PDA

View Full Version : Mayor slams hotel demolition decision

slodgedad
30-05-2011, 15:38
Granadilla - 30.05.2011 -

Outgoing Granadailla mayor Carmen Nieves Gaspar has made her strongest condemnation yet of plans to knock down the El Medano Hotel to make way for a new promenade.

The demolition was ordered some time ago by the Ministry of the Environment in Madrid but has triggered major local opposition, including from the council. 'I can't see why they want to pull this and 13 houses down allegedly to protect the shoreline, yet at the same time they are willing to destroy much of that shoreline for a new port a short disatcne away' said the mayor in widely-publicised comments at the week-end.

Gaspar added that the promenade proposed on the site of the hotel will be unusable on many days due to the strong winds that characterise el Médano, which is "a surfers' paradise".

Island Connections (http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/33061/daily-news-article.html)

doreen
30-05-2011, 17:08
There's a good photo here for those that do not know the hotel

http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2011/05/25/tenerife/sur/algo-mas-que-un-hotel-sobre-el-mar

Loaded
30-05-2011, 17:17
It's crazy to knock that hotel down, they should be helping regenerate the hotel - it's a focal point of El MEdano and was built before the law came in. UNFAIR.COM!

bonitatime
30-05-2011, 19:11
It has been on the acrds for so long. It is a shame as it has been there a long time before the laws were changed and it became ilegal.

jas
14-07-2011, 16:33
could not agree more!

the village of el medano is picturesque to the point of being quaint. the vast majority of the old town was built because of the hotel. How can it be legal logically to to apply a newer law retroactively.

how is a new promenade legalised under this law

how can an unwanted port, controversial to say the very least, be legalised under this law

i am beginning to think in my much beloved island that not all is well here

Margaretta
14-07-2011, 19:35
Jas, there was a lot of talk about this earlier in the year I think. Apparently the owners lease is up and planning permission was not as it should have been for the 'conservatory'.
I love that hotel and if in the UK, as a 1930's-style building it would probably be listed. I also think it acts as a great windbreak and the little bars and promenade beyond would be whooshed by the wind if it wasn't there. It makes an interesting division and it's not an eyesore. Why can't it be seen that it is an amazing asset to this remarkable and unique town?
If we are sitting upstairs facing the little bay I don't want the mint decorating my Mojito to be blown away....:eek:

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 19:39
Jas, there was a lot of talk about this earlier in the year I think. Apparently the owners lease is up and planning permission was not as it should have been for the 'conservatory'.
I love that hotel and if in the UK, as a 1930's-style building it would probably be listed. I also think it acts as a great windbreak and the little bars and promenade beyond would be whooshed by the wind if it wasn't there. It makes an interesting division and it's not an eyesore. Why can't it be seen that it is an amazing asset to this remarkable and unique town?
If we are sitting upstairs facing the little bay I don't want the mint decorating my Mojito to be blown away....:eek:

You beat me to it - I was just going to post that it's also useful as a windbreak. :)

Su1
14-07-2011, 23:43
Same thoughts here, it will be so so windy with out the hotel.....

timmylish
15-07-2011, 00:20
Having used Medano for over 20 years I am also very unhappy at the intended demolition of the Hotel. However, if its not safe or could be construed to being unsafe, well we would all be screaming if there was a death or serious injury to a Brit holidaying there. No question about it. Its going unless some benefactor can be found, and soon!

Margaretta
27-07-2011, 18:52
Timmylish, I may be incorrect but I'm not sure that the building is unsafe. It has run out of lease time, is illegal and those who think they know, say that it destroys the view of the bay.
It's 1930's style curves enhance the bay in my opinion.