PDA

View Full Version : Police told us they have 8 robbery calls a day in Los Cristianos

Pages : [1] 2

anto3
28-05-2013, 21:18
A lady was robbed of her gold going into the lift in Paloma beach. Last week we picked a woman of the ground in Paloma beach , she was robbed of all her gold around her neck, Talked to the police and they said it happens 8 times a day in Los Cris. Seems they were not interested in her handbag. She said they followed her to the superarket

candy2411
28-05-2013, 23:08
we keep reading threads like this and it's such a shame, but the answer is don't wear expensive jewellery.

I'm sure the lady concerned was very shaken but hope she wasn't hurt.

Alerts like this are useful and just might prevent someone else suffering the same unfortunate incident.

anto3
28-05-2013, 23:53
The lady had a bag across her shoulder but she said they did not get the prize as she had 6,000 in the bag. Could not understand as I went looking for her son in the apartment and he said she just went out for a loaf of bread. Some crazy people

YOUNG GOLFER
29-05-2013, 00:29
Sorry someone got robbed........but to wear all that gold and to carry 6000 in her purse just going for a loaf of bread is even stranger.

kiwiphil
29-05-2013, 00:36
Hell, if that's what she thinks bread costs, can someone send her to my place in El Medano, the Breadmaker's on now!

Andy0210
29-05-2013, 01:00
Saddos mocking this situation, shame! Anna was a a valued member of this forum in the old days, shame this forum canīt take a step back in time?

kiwiphil
29-05-2013, 01:12
Sorry, not meaning to upset anyone, but really carrying around that much money is crazy, no matter whether you are in Tenerife or the UK. I'd be nervous as hell and probably mark myself as a target just by the way I was looking around at everyone.

If I knew my mum was carrying that much money around I'd be making damn sure that she didn't. Even inside the house!

While people should be free to walk around without getting mugged, we should take a small amount of responsibility by not flaunting wealth, bearing in mind the massive unemployment and that the majority of the unemployed are not getting any benefits at all.

Peterrayner
29-05-2013, 08:46
got my pocket dipped a few weeks ago outside the Paradise Park Hotel :(

tfs1
29-05-2013, 10:23
got my pocket dipped a few weeks ago outside the Paradise Park Hotel

Peter, sorry to hear about your experience - how did they do it ?

TFS1

seanocelt
29-05-2013, 13:34
been 3 incidents of pocket dipping from Columbus to Playa Azul that i know of. M.O. is barging past at speed, deftly emptying the pocket of (often tipsy) solo pedestrians. Sad that even tranquil Paloma area getting incidents.

Peterrayner
29-05-2013, 13:54
Peter, sorry to hear about your experience - how did they do it ?

TFS1

Broke my own rules..out late and walked back up alone.

This guy stepped out of the shadows and grabbed me, by the time I had pushed him off and swore at him (in Spanish) he had dipped my pocket and was off with my cash and a couple of local lotterias.

Luckily I had my keys in my hand. **** madre

YOUNG GOLFER
29-05-2013, 13:57
Well just had another lot of scum bags in my office trying to sell perfume again............ 80€ bottle for only 20€ you can just see in their faces they look nervous and on edge.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hope you are ok now Peter mate.

seanocelt
29-05-2013, 14:01
Oh and one kid fell asleep at the airport, lost passport, as well as all cards,ticket and remaining cash. Had to get exit visa 3 days later at Santa Cruz 110 euros, helped out by staff at Whiskey Jar.

anto3
29-05-2013, 14:24
The police are all over Los Cris at the moment, If anyone reads Janet ******** blog this week, she said Las Vista beach is a no go area after 5pm. She wrote that last week they tired to rob the car hire shop on Las Vista beach and then ran after 5 woman with a knife. Also if you read La Opinion paper yesterday, it said a hotel in Los Cris was robbed fifty times in one year. They say there are gangs of Moroccan doing it.

Peterrayner
29-05-2013, 14:41
Hope you are ok now Peter mate.

Fine no damage done except to my pride. Hope he chokes on it.

Angusjim
29-05-2013, 14:43
The police are all over Los Cris at the moment, If anyone reads Janet ******** blog this week, she said Las Vista beach is a no go area after 5pm. She wrote that last week they tired to rob the car hire shop on Las Vista beach and then ran after 5 woman with a knife. Also if you read La Opinion paper yesterday, it said a hotel in Los Cris was robbed fifty times in one year. They say there are gangs of Moroccan doing it.

The wife did not fancy San Eugenio area this year due to reports about robberies etc thats why we decided on Los Cristianos thought it to be safer !! if she hear's about this we may have to reconsider Los Cristianos
Hope you are OK Peter

anto3
29-05-2013, 15:28
We asked friends in Purto Del Cruz last week when we went there do they have the same problem, the answer was no. Cannot remember seeing a policeman.

melm
29-05-2013, 19:02
We asked friends in Purto Del Cruz last week when we went there do they have the same problem, the answer was no. Cannot remember seeing a policeman.

sad to say it does happen in Puerto a friend of mine was mugged walking home himself .... three guys jumped out of the shadows and caught him unawares. He managed to stumble back to where he had left his friends . The police were called and the poor guy spent the night in hospital. Thankfully he didnt have any serious injury.

marbro8
29-05-2013, 19:46
been 3 incidents of pocket dipping from Columbus to Playa Azul that i know of. M.O. is barging past at speed, deftly emptying the pocket of (often tipsy) solo pedestrians. Sad that even tranquil Paloma area getting incidents.i think that as people get wiser to the areas that it normally happens, the thief's have to change tactics, so they move to places where it never usually happens, pretty soon nowhere will be absolutely safe:(, i also think that instead of us just taking it in our stride and just trying to put a brave face on and run the gauntlet, we as holiday makers, and residents should make a stand and do what red devil and tf1 have indicated on another thread, and petition the local authority to send out what we used to call beat bobby's to the most affected areas,i mean come on!!!! who wouldn't love to walk some of the loveliest walks i have ever seen? and get paid for it:wink2:

warbey
29-05-2013, 20:14
Does Anyone think the Punishment for these Crimes acts as a deterrent..?

Middle East cuts off the Hands of Thieves. They dont do it anymore.........

We should all be issued with stun guns, at least They would think twice, desperate or not....

casabonny
29-05-2013, 20:55
And they say Silencio is bad.......So sorry that this happened but unfortunately and sadly it's a sign of the times.With unemployment going up people are getting more and more desperate. I for one would far rather give these people some money or food than to be mugged or robbed.

Medman
29-05-2013, 21:15

We should all be issued with stun guns, at least They would think twice, desperate or not....

Just the Forum Members ?

lesbroz
29-05-2013, 21:25

If we all had stun guns, they would probably stun us before they mugged us!

essexeddie
29-05-2013, 21:27
Are you allowed to carry a Baseball or Cricket bat?

marbro8
29-05-2013, 21:43
Are you allowed to carry a Baseball or Cricket bat?bloody hell i still think a better police presence would suffice:laugh:

celine
29-05-2013, 22:11
we were in players today and walking down a side street we seen a perfumery with big battering ram holes in the shop window.
.they never got fully through though

Margaretta
29-05-2013, 22:52
Sadly muggings for gold are not to be unexpected. A month ago there was a report of one on the Nature Reserve at Las Galletas. There was a discussion about not wearing your most expensive jewellery when out walking or was it even necessary to wear it in Tenerife? Plenty of beautiful local jewellery of less value.
In the summer metal can get very hot and burn the skin. As said above, in these times of serious unemployment crime may prevail. But when you think of all thousands who holiday in the south of Tenerife very safely, it probably works out as less than one hundredth per cent affected by crime. Just a good idea to take precautions. The taking of money and objects may have less effect than the shock of being robbed so I'm very sorry for those who have suffered.

slodgedad
29-05-2013, 22:57
The way this thread reads distresses me as it reads like robberies and muggings only happen here.

Has anyone any statistics for similar sized towns anywhere else in the world?

Margaretta
29-05-2013, 22:59
Andy, I don't think anyone meant to be unkind about the robbery. Nor did we know it was Anna whom so many of us liked so much. There was a little lighthearted banter about the amount of money and the bread. The amount people carry is no-one else's business and there was probably a good reason. I think we all want to point out that in these times of high unemployment it is best to be cautious. A little levity sometimes gives a necessary pause to consider.

kiwiphil
29-05-2013, 23:50
The way this thread reads distresses me as it reads like robberies and muggings only happen here.

I don't have any stats, but before comparing all towns, I'd focus on looking at similar sized holiday towns, as the mix of tourists to residents must influence the attraction to criminals. Its sure as hell safer than similar sized places in the Caribbean. Maybe Crete, Rhodes or Cyprus would be good comparisons.

But in general its amazing how safe it feels here. New Years in New Zealand always has a huge police presence at all large public gatherings. Here its non existent. And the same for all of the festivals etc.

seanocelt
30-05-2013, 01:24

you are correct of course; we get winter /spring tourists in numbers, so we get thieves. Anyone looking on Trip Advisor, say for Las Ramblas Barcelona, might be put off going. Same for many other busy spots.

Angusjim
30-05-2013, 07:00

But this is the Tenerife Forum what do you expect stories of muggings in Dundee ? What have muggings in similar sized towns anywhere else in the world got do with whats happening in Tenerife, people who are coming over are entitled to know what is happening out there and make an informed choice of what action to take.

junglejim
30-05-2013, 08:06
But this is the Tenerife Forum what do you expect stories of muggings in Dundee ? What have muggings in similar sized towns anywhere else in the world got do with whats happening in Tenerife, people who are coming over are entitled to know what is happening out there and make an informed choice of what action to take.
Just in case anyone is interested AJ !

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/

Angusjim
30-05-2013, 08:10

No story here move along please:whistle:

Albatros
30-05-2013, 08:15

I can't see the relevance. This is a Tenerife Forum and hence folk will discuss Tenerife issues. I am sure the OP and others are posting to give folk a 'heads up' and not having a dig at Tenerife.

Cherry picking statistics of crime in some other place won't make the victims feel any better.

kiwiphil
30-05-2013, 08:37

Muggings in other places have relevance as it quantifies if Tenerife is "terrible" or just "normal". Imagine if we went on about the weather every time it was cloudy in Tenerife. Without all of us knowing that even on a bad day it compares very well to the UK we could make it out to be a huge issue.

Clearly there is an issue at the moment and its worse than it has been. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Europe wide trend and not just specific to here.

junglejim
30-05-2013, 08:50
The relevance we should be considering here is the change in frequency of incidents as we have had ,in the past, gangs turning up and doing a sweep of hot spots .
Remeber the "shell game" that use to be prevalent on the walkways -you never see it now .
Other instances are also being reported here
http://www.facebook.com/groups/291982994263563/?fref=ts

However if they are not reported then statistics will not give true picture of issue !

I wonder how many people were mugged or pickpocketed in San Eugenio on Tuesday as the Police did their usual paperwork check on cars and Grua work ? Easy money, spot fines - catch a crook , far too difficult!

ciderhunter
30-05-2013, 09:13

Blimey! She gets about a bit.
The bird at the bottom right of the page is the same bird that's on the Tenebay adverts.

junglejim
30-05-2013, 09:18
Blimey! She gets about a bit.
The bird at the bottom right of the page is the same bird that's on the Tenebay adverts.
Itīs your cookies that are attracting the adverts! We donīt see it only you ! Clear your cookies after visiting sites , or somebody else is using your computer !
I donīt want a Thai Bride !

Loaded
30-05-2013, 09:19
There has been a rise in robberies that's for sure - however there is also a plain clothes police presence in los cristianos so they are onto it

golf birdie
30-05-2013, 10:39
until they abolish the stupid law regarding less than 400 euros, crime will continue to rise.

9PLUS
30-05-2013, 10:50
A bit silly isn't it

Angusjim
30-05-2013, 11:56
r
Muggings in other places have relevance as it quantifies if Tenerife is "terrible" or just "normal". Imagine if we went on about the weather every time it was cloudy in Tenerife. Without all of us knowing that even on a bad day it compares very well to the UK we could make it out to be a huge issue.

Clearly there is an issue at the moment and its worse than it has been. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Europe wide trend and not just specific to here.

