PDA

View Full Version : Tax Deduction of VAT from goods sent from the UK

Faraway
05-06-2013, 10:38
Does anyone know the process of deducting VAT from goods ordered and sent by post from the UK? I know Amazon now do it automatically but what about smaller firms, is it a difficult process? Does it cost them money to deduct VAT? etc. I have just ordered something from the UK and they flatly refuse to deduct the VAT. As this is a first I was quite surprised...... thanks

delderek
05-06-2013, 11:43
Does anyone know the process of deducting VAT from goods ordered and sent by post from the UK? I know Amazon now do it automatically but what about smaller firms, is it a difficult process? Does it cost them money to deduct VAT? etc. I have just ordered something from the UK and they flatly refuse to deduct the VAT. As this is a first I was quite surprised...... thanks

It doesn't cost the supplier anything in theory, but the paperwork required by HMRC to prove that an item has been exported can be a nightmare. No problem for companies that export a lot, as they would have accounts procedures in place. But to small companies it is not worth the hassle.