PDA

View Full Version : Health EU raps Spain over European Health Card.

Albatros
30-05-2013, 11:41
The EU has asked Spain to explain their refusal of the European Health Card at many hospitals.

BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22712790)

Canarian Weekly
31-05-2013, 13:00
        Some hospitals in Spain have been refusing to accept the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as a result the European Commission has launching a legal action. As you will be no doubt aware the EHIC entitles an EU citizen to free healthcare in a public hospital, the equivalent of the countries [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/ehics-accepted-spain/)

Javi
01-06-2013, 19:11
Hello!

British seem to be very happy with this initiative from EU, me too. However, they are not so happy when it comes to offer the same treat in terms of health care to those who are not British but living in GB (not only tourist). At least, BBC news is fair about this issue and in recognizing that GB is also failing.

Be a holder of an European card doesn't mean you do have all doors open...there are some exceptions that applied and that would be worthwhile to know them before criticising the system.

Albatros
01-06-2013, 19:22
Hello!

British seem to be very happy with this initiative from EU, me too. However, they are not so happy when it comes to offer the same treat in terms of health care to those who are not British but living in GB (not only tourist). At least, BBC news is fair about this issue and in recognizing that GB is also failing.

Be a holder of an European card doesn't mean you do have all doors open...there are some exceptions that applied and that would be worthwhile to know them before criticising the system.

Isn't there the opposite problem in the UK? Folk are getting treatment without having a national insurance number etc. Very few charge backs are taking place.

Angusjim
02-06-2013, 07:59
Isn't there the opposite problem in the UK? Folk are getting treatment without having a national insurance number etc. Very few charge backs are taking place.

We are far to soft with everything, message seems to be come to the UK for handouts we are the soft touch of Europe.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Javi
02-06-2013, 08:34
Albatros, sorry but I disagree. As far as I know, in GB things look pretty much the same than here. The point of my thead was bring to your attention that EHCI does not fit for all purposes and ask members for contrasting information before getting at an entire system.

Every citizen in every country has the same perception..."our country is a NGO", the getting-too-much-for-nothing approach. Media feeds that perception.

This link provides good information about EUIC. http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Please, listen carefully till the end the report on the link that you mentioned above (your first post). It states (after minute 1.50) that according with EU, The UK is also breaking the law.

I am not trying to weigh the UK breaches against Spain's breaches. I'd just like to see a bit more of realistic and objectiveness in this thread.