So is this forum only here to say good things about Tenerife or to help provide information to holiday makers who for instance visit San Eugenio which seems to have a particular issue at the moment.Whether there are more muggings per head of population in the UK than in Tenerife is not really the issue, its about what is happening and where in Tenerife so people can be extra vigilant when visiting. I hardly think the tourist authorities are going to warn holidaymakers about the current situation

golf birdie
30-05-2013, 12:17
r

So is this forum only here to say good things about Tenerife or to help provide information to holiday makers who for instance visit San Eugenio which seems to have a particular issue at the moment.Whether there are more muggings per head of population in the UK than in Tenerife is not really the issue, its about what is happening and where in Tenerife so people can be extra vigilant when visiting. I hardly think the tourist authorities are going to warn holidaymakers about the current situation

don't forget, this is only the number who take the time to report the crime. A lot can't be bothered to spend hours in the police station and put it down to experience so the numbers are a lot higher. Hotels should, IMO be making all their guest aware of the risks of carrying large amounts of money and valuables. Only the other night I walked past a bar where two people were videoing the act with Ipads held up in the air. What a target they would become once they started staggering home.

primrose
30-05-2013, 12:56

Sorry Slodge but if you find sitting at a Computer distressing reading about muggings and pick-pockets in Tenerife then try to imagine what it is like in the real world as I found out last week when we walked along the front at Los Cristianos and turned up to walk up between Arona Gran and Costa Mar and out of nowhere we were surrounded by three twenty something males they were obviously hiding in the bushes as they were nowhere in sight when we turned to walk up the walkway, one stood behind me one stood at the side and towards the back of my Husband and one in front with a Miller Travel Brochure and no way would they let us pass,the one with the Brochure kept pointing at the map asking me to find a Hotel for them and all the time the one behind me was so close I couldn't even turn round to look at him. I had no Jewelry on and I have a lock on my bag that fastens the zip to the strap so nobody can unzip it without unlocking it so I knew if they wanted money then the only thing they would have to do was take my bag. Luckily somebody came and turned up the walkway when they saw what was going on and they ran away.So do you really think I care how many muggings there are anywhere else in the word, this was happening to us in Los Cristianos and the more people that talk about it and put warnings on Forums like this the more people will know what to expect and be on their guard. As much as people want to hide the truth there are pick-pockets and muggers out there and if nothing is done about it it will only get worse. This was done at 3o'clock in the afternoon so it can be at anytime of the day or night and can happen to anybody.So please all you people that think nothing bad has to be said about Tenerife get the truth out there and perhaps something will be done about it it could be you or your relatives next and they may not be as lucky as we were.

Red Devil
30-05-2013, 13:49
Could all the threads on muggings, pickpockets etc be amalgamated into one? Then if everyone bombarded the council on the link that was put on here the other day, showing them the horror stories, then perhaps it might get through to the authorities that more police presence is needed.

I consider myself very, very aware but I still was nearly pickpocketed walking along the prom in front of Mediterranean Palace.
I was with my friend, talking and walking along about 50 yds ahead of our husbands (I was wearing a amall rucksack) when I suddenly became aware there was someone very close behind us.
I turned round and stopped and the young couple behind me stopped also, which at the time was odd because a normal couple would have carried on past me, not stop also- I carried on walking no more than 5 yards when I turned again and they had melted away, but my rucksack zip was about a third open, so I had obviously disturbed them.

The thing is it was a really busy time in the day, plenty of people around and my husband close by, yet they were still able to try and steal.

Things like that arent going to be reported either so police figures must be nothing like the true figures.

I am now starting to feel a bit anxious when we are out at night - it is no wonder it is quiet down at Puerto Colon at night, who is going to walk up the hill past Club Atlantis or the public walkway to Harleys late on unless there is a gang of you?

If you are a young fit strapping bloke you probably havent the same fear, but over the coming winter months the older people are going to be easy targets.

warbey
30-05-2013, 19:32

It distresses Me too Slodge. The truth can do that and More need to be aware of the Level crime has got to.

I too was robbed some Years ago, and I am now a lot more careful when out and about.

We have excerpts Posted from Canairian Weekly here, can.t We reciprocate with some of this Information

When I was robbed, My Hotel of the Time advised against calling the Police, as I am sure many Others

would do too.

If Those who are Caught are allowed back in circulation, They will do it again and again.

Perhaps the Police catch them, but the Penalties allow repeats.

I am glad some Residencia are now more aware. It is not alarmist

It just happens to be the Truth, ask Primrose and Others.

who-r-ya
30-05-2013, 19:58
O boy.. some people are taking it hard hearing that Tenerife has a theft problem! But it has to be said, it is only the honest truth, people have a right to know how bad it has become, yes of course it happens other countries and towns in the world, but as said before we are talking about Tenerife! and to be quite blunt...I live in London and know all London like the back of my hand, and I do not know anywhere similar to the small area of say puerto colon Club Atlantis and across the green to Harleys that has such a high theft rate. If the police are saying 8 robberies a day in Los Chris then I would say 8 a day in just that small area! ....now I guess I am going to get blasted!! bring it on!!

penelope pitstop
30-05-2013, 21:15
My OH was mugged last year on the Geranium Walk in Las Am. Fortunately he had nothing on him apart from a mobile phone, which they took. He also ended up with cracked ribs from the fall. We never bothered reporting it as we knew it would mean spending hours in the police station with little hope of catching those responsible.
We returned last night from another visit to Tenerife, luckily no problems this time inspite of wearing exepnsive jewellery, which will be left at home next time as it's not worth the risk!

Red Devil
30-05-2013, 21:24
It is anywhere where its a bit quiet at night now to be honest - its very dark walking up to the Wigan Arms, Sun Inn row of bars and we were walking back to San Eugenio from the Wigan Pier at Mareverde after midnight recently and suddenly realised that, apart from the taxi rank at Sunset Harbour, we were on our own on the street.
In the past I wouldnt have thought twice about that, but not now.
I dont want to feel like this, I love Tenerife.

slodgedad
30-05-2013, 21:31
I have been quoted and virtually vilified for my response to this thread.

My point was in response to the thread title which states that 8 robberies are reported each day. I wasn't saying that it isn't bad, ideally there would be none,but it isn't above the average for an area that size.

Obviously members need to be aware but it just seemed to me that by the responses made it appeared that LC was the crime capital of Europe.

essexeddie
30-05-2013, 21:45
O boy.. some people are taking it hard hearing that Tenerife has a theft problem! But it has to be said, it is only the honest truth, people have a right to know how bad it has become, yes of course it happens other countries and towns in the world, but as said before we are talking about Tenerife! and to be quite blunt...I live in London and know all London like the back of my hand, and I do not know anywhere similar to the small area of say puerto colon Club Atlantis and across the green to Harleys that has such a high theft rate. If the police are saying 8 robberies a day in Los Chris then I would say 8 a day in just that small area! ....now I guess I am going to get blasted!! bring it on!!

I've lived in London most of my younger life and now in Essex which is not known for its quiet areas. But I can walk out at night without a worry. There are bad areas I know so you keep away but Tenerife is supposed to be a holiday area and should be safe. Some one is not doing their job.

YOUNG GOLFER
30-05-2013, 21:48
Tenerife has always had problems with muggings robberies etc but there are lots of tourist here and this will attract thieves and other scum bags.
But rather than make tenerife look bad lets help by sharing our knowledge so new members won't make the same mistakes.
I will start.

When going to the beach leave all valuables in you apartment or hotel safe including your phone,iPad etc.

primrose
30-05-2013, 21:56
I have been quoted and virtually vilified for my response to this thread.

My point was in response to the thread title which states that 8 robberies are reported each day. I wasn't saying that it isn't bad, ideally there would be none,but it isn't above the average for an area that size.

Obviously members need to be aware but it just seemed to me that by the responses made it appeared that LC was the crime capital of Europe.

And it very soon will be when there are people who will not face reality and admit that there is a big problem in Tenerife at the moment, The more it's brought out into the open the sooner something will be done, what does it matter how many muggings there are in Wigan or Warrington or where ever this is happening here and the same members of this Forum that over and over again bury their head in the sand and won't admit there is anything wrong are really not doing Tenerife any favours.

9PLUS
30-05-2013, 21:56
Don't carry €6000 with you

primrose
30-05-2013, 22:06
Tenerife has always had problems with muggings robberies etc but there are lots of tourist here and this will attract thieves and other scum bags.
But rather than make tenerife look bad lets help by sharing our knowledge so new members won't make the same mistakes.
I will start.

When going to the beach leave all valuables in you apartment or hotel safe including your phone,iPad etc.

So what mistake did I make when somebody tried to rob us, I had no jewellery on not even my wedding ring as I am allergic to gold my bag had a lock on so nobody could unzip it, it was the middle of the afternoon in a built up area, and because of this Forum I am well aware of the dangers that are hppening in Los Cristianos at the moment.We are not trying to make Tenerife look bad we are just stating facts.

slodgedad
30-05-2013, 22:11
And it very soon will be when there are people who will not face reality and admit that there is a big problem in Tenerife at the moment, The more it's brought out into the open the sooner something will be done, what does it matter how many muggings there are in Wigan or Warrington or where ever this is happening here and the same members of this Forum that over and over again bury their head in the sand and won't admit there is anything wrong are really not doing Tenerife any favours.
You keep on about my burying my head in the sand which is rubbish.

Of course there is a problem.

My point was that there is a problem everywhere and I agreed that holidaymakers should be made aware and keep their sensible heads on.

I replied to the thread title and because the responses veered off topic I got jumped on.

Like a lot of others, I give in. Last response to this thread. I'll get back to work and not bother joining in with the squabbles.

YOUNG GOLFER
30-05-2013, 22:11

And you are doing tenerife favours? Rather than being negative about the place help share with other members what they should do to prevent anything happening to them. We should all do our bit to help......if we share our experiences others will not to go through what many have before.
To help keep Tenerife safe we need to do our bit.
I will go out of my way this week and talk to a few friends who are policemen here and see what they think about the crime here of late and I will post it on here.
For new members.
Another thing when going out for a night out don't take your phone or camera or hand bag .....ware a pair of jeans / trousers and if you take out 100 euros then make sure you put a little in each pocket.

Mate you are not just a mod but a member also.......keep posting and tells us you views on any subject.

primrose
30-05-2013, 22:23
And you are doing tenerife favours? Rather than being negative about the place help share with other members what they should do to prevent anything happening to them. We should all do our bit to help......if we share our experiences others will not to go through what many have before.
I will go out of my way this week and talk to a few friends who are policemen here and see what they think about the crime here of late and I will post it on here.
For new members.
Another thing when going out for a night out don't take your phone or camera or hand bag .....ware a pair of jeans / trousers and if you take out 100 euros then make sure you put a little in each pocket.

Mate you are not just a mod but a member also.......keep posting and tells us you views on any subject.

I am not being negative, I am being realistic and I asked you what mistake I had made, perhaps if people had spoken up sooner then it wouldn't have got as bad as it has.It would be better if the Police did Tenerife a favour and stopped targeting the motorist and started putting their efforts into doing something about making the streets safe for Residents and Holidaymakers.

Red Devil
30-05-2013, 22:45
For new members.

I really dont want Tenerife to be held in a negative light and yes there are idiots who walk about with a load of money/jewellery but I am not in that category, yet there is unease now about walking about and I am really annoyed that hubby now tells me not to use even a handbag at night!
Just asking for a police presence in certain areas to make you feel a bit safer isnt too much surely?

YOUNG GOLFER
30-05-2013, 22:51
I am not being negative, I am being realistic and I asked you what mistake I had made, perhaps if people had spoken up sooner then it wouldn't have got as bad as it has.It would be better if the Police did Tenerife a favour and stopped targeting the motorist and started putting their efforts into doing something about making the streets safe for Residents and Holidaymakers.
Well sorry primrose but as long as you have motorist that don't pay their insurance causing accidents on the roads or drink drives with no licence or insurance breaking the laws.....then there will always be the need for police. And all these police stops at roundabouts and in our streets that people moan about are the same police that keep drugs of the street.
People seem very quick to blame the Police but they do what they can or what the are told to do.
Just wonder how many people would swap their jobs to be a copper.

I really dont want Tenerife to be held in a negative light and yes there are idiots who walk about with a load of money/jewellery but I am not in that category, yet there is unease now about walking about and I am really annoyed that hubby now tells me not to use even a handbag at night!
Just asking for a police presence in certain areas to make you feel a bit safer isnt too much surely?

I too would like to see a bigger police presence but we are in a recession no jobs not enough people pay taxes and no Money in the coffers. But we can do our bit and help by giving new visiters to the island our advice on how to stay safe.

primrose
30-05-2013, 23:03
Well sorry primrose but as long as you have motorist that don't pay their insurance causing accidents on the roads or drink drives with no licence or insurance breaking the laws.....then there will always be the need for police. And all these police stops at roundabouts and in our streets that people moan about are the same police that keep drugs of the street.
People seem very quick to blame the Police but they do what they can or what the are told to do.

Well if they are so good at catching motorists that drive without Insurance or license and keep drugs off the street and that is debatable why the hell can't they catch muggers or pick-pockets and keep them off the streets.

YOUNG GOLFER
30-05-2013, 23:22
Don't think you get it..........the police have many jobs to do from making sure our kids are safe when walking across the road to school dealing with fights, drunks, domestics, motorist, the list goes on.
More police cost more money and sad to say but that's how it is in my eyes.

Red Devil
30-05-2013, 23:29

I too would like to see a bigger police presence but we are in a recession no jobs not enough people pay taxes and no Money in the coffers. But we can do our bit and help by giving new visiters to the island our advice on how to stay safe.

I am not a new visitor, since 1987 I am in Tenerife for most of the year but I sometimes think residents perhaps dont realise how much is happening? I wonder if any of you walk the routes that the tourists do? Not being rude or argumentative but suggest you have a night out in tourist areas and see how you feel about walking back to a hotel/apartment in the dark, later at night rather than driving yourself or jumping in a taxi to go back home.

Angusjim
31-05-2013, 07:25
Don't think you get it..........the police have many jobs to do from making sure our kids are safe when walking across the road to school dealing with fights, drunks, domestics, motorist, the list goes on.
More police cost more money and sad to say but that's how it is in my eyes.

They managed to employ people to hunt down those nasty old illegal letters why can they not employ something like the community wardens to patrol the problem areas, its the islands biggest industry and they have to invest in it

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 07:42
All that is needed is for everyone to denounce the situation and then there will be a permanent police presence there. Just the same as what happened in San Raff Apartments 2 and a half months ago and the police are there more or less 24 hours a day due to prostitution, drug dealing and muggings being reported.

Starco is a safer area at night now.

