PDA

View Full Version : Other Beware of the hard-selling tactics of the lookie-lookie women in Las Americas

marbro8
25-05-2013, 21:02
just to warn holidaymakers of a new scam that is doing the rounds outside the safari centre in las americas, the looky looky woman are coming up to you very friendly giving you high 5's asking your name and telling you how much they like you whilst tying cheap cotton bangles on your wrist and in your hair, and then demanding money from you:(, and if you do not give them anything they curse you whilst spitting on the floor in discust:(, it may be something they have been doing for a while but it was a new experience for us, they really do take you in so it is difficult to get away from them unless you are rude to them which is not in my nature, i ended up giving them about €3 but they wasn't happy:(

YOUNG GOLFER
25-05-2013, 22:17
Not heard of this one before mate.....but talking in Spanish works.....or if you get loads of abuse then threaten to called the police.
Thanks for the warning to others.

marbro8
25-05-2013, 22:38
Not heard of this one before mate.....but talking in Spanish works.....or if you get loads of abuse then threaten to called the police.
Thanks for the warning to others.you are welcome;) after being suckered in earlier on in the day i actually sat outside and watched who they targeted, it was just where the corner bar is and you have to walk across from the one part of the safari centre to the other, and they even accosted spaniards, but from what i could pick up from the conversation they where from madrid, but they refused to give them anything:laugh:

woolli
25-05-2013, 23:12
Terrible Marbs, make sure you dont give them your details!

marbro8
25-05-2013, 23:15
Terrible Marbs, make sure you dont give them your details!i won't don't worry, i even managed to walk the gauntlet of silverpoint reps this afternoon without giving those my details either:laugh: much to their annoyance;)

woolli
25-05-2013, 23:23
i won't don't worry, i even managed to walk the gauntlet of silverpoint reps this afternoon without giving those my details either:laugh: much to their annoyance;)
This afternoon? No British flights from 1.00pm until 6.00pm? Did you mean late afternoon!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

This afternoon? no British flights from 1.00pm until 7.00pm? Marbs, you must have been on the Brummie flight around 12.30pm. Correct? We will get to meet!

marbro8
25-05-2013, 23:43
This afternoon? No British flights from 1.00pm until 6.00pm? Did you mean late afternoon!

This afternoon? no British flights from 1.00pm until 7.00pm? Marbs, you must have been on the Brummie flight around 12.30pm. Correct? We will get to meet!ha ha came out on the 11.50 am ryanair flight to brumigam;)

junglejim
26-05-2013, 07:02
Saw them trying this out on a couple with a little girl next to Veronicas / Papaguyo but the mother just pushed her away immediately ! Tried to put the band on the kidīs arm but mother was too smart for her!

marbro8
26-05-2013, 10:40
Saw them trying this out on a couple with a little girl next to Veronicas / Papaguyo but the mother just pushed her away immediately ! Tried to put the band on the kidīs arm but mother was too smart for her!that's the trick, to just be mindful, and if they do catch you quickly then just pretend you have no money on you, the gypsy's in blackpool used to use the same tactic years ago by pining so called lucky heather on you then demanding money, and if you refused they would curse you, people were to afraid not to pay:(

Tenerife Babe
30-05-2013, 13:38
Thanks for the heads up Marbo.

I know the exact ones that you have said about,they are always there.I have learnt now to not make eye contact with them and if they shout after you just keep walking. I know that to some people it might be looked on as rude but I`d rather do that than get abused.

Bradybunch
30-05-2013, 14:02

I know the exact ones that you have said about,they are always there.I have learnt now to not make eye contact with them and if they shout after you just keep walking. I know that to some people it might be looked on as rude but I`d rather do that than get abused.

