PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted Looking for bar to rent

mossyboy
12-06-2013, 10:50
Hi

We are a couple in the licensed trade in the UK looking to dip our toes in the overseas bar trade so thought renting a bar to start with would be the ideal solution.

Does anybody know where to start looking for bars to rent. Trawled the net on Spanish businesses but not seen anything of interest yet. Maybe coming out to Tenerife and speaking to local agents and bar owners might be a better idea? I must admit, I thought there would be a lot more on offer for rent than the few we have seen online.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

TenerifeTeddy
12-06-2013, 11:06
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
I am sure you will get a lot of replies like this, but please be very careful.
There are hundreds of bars in Tenerife with their trespaso for sale, but you have to ask yourself very carefully why they are available in the first place.

You will be offered numerous bars, and it will be extremely easy to lose a large amount of money. There are far more loss making bars than good profitable ones, and you can guarantee it is the loss making ones that will be readily available.

Please contact TIS or Young Golfer here on the forum for unbiased advice.

I don't want to be negative, but buying a bar is probably the single easiest way to lose money in Tenerife, unless you get the right bar, in the right place at the right price.

mossyboy
12-06-2013, 11:26
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
I am sure you will get a lot of replies like this, but please be very careful.
There are hundreds of bars in Tenerife with their trespaso for sale, but you have to ask yourself very carefully why they are available in the first place.

You will be offered numerous bars, and it will be extremely easy to lose a large amount of money. There are far more loss making bars than good profitable ones, and you can guarantee it is the loss making ones that will be readily available.

Please contact TIS or Young Golfer here on the forum for unbiased advice.

I don't want to be negative, but buying a bar is probably the single easiest way to lose money in Tenerife, unless you get the right bar, in the right place at the right price.

Hi Teddy

Thanks so much for the advice and yes I agree with everything you said. Hopefully just renting a bar to start with will help with some of those problems. We were thinking maybe someone has a decent bar and just wants a break for 6 months or a year or something like that and we get a taster of things to come.

Chris

garlicbread
12-06-2013, 14:23
How to make a small fortune??

Come to Tenerife with a big one and buy a bar.:nono::nono:

gsc
13-06-2013, 11:59
There are many bars you don't need to 'buy' - 3 months rent as a deposit. You would need to have some idea of how you are going to do better than the last owner(s) though :)

thesloaneranger
13-06-2013, 13:49
read "More Ketchup Than Salsa - Confessions of a Tenerife Barman" - defo an eye opener to anyone considering chasing the dream :) If your experience in the licensed trade is from owning pubs, as opposed to managing, you will find this book makes alot of sense. Good luck! x

mossyboy
13-06-2013, 13:53
Thanks. Will do :-)

cressrt
13-06-2013, 17:07
I believe this link came from an old thread so you may have already seen it, if not have a read.
http://tenerifeestateagents.net/bars-for-sale-in-tenerife-warning/

mossyboy
14-06-2013, 17:51
Good reading! Thanks