PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones What's the best local SIM card for pay as you go including Internet?

SparklySkies
02-06-2013, 17:18
Hello, I'm moving to Las Americas area next week and planning on taking my unlocked Iphone.

Need some advice on how to get my phone working over there cheaply. Any local shops
which will sell me a SIM only to get started with texting, calls and hopefully
internet data? Any idea of the costs. I'd rather not have any contract.

Any help would be appreciated :spin:

Thanks

slodgedad
02-06-2013, 17:39
Click HERE (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?91-Television-Internet-and-Telecommunications-in-Tenerife&prefixid=tele_mobile) for other threads on the same subject

essexeddie
02-06-2013, 18:17
The only place I would trust is the Electric shop in Arona Grande, LC. He's very helpful and speaks eleven languages

poker
02-06-2013, 21:29
I have a movistar pay and go and pay 3€ per week for internet for the moment it works fine for me .
For deatails look on their website .

slodgedad
03-06-2013, 01:18
I have a movistar pay and go and pay 3€ per week for internet for the moment it works fine for me .
For deatails look on their website .
That seems awfully cheap for Tenerife. What exactly do you get for your 3 euros?

SparklySkies
03-06-2013, 09:02
Ok great thanks, yes 3 Euros sounds cheap! I will check out the website.

poker
03-06-2013, 09:03
That seems awfully cheap for Tenerife. What exactly do you get for your 3 euros?

Surf the internet without limits

With the Flat Rate Internet 3 can navigate seamlessly to your mobile and the first 100MB per week at maximum speed. All this for only 3 € / week.

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/movil/tarifas-tarjeta/ficha/tarifa-plana-internet-3

essexeddie
03-06-2013, 13:55
I am surprised at Moviestar. As I used to be with them PAYGo and their calls and Txts were very expensive, That's why I changed. I think each Txt was 80cents.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I am with Orange in UK
250mb of internet, 2hrs of calls and 500txts all for £7 per month.
Trouble is, use it abroad and its out of its package. So I have a Tenerife phone while I'm here.

poker
03-06-2013, 15:00
I am surprised at Moviestar. As I used to be with them PAYGo and their calls and Txts were very expensive, That's why I changed. I think each Txt was 80cents.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -.

Use skype and watsup on the 3 euro deal , no problem .
They can keep the 80 cents txt messages . :D

angiebabes
03-06-2013, 17:35
Get a HITS SIM card, so cheap, English service, very good

SparklySkies
07-06-2013, 17:30
Thanks. I arrive on Tuesday I will ask about the 2 options...

tfs1
08-06-2013, 15:19
I think for phoning the UK you still cant beat a LycaMobile.ES SIM, their call rates are pretty good and far better than a Lebrara card a friend got - he was told it was the cheapest SIM to get and use. Not true when you compare it to the Lyca.

Lyca currently 5c/min +30c connection charge (+IGIC) to UK landline and you don't pay to get a balance from your phone !

HITS looks pretty good, 3c/min +35c connection charge + IGIC of course ! but their SMS (29c) is much more expensive than Lyca (16c), I would rather talk anyway !

poker
08-06-2013, 15:56
I think for phoning the UK you still cant beat a LycaMobile.ES SIM, their call rates are pretty good and far better than a Lebrara card a friend got - he was told it was the cheapest SIM to get and use. Not true when you compare it to the Lyca.

Lyca currently 5c/min +30c connection charge (+IGIC) to UK landline and you don't pay to get a balance from your phone !

HITS looks pretty good, 3c/min +35c connection charge + IGIC of course ! but their SMS (29c) is much more expensive than Lyca (16c), I would rather talk anyway !

We are talking internet connection here.
If you have that you can skype free .

Dident yet see anything that could beat the 3 euro per week price for unlimited internet and no contract .

tfs1
08-06-2013, 16:28
We are talking internet connection here

Just seen the complete title of the thread - oops !

Taylor
08-06-2013, 19:10
Lebara is pretty good also.....slightly higher cost than Hits and Lyca but they have been running 100% top up deals for a while buy 10 euro get 20.... calls are pretty cheap to Landlines in Tenerife and Uk after 30c connection, good Customer service.

SparklySkies
09-06-2013, 21:31
Surf the internet without limits

With the Flat Rate Internet 3 can navigate seamlessly to your mobile and the first 100MB per week at maximum speed. All this for only 3 € / week.