Angusjim
31-05-2013, 07:46
Name the bloody problem areas then

cheers jim

x

The ones that seem to be mentioned on here are San Eugenio area, Club Atlantis down to Porto Colon etc etc & various areas in Los Cristianos.

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 08:10
OK lets see what the National Police say.

Do a list that isn't various areas / in LC, a detailed list of problem areas. names, street, shopping centers, walkways etc.

I have a meeting with them on the 10th of June so i could bring it up in conversation.

Red Devil
31-05-2013, 08:50

Do a list that isn't various areas / in LC, a detailed list of problem areas. names, street, shopping centers, walkways etc.

I have a meeting with them on the 10th of June so i could bring it up in conversation.

Ok thats good - starting with the ones I am familiar with: Def the pedestrianised walkway up from the taxi rank down at Puerto Colon past the little park to come out at the side of Harleys, very badly lit with lots of trees, bushes.
Main road up from port past Club Atlantis up to San Eugenio
Anywhere along Geranium Walk later at night.
Walking up the hill in Los Cris past Victoria Court, also walking up road between Paradise Park and Dinastia again in Los Cris.
Sure there are plenty more people can mention.

candy2411
31-05-2013, 08:56

That sounds a great idea.The problems cannot be ignored and if allowed to go unreported will probably increase.

I can understand people don't want to spend hours in the police station especially when the amount stolen is insignificant, but you can't really put a price on intimidation.To be fair to the authorities, they can't take action on events they don't know about.

I agree it's only commonsense to leave valuables in the hotel or apartment on a night out, but two of the incidents mentioned on this thread took place in the DAYTIME. A lot of tourists would say what is the point of being on holiday if you can't relax and have your camera with you!

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 09:15
I can't go into the Police and say "there seems to be a crime problem up the street from x to x

But i can say on Av./C. ______________________________________ between the Paradise Park and Dinastia complex there seem to be operating an individual/gang of pick pocket /muggers/prostitutes/burglaries etc. between the hours of ___________ & __________ etc etc

candy2411
31-05-2013, 09:23
well from reading this thread, we already know the area around Iceland,and the area around the Arona hotel ( same area yes) is a hotspot for thieves and during the daytime

golf birdie
31-05-2013, 09:45
on my first visit to Orlando many years ago the holiday company sent me a info pack with all my details. Also in the package was a guide about how to be aware of problems when driving. This is some of the things it said;

When parking at a mall, park as close as possible to the doors and in a well lit area.

Keep doors locked at all times when driving.

If you need to ask directions stop at a service station or mall in a well lit area, Do not stop at roadside.

When returning to the car have the key ready in case you need to get away from anyone. Never park in dark, quiet areas.

If the car is shunted from behind do not stop in an unlit quiet place. Indicate to the other driver to follow you to the police station or a well lit busy area.

Never leave items on show in the car. If leaving items in the trunk please place items there before finding your final parking place.

If waiting at a junction do not lower window if car if approached by anyone and keep the doors locked.

Scary at first read but it made me aware that crime was a problem there and I did take more care. Did it put me off Florida? Never in a million years! Forewarned, forearmed.

Red Devil
31-05-2013, 10:13
I can't go into the Police and say "there seems to be a crime problem up the street from x to x

But i can say on Av./C. ______________________________________ between the Paradise Park and Dinastia complex there seem to be operating an individual/gang of pick pocket /muggers/prostitutes/burglaries etc. between the hours of ___________ & __________ etc etc

On Av de Colon past Club Atlantis, Av Londres in Los Cris, and road between Av San Francisco past Paradise Park up to Calle Rodeo, dont know name pedestrian walkway up to Harleys but sure you will.

TenerifeTeddy
31-05-2013, 10:19

About 6 weeks ago in Callao Salvaje, I witnessed pickpockets in action at the bus stop. When I saw it, I shouted a warning and the 2 thieves quickly ran to a waiting car. I had good descriptions of the perpetrators and the details of the car they escaped in.

I phoned the pōlice denuncia phone line, and gave them the details. they asked if I was the victim, I said no , a witness, and they told me that I couldn't denounce it as I wasn't the victim. :(

This means of course that it becomes an unreported crime, with no follow up action. The best they said they could do was to pass the information onto the National Police at Las Americas.

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 13:52
Yes it's a national police issue, Why wouldn't the victim report it ?

TenerifeTeddy
31-05-2013, 14:35
Yes it's a national police issue, Why wouldn't the victim report it ?

The person who was robbed was in a scrum of 20+ people getting on a bus, I saw the purse being lifted and being passed to the accomplice with the bag and shouted, my attention was on the robbers. There was a lot of commotion and I think the people who were robbed got on the bus without realising their purse had been nicked. They weren't still on the pavement after the bus had left anyway.

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 15:05
I understand why the Police couldn't do anything in that case then.

TenerifeTeddy
31-05-2013, 15:13
I understand why the Police couldn't do anything in that case then.

My frustration was that they would not even record the crime, so therefore it didn't happen.

We had a whole spate of pickpocketing this year, and nothing was done, no extra patrols or police presence at busy times.

I know the Police are busy, but with 4 police forces, 2 of which are for community policing, it is frustrating when you see nothing being done. With the people that come into my shop I know of at least a dozen thefts like this , this year alone, with no apparent or obvious action by the police.

This sort of thing does affect tourism, I know it doesn't help that people aren't careful enough, but the odd visible foot patrol at busy times, is all it would take to drive these scum away.

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 15:34
I'm pretty sure reporting it to the correct Police force the National Police you could have made a denuncia.

Remember, Local Police are just glorified townhall workers with a gun, they do hardly anything. Lost & Found, Parking, call a grua, help children & old ladies across the road type of thing.

essexeddie
31-05-2013, 16:26
Perhaps the Police will be happy if all the tourists stop coming to Tenerife then they will have a quiet life as the island will revert back to growing bananas and tomatoes.

marbro8
31-05-2013, 17:34

I have a meeting with them on the 10th of June so i could bring it up in conversation.at last:tiphat:

macdonald5
31-05-2013, 18:55
Mango Outlet in San Eugenio is another 'hot spot' for the scum pickpockets

who-r-ya
31-05-2013, 19:03
I will start.

Make Tenerife look bad! are you serious the thefts ARE BAD! share our knowledge you say! thats what we are doing!! What do you mean NEW members, why just new members?

[QUOTE=macdonald5;291362]Mango Outlet in San Eugenio is another 'hot spot' for the scum pickpockets

Yes and the staff know its going on and will not get the scum banned from the shop!! Some of the other local shops know its going on, yet stand and watch another person become a victim, I am not suggesting they go and fight with these people, but they are running a business they need to look after the people spending their hard earned cash, think about it...if its gets any worse people will not go to the shops...then they will close down....then what??
as for what someone has suggested, to go out with jeans on, no jewellery and dont take a handbag!! thats crazy! he says put little bit of money in your pockets.. Ha, have you seen the prices lately in the tourist areas, stop giving advice that is so obvious, we are not to blame if we get mugged! its not OUR fault, if I take my purse out and get it ripped out of my hand thats not my fault, I do not want to leave my wedding ring at the apartment. Anyone reading these comments who owns a shop or cafe in these notorious areas, please try and get other business people together and talk to the police, you may have more 'clout' than us visitors?

9PLUS
31-05-2013, 20:55
If these criminals are so easy to spot take a photo of them and take it to the National Police station

macdonald5
31-05-2013, 20:55
Totally agree with your comments who-r-ya
I personally now have a number of shops and bars/restuarants on my 'no go' list ,nothing wrong with the shop/bar/restuarant but will not compromise our safety to use quiet walkways home (and the past few weeks we were there walkways were extremely quiet ,even for May)
OK my few hundred NOT spent in these establishments might not make a huge hole in the economy of the island but if a few hundred people do similar,.l without being alarmist, a number of businesses will go under and more jobs will be lost
We will not stop coming to an island we love but will make informed choices of where to spend our euros

/

marbro8
31-05-2013, 21:23
i just wish that all the anger and angst on this topic could be put to some good use:dontknow:, if only someone could maybe start the petition we want and produce it to the proper authorities then maybe something could be done, don't forget we are just a small community, i wonder how many holiday makers have been affected that are not members on here:dontknow:

Sal
31-05-2013, 21:33
i just wish that all the anger and angst on this topic could be put to some good use:dontknow:, if only someone could maybe start the petition we want and produce it to the proper authorities then maybe something could be done, don't forget we are just a small community, i wonder how many holiday makers have been affected that are not members on here:dontknow:

Must admit, we are starting to worry a bit about our holiday in Los Cris now. We are not youngsters, but I still know where to kick a bloke so it hurts big time! Are we going to be OK?

marbro8
31-05-2013, 21:42
the 4 of us have just come back ok sal after 12 days, we walked up and down past victoria court, to and from las americas at all hours, maybe it was because there was 4 of us? having being dipped a few years ago i like to think that i know the signs but with a few beers inside me? but when we go again in october and only being the 2 of us i don't think we will venture far from the el mirador strip, margerita's in particular because they have the whole package there with food entertainment and about 2 mins walk to our apartment:wink2:

carpenter
31-05-2013, 21:47
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned.
Firstly my sympathies go out to all the victims.
But........
Never mind how much money was or wasn't being carried how much jewelry was being flaunted everyone should feel safe at all times in a resort such as Los Cris and for that matter Tenerife South. Good old Spanish Police eh?

Also maybe this illegal lettings thing is giving the crooks easy pickings.
Hotels have security and CCTV and the chance of someone getting away with a mugging within close proximity of a hotel is less likely than a a similar mugging in a quite Touristic Complex such as Paloma Beach that has lots of entrances and is very difficult to operate effective security.

Before in Tenerife, the self catering holiday makers were spread out across the area in random accommodation but now they are only allowed to stay in certain places that have unfortunately painted very large crosshairs on the visitors.

Sal
31-05-2013, 21:52
the 4 of us have just come back ok sal after 12 days, we walked up and down past victoria court, to and from las americas at all hours, maybe it was because there was 4 of us? having being dipped a few years ago i like to think that i know the signs but with a few beers inside me? but when we go again in october and only being the 2 of us i don't think we will venture far from the el mirador strip, margerita's in particular because they have the whole package there with food entertainment and about 2 mins walk to our apartment:wink2:

We have holidayed in Los Cris for many years now, but it is just the two of us and we are 50/60 in age and am beginning to be a bit scared now. Is it really that bad?

But........
Never mind how much money was or wasn't being carried how much jewelry was being flaunted everyone should feel safe at all times in a resort such as Los Cris and for that matter Tenerife South. Good old Spanish Police eh?

Hotels have security and CCTV and the chance of someone getting away with a mugging within close proximity of a hotel is less likely than a a similar mugging in a quite Touristic Complex such as Paloma Beach that has lots of entrances and is very difficult to operate effective security.

Before in Tenerife, the self catering holiday makers were spread out across the area in random accommodation but now they are only allowed to stay in certain places that have unfortunately painted very large crosshairs on the visitors.

LeFrunk
31-05-2013, 22:01
I have said before my wifes bag was stolen in Los Cris 7yrs ago , almost to this day , she doesn't think about it anymore but I do , when we go into Los Cris she does her shopping and like a d**khead I sit on the wall of the beach and watch out for people on the beach or if I can spot the b*****d who stole my wifes bag , I wont forget his face , Los Cris is as safe as any village . town or city on this planet , so anyone going to Los Cris for their hols please don't worry , just do the things you would normally do when going out at night at home . So enjoy Los Cris , Las Americas and all the rest of the resorts and don't let the dirtbags put yas off cause they are in every village , town and city on this planet .

Sal
31-05-2013, 22:14
I have said before my wifes bag was stolen in Los Cris 7yrs ago , almost to this day , she doesn't think about it anymore but I do , when we go into Los Cris she does her shopping and like a d**khead I sit on the wall of the beach and watch out for people on the beach or if I can spot the b*****d who stole my wifes bag , I wont forget his face , Los Cris is as safe as any village . town or city on this planet , so anyone going to Los Cris for their hols please don't worry , just do the things you would normally do when going out at night at home . So enjoy Los Cris , Las Americas and all the rest of the resorts and don't let the dirtbags put yas off cause they are in every village , town and city on this planet .

As I said before - we have been going to Los Cris for about ten years and never had a problem and I hope it will be the same this year!

Many years ago, I went to Prague knowing it was the pick-pocket capital of the world (then). No problems at all! I have only been robbed on the Paris Metro - totally unsuspecting - but it happened 4,000 French Francs - gone. Think I have wised up since then!

LeFrunk
31-05-2013, 22:23
As I said before - we have been going to Los Cris for about ten years and never had a problem and I hope it will be the same this year!

Many years ago, I went to Prague knowing it was the pick-pocket capital of the world (then). No problems at all! I have only been robbed on the Paris Metro - totally unsuspecting - but it happened 4,000 French Francs - gone. Think I have wised up since then!

So long may it last , enjoy .

anto3
01-06-2013, 00:06
Talked to some policemen today in Los Cris. They told me that they now have some plain clothes police men working in Los Cris

marbro8
01-06-2013, 00:20
Talked to some policemen today in Los Cris. They told me that they now have some plain clothes police men working in Los Crisi think that at the end of the day we all love tenerife and all we want as holidaymakers is to know that we can go on our hols to the place we love best and enjoy our break with the knowledge that we can relax without the fear of violence and robbery ,and if the authorities can also grasp that, and respond to it, then everything will be fine:wink2:

9PLUS
01-06-2013, 06:36
Talked to some policemen today in Los Cris. They told me that they now have some plain clothes police men working in Los Cris

The national police have always had a massive number of plain clothes on their force.

candy2411
01-06-2013, 08:10
Plain clothes police are fine , but they can't be everywhere can they.

