arona gran, but we walked it most nights without any problems, all you have to remember is only take out with you what you intend to spend,in our case it was about €60, and spread it about, €10 in one pocket €10 in another and get your hubby to carry some as well, just be weary because if they are going to pick your pocket then they are going to have to get close, so don't let any one get close to you even if they seem jovial, or ask you to show them directions on a map which is another ploy, just be mindful as you would anywhere in the world and you will be fine;)

Andy0210
25-05-2013, 21:04

Yes there is a problem with muggings and pickpockets at the moment, it said on the radio this week that there have been four times more reported crimes at this time this year than this time last year, you can help yourself though by not carrying a bag, only take out the money you need for that day rather than all of it and generally being aware of whats going on around you, avoid unlit alleyways at night and be careful at all times, do all this and you should be fine.

natashap
25-05-2013, 21:21
Thanks both of you!.. We will only carry a limited amount of euros with us. I'll be keeping money in my bra during the evenings as I think the other half wants to enjoy a few nights out. Maybe im just worrying a little as I haven't been abroad but finger crossed things will be great.

AL JAY
25-05-2013, 21:54
Luabay in Adeje.

As a few others have said,just keep your wits about you and especially at night give a wide berth to anyone offering you "flyers" and trying to put their arms around you! The Luabay is the former Esmerelda! Go and enjoy your holiday, i have never had a problem in the 25 years i have been going!

YOUNG GOLFER
25-05-2013, 22:09
Thanks both of you!.. We will only carry a limited amount of euros with us. I'll be keeping money in my bra during the evenings as I think the other half wants to enjoy a few nights out. Maybe im just worrying a little as I haven't been abroad but finger crossed things will be great.
Well my office is about 500 yards from this hotel ........... It is opposite the hotel La Niña in my link is my business name, why not pop into my office and I will give you some advice on how to stay safe ...........best places to eat and do your shopping etc.
Your choice of hotel is a good one and I am sure you will have a good holiday.

imablue
25-05-2013, 22:09
The Luabay is in Torviscas and a nice area it is too. As with anywhere in the world the chancers can just pop up at any time. Enjoy your time here...but be sensible about where you go and what you do ....

willowlily
25-05-2013, 22:48

you will have a lovely holiday in tenerife, i have spent the winters in tenerife for 11 years.
i like to walk alone in the cool of the evening but never carry a handbag, and have always kept to areas where there are plenty of people and lighting its really the same rules as any place.

natashap
25-05-2013, 22:49
Thank you all :)
Yes I might keep you to that Young Golfer, thanks :)

slodgedad
26-05-2013, 00:26
There are muggers everywhere in the world but I can honestly tell you that after living here for nearly 20 years I feel a lot safer here than I ever feel when I visit the UK.

My only advice is to behave and act as if you were anywhere away from your local area, wherever you find yourself.

If you're a flash Harry you're just as likely to get mugged in the next village.

seanocelt
26-05-2013, 02:01
As many on here know i helped a robbery victim of late; i want to underline; pickpocketing is rife same as elsewhere. Mugging though, , is rare. You said yourself about being sensible with what you carry, that will help, loads.

Chivas Regal
29-05-2013, 11:06
Are you only interested in mugging!, may be some stats on deaths or drunken fighting might appeal!!

Honestly if you are worried about mugging dont leave home!

Unless you are asking about the best place to get mugged, there are plenty in the UK, I can point you towards, save you a trip?

Either way this post indicates that there may be a problem with violence on this Island, maybe there is, if there is. :confused:

Would like to know if you pose this question to every destination you go to?!!

I logged in to this site the other day and it said at the top, 'you haven't posted in a while, we are a friendly bunch and we don't bite'

Obviously the question has been asked because there have been a lot of reports lately about people getting robbed/mugged. The poster has read through reviews and read about muggings etc and just posted a question! Even on this site there are plenty of posts about robberies! The Original poster was just looking for some reassurances!
Your response obviously helped loads!!!

Yes there's mugging in the uk but rarely will anyone in the uk go out 14 days in a row in a touristy place!

Plus I'm hoping that after all the muggings Magaluf had last year that at the end of Magalufs season they went to Tenerife and will probably be back to Magaluf any time now as there season is up and running again!

Yes you have to have your wits about you but I think it was a fair question!
Anyway, on with the not biting and being nice!!!

Peter j
22-08-2013, 14:07
Last night I got my phone robbed near the Dinastia apartment
Young guy early 20's came up talking about football showing how they celebrate a goal i knew at that point he were after something, next thing he's in back pocket
Chased him down to buddies / the swan but lost sight
Apparently he's well known but police can't touch him if the crime is under €400?

offshore diver
22-08-2013, 15:55

about 13 years ago myself and another diver ( ex uk marine ) on our 31u inspection course in middlesbrough we were in a pub ,2 guys got abusive ,we helped the bar manageress throw them out ,i think tenerife is safer than the uk generally

TOPGUN77
22-08-2013, 17:50
I now live in Tenerife and feel a lot safer than the UK been coming here for over 15 years or so and never encountered any violence,if there is its bound to be the Brits what cause it.When going out we only take what we intend to spend.

blondie
23-08-2013, 15:45
I am too much of a lady to reply the way I would like to that comment !!!!!!