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/movil/tarifas-tarjeta/ficha/tarifa-plana-internet-3

Poker.. just been looking into this option, it seems the best for me. I will be using my phone mainly for internet, as like you say, once you have that you can use whatsapp and e-mail to communicate back home. Will only send the odd text/make the odd call.

I can only see a branch in Puerto de la Cruz, would you happen to know if I can get this sorted nearby Americas? Any shops selling this sim??

SparklySkies
09-06-2013, 21:34
Can I set up this Movistar 3$ deal in any shop around Americas?? I can only see a Movistar branch in P.D.L.Cruz.

slodgedad
10-06-2013, 00:41
Can I set up this Movistar 3$ deal in any shop around Americas?? I can only see a Movistar branch in P.D.L.Cruz.
I know nothing about the deal but there are Movistar shops everywhere in the south.

Movistar/ Telefonica are the equivalent of BT in the UK. (the biggie)

murph
10-06-2013, 01:41
Also set up an account with Viber before you go over.

Whenever you have Wi-Fi (free in many bars and other establishments these days), you can call and Text for free to others who also have Viber and Wi-Fi.

SparklySkies
12-06-2013, 15:40
So I've just arrived in Las Americas... had a good walk around today but didn't see any 'Movistar' shop. Where is the best place to set up a Movistar sim pay as you go with the 3 Euro internet deal? I am starying at the Caribe Apts.

SparklySkies
13-06-2013, 16:39
So I got sorted out at the Movistar shop down the road from the Catalonia Oro Negro Hotel. Lady with long curly hair very helpful. Texts quite expensive but great 3Euro deal for internet...

tfs1
13-06-2013, 16:47
SparklySkies,

Is it pay as you go Internet, how does it work ?, do you have to sign up for a minimum period and give bank account details etc, how do you top-up ? what do you get for 3€, can you setup online account to see activity/usage etc etc ?

Ta

Just looked at the website so I can hopefully answer my questions from there rather than waste your time !

SparklySkies
13-06-2013, 17:21
Hi TFS1.

It took around 10 mins for the lady to fill in forms and set it all up but no, didn't have to give any bank details it's simply pay as you go. Just needed a signature. Paid 12 Euros for the SIM card which included some credit. Basically Movistar will automatically take 3 Euros from your credit each week which gives u unlimited mobile internet usage (the first 100mb at fast speed). Texts to UK are 60cebts and texts to other Movistar sims are 15cents. This is about as much as I know... so far so good. Oh and apparently I can top up at most minimarts, shops and Movistar shops u just need to give them your phone number and say its Movistar (hmm, yet to try this out).

tfs1
13-06-2013, 19:44
sparklyskies,

good info - many thanks. Do you use these sims only in mobiles or can they be used in a dongle that you plug into a laptop - I presume it makes no difference but not being of the generation that knows the answer to these kind of things I though I better ask, even if its a dumb question !

when they talk about 'high speed' did they advise what this really is and after 100mb what the speed you get ?

TFS1

thanks

SparklySkies
13-06-2013, 21:07
sparklyskies,

good info - many thanks. Do you use these sims only in mobiles or can they be used in a dongle that you plug into a laptop - I presume it makes no difference but not being of the generation that knows the answer to these kind of things I though I better ask, even if its a dumb question !

when they talk about 'high speed' did they advise what this really is and after 100mb what the speed you get ?

TFS1

thanks

Hmmm I think u can just use it in a mobile but I'm not 100%. Coz I know you can use 'SIM' cards in dongle things also but like you, I don't know much about all that. On a laptop I think 100MB would be used up very quickly though?

It doesn't say what speed, I just had a look on the website it just states 'maximum speed' whatever that may be.

kez1000
13-06-2013, 22:50
They usually drop to around 128kbps, or a quarter of a megabit in new money speak.

melm
14-06-2013, 19:07
sparklyskies,

TFS1

thanks

I have a Movistar dongle for my laptop. Had it now for several years and it cost around 39euro with some usage on it. It used to cost 20e for one week now it is 20e for one month and the speed is really good. I only use it when I visit Tenerife in the winter and when I leave I give the shop keeper 5euros to keep my number active.......hope this makes sense. I was really impressed with the speed this winter it allowed me to watch some UK television on my laptop.

albasabina
24-06-2013, 02:34
Please!!!

PEPEPHONE FOREVER!!: 1'2 GB per month and 0'6 cents national calls (cell and fix phones). - 9 euros per month. (in my point of view)
IF YOU TALKS A LOT: YOIGO: 1 GB per month and illimitate national call (cell and fix phones) - 30@ per month