I think a police presence in uniform strolling about or even on their motorcycles is a REAL DETERRENT.

After all, as much as catching these thieves is a priority, much better to stop the theft happening in the first place surely,

Angusjim
01-06-2013, 08:19
Mark do you know if anything is being done by businesses in Tenerife to lobby the police into taking action ? perhaps at the moment all holidaymakers should be given information when they arrive of exactly what to do if they are a victim of this sort of crime and maybe they could make it easrier and less time consuming to report these incidents then they could build up a picture of what areas etc they have to target, but I really think that the business community must step up and try and help after all its their livelyhoods that are at risk if certain areas become no go for tourists

9PLUS
01-06-2013, 08:55
Plain clothes police are fine , but they can't be everywhere can they.

I think a police presence in uniform strolling about or even on their motorcycles is a REAL DETERRENT.

After all, as much as catching these thieves is a priority, much better to stop the theft happening in the first place surely,

Correct they can't be everywhere, neither can any Police force anywhere, it's not the Polices fault crimes happen.

much better to stop the theft happening in the first place? it isn't the minority report.

Mark do you know if anything is being done by businesses in Tenerife to lobby the police into taking action ? perhaps at the moment all holidaymakers should be given information when they arrive of exactly what to do if they are a victim of this sort of crime and maybe they could make it easrier and less time consuming to report these incidents then they could build up a picture of what areas etc they have to target, but I really think that the business community must step up and try and help after all its their livelyhoods that are at risk if certain areas become no go for tourists

The Police have already built up a picture. You can't just go and arrest people without any victims. The only lobbing i know of was 3 months ago by residents and business owners from Oro Negro to Rags and focused on the goings on in & around San Raff Apartments (in fornt of Starco)

Here's a quote i'd wrote from somewhere else on the matter,

All that is needed is for everyone to denounce the situation and then there will be a permanent police presence there. Just the same as what happened in San Raff Apartments 2 and a half months ago and the police are there more or less 24 hours a day due to prostitution, drug dealing and muggings being reported.

who-r-ya
01-06-2013, 10:06
If these criminals are so easy to spot take a photo of them and take it to the National Police station

I suppose they are the people running away with a handbag under their arm and being chased by someone shouting stop thief!!! who said they are so easy to spot? maybe the shop owners will get to recognise them eventually? If I had time to take a photo while I was giving chase, it probably would not be usuable anyway. But lets just say if I do take a picture of someone I WILL take it to the police, I will let you know what they say.

golf birdie
01-06-2013, 10:13
But........

I know of 2 cases where people have had their pockets picked in a reception of a big hotel in Los cristianos. It appeared that the thiefs knew where the cameras were and just hid their faces whilst passing them.

who-r-ya
01-06-2013, 12:55
This is one of the situations being used to rob you, so I am telling everyone as a warning, I know because it happened to me!
I went into a internet/phone shop (this ploy is used in a lot of these places) by Mercadona's, there where about 8 people in there on computer or on phones, I asked for a photocopy after waiting what seemed to be a long time for the copy to appear (I realise now I was being watched) 2 men started to argue with the guy behind the counter, who then went to hand me my photocopy, dropped a pile of paper on the floor including my photocopy, I immediately went to pick my copy up and the men where picking up paper also, pushing and shoving me, before I knew it one of them had their hand in my bag...now, because I am aware of whats been happening in the area I was on my guard ...but he wasn't expecting to be given a quick knee where it hurts! I still had my purse and he probably couldnt sit down for a while?
I do not recommend doing this, I can't believe I did it, but there you go, my hubby still tells everyone what I did, 'don't mess with my missus, he says'!

carpenter
01-06-2013, 15:38
I know of 2 cases where people have had their pockets picked in a reception of a big hotel in Los cristianos. It appeared that the thiefs knew where the cameras were and just hid their faces whilst passing them.

I don't doubt it but I said mugging is less likely in a hotel than a self catering complex

essexeddie
01-06-2013, 17:23
All this reminds me a couple of years back, we were in a bar in LC when an old Welsh guy walked in with his shirt all ripped. Apparently he had just been mugged (or tried) by three young fella's. He was an ex professional rugby player. He said in his very broad Welsh accent "I quite enjoyed it really, they didn't get a penny"
A big give away was his two cauliflower ears. They should have known better. We had to laugh.

seanocelt
01-06-2013, 18:36
This is one of the situations being used to rob you, so I am telling everyone as a warning, I know because it happened to me!
I went into a internet/phone shop (this ploy is used in a lot of these places) by Mercadona's, there where about 8 people in there on computer or on phones, I asked for a photocopy after waiting what seemed to be a long time for the copy to appear (I realise now I was being watched) 2 men started to argue with the guy behind the counter, who then went to hand me my photocopy, dropped a pile of paper on the floor including my photocopy, I immediately went to pick my copy up and the men where picking up paper also, pushing and shoving me, before I knew it one of them had their hand in my bag...now, because I am aware of whats been happening in the area I was on my guard ...but he wasn't expecting to be given a quick knee where it hurts! I still had my purse and he probably couldnt sit down for a while?
I do not recommend doing this, I can't believe I did it, but there you go, my hubby still tells everyone what I did, 'don't mess with my missus, he says'!

Brilliant defence...begs the question. Who R ya? No, really!

who-r-ya
01-06-2013, 20:12
Brilliant defence...begs the question. Who R ya? No, really!

:nono:well that would be telling, all I will say is I am a massive 5' 4" weighing in at 8st a real bruiser!! :laugh:

essexeddie
01-06-2013, 20:23
But a Lononer:whistle:

who-r-ya
01-06-2013, 21:21
yeh mate, of course thats why I kneed the geezer!

essexeddie
01-06-2013, 21:32
That's the stuff

Leam_Lin
02-06-2013, 00:23
Few years ago now there was an older welsh couple Rene & Les (in their seventies) Les an ex boxer, on their way home from Puerto Colon when two scumbags tried to mug them. Good old Les knocked them both to the floor.

golf birdie
03-06-2013, 09:57
Well a few month,s ago my wife had her handbag lifted by a fat ugly Bulgarian woman(opposite Costa Mar),I stopped her,got the bag back,then stopped her jumping into a blue car,we called the police,she was arrested and that was all we heard (We would have gone to court).
On reflection i should have marched her down to the beach and .............??????

I'd guess the bag contained less than 400€ in which case the police would not be able to do anything.

warbey
03-06-2013, 18:40
- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -[/COLOR]
t.

May I suggest that when going out at Night, in particular, You don.t take any Money either.

So, No Phone Money Jewellry and You can't lose much.

We are on HOLIDAY Young Golfer, and being restricted means either All Inclusive or Somewhere else.!

This affects Us All, Visitors and Residents and keeping quiet won't cure it.

A word from "On High" and suitable action when caught, would significantly reduce this problem in weeks.,

so surely it is in Everyone's Interest, especially Those whose Income is Generated by the Holiday Industry....?

who-r-ya
03-06-2013, 18:49
So to get Police to do something it has to be 400 or 300 euros?, So I would just say to the police 400 or 300 euros stolen even if it was 50 because it is still MY 50 euros! Yes I would lie to get these scum caught!

who-r-ya
09-06-2013, 14:37
PICK POCKET PROBLEM NOW SOLVED.....CHECK THESE OUT:
http://www.smugglingduds.com
KEEP YOUR CROWN JEWELS SAFE!!

kez1000
09-06-2013, 14:59
I saw a programme on TV where a really good guy (the British consulate in Barcelona) campaigned against this law of not prosecuting any theft under 300 euros. He got it overturned and I think the programme said it was a local law and can be changed. The result was an increase in security for visitors to Barcelona and a double digit reduction in petty theft crimes.

I love Barcelona having worked and holidayed there. It is a shame to watch even Spanish citizens walking down the Ramblas clutching their bags and wallets.

I am not sure what the rules and jurisdictions are in Tenerife but this so called 'petty crime' can be one of the biggest deterrents to older and more wealthy tourists and it should be investigated, particularly the amount of crime by certain minorities - I am sure the Spanish police are as fed up of them as we all are and the poor victims.

who-r-ya
09-06-2013, 17:48
I am not sure what the rules and jurisdictions are in Tenerife but this so called 'petty crime' can be one of the biggest deterrents to older and more wealthy tourists and it should be investigated, particularly the amount of crime by certain minorities - I am sure the Spanish police are as fed up of them as we all are and the poor victims.

Well put!:agree:http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/images/smilies/tenerife-forum-i%20agree-smiley.gif

Balcony
10-06-2013, 16:05
In my little town in the UK we have had a spate of robberies in the area and almost meet with disinterested police - they can't give you a police no. fast enough so you go! So we have set up a website where suspicious activity can be reported, no matter how trivial. We had hoped police would join the club so they could see what people are finding. Joining?...too much like hard work for them! Amazon do some wonderful baseball bats.

DJ Dangerous
10-06-2013, 17:21
The more it's brought out into the open the sooner something will be done.

Nah, that won't do **** all, really.

I would consider the time spent reporting it to the police as an INVESTMENT, not a cost...

Might be easier to bitch about it here, but I doubt the cops are reading this.

And the cops are doing nothing?

"Their screams alerted an off-duty local policeman from Santa Cruz, who chased the man, and with the help of a couple of Arona local police officers managed to subdue him"

I think that the police, on or off duty, are definitely not doing nothing...

Quote taken from here (http://www.*************.com/news/la-palma-man-goes-beserk-and-attacks-5-women-after-failed-robbery-in-playa-de-las-vistas-area.html).

seanocelt
10-06-2013, 17:25
A Puerto Colon bar owner got robbed of his Iphone leaving work last week-he just put on Facebook they tried again last night and he punched the thief who fled. He is saying his area is a no-go at night now, asking how is he to attract people down there with this situation.

primrose
10-06-2013, 18:10
Nah, that won't do **** all, really.

I would consider the time spent reporting it to the police as an INVESTMENT, not a cost...

Might be easier to bitch about it here, but I doubt the cops are reading this.

And the cops are doing nothing?

"Their screams alerted an off-duty local policeman from Santa Cruz, who chased the man, and with the help of a couple of Arona local police officers managed to subdue him"

I think that the police, on or off duty, are definitely not doing nothing...

Quote taken from here (http://www.*************.com/news/la-palma-man-goes-beserk-and-attacks-5-women-after-failed-robbery-in-playa-de-las-vistas-area.html).

What on earth are you on about. Who is bitching on here, Members are stating facts and their experiences and you are saying that's bitching.? If my bitching? as you call it, by posting about my experience on this Forum has saved even one person from having to go through what we did then I consider that bringing my experience out into the open worthwhile.

candy2411
10-06-2013, 19:00
I was sorry for your bad experience, Primrose but appreciated the fact you told us about it. Forewarned is forearmed as they say and I would probably have regarded the area of Los Cristianos you mentioned as being quite safe, particularly in the middle of the afternoon.
How wrong can you be. Its made me realise you have to be on your guard everywhere, and all of the time.

I think the more people report these incidents the better even if it is only forum members reading it. Everyone tells their friends and neighbours so the word will spread.

who-r-ya
10-06-2013, 19:17
In my little town in the UK we have had a spate of robberies in the area and almost meet with disinterested police - they can't give you a police no. fast enough so you go! So we have set up a website where suspicious activity can be reported, no matter how trivial. We had hoped police would join the club so they could see what people are finding. Joining?...too much like hard work for them! Amazon do some wonderful baseball bats.

We have the same set up in our town, it works! and if you call the designated number they come quick!

macdonald5
11-06-2013, 09:39
A Puerto Colon bar owner got robbed of his Iphone leaving work last week-he just put on Facebook they tried again last night and he punched the thief who fled. He is saying his area is a no-go at night now, asking how is he to attract people down there with this situation.

This is exactly the reason we gave Puerto Colon bars a miss when there a couple of weeks ago, we knew first hand of a few robberies and 'near miss' in our own case
Business there is struggling enough without holidaymakers en masse going elsewhere (safer)

blondie
11-06-2013, 11:52
This is exactly the reason we gave Puerto Colon bars a miss when there a couple of weeks ago, we knew first hand of a few robberies and 'near miss' in our own case
Business there is struggling enough without holidaymakers en masse going elsewhere (safer)

I have totally given up hope of anything ever being done about the robberies , the police are obviously doing nothing about and the thieving scum know this. Like you macdonald , we never went near Porto Colon on our visit in April for that self same reason,it was so scary when we were there in January we only went that one night.We weredue out again a week ago but we could not face it. Its not a holidaay when you are watching your back , and its night and day now which makes it so much worse. Will let you know how we get on elsewhere.

jogger321
11-06-2013, 16:04
I have totally given up hope of anything ever being done about the robberies , the police are obviously doing nothing about and the thieving scum know this. Like you macdonald , we never went near Porto Colon on our visit in April for that self same reason,it was so scary when we were there in January we only went that one night.We weredue out again a week ago but we could not face it. Its not a holidaay when you are watching your back , and its night and day now which makes it so much worse. Will let you know how we get on elsewhere.

