PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes in various guises on UK, American and Russian TV !

timmylish
27-05-2013, 00:21
In the last year or so I,ve thoroughly enjoyed watching the various presentations of Sherlock Holmes. The older version on the ITV catchup giving the older UK one, the more recent UK one giving a present day statement, CBS showing the entirely differing presentation of Holmes and Watson and of course the very first TV presentation ever made and then translated into Russian. Some will say that the UK ITV one is dated and, yes it is but, it has its own charm. I find the BBC one cracking and so fast you have to be really attentive to ensure nothing is missed. The American one is entirely different and whilst some will say its so far removed from the originals to be pointless but, I cannot agree. I think it excellent and I,ve just watched the most recent episodes screened on US TV which almost made me drop my Coke and Ice with the latest revelation! The really old versions being shown on Russian telly is very, very popular and its easy to see why.
Four differing versions of the same Conan Doyle writings which I really enjoy. Hope perhaps a few others do also?

marbro8
27-05-2013, 16:14
i must admit i hated the one's with jeremy brett as sherlock, i refused to watch them, my all time favorite versions are with basil rathbone and nigel bruce, his comic almost puppy dog sulks had me in stitches, my favorite film version of hound of the baskervilles was the one with peter cushing and cristopher lee, two of my all time favorite actors, i also like the new version with benerdict cumberbach and martin freeman

timmylish
27-05-2013, 16:32
Have you seen the American slant with Watson being a woman? It is most enjoyable but with a different look at Sherlock amongst to-day,s American society.drugs etc etc. I havn,t become immersed in the film versions tbh but the Russians thoroughly enjoy full length films with all the differing actors. Mrs. T. loves them. It,s all down to the education given at high school level where a lot of English characters are used extensively in the teaching of English, as a language.

marbro8
27-05-2013, 16:39
Have you seen the American slant with Watson being a woman? It is most enjoyable but with a different look at Sherlock amongst to-day,s American society.drugs etc etc. I havn,t become immersed in the film versions tbh but the Russians thoroughly enjoy full length films with all the differing actors. Mrs. T. loves them. It,s all down to the education given at high school level where a lot of English characters are used extensively in the teaching of English, as a language.no i haven't but i will take a look at it, it sounds intriguing;)

lesbroz
18-08-2013, 14:45
Have you seen the American slant with Watson being a woman? It is most enjoyable but with a different look at Sherlock amongst to-day,s American society.drugs etc etc. I havn,t become immersed in the film versions tbh but the Russians thoroughly enjoy full length films with all the differing actors. Mrs. T. loves them. It,s all down to the education given at high school level where a lot of English characters are used extensively in the teaching of English, as a language.

New Series of Elementary due in September. Can't Wait.