PDA

View Full Version : Employment Advice wanted on working in the Tourism Sector e.g. Thomas Cook.

SparklySkies
07-06-2013, 21:04
Hey guys (sorry another annoying post asking about the work situation!)...

So I've read ALOT of posts, opinions, facts on here about the poor work situation at the moment... very interesting reads... it does read VERY negative but it's better hopefuls read how things really are! eek2:

I'm moving to south Tenerife in the next few months regardless... I'm lucky/wise enough to have funds to support me and have NO commitments NO dependants etc.

I lived and worked in Cyprus through some very bad times (can it BE worse than Cyprus at moment lol?) and know how annoying it is when people say "I wish I could life abroad your so lucky" but they just do not understand how different it is living and not 'holidaying'! I get that.

Anyway, my questions... I haven't seen anything about working for the tour operators e.g. Thomas Cook, Thomson... reps, transfer reps, admin etc. Any potential here?? I have a background in travel and tourism but do not speak Spanish rolleyes2: but hoping to learn. I know you are supposed to apply from the UK but surely they do still take on Brits who already live / settled in Tenerife?! Do any British tour operators have big offices in south Tenerife?

While I'm rambling I would also like to ask about the adverts I keep seeing about 'Telemarketing' work in Las Americas. Is this a con? Has anybody tried this? I'm assuming it's timeshare and based on commission? Does any decent call centre work exist in south Tenerife???

Good day to y'all

:wave: :wave: :wave:

junglejim
08-06-2013, 09:15
There are Tour operators offices in various areas but most people speak at least Spanish if not more languages .
The telemarketing are genuine jobs selling various products such as Telephone /Tv packages , Insurance , warranties as well as timeshare -I have a friend who does well at the TV packages -basic plus commission.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?12432-I-need-a-contact-number-for-Thomson-Holidays-offices-in-Tenerife

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?26342-British-reps-wanted&p=293396#post293396