This is kind of fulfilling a prophecy is it not ?... I presume most people on here would know why the majority of hotels in the Caribbean offer All Inclusive only?

marbro8
11-06-2013, 17:36
This is kind of fulfilling a prophecy is it not ?... I presume most people on here would know why the majority of hotels in the Caribbean offer All Inclusive only?well the only way something will get done is if the bar owners get together and petition the police, or instead of employing pr's put the money towards some bouncers that could patrol the hot spots? maybe holidaymakers would feel safer to use the bars along there if there were someone watching out for them instead of just trying to get them in;)

candy2411
11-06-2013, 18:51
well the only way something will get done is if the bar owners get together and petition the police, or instead of employing pr's put the money towards some bouncers that could patrol the hot spots? maybe holidaymakers would feel safer to use the bars along there if there were someone watching out for them instead of just trying to get them in;)

well I think you've hit on a great idea there, marbro. Personally a PR would never persuade us to go to their bar if we hadn't planned to, and the more persistent a PR was would put us off even further!!

Now the presence of a bouncer or security would have the most profound effect on the whole area I would have thought.

warbey
11-06-2013, 20:02
Groups of 5 Lookie Men with Baseball Bats and Citizens Arrest.

They on regular earnings and a lot less thieving..

WIN WIN.....?

marbro8
11-06-2013, 20:03
well I think you've hit on a great idea there, marbro. Personally a PR would never persuade us to go to their bar if we hadn't planned to, and the more persistent a PR was would put us off even further!!

Now the presence of a bouncer or security would have the most profound effect on the whole area I would have thought.well thank you candy:wink2:, in walsall town centre near to where i live they have private security in most of the shops, to stop shop lifters , every one of them is in radio contact with each other , and when they see something going on or a known offender they let each other know, it works very well, and i was talking to one of the guards the other day and he said it had dramatically cut down on the amount of stock that was being pinched, they caught a romanian gang last week, 6 of them, and when the police and border officials came to pick them up they found that they were all illegals, and they are now waiting deportation:)

warbey
11-06-2013, 20:10
, , they caught a romanian gang last week, 6 of them, and when the police and border officials came to pick them up they found that they were all illegals, and they are now waiting deportation:)

And the Persons harbouring Them...?

They just get some more, Mate....

blondie
12-06-2013, 20:39
well the only way something will get done is if the bar owners get together and petition the police, or instead of employing pr's put the money towards some bouncers that could patrol the hot spots? maybe holidaymakers would feel safer to use the bars along there if there were someone watching out for them instead of just trying to get them in;)

Why did no one think of this before, sounds like a great idea but as someone said before dont think the Romanian mafia would be too keen on vigilantes.

marbro8
12-06-2013, 20:59
Why did no one think of this before, sounds like a great idea but as someone said before dont think the Romanian mafia would be too keen on vigilantes.it would depend on how hard the bounser's where?, if you are going to hire a bouncer you wouldn't hire a whimp:laugh:, but if you had about 6-7 bars all doing it together then you may stand a chance:dontknow:, but if word got about all over the island and 20-30 bars started to do it, and holidaymakers started flocking back to the affected bars then you never know:)

jogger321
12-06-2013, 23:48
well thank you candy:wink2:, in walsall town centre near to where i live they have private security in most of the shops, to stop shop lifters , every one of them is in radio contact with each other , and when they see something going on or a known offender they let each other know, it works very well, and i was talking to one of the guards the other day and he said it had dramatically cut down on the amount of stock that was being pinched, they caught a romanian gang last week, 6 of them, and when the police and border officials came to pick them up they found that they were all illegals, and they are now waiting deportation:)

Well of course come Jan 1st 2014 the border officials will not be interested as they will no longer be classified as illegals.

tfs1
14-06-2013, 09:35
fyi greater police presence in PDLA

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/39997/daily-news-article.html

Tshirt
14-06-2013, 15:33
But it needs to be on going not just for a couple of weeks say. Last week I was having a coffee at the back of La Pinta beach, there was the usual looky looky guys and the hair braiding girls knocking about. A policeman on his motor bike appeared and within seconds they'd all disappeared. The policeman went up the steps by Subway and was gone some time but his m/bike parked there still acted as a deterrent.

marbro8
14-06-2013, 17:54
fyi greater police presence in PDLA

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/39997/daily-news-article.htmlwow, does that mean that this forum has had an affect?

warbey
14-06-2013, 19:03
wow, does that mean that this forum has had an affect?

The Reporter refers to Forums reporting this Problem, so Yes, You are right.

Glad We were included.

Looks as if one or two appreciate Our well intentioned input....

marbro8
14-06-2013, 20:36
The Reporter refers to Forums reporting this Problem, so Yes, You are right.

Glad We were included.

Looks as if one or two appreciate Our well intentioned input....that is the best news i have read in a long time, and the fact that they may be clamping down on the street traders as well, at the end of the day we don't wish any harm on the likes of the looky looky men but they ain't half annoying when you are trying to have a conversation and they keep butting in,but if the spanish government are clamping down on illegal letting because of them not paying tax then they should put the same effort into stopping them:wink2:

Leam_Lin
14-06-2013, 21:30
We are in Puerto Colon area from Tuesday, we didn't have any problems in March/April but like JJ we could spot the the thieving b******s, some days we watched them arrive in a taxi but didn't actually see them 'working'

junglejim
15-06-2013, 10:51
The same article in Diario de Avisos - Adeje has "laws" against Time Share Touts and PR's as well - nice to see that's working too - cloud cuckoo land !
http://www.diariodeavisos.com/mayor-presencia-policial-reduce-carteristas-en-zona-turistica/

warbey
15-06-2013, 20:45
The same article in Diario de Avisos - Adeje has "laws" against Time Share Touts and PR's as well - nice to see that's working too - cloud cuckoo land !
http://www.diariodeavisos.com/mayor-presencia-policial-reduce-carteristas-en-zona-turistica/

Perhaps The Mayor knows the Law.

CONCLUSION.

He should get it Enforced !!!!!!

nicki2121
18-06-2013, 16:12
Its awful and Tenerife is such a lovely place that its a shame that these things spoil it.

I had my camera stolen from Las Vistas beach back in February (I saw earlier in the thread that Las Vistas beach was the worst) I was on my own with my son and walked 5 metres from my belongings to pick his bucket etc up, turned around and it was gone! Admittedly a bit stupid for walking away from it but somebody was clearly watching me, which is pretty unnerving!

Gutted as I lost all my holiday pics and a stack load of videos which didn't back up correctly! :-(

woolli
07-07-2013, 01:08
As always one of the "it wont happen to me", it just as.At approx 11.30pm my wife and myself was walking from Shambles towards Parque Margarita. Where the spare land is between Paramount and Parque Margarita my wife had her bag snatched. We give chase, and my wife said she could here someone hiding in the bushes. I proceeded to launch very large bricks in the bushes, at first one came running out, again I give chase, then another came out of the bushes, managed to smack him one, but obviously not hard enough. They run to the top of the wasteland were a car was waiting for them at the bottom of Los Seres. Most definately Romanians.
Went to the police station in Los Cris but was closed. The car was a very old red fiat type.
Can I report it online? Our biggest problem is the wifes phone was in the bag, and being self-employed, thats her business.
So, in a nutshell be very aware when walking past the wasteland just before Margarita.

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 06:57
As always one of the "it wont happen to me", it just as.At approx 11.30pm my wife and myself was walking from Shambles towards Parque Margarita. Where the spare land is between Paramount and Parque Margarita my wife had her bag snatched. We give chase, and my wife said she could here someone hiding in the bushes. I proceeded to launch very large bricks in the bushes, at first one came running out, again I give chase, then another came out of the bushes, managed to smack him one, but obviously not hard enough. They run to the top of the wasteland were a car was waiting for them at the bottom of Los Seres. Most definately Romanians.
Went to the police station in Los Cris but was closed. The car was a very old red fiat type.
Can I report it online? Our biggest problem is the wifes phone was in the bag, and being self-employed, thats her business.
So, in a nutshell be very aware when walking past the wasteland just before Margarita.

Woolli very sorry to hear about this, its all very sad but main thing is no one hurt but I don't suppose that's how you are looking at it just now. We are planning a trip to this very area in December so I better not show this to the Mrs we decided to try Los Cristianos this year due to what was going on with robberies in the area we normally stay:(

macdonald5
07-07-2013, 08:03
So sorry to read the Wooli,thankfully neither of you hurt though no doubt very upset and shaken
I don't suppose your wife has any chance of seeing her phone again ,what a blxxdy shame
Certainly as Angusjim says it makes our future holidays more thought provoking
Kind regards to you both

TOTO 99
07-07-2013, 08:20
Shocking story Woolli.

I've made that journey many times although thankfully nothing like this has ever happened. I won't do it again though.

Sadly, it does take it to happen to a forum member before it sinks in. Sorry you've both had to go through this.

Waking up in the sun every morning does not compensate for it as far as I'm concerned. I'm losing faith.

Bazz
07-07-2013, 09:02

Very sorry to hear this happened to you.
It's about time the police caught these thieving scumbags. I wonder are they even trying?

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 09:51
they do seem to be targeting this area :(

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 09:58

Peter we are coming over to this area December and we do enjoy a couple of lagers and a nice stagger home late on do you recommend taxis ? is this what Tenerife is coming too always thought it would be safe to wonder home enjoying my holiday not having to worry about being mugged, sign of the times !!

Leam_Lin
07-07-2013, 10:16
We returned home 2nd July after 2 weeks in the San Eugenio area, very aware day or night of any person getting close to us. We never heard or saw any muggings. The only thing we saw was a romainium with a screwdriver trying to 'do' the telephone box on the street outside Jardin Tropical one afternoon with people walking right next to him.

imablue
07-07-2013, 10:34
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Woolli.... hope it doesn,t put too much of a downer on your holiday ...

junglejim
07-07-2013, 11:04
Sorry to hear of your incident Woolli , you can phone in your denuncia in English they give you a reference number and go to police station next day to sign it(it's in Spanish) and see an officer - don't know if you need a crime number for insurance purposes .

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?24266-Guide-to-reporting-crime-in-Tenerife

Tshirt
07-07-2013, 11:48
Sorry to hear of your incident Woolli , you can phone in your denuncia in English they give you a reference number and go to police station next day to sign it(it's in Spanish) and see an officer - don't know if you need a crime number for insurance purposes .

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?24266-Guide-to-reporting-crime-in-Tenerife

That's exactly how it was for me last Xmas.

Sorry to hear your news Woolli, I know it's difficult at first but try and enjoy the rest of your holiday. It happened to me on the first day of my holiday, I just wanted to go back home.

obs
07-07-2013, 12:03
Woolli's not on holiday :tiphat: :)

candy2411
07-07-2013, 12:08
Thankyou for telling us Woolli, I'm sure we all appreciate you sharing the info, it makes everyone more aware and may prevent another incident in that area.Not much help to you I know , and really sorry it happened to you.

woolli
07-07-2013, 12:13
I wish you would of told us that yesterday pete!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Woolli.... hope it doesn,t put too much of a downer on your holiday ...
Im resident pal. Im sure it must be alot worse for holidaymakers if it happened to them

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 12:43

Im resident pal. Im sure it must be alot worse for holidaymakers if it happened to them

Its time the authorities did something to give us tourists some reassurance I think a step in the right direction would be some thing like tourist wardens similar to the community wardens in the UK at least people would feel safer seeing foot patrols around, would also provide some much need employment to locals.

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 13:05

I did...a few pages previous.

murph
07-07-2013, 18:47

Sorry to hear this Woolie

It's very worrying. My (late) Teenage kids often walk back to Cristian Sur from the Mirador bars past here and we will clearly have to take this into account this year.

Thanks for the heads up.

marbro8
07-07-2013, 19:01
yes sorry to hear that woolli:(, as if you hadn't had enough bad news these last few weeks,we walked past there nearly every night in may, but there were 4 of us and my wife specifically never carries a handbag, glad you got one in though and you both escaped injury, i think you can still use the telephone number again mate even though they stole the phone, my friend had his stolen in gran canaria last week and he was using his same number again a few days later, the only thing was he lost all his contact numbers, so he was glad that i rang him so that he could restore my number

woolli
07-07-2013, 19:39
yes sorry to hear that woolli:(, as if you hadn't had enough bad news these last few weeks,we walked past there nearly every night in may, but there were 4 of us and my wife specifically never carries a handbag, glad you got one in though and you both escaped injury, i think you can still use the telephone number again mate even though they stole the phone, my friend had his stolen in gran canaria last week and he was using his same number again a few days later, the only thing was he lost all his contact numbers, so he was glad that i rang him so that he could restore my number
Thanks pal. It was so random, it could have been anyone. My concern is older people walking there. It was so easy, and by the time my wife said she had her bag nicked, he was off. It was very well planned, as they had a car waiting at Los Seres.
This is not the end!

melm
07-07-2013, 19:44
Thanks pal. It was so random, it could have been anyone. My concern is older people walking there. It was so easy, and by the time my wife said she had her bag nicked, he was off. It was very well planned, as they had a car waiting at Los Seres.
This is not the end!

we are part of that older generation and I am now very wary of being out ourselves at night....what a sad world we live in.

Glad you were not hurt and you get them in the end

warbey
07-07-2013, 19:54
Sorry to hear this Woolli, and thanks for telling us.

Most posting on this Thread have either been robbed or know Someone who Has.

The only random thing is WHEN, because it's sure to happen in the Touristy Areas.

