PDA

View Full Version : Looking to find the name of this British bird, the feathered kind

Malteser Monkey
12-06-2013, 13:21
:D

Over the last week I have noticed this bird flying into our gardens. Usually accompanied by a normal yellow beaked blackbird.

Now this bird has the body of a blackbird but it has a little crest on it's head and is about 2 inches longer than a blackbird.

When it flies it's tail has all different colours the most striking being blue and white. I am trying to get a pic to post but it's very difficult as by the time I see it and grab my camera it's gone !

I have tried searching the net but to no avail :D

Does anyone out there know ?

primrose
12-06-2013, 13:35
:D

Over the last week I have noticed this bird flying into our gardens. Usually accompanied by a normal yellow beaked blackbird.

Now this bird has the body of a blackbird but it has a little crest on it's head and is about 2 inches longer than a blackbird.

When it flies it's tail has all different colours the most striking being blue and white. I am trying to get a pic to post but it's very difficult as by the time I see it and grab my camera it's gone !

I have tried searching the net but to no avail :D

Does anyone out there know ?

Don't grab your Camera, grab the bird, it could be worth a fortune.

Malteser Monkey
12-06-2013, 14:00
I'll try that when I get back from shopping !:D

junglejim
12-06-2013, 15:08
Try using this

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

Addick
12-06-2013, 15:19
Something related to a jay - or a juvenile one, maybe? They have blue and white feathers and are a little bigger than a blackbird.

Malteser Monkey
12-06-2013, 16:57
Something related to a jay - or a juvenile one, maybe? They have blue and white feathers and are a little bigger than a blackbird.

It could be this one but with a slightly darker body and a bit more of a tuft on top !

Thanks I'll keep a look out

and Thanks junglejim that's very useful

Addick
12-06-2013, 17:27

It could be this one but with a slightly darker body and a bit more of a tuft on top !

Thanks I'll keep a look out

and Thanks junglejim that's very useful

Hmmm, Darker body....tuft on top....:idea:

Malteser Monkey
12-06-2013, 19:39
Hmmm, Darker body....tuft on top....:idea:

:crylaughing::c2::c2::crylaughing::crylaughing::cr ylaughing:

Yes she was out but said her hubby didn't want her photo taking

Ecky Thump
12-06-2013, 20:48
It sounds like you have been visited by a Waxwing, unusual for this time of year.

They are often seen in small groups and if you have any berries on plants they will have a feast at your expense.

Malteser Monkey
13-06-2013, 09:08
It sounds like you have been visited by a Waxwing, unusual for this time of year.

They are often seen in small groups and if you have any berries on plants they will have a feast at your expense.

yes Ecky that is very similar - back in work today but will keep a watchful eye at the weekend, I will get a pic !

Malteser Monkey
19-06-2013, 10:39
Looked out the window this morning and there are two now - wonderful - hope they have little chicks !

Deffo the ones in that pic A Jay

Thanks again Addick

Harmonicaman
20-06-2013, 10:01
The picture you posted is of a Jay MM...

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2013, 10:06
The picture you posted is of a Jay MM...

Yes dear Addick said it might be a Jay so I googled it and posted that picture - I still haven't managed to get a pic of my own yet as the fly in jump around and there gone ! too quick for me.

Beautiful birds tho just never seen them before

Hope you two are well ?

Harmonicaman
20-06-2013, 10:47
Yes dear Addick said it might be a Jay so I googled it and posted that picture - I still haven't managed to get a pic of my own yet as the fly in jump around and there gone ! too quick for me.

Beautiful birds tho just never seen them before

Hope you two are well ?

We're fine thanks! Those Jays you'll notice make a helluva racket, they are a member of the crow family and make as much noise as magpies and jackdaws! Handsome looking birds though.:hi:

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2013, 10:52
We're fine thanks! Those Jays you'll notice make a helluva racket, they are a member of the crow family and make as much noise as magpies and jackdaws! Handsome looking birds though.:hi:

Ahh thanks for that - as we live alongside a river and woods at the back of us we have all sorts - usually there is a heron knocking about too.

There are some lovely coloured sparrows about - they probably all have individual names (and I don't mean Kevin, Sue etc) :cheeky:

Addick
20-06-2013, 11:10
If you want them to hang around for a bit longer keep an eye out for peanuts in shells at the supermarket or petshop. We have a pair of jays around and they (along with the crows and magpies) love trying to pick 2 or 3 up at a time and then sit on the garage roof stabbing the shell in a frenzied attack to get to the nuts. Either that or they plant them in the leaves/moss in the gutter to save for later (though usually another bird is watching them and waits for them to leave and steals the buried food!)

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2013, 11:35
If you want them to hang around for a bit longer keep an eye out for peanuts in shells at the supermarket or petshop. We have a pair of jays around and they (along with the crows and magpies) love trying to pick 2 or 3 up at a time and then sit on the garage roof stabbing the shell in a frenzied attack to get to the nuts. Either that or they plant them in the leaves/moss in the gutter to save for later (though usually another bird is watching them and waits for them to leave and steals the buried food!)

Good tip I'll try that thanks - bit of a novice at this bird malarky, s'pose I'm getting old :cheeky::eek:

warbey
20-06-2013, 19:59
Good tip I'll try that thanks - bit of a novice at this bird malarky, s'pose I'm getting old :cheeky::eek:

Never thought You'd admit to that Hun......:eyebrows::eyebrows:

melm
20-06-2013, 20:22

everlasting birthday taking its toll??????:laugh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
21-06-2013, 09:33
Never thought You'd admit to that Hun......:eyebrows::eyebrows:

everlasting birthday taking its toll??????:laugh::laugh: :cheeky:

Getting old - not there yet Warbs, I still got a lot of catching up to do:laugh:

warbey
21-06-2013, 18:26
:cheeky:

Getting old - not there yet Warbs, I still got a lot of catching up to do:laugh:

You wont.. .. ..

Malteser Monkey
23-06-2013, 19:16
You wont.. .. ..

Oh I know :D