They were doing this 3 years ago at christmas when we came over we were there in May and they didnt try it then but we were aware of it then. Its the same ones waiting there all the time.

marbro8
30-05-2013, 16:06

I know the exact ones that you have said about,they are always there.I have learnt now to not make eye contact with them and if they shout after you just keep walking. I know that to some people it might be looked on as rude but I`d rather do that than get abused.totally agree good for you:wink2:

chifleta
30-05-2013, 22:32
I'm just wondering if all these people, touters, scammers, hair ladies, timmy sharry (as other half calls the timeshare peeps) all just ignore me because they can tell i've got gypsy blood and would give them the evil eye :poke::witch3: or maybe it's because my hubby (ohhh don't that sound nice :stroke: ) is built like a brick out-house/personal minder and usually gives a pretty evil look nearly always without realising (you should see some of our wedding photos LOL)...

But seriously, I look them straight in the eye always, head held high, show no fear, giving off the "don't stand within 1 metre of my personal space" type of vibe ... problem is i've normally got sunglasses on :cool::sunburn:

irishmusico
04-06-2013, 15:25
I find that if you stagger down the street singing at the top of your voice,your favourite football song,while necking back a liter bottle of Dorada,in between vomiting all over the place,they tend to leave you alone. Well it worked for me anyway. :)

essexeddie
04-06-2013, 16:42
Cant see the problem myself. If anything was planted on me I'd just throw it on the floor and carry on walking, and tell them to P*ss off!

trevorife2
04-06-2013, 16:53
Ive bought loads ... They said they will be worth a fortune in the future ??

marbro8
04-06-2013, 18:17
Cant see the problem myself. If anything was planted on me I'd just throw it on the floor and carry on walking, and tell them to P*ss off!

.that's great if you have it in you to be like that, i wish i could be that ruthless but unless someone really p's me off i can't be:(, but when someone does then i go totally over the top:dontknow:

Myra
04-06-2013, 18:50
These women were operating in Fanabe, they put one on my wrist, and chanted something, then asked me for some money, when I said I had none on me, they were quite offensive, and snatched it back off me, and chanted a few more words, told me to come back when I had some money on me.

essexeddie
04-06-2013, 18:53
These women were operating in Fanabe, they put one on my wrist, and chanted something, then asked me for some money, when I said I had none on me, they were quite offensive, and snatched it back off me, and chanted a few more words, told me to come back when I had some money on me.

Sorry, I wouldn't put up with that. Bl**dy cheek.

marbro8
04-06-2013, 18:54
These women were operating in Fanabe, they put one on my wrist, and chanted something, then asked me for some money, when I said I had none on me, they were quite offensive, and snatched it back off me, and chanted a few more words, told me to come back when I had some money on me.you just don't need it when you are trying to relax and enjoy something that you have saved for and looked forward to for months do ya?:(

Sorry, I wouldn't put up with that. Bl**dy cheek.

.what's the alternative though eddie? my brother in law had a right go at a looky looky guy outside veronicas last year and before we knew it there where about 8 of them round us, chastising us and threatening us, in the end he had to say sorry to the guy he had offended before they parted to let us thru, we would probably be ok if there where about 20-30 big lads all away together, then you may stand a chance but it could end up being a riot, so where could you draw a line:dontknow:

essexeddie
04-06-2013, 19:01
I personally don't find it a problem, they don't bother me too much, I just ignore them

natashap
13-06-2013, 10:48
just to warn holidaymakers of a new scam that is doing the rounds outside the safari centre in las americas, the looky looky woman are coming up to you very friendly giving you high 5's asking your name and telling you how much they like you whilst tying cheap cotton bangles on your wrist and in your hair, and then demanding money from you:(, and if you do not give them anything they curse you whilst spitting on the floor in discust:(, it may be something they have been doing for a while but it was a new experience for us, they really do take you in so it is difficult to get away from them unless you are rude to them which is not in my nature, i ended up giving them about €3 but they wasn't happy:(

Thanks for the heads up Marbro. So glad I'll have my other half with me else they would make a fortune of me alone! I haven't got in me to be rude either.