It's now beginning to look as if More than a few are considering going Elsewhere.

Who can blame Them.?

marbro8
07-07-2013, 20:28
Sorry to hear this Woolli, and thanks for telling us.

Most posting on this Thread have either been robbed or know Someone who Has.

The only random thing is WHEN, because it's sure to happen in the Touristy Areas.

It's now beginning to look as if More than a few are considering going Elsewhere.

Who can blame Them.?the thing is warbey what happened to the extra police presence that was promised in one of the early posts??? here's me thinking that some people on here are very cynical when the police say they are going to address the problem and others say i will believe that when i see it, turns out the cynics are right:(

warbey
07-07-2013, 20:41
Promises are no longer binding.

Ask any Politician...........

seanocelt
08-07-2013, 01:51
My wife passed that spot alone at night after closing a bar, no probs in 7 months. Thing is, they move around. Rumbled there now, they will no doubt find a new spot.

woolli
08-07-2013, 09:09
Sean, was talking to a resident of Los Seres, ans she tells us it happens every week, so by no means a isolated incident. As Peter Rayner stated in a previous post, this is were they have been operating for some time.
It was only 11.30pm when it happened, so I would presume they had already had there bait before your wife had locked up.

junglejim
08-07-2013, 10:02
I tend to agree with Woolli, they seem to recce a spot and use it regularly , I suppose on the assumption most targets are short term holiday makers .
Down at our end of San Eugenio it is always the same stretch up from Puerto Colon towards St Eugenes' or at side of Harleys where there are plenty of bushes and escape routes .
Previously the police could even tell us where they dumped the wallets and hand bags having been relieved of their valuables .

TOTO 99
08-07-2013, 10:11
You have to work out whether or not Woolli was unlucky, or are we indeed "running the gauntlet" every time we move around at night? If it's hapening on a weekly basis then I'm tempted to say the latter.

One thing's for sure, it's definitely not achieving the 5 star image that Tourismo are pushing so hard for.

Much larger night shift of police is required. If people don't feel safe, they'll stop coming, simple as that.

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 10:26
Tourism doesn't really control the Police nor the Laws

I suggest you lot get together and present them with some information if you feel the streets in Tenerife are unsafe.

TOTO 99
08-07-2013, 10:29
Tourism doesn't really control the Police nor the Laws

I didn't say that they did. Nothing stopping them working together though. Other than the fact that it's Tenerife!

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 10:40
I don't see what would be achieved if the Police worked along side Turismo.

Scoobee
08-07-2013, 12:52
Hi, I had problems with the police a month ago. If the police are getting 8 reports of robbery that would explain why they didin't want to know
when I reported my car stolen. I was 100% honest, not a good idea, they didin't believe me, what do the police do all day ?

Peterrayner
08-07-2013, 13:07
I suggest you lot get together and present them with some information if you feel the streets in Tenerife are unsafe.

There is no "feel" about it ! its happening. Who exactly are "you lot" ???

I wont be walking about at night on the streets of Los Cris anymore. :(

Malteser Monkey
08-07-2013, 13:29

I heard an ad on Oasis for the reopening of Murphy's bar Starco, quoting that it was now a security patrolled area

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 14:08

"You lot" are all the people who think it's unsafe and are concerned.

So get together and do something. Just like a lot of bar owners and residents did around Starco about 4-5 months ago

The National Police are there 24 hours a day now, either outside the pharmacy or San Raff Apartments.

Malteser Monkey
08-07-2013, 14:13
My question is has it made an improvement, is the area as busy - do people feel safer ?

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 14:19
In a nutshell

The gangs of Moroccan muggers, Romanian and west African putas have almost disappeared from that area, you just don't see them now at 5am waiting to mug.

The bar and shop owners have agreed it has had a position result.

San Raff Apartments were full of these people, The Nationals are harassing them so they move on, it's having a positive effect.

If it's a massive problem Peter then why when I mentioned i was going to the Police did only 3 people say anything

primrose
08-07-2013, 14:22

So get together and do something. Just like a lot of bar owners and residents did around Starco about 4-5 months ago

The National Police are there 24 hours a day now, either outside the pharmacy or San Raff Apartments.

If them lot-the Police- don't know how big the crime rate is in the south of Tenerife how on earth are we supposed to do anything,Starco is a small area, the crimes reported on here cover most of the Tourist areas in the South,and the muggings and pick pocketing posted about on this Forum are probably just the tip of the Iceberg. I for one will do something I will just stay in at night and if enough people do that perhaps before much longer it just might dawn on the Authorities that it is time they did something.

Angusjim
08-07-2013, 14:26

Mark am I reading this correctly that you want us the customers who holiday in Tenerife to contact the police ? surely this is something for businesses / turismo in Tenerife to address. The holiday makers have the option to sort it out by going elsewhere and that will happen unless they do something soon to alleviate holiday makers concerns.

Malteser Monkey
08-07-2013, 14:32
If them lot-the Police- don't know how big the crime rate is in the south of Tenerife how on earth are we supposed to do anything,Starco is a small area, the crimes reported on here cover most of the Tourist areas in the South,and the muggings and pick pocketing posted about on this Forum are probably just the tip of the Iceberg. I for one will do something I will just stay in at night and if enough people do that perhaps before much longer it just might dawn on the Authorities that it is time they did something.

But the tourists will come and go and be unaware of the situation, you can't expect them to sit in - if you try to warn them it will put them off coming - no win situation unless like Starco these areas have some kind of patrol in place seing as it works.

:Lots of people here at work and friends always ask me for advice about holidaying in Tenerife - I don't want to put them off - I want them to see the wonderful Island that it is - however I feel obliged to say be careful protect yourself, just like you would if you were going to London or any other tourist place.

Better to be forewarned and forearmed. It hasn't put anyone off yet

Good grief we get scared going to Rhyl up here, it's the only time I zip my bag ......en serio !

primrose
08-07-2013, 14:32
In a nutshell

The gangs of Moroccan muggers, Romanian and west African putas have almost disappeared from that area, you just don't see them now at 5am waiting to mug.

The bar and shop owners have agreed it has had a position result.

San Raff Apartments were full of these people, The Nationals are harassing them so they move on, it's having a positive effect.QUOTE

Wow 24 hour presence to protect them coming out of Clubs at 5 o'clock in the morning.What about the rest of the Tourist areas where they have moved to, no sign of any police round these areas.

[QUOTE=Malteser Monkey;300922]But the tourists will come and go and be unaware of the situation, you can't expect them to sit in - if you try to warn them it will put them off coming - no win situation unless like Starco these areas have some kind of patrol in place seing as it works.

:Lots of people here at work and friends always ask me for advice about holidaying in Tenerife - I don't want to put them off - I want them to see the wonderful Island that it is - however I feel obliged to say be careful protect yourself, just like you would if you were going to London or any other tourist place.

Better to be forewarned and forearmed. It hasn't put anyone off yet

Good grief we get scared going to Rhyl up here, it's the only time I zip my bag ......en serio !

But that is exactly what they are doing, staying in, and they are aware of the situation, Last week a woman was sat in a bar in front of Paloma Beach and a man walking past grabbed her bag off her knee and ran off with it, he was chased by some of the workers from the bars but he jumped in a car, do you really think people are not aware of things like that.

Malteser Monkey
08-07-2013, 14:44
But that is exactly what they are doing, staying in, and they are aware of the situation, Last week a woman was sat in a bar in front of Paloma Beach and a man walking past grabbed her bag off her knee and ran off with it, he was chased by some of the workers from the bars but he jumped in a car, do you really think people are not aware of things like that.

I feel I want to say well she obviously wasn't aware but that's stating the obvious, or has it just got so out of hand that there is no way to protect yourself against theft ?

Some people are naive - reading all of this has made me think that things have got considerably worse and it frightens me. Trouble is as a tourist (now) we go out and forget - you want to enjoy yourself not walk round every corner expecting to get mugged - oh well is it just me ?

In the 90's I was mugged twice in Las Americas area - and was on my toes with that sort of thing, and a lot younger !

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 14:44
Wow 24 hour presence to protect them coming out of Clubs at 5 o'clock in the morning.What about the rest of the Tourist areas where they have moved to, no sign of any police round these areas.

Obviously you didn't know what was going on around the Starco area then.

What areas are those then?

primrose
08-07-2013, 14:50
Obviously you didn't know what was going on around the Starco area then.

What areas are those then?

Read the posts.

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 14:53
No Police anywhere in the other Tourist areas.

Only 8 robberies a day in a village as big as Los Cristianos.

Is that something to worry about that you will not leave your house over?

primrose
08-07-2013, 15:00

Is that something to worry about that you will not leave your house over?

Did you not read the posts, or are you just selective and I didn't say I wouldn't leave the house I said I wouldn't go out at night.

golf birdie
08-07-2013, 15:08
Did you not read the posts, or are you just selective and I didn't say I wouldn't leave the house I said I wouldn't go out at night.

Most of the ones I've heard about are done in the daytime. 8 is only the ones reported, I would say the true figures are a lot higher.

Peterrayner
08-07-2013, 15:12
"They" do seem to be targeting the El MIrador strip area now and it is definitely NOT safe to be walking away form that area after dark ATM.

I think its for the business owners in that area to put pressure on the police for some sort of active presence IMHO

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 15:13

Is that something to worry about that you will not leave your house over AT NIGHT?

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 15:18
Just a question to woolli did you report this to the Police?......also if any members on here know of any problem areas then please go to the police station and report it to them......as much as people think the police are doing nothing they do have a tough job and they just don't sit around doing nothing. I know as I have said before a few cops here inTenerife and they are great lads who take their job very serious.
But what everyone needs to do is do their bit to help out....neighborhood watch seems a good thing in the UK why not start this up over here or something similar have a word with your president on your community.
We can all talk about how bad things are and pass the blame but as a community we should also do are bit rather than blaming the authorities and the police. We could also do with more people paying taxes rather than working on the side you know the ones as said before illegal taxi drivers or painters, cleaners bar workers because there are loads working here and not declaring anything yet expect this to be a safe island.
More taxes means more money to be spent on policing the place we all holiday or live in.
And let's help holiday makers by giving sound positive advice about staying safe...... for example if you go out for a beer or a meal is there really a need to take a hand bag that could draw attention to thieves or wearing lot's of gold.
I went to Barcelona a few weeks back (which was meant to be bad by all accounts yet when I went out I made sure I left my phone in the safe and put my spending money for my night out in four different pockets and of course I made sure I had my wits about me.
I still think things are a lot better then it used to be in Tenerife but let's not forget we are in a deep recession and times are hard which will bring out the worst in some people rather than looking for work it's easier to rob someone.

9PLUS
08-07-2013, 15:18
Most of the ones I've heard about are done in the daytime. 8 is only the ones reported, I would say the true figures are a lot higher.

Come on lets not speculate.

But if it's a lot higher, how on earth do they expect the Police to catch suspects on crimes that do not get reported?

Just a question to woolli did you report this to the Police?......also if any members on here know of any problem areas then please go to the police station and report it to them......as much as people think the police are doing nothing they do have a tough job and they just don't sit around doing nothing. I know as I have said before a few cops here inTenerife and they are great lads who take their job very serious.
But what everyone needs to do is do their bit to help out....neighborhood watch seems a good thing in the UK why not start this up over here or something similar have a word with your president on your community.
We can all talk about how bad things are and pass the blame but as a community we should also do are bit rather than blaming the authorities and the police. We could also do with more people paying taxes rather than working on the side you know the ones as said before illegal taxi drivers or painters, cleaners bar workers because there are loads working here and not declaring anything yet expect this to be a safe island.
More taxes means more money to be spent on policing the place we all holiday or live in.
And let's help holiday makers by giving sound positive advice about staying safe...... for example if you go out for a beer or a meal is there really a need to take a hand bag that could draw attention to thieves or wearing lot's of gold.
I went to Barcelona a few weeks back (which was meant to be bad by all accounts yet when I went out I made sure I left my phone in the safe and put my spending money for my night out in four different pockets and of course I made sure I had my wits about me.
I still think things are a lot better then it used to be in Tenerife but let's not forget we are in a deep recession and times are hard which will bring out the worst in some people rather than looking for work it's easier to rob someone.

I concur more legal holiday rentals.

x

TOTO 99
08-07-2013, 15:35
It should be said that if you are a resident you are less likely to be out as much as a holidaymaker. although I'm sure there are a few exceptions. The point has been made previously that basically "we're on holiday". We don't want to feel unsafe.

When the rose tinted glasses come off ( or are stolen ) it will be obvious to all that things are getting worse. If the police think that the baddies all stay home at night now because they're guarding Starco then they really are on par with the Keystone Cops.

I have no idea why I should be expected to join a campaign against street crime. They already have the numbers, what more do they need? I also agree that not much can be done by moaning on here but to be honest, without Woolli's post I would have carried on without hesitation. I no longer feel safe to do that.

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 16:01
I have no idea why I should be expected to join a campaign against street crime. They already have the numbers, what more do they need? I also agree that not much can be done by moaning on here but to be honest, without Woolli's post I would have carried on without hesitation. I no longer feel safe to do that.[/QUOTE]

It was only a idea and one I think could help...........but at the end of the day you do what you want to do. I have my niece here with 5 friends for a week and I have spent a good amount of time sharing with them the dos and don't s and happy to say they are having a great time and no problems so far. So I look at this way they will go back telling family and friends how nice and safe Tenerife is and they have had a great time.

