PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden How do I get rid of fridge odour?

seanocelt
28-05-2013, 11:47
Having a problem with a fridge odour.Googled it, cleaned it inside and out, have baking soda on a tray inside as is widely suggested. Still getting an almost gassy smell when i open the door. Takes an hour or 2 to build up, goes away quick but cant get rid of it, any ideas folks. Usually "if it happens in Tenerife," .......... the solution is found on here! Thanks , Sean.

honda
28-05-2013, 12:48
Make sure that the drain hole is clear, sometimes gets blocked and goes slimey. I believe that rubbing half of a lemon around the inside is good for getting rid of fridge odours.

seanocelt
28-05-2013, 12:54
thanks, yes i cleaned te drain and the tray behind. Its deffo less smelly now, just 1st thing, maybe the baking soda takes a while to finish the job. Any other ideas folks? Im baffled, cannot trace the source fridge spotless!!

blondie
28-05-2013, 13:21
Dont know if you can buy fridge deodorisers in Tenerife or not , they contain charcoal and worka treat on smells., if not I will be over shortly and will bring you some.I think I may have met you in the Whiskey Jar , is that correct?

Santiago
28-05-2013, 13:22
As it is already clean - as far as you know - empty all the food and, if possible, make sure that it is placed into clean bags, bottles, boxes, etc. Mix some white vinegar with hot water and clean everything you can see; shelves walls, drip tray, ice box (if it has one), etc., and especially under the door where nasty things can stick. When dry, replace all the goods in their nice clean bags and, hopefully, the smell will have gone. You can also put a container in the fridge with white vinegar in it to catch any smells afterwards. Hope it works, it did for me!

chifleta
28-05-2013, 14:32
i've put a half a glass of coffee granuals in the fridge before to get rid of onion smell.... that seemed to work ...

seanocelt
28-05-2013, 16:14
never seen them here , you should bring a caseload to flog! Think i have it under control with the vinegar/baking soda combo....thanks all.
Dont know if you can buy fridge deodorisers in Tenerife or not , they contain charcoal and worka treat on smells., if not I will be over shortly and will bring you some.I think I may have met you in the Whiskey Jar , is that correct?

AL JAY
28-05-2013, 16:38
Sean maybe it is vapour escaping from the fins/pipes at the rear of the Fridge? Have you moved it recently and maybe damaged it?

seanocelt
28-05-2013, 16:43
seems to be inside when i open the door esp 1st thing in the morning, freezer and outside odourless. Seems less of a problem now, 4th day of baking soda.

AL JAY
28-05-2013, 16:47
Ah right, Hopefully the baking soda will sort it!

junglejim
28-05-2013, 17:36
Not being funny Sean but maybe a tray with some cat litter material (unused !) will help absorb the odour as it usually contains similiar materials to what you are using ?
Or something like this
http://www.fridgeit.com/

delderek
28-05-2013, 18:12
You said it smells like Gas. Could it be the compressor is leaking Gas, it does happen.

Bhamannette
29-05-2013, 12:42
Scoop out half a lemon, fill it with salt and leave it in the fridge, worked really well.