marbro8
23-08-2013, 16:11
I now live in Tenerife and feel a lot safer than the UK been coming here for over 15 years or so and never encountered any violence,if there is its bound to be the Brits what cause it.When going out we only take what we intend to spend.and i have been coming to tenerife for about 8 years now and never seen any brits causing trouble??? a few drunk and annoying, last time i heard of any trouble it was mainly romanian pickpockets or morrocon bag snatchers

Angusjim
23-08-2013, 17:00
and i have been coming to tenerife for about 8 years now and never seen any brits causing trouble??? a few drunk and annoying, last time i heard of any trouble it was mainly romanian pickpockets or morrocon bag snatchers

I dont think Ecky & Carol deserve that:laugh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
23-08-2013, 17:26
I dont think Ecky & Carol deserve that:laugh::laugh:

Brits ??

I don't think Ecky and Carol deserve that:scotland:

:laugh:

LUCKY
23-08-2013, 18:11
and i have been coming to tenerife for about 8 years now and never seen any brits causing trouble??? a few drunk and annoying, last time i heard of any trouble it was mainly romanian pickpockets or morrocon bag snatchers

Is it possible please that you could bring me up to speed on this particular thread, to save me reading it and please please could you bring me up to speed on another thread which i have never ventured to and dare not.That thread is http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?23-The-Tenerife-illegal-lettings-thread
thank you :flatcap:

marbro8
23-08-2013, 18:28
Brits ??

I don't think Ecky and Carol deserve that:scotland:

:laugh:believe it or not MM after spending a bit of their married life in england they are very proud british scots;)

I dont think Ecky & Carol deserve that:laugh::laugh::laugh:carol just takes it out on the local flagstones when she has had a few, by headbutting them:respect:

Malteser Monkey
23-08-2013, 20:01
Is it possible please that you could bring me up to speed on this particular thread, to save me reading it and please please could you bring me up to speed on another thread which i have never ventured to and dare not.That thread is http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?23-The-Tenerife-illegal-lettings-thread
thank you :flatcap:

No it's Friday better things to do on Friday pm 9PLUS please:cheeky:

junglejim
09-02-2014, 10:48
In the last 2 weeks I have spoken to 2 lots of guys who have been down Veronicas way late on and been mugged for their phone, money etc by what appears tobe a Romanian or Moroccan gang . One guys phone had 58 quid´s worth of calls before it was stopped !
Nothing unusual there we might say but the shocking thing seems tobe that one of the guys reported it to Policewho were asking for €50 payment for an incident report! Is this the case now you have to pay this?
Being mugged by Police is surely a crime too ?

golf birdie
09-02-2014, 10:55
In the last 2 weeks I have spoken to 2 lots of guys who have been down Veronicas way late on and been mugged for their phone, money etc by what appears tobe a Romanian or Moroccan gang . One guys phone had 58 quid´s worth of calls before it was stopped !
Nothing unusual there we might say but the shocking thing seems tobe that one of the guys reported it to Policewho were asking for €50 payment for an incident report! Is this the case now you have to pay this?
Being mugged by Police is surely a crime too ?

to be honest with you, this year I am hearing from far less people who have been robbed. Last year it seemed like everyday someone was telling me they had been robbed/mugged. Touch wood, maybe the police are clamping down.

Angusjim
09-02-2014, 11:00
to be honest with you, this year I am hearing from far less people who have been robbed. Last year it seemed like everyday someone was telling me they had been robbed/mugged. Touch wood, maybe the police are clamping down.

Well if they are asking for 50euros for incident reports then they will have more incentive to clamp down:dontknow:

golf birdie
09-02-2014, 11:16
Well if they are asking for 50euros for incident reports then they will have more incentive to clamp down:dontknow:

the only complaint I have heard about the police is from a couple who went to the station and were sent away and told to report it by phone. Silly as what is the point in having the station?

junglejim
09-02-2014, 11:27
the only complaint I have heard about the police is from a couple who went to the station and were sent away and told to report it by phone. Silly as what is the point in having the station?

The use of the phone is ok as you speak to someone proficient in English , you then get a reference number and turn up at police station to read your statement (In Spanish!) and then get a copy and crime number - the issue is when did we start having to pay €50 ?

golf birdie
09-02-2014, 11:43
The use of the phone is ok as you speak to someone proficient in English , you then get a reference number and turn up at police station to read your statement (In Spanish!) and then get a copy and crime number - the issue is when did we start having to pay €50 ?

They could speak Spanish so that was no problem. Just strange how they won't let you report a crime at the station.

marbro8
09-02-2014, 11:58
They could speak Spanish so that was no problem. Just strange how they won't let you report a crime at the station.if they are anything like the one's here in the uk then they are probably un staffed :( they built a station about 2 miles away from where we live at a cost of hundreds of thousands and then realised they couldn't afford to staff, it so it sits empty:(

Ecky Thump
09-02-2014, 12:42

The only time I've been met with any aggression or trouble in Tenerife (discounting the wife!) was two years ago from a English girl who was sleeping rough near the Irish Times and she was begging for money and I refused, she then became verbally aggressive, which is something that I can ignore, but it was upsetting for the grandchildren to witness.