Angusjim
08-07-2013, 16:23
I have no idea why I should be expected to join a campaign against street crime. They already have the numbers, what more do they need? I also agree that not much can be done by moaning on here but to be honest, without Woolli's post I would have carried on without hesitation. I no longer feel safe to do that.

It was only a idea and one I think could help...........but at the end of the day you do what you want to do. I have my niece here with 5 friends for a week and I have spent a good amount of time sharing with them the dos and don't s and happy to say they are having a great time and no problems so far. So I look at this way they will go back telling family and friends how nice and safe Tenerife is and they have had a great time.[/QUOTE]

But is that true some would beg to differ :confused:

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 16:40
Some have Jim you only have to read through the post.....but if my family have a good time and they are others come back to Tenerife then I will feel I have helped them stay safe.
We all know no matter where you are in this world be it on holiday or at home you will have crime it's always been the case and I guess it will always remain that way.
Just wish we could all live in a safe environment.

TOTO 99
08-07-2013, 16:41

It was only a idea and one I think could help...........but at the end of the day you do what you want to do. I have my niece here with 5 friends for a week and I have spent a good amount of time sharing with them the dos and don't s and happy to say they are having a great time and no problems so far. So I look at this way they will go back telling family and friends how nice and safe Tenerife is and they have had a great time.[/QUOTE]

I sincerely hope they do. I wouldn't wish it on anyone YG.

That said, tonight, someone's family will be hearing a different story.

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 16:50
It was only a idea and one I think could help...........but at the end of the day you do what you want to do. I have my niece here with 5 friends for a week and I have spent a good amount of time sharing with them the dos and don't s and happy to say they are having a great time and no problems so far. So I look at this way they will go back telling family and friends how nice and safe Tenerife is and they have had a great time.

That said, tonight, someone's family will be hearing a different story.[/QUOTE]

Yes your right so will someone in Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol , London (more than a few ) but the thing is how many people on here rather than just write about their stories actually go to the police station to report a crime....... not many I bet, the police need to be made aware of whats happening and the more reports they get the more chance they will act on it.
Where ever you have tourist you will have crime just look at London Barcalona etc the underground stations rife with pickpockets. Crime is everywhere.

golf birdie
08-07-2013, 17:00
Come on lets not speculate.

But if it's a lot higher, how on earth do they expect the Police to catch suspects on crimes that do not get reported?

x[/I]

I would not say I was speculating. If the police say they fined 100 people for speeding on the TF1 last week would you belive that 100 were the only ones speeding?

junglejim
08-07-2013, 18:02
Toto says
"It should be said that if you are a resident you are less likely to be out as much as a holidaymaker. although I'm sure there are a few exceptions. The point has been made previously that basically "we're on holiday". We don't want to feel unsafe. !"
I have had two attempts to pickpocket me but I was wise to what they were doing , my wife has had attempts on her bag at Los Cristianos Bus Stop , I have intervened in pickpocket attempts at San Eugenio as well as a woman in a group of 5 who was targeted in a drive-by bag snatch - all of these were long term holiday makers or swallows - feeling safe or unsafe shouldn't come into it !
I understand 9Plus's comment that all should be reported, but the police don't make it easy to complain , they were supposed to have a translator at the Comisaria that never appeared , three or four hours at the Police station is a further disincentive.
Our complex made the appropriate approaches a few years ago to Comisaria , Mayor and newspaper and nothing was seen to be done, not even the courtesy of a reply!
As I said previously , wrongly park your car and you are done in minutes !

TOTO 99
08-07-2013, 18:16
Sorry guys, the quotation thing is playing up so I haven't used it here.

JJ, I too understand the need for reporting etc. As you say, they don't make it simple so a lot would be put off.

But when you look at your own post from the outside, you twice, your wife once...that alone is a huge amount of crime for one couple to suffer. That was the point I was trying to make. If I was asked "are people at risk" then I would answer yes.

woolli
08-07-2013, 18:40
Hi Stuart, yes I did report it. I have sat in the police station today for three hours to do so. Perhaps that is why some people dont report it. While in there we spoken to an English couple who had thier wallet pick pocketed outside Paradise Park, a French girl had her bag snatched outside the Spar just down the road. Add to that our incident, thats 3 robberies within an hour and only a a few hundred yards from each other. Surely the Police should see a pattern there!

golf birdie
08-07-2013, 18:50
Hi Stuart, yes I did report it. I have sat in the police station today for three hours to do so. Perhaps that is why some people dont report it. While in there we spoken to an English couple who had thier wallet pick pocketed outside Paradise Park, a French girl had her bag snatched outside the Spar just down the road. Add to that our incident, thats 3 robberies within an hour and only a a few hundred yards from each other. Surely the Police should see a pattern there!

3 hours to report a crime in Tenerife is normal, sometimes its longer. Unless you need the report for insurance why would anyone go to the trouble when it has to be over 400€ to be classed as a crime? If everyone did report crime the wait would be many hours more. What wooli is saying here is what I have heard many times over the past 12 months which is why I know the real numbers are far higher than 8 a day.

delderek
08-07-2013, 19:06

That said, tonight, someone's family will be hearing a different story.

Yes your right so will someone in Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol , London (more than a few ) but the thing is how many people on here rather than just write about their stories actually go to the police station to report a crime....... not many I bet, the police need to be made aware of whats happening and the more reports they get the more chance they will act on it.
Where ever you have tourist you will have crime just look at London Barcalona etc the underground stations rife with pickpockets. Crime is everywhere.[/QUOTE]

No argument, all areas of crime. But little tiny Los Cris, and an even smaller forum with reports from members of incidents, could mean 10 or 20 times more crimes that are not on here. Now to me that's a worrying thing, in what is really a very small resort.

Peterrayner
08-07-2013, 19:33
No argument, all areas of crime. But little tiny Los Cris, and an even smaller forum with reports from members of incidents, could mean 10 or 20 times more crimes that are not on here. Now to me that's a worrying thing, in what is really a very small resort.

....................................:bowdown:

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 19:34
Los Cris has 1000,s of holiday makers everyday walking around and there will always be a opportunist waiting for a chance for easy pickings......but Tenerife is in general a safe place I don't know of any no go areas do you Del.?

golf birdie
08-07-2013, 19:44
Los Cris has 1000,s of holiday makers everyday walking around and there will always be a opportunist waiting for a chance for easy pickings......but Tenerife is in general a safe place I don't know of any no go areas do you Del.?

that is why it is so important to crack down early to keep it that way. Sweep it under the carpet and it will get worse.

Peterrayner
08-07-2013, 19:45

several !!

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 19:52
Sorry peter would you like to share this with us to where these areas might be.

warbey
08-07-2013, 20:49
Some have Jim you only have to read through the post.....but if my family have a good time and they are others come back to Tenerife then I will feel I have helped them stay safe.
We all know no matter where you are in this world be it on holiday or at home you will have crime it's always been the case and I guess it will always remain that way.
Just wish we could all live in a safe environment.

I do hope that's what happens and in common with ANY Visitor They stay safe.

Sooner or later, it may happen to a Member of Your Circle.

Perhaps You may then look at it differently.

This Problem needs Businesses help, to get more Done. Anyone who relies on Holidaymakers for Revenue

should realise this Hurts Them too, in the Long run.

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 21:15
It has happened to me before some twenty years ago house burgled my son's pushchair being toppled over as he ripped a handbag from it.....caught him and he got a seeing to.and this was some 18 years ago. But I think it was worst back then.

Peterrayner
08-07-2013, 21:43
Sorry peter would you like to share this with us to where these areas might be.

After dark no go areas

The Bus Station
Park Area behind Lewinskis bar
The Paseo down the side of the Brasero restaurant
Spar supermarket up to Paradise Park
Apolo Centre
The promenade behind the Sunday Market up to Arona Gran
The seafront at San Telmo

just to name a few

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 21:46
Thanks at least anyone reading this can stay away from these places.

delderek
08-07-2013, 21:52

Not exactly no go, but Oasis Del Sur/El Mirador general area seem to be getting a lot of problems, but of course this is where a lot of tourists are to be found, so probably a prime target.

marbro8
08-07-2013, 22:01
i think the next time i go out i will ask the establishments i frequent if i can run a tab up, and either pay them the next day or at the end of the week, we frequent them regularly so it shudn't be a problem:(, even though i have taken precautions since i had my pockets picked i still feel vunerable, and for the first time in 8 years i am regretting my booking in october:(

delderek
08-07-2013, 22:11

Unfortunately, that's a fairly large chunk of Los Cris that Peter has named.

candy2411
08-07-2013, 22:30
Such a shame this is happening in Tenerife but in all honesty don't let it get out of all perspective.

I've been over twice in the past two months and I've seen hundreds and hundreds of people all seeming to have a wonderful time.I personally have been lucky not to have experienced anything untoward, but I am never complacent and threads such as this have always alerted me to the possibility.

Let's be honest about this.How many feel comfortable in the Uk in most towns and cities after dark and in a vulnerable situation having had one drink too many .

marbro8
08-07-2013, 22:40
Such a shame this is happening in Tenerife but in all honesty don't get theget the what???:cheeky:

candy2411
08-07-2013, 22:43
get the what???:cheeky:

sorry, the forum playing up tonight!!! see prev post 220

Tom & Sharon
08-07-2013, 22:56
Everywhere in the world is dangerous now really. The days of leaving your door open and all that are long gone.

In the grand scheme of things, Tenerife is mild. It's hardly like walking round Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Rio de Janeiro is it? I can honestly say I've never been unnerved walking round in Tenerife at night. I wouldn't however, walk around Moss Side at night!

It's a big, bad world out there. If we go into Los Cristianos at night, I would only take a bag which I could wear across my shoulder, and Tom would carry any money and cards in his pocket. They're just necessary, realistic precautions. We'd do that wherever we were in the world at night, because that's just what you have to do. We don't worry about it, it's just a fact of life.

Yes, you can get mugged in Los Cristianos, PDLA or Manchester. Sad but true. In Tenerife though, it's still really only petty crime. Not nice if it happens to you, but it's silly to get it out of proportion. Just take sensible precautions. Tom worked in Brazil for a little while, and there are 50,000 murders a year there. We still went out at night though, but no way did I wear my jewellery!

Peterrayner
08-07-2013, 23:14

I wont be staying away but I will be a lot more careful in future. Broke my own rules and paid the price. Happily it was only money I lost don't intend to let it happen again. :)

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 23:18
Unfortunately, that's a fairly large chunk of Los Cris that Peter has named.
Yes it is ............but then again most places are the same not so safe when its dark.

seanocelt
09-07-2013, 00:47
2 years in El Mirador; 2 reports of incidents on the hill from the beach, to El Mirador. Zero reports of incidents at Parque Margarita. Until now.

3 months in Las Americas/Torviscas. 7 reports (2 detained) near Hotel Columbus.

No opinions, just facts that i can confirm.

slodgedad
09-07-2013, 01:15
2 years in El Mirador; 2 reports of incidents on the hill from the beach, to El Mirador. Zero reports of incidents at Parque Margarita. Until now.

Wow. Sounds like a real crime wave to me, Sean.

Angusjim
09-07-2013, 06:41

They could if they happen to know exactly where these areas are, hardly info that most holidaymakers will have.

But what about the facts that Woollie reported in a post earlier whist he had his 3 hour marathon at the police station 3 robberies with in 1 hour in the same area. And this brilliant piece of keeping crime statistics down that any theft of less than 400euros is not classed as a crime what's that about:confused:

Wow. Sounds like a real crime wave to me, Sean.

Not the feeling Peter Raynor & Woolie & others share about your flippant remark, there is obviously a trend starting that has to be addressed to give holiday makers peace of mind

Peterrayner
09-07-2013, 10:24
They could if they happen to know exactly where these areas are, hardly info that most holidaymakers will have.

But what about the facts that Woollie reported in a post earlier whist he had his 3 hour marathon at the police station 3 robberies with in 1 hour in the same area. And this brilliant piece of keeping crime statistics down that any theft of less than 400euros is not classed as a crime what's that about:confused:

Not the feeling Peter Raynor & Woolie & others share about your flippant remark, there is obviously a trend starting that has to be addressed to give holiday makers peace of mind

I dont want to scare anyone off going to Los Cris or over egg the situation.

Generally its a nice, safe and pleasant area. But like all tourist areas it attracts the chancers and villains. Its the same in any holiday destination.

However at present its best to be extra careful out there especially after dark. Walking home alone or vunerable couples are best taking a taxi home.

anto3
09-07-2013, 11:00
Went back to Dublin. I never saw so many druggies and scumbags in the city. Would not walk there after dark. I feel 100 per cent safe in Tenerife. If you lived in Dublin alone you would have to lock yourself in after 6pm. Many woman I know live in Tenerife alone and feel safe. But now they have to be aware a little more. Think you should not walk alone anywhere at night.

Albatros
09-07-2013, 11:06
Went back to Dublin. I never saw so many druggies and scumbags in the city. Would not walk there after dark. I feel 100 per cent safe in Tenerife. If you lived in Dublin alone you would have to lock yourself in after 6pm. Many woman I know live in Tenerife alone and feel safe. But now they have to be aware a little more. Think you should not walk alone anywhere at night.

Is that not the point several folk have been making.

They also felt 100% safe. The message seems to be 'Take care at all times'. No matter where you are. Letting your guard down makes you vulnerable to these opportunistic thieves.

junglejim
09-07-2013, 11:43
Peter says - "However at present its best to be extra careful out there especially after dark. Walking home alone or vunerable couples are best taking a taxi home. "
2 of the incidents I mentioned earlier took place in front of the Taxi Rank at St Eugene's and the Taxistas didn't want to know , the hand bag incident was during the day at a the busy LC bus station where they hang about waiting for an opportunity !
Same as the police used to patrol the bus stop at airport but that seems to have stopped now ?

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2013, 12:15
If you walk around in this day and age anywhere (not just Tenerife) day or night, and you're not on your guard, you're a target.

I'm just on my way out to Sainsbury's now, but I'll be holding on to my handbag the whole time. I'd be an idiot if I didn't. Sad fact maybe, but that's just the way it is.

I appreciate some people are more vulnerable than others, and being how Tom is not what you'd call small, I don't think we'd be at the top of a muggers list, but you still have to have your wits about you, whether you're in Tenerife or Timbuktu!

Jumpinjax
09-07-2013, 12:31
I have been reading this thread with great interest , and as a frequent visitor to Tenerife I will not be put off by this low - life.

I & my wife frequently take the walk from Los Cris up & past the Mirador Strip and in all the years I have visited Tenerife have never experienced or witnessed any such instances.

I am either lucky or the scum don't fancy a "Roll in the dust with me"

For the sake of a couple of Euro's ...TAKE A TAXI... They are plentiful & cheap!!

Better to be safe than sorry.

seanocelt
09-07-2013, 12:34
Awareness is the word. Many on here maybe missed/forgot the post i made 2 months ago asking for help for a man who was dipped and left with 5 euros; I said then AJ, he knew it was pointless going to the cops so didnt. It would be nice to think the more reports the more they would take action, but its just not going to happen. My friend got a bit of his ear bitten off and his daughters wrist broken by fighting back. The cops took action then as the robbers were detained at the scene, and victims got great compo too, but the snatchers that get away rarely get caught later, in fact i have even heard of them being part of an organised group who have "bosses" that cover them if caught. Not so simple saying stay away from certain places. Awareness .

Malteser Monkey
09-07-2013, 12:50
My bag was snatched opposite the Columbus and I was with my friend a black belt - if you are caught off guard it doesn't matter who you are or if you have had a few vinos yada yada yada

It's such a shame but that's how it has to be - these scum are calculated they know exactly what to do

primrose
09-07-2013, 12:52
If you walk around in this day and age anywhere (not just Tenerife) day or night, and you're not on your guard, you're a target.

I'm just on my way out to Sainsbury's now, but I'll be holding on to my handbag the whole time. I'd be an idiot if I didn't. Sad fact maybe, but that's just the way it is.

I appreciate some people are more vulnerable than others, and being how Tom is not what you'd call small, I don't think we'd be at the top of a muggers list, but you still have to have your wits about you, whether you're in Tenerife or Timbuktu!

Last night I went to the Police Station with somebody to report a lost Passport and to be fair to the Police we didn't have very long to wait but in the short time we were there, about half an hour 3 couples came in to report having bags stolen, and I would not say that in any way did they look vulnerable, all 3 couples said it had spoilt their holiday and didn't think they would return to Tenerife.
I also think a few of the posts on here are quite insulting to the people that have been mugged and robbed as if somehow it was their fault for not being aware and not holding their bag or daring to have money in their pockets,wise up it could happen to you just the same as the people it happened to.As for it being the same the world over,yes you are right but what has Rio, Moss side or Timbuktu got to do with Tenerife,this is the Tenerife Forum and we are talking about crime in Tenerife, it really doesn't matter what is going on in the rest of the World but if something isn't done about it here soon it will just escalate.It's because we care about what is happening to Tenerife that we post and reading Pererrayer's post about no go areas in a very small area that Holidaymakers use is very sad.

YOUNG GOLFER
09-07-2013, 13:03
Last night I went to the Police Station with somebody to report a lost Passport and to be fair to the Police we didn't have very long to wait but in the short time we were there, about half an hour 3 couples came in to report having bags stolen, and I would not say that in any way did they look vulnerable, all 3 couples said it had spoilt there holiday and didn't think they would return to Tenerife.
I also think a few of the posts on here are quite insulting to the people that have been mugged and robbed as if somehow it was their fault for not being aware and not holding their bag or daring to have money in their pockets,wise up it could happen to you just the same as the people it happened to.As for it being the same the world over,yes you are right but what has Rio, Moss side or Timbuktu got to do with Tenerife,this is the Tenerife Forum and we are talking about crime in Tenerife, it really doesn't matter what is going on in the rest of the World but if something isn't done about it here soon it will just escalate.It's because we care about what is happening to Tenerife that we post and reading Pererrayer's post about no go areas in a very small area that Holidaymakers use is very sad.

It's no ones fault they have been mugged or robbed.....but if you want to be extra safe then make sure you use the safe in the property or if staying in a hotel then use their safe. Make sure you take out insurance in case something happens.... Never carry your passport with you make sure it's the first thing you put into your safe once you arrive. When going out of a night time leave your gold and other expensive items in the safe. Do you really need to carry a handbag as this can draw attention. Try not to get too drunk when you are out......get a cab for the sake of a few euros. There are many things you can do to stay safe. But remember walking around with a handbag showing off your gold will for sure make you a target. And not forgetting iPads iPhones these too will draw attention to others and when changing money at the money exchange places make sure you check your money inside the shop and then put it in a safe place.....many times I have seen people changing money then walk out counting it for the whole world to see. Common sense will no doubt save you a lot of heartache .

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2013, 13:33
Last night I went to the Police Station with somebody to report a lost Passport and to be fair to the Police we didn't have very long to wait but in the short time we were there, about half an hour 3 couples came in to report having bags stolen, and I would not say that in any way did they look vulnerable, all 3 couples said it had spoilt there holiday and didn't think they would return to Tenerife.

Calm down Primrose :wink2::wink2:

I care about what people think of Tenerife too.

All I mean is that the world's a dangerous place. Unless you're going to holiday all alone on a desert island, then you're going to face the same dangers. And if you choose not to go on holiday at all, and stay at home, then the danger is still there. You can't avoid it. But you can take as many precautions as you can to minimise the risks. If you walk about with your head in the clouds like it's still 1954, then you could be in for a bit of a shock. You do see people doing daft things when you're out. Getting wallets bulging with cash out in a shop, iPhones hanging out of pockets, passports visible in top pockets, handbags hanging on the backs of chairs............

Now in an ideal world, you'd be able to do that, but Tenerife isn't Utopia and never will be, so you have to be vigilant. And even though you say it's not relevant, it is still very safe compared to other holiday destinations. It's a shame that Tenerife is getting a bit of a reputation for muggings and robberies, but will it stop people coming? In all reality, where else are they going to go? Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, Jamaica, Mallorca? What's the difference? Or stay at home in London, Birmingham, Manchester? They're not safe either.

cheery
09-07-2013, 15:10
If somewhere is getting a reputation it is up to the authorities to do something. Either disprove the stories by producing credible crime figures and arrest rates or put more police on the streets to stop whatever is happening. It is damaging the island's image and less money in the current climate is not something which should be glossed over. A downward spiral if neither of the above actions is taken. Rumours are a terrible thing and once they get going are difficult to stop.

murph
09-07-2013, 18:06
I don't see what would be achieved if the Police worked along side Turismo.

Signs could be put up in the area warning ''There are thieves operating in this area'' etc.

As suggested previously though, Tourismo wont like it!

melm
09-07-2013, 18:20
If somewhere is getting a reputation it is up to the authorities to do something. Either disprove the stories by producing credible crime figures and arrest rates or put more police on the streets to stop whatever is happening. It is damaging the island's image and less money in the current climate is not something which should be glossed over. A downward spiral if neither of the above actions is taken. Rumours are a terrible thing and once they get going are difficult to stop.

Mud sticks and i fear for the reputation of Los Cristianos. Last summer an elderly friend of my sister was mugged ....her first day in the resort.....handbag stolen and a broken arm to add insult to injury. my sister was going to book a holiday there until her friend begged her not to. Needless to say she went elsewhere:sorry:

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2013, 18:40
Mud sticks and i fear for the reputation of Los Cristianos. Last summer an elderly friend of my sister was mugged ....her first day in the resort.....handbag stolen and a broken arm to add insult to injury. my sister was going to book a holiday there until her friend begged her not to. Needless to say she went elsewhere:sorry:

Just out of interest then, where did she go?

melm
09-07-2013, 18:46
she went to La Arena and had a lovely time. she has been to Cristianos several times and always liked it but when she saw her friend with a broken arm and extensive bruising on her face ........need i say more.

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2013, 19:00
she went to La Arena and had a lovely time. she has been to Cristianos several times and always liked it but when she saw her friend with a broken arm and extensive bruising on her face ........need i say more.

Oh so she still came to Tenerife then. Glad it didn't put her off completely!

melm
09-07-2013, 19:05
Oh so she still came to Tenerife then. Glad it didn't put her off completely!

didnt put her off Tenerife its a good place for an out of season holiday........weather wise. But Los Cristianos is now off her list as it is mine after that old ladies terrible experience. How many people did that lady share her experience with and how many acted like my sister. Mud sticks i'm afraid.

celine
09-07-2013, 19:48
I cant believe what im reading,we are so close to achieving our dream of early retirement I can smell the sea air.and feel the sand beneath my feet
why is this happening now.?.
Is my families and other families dreams turning into nightmares?
over the last year we have put a lot of planning into our dream
we have rented a long term apartment have booked another 3 stays
this year up to and including Christmas..(payed for the apartment but not stayed in it yet..lol)
and my husband is booked onto a retirement seminar prior to giving in his notice
**now I find out we are staying on one of the streets named and shamed for crime..brilliant!!**
(this definatly wont be good for my nerves)
I cant find anyone to bring the dog over for less than a grand
and all the ones ive called only bring her out but not take her back if needed
they want hundreds of pounds for medical insurance and there is nothing wrong with me .(.yet)
I agree that England is finished as we know it
(and I feel like a female version of victor meldrew at times)
but even if I wouldn,t go out walking at night in London,,,
but..
I coming over to retire ..I,d like the odd drink now and again and visit the bars with karioki so I can reminiss as they sing the old songs
we hav,nt had much of a life as we have brought up 7 children and my husband had done shiftwork for 35 years so we havn,t realy had a social life
we wanted the last few years of our life to be fairly calm. take a walk , buy a car visit all over the island
now all I can invisage is getting mugged ,robbed or traumatised
do we carry on and to hell with the scum or do we let them win and another family doesn,nt come out..
do we set our sights on spending our retiring to cricklewood..?god help us

golf birdie
09-07-2013, 19:57
I cant believe what im reading,we are so close to achieving our dream of early retirement I can smell the sea air.and feel the sand beneath my feet
this year up to and including Christmas..(payed for the apartment but not stayed in it yet..lol)
and my husband is booked onto a retirement seminar prior to giving in his notice
**now I find out we are staying on one of the streets named and shamed for crime..brilliant!!**
they want hundreds of pounds for medical insurance and there is nothing wrong with me .(.yet)
but..
I coming over to retire ..I,d like the odd drink now and again and visit the bars with karioki so I can reminiss as they sing the old songs
we hav,nt had much of a life as we have brought up 7 children and my husband had done shiftwork for 35 years so we havn,t realy had a social life
we wanted the last few years of our life to be fairly calm. take a walk , buy a car visit all over the island
do we carry on and to hell with the scum or do we let them win and another family doesn,nt come out..

the chances of being a victim of crime are very slim, this is not to say it does not happen and imo it is worse now than a year ago. They just need to crack down and crack down hard and the problem will be a lot smaller.

celine
09-07-2013, 19:58
just a post note..
many ,many years ago I know that los cristianos was rumoured "to have a few gangsters staying up in the hills"
(I never knew if this was true as the only holiday you can have have with 7 kids is a caravan at the sea side...and im still having therapy for the trauma of these stays with 9 of us wedged in a caravan and this was years ago..lol)
if this was true was there not an unwritten law that people "didn,t cross the line ect"?
ie mugging ,bag snatching ect.?
or am i reading too many books?

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2013, 20:09
but..

Don't be silly, it's not that bad! How safe is Cricklewood for goodness sake?

Never say never, but we've been round that area many, many times and never seen a sniff of trouble. No one wants to be mugged, of course they don't, but just take sensible precautions and minimise your risks. You'll have to do that wherever you retire to.

I think it's getting a little out of perspective. There are 2.5 million visitors to Tenerife annually. Most of those go home totally unscathed.

just a post note..
many ,many years ago I know that los cristianos was rumoured "to have a few gangsters staying up in the hills"
(I never knew if this was true as the only holiday you can have have with 7 kids is a caravan at the sea side...and im still having therapy for the trauma of these stays with 9 of us wedged in a caravan and this was years ago..lol)
if this was true was there not an unwritten law that people "didn,t cross the line ect"?
ie mugging ,bag snatching ect.?
or am i reading too many books?

And yes, you're reading too many books!

warbey
09-07-2013, 20:23
- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -[/COLOR]

Going by what's posted on this Thread, and how many have experienced it,

I honestly think You would have a job to prove that Statement..

Yes most will return, but will look elsewhere too. Who can blame Them.?

Tom & Sharon
09-07-2013, 21:30
Strangely enough, this article just popped up on my Facebook

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/16151/1/Plucky-pensioner-robbed-of-handbag/Page1.html

It happens all the time. Doesn't matter where you are!