PDA

View Full Version : Relocation What kind of semi retirement can I expect on a 2200 a month income?

Bobajob
15-06-2013, 22:24
As frequent visitors the Tenerife me and my wife are thinking of moving over after Christmas for about a year to see if living there is for us.
Although money isn't a real issue I was wondering what the cost of living is as an expat as opposed to a holidaymaker? I was looking at budgeting for approx 600 euros per month on rent, incl bills, and say 1600 per month for a reasonable lifestyle.
Does this sound realistic or have i got my head in the clouds?

Many thanks for any responses

marbro8
15-06-2013, 22:29
As frequent visitors the Tenerife me and my wife are thinking of moving over after Christmas for about a year to see if living there is for us.
Although money isn't a real issue I was wondering what the cost of living is as an expat as opposed to a holidaymaker? I was looking at budgeting for approx 600 euros per month on rent, incl bills, and say 1600 per month for a reasonable lifestyle.
Does this sound realistic or have i got my head in the clouds?

Many thanks for any responsesi don't think you would struggle on that budget mate, i could live on that as a tourist:lol:;)

YOUNG GOLFER
15-06-2013, 22:29
Yes on both counts.....the rent should get you a nice apartment and 1600 a month will be more than enough.....just make sure you eat and drink and shop like the rest of us guys that live here and you will save money.

obs
15-06-2013, 22:34
Hi Bobajob, you won't have any problem on that budget, once you have been here a short while you will realise how inexpensive it can be! ( I use 'inexpensive', as I hate the word cheap) :lol:

slodgedad
16-06-2013, 01:46
That is double the average monthly income for most expats that live here.

There will be a lot of members that wish they had that kind of income.

You'll live very comfortably on that (provided you don't go clubbing every night):devil2:

Taylor
16-06-2013, 03:56
As a recent newcomer you will be suprised once you get to know the in's and out's how cheap you can live, I have much the same spends as you do, of course I'm single !! but I still shake my head in disbelief after I come out the supermarket weekly shopping trip. What I have in my basket, compared to the UK, its an eyeopener especially if you have bad habits like smoke and partake of a few shandies!!!! You will breeze through, you wont want to go back!!!! Good Luck

slodgedad
16-06-2013, 04:24
Do not shop in tourist supermarkets.

Do not eat out where the tourists do.

Try to get your resident head on as soon as possible.

A week or two of holiday head is expected.

Then settle down and enjoy....

tracy hampshire
16-06-2013, 04:32
definately don t shop in the tourist supermarkets, i was in los cristianos this week & called in a small supermarket for a bottle of water, saw the price of stuff & nearly fainted, 3 euros for a packet of t bags :(

slodgedad
16-06-2013, 04:43
They have their place, as do corner shops in the UK.

But as a resident, doing a weekly or monthly shop, you cans save over a quarter for the same goods.

The reason tourist supermarkets do so well is the fact they normally sell immediately needed items.

When's the last time anyone saw a trolley load in one?

Bobajob
16-06-2013, 21:31
Many thanks for all the replies. looks like you made our decision a lot easier !!!!

Taylor
16-06-2013, 21:54
Just to Reinforce what most are saying, if you rent for a year try to get a place outwith the resorts, its miles cheaper, shop at the Big Supermarket Chains and Lidles, they are insanely cheap.

If you need a car you can do long term rentals 200-250 a month, which is what I do, but I work away 8-9 weeks at a time with same time off, no point in me shipping my car over or buying one.

You will get the lay of the land over the first few weeks, once you get out of "your not on Holiday head"

There is always fantastic help in here, I got great info from the forums, most of all enjoy it, its a wonderful way of life here on the rock!

Red Devil
16-06-2013, 22:17
Just to Reinforce what most are saying, if you rent for a year try to get a place outwith the resorts, its miles cheaper, shop at the Big Supermarket Chains and Lidles, they are insanely cheap.

If you need a car you can do long term rentals 200-250 a month, which is what I do, but I work away 8-9 weeks at a time with same time off, no point in me shipping my car over or buying one.

You will get the lay of the land over the first few weeks, once you get out of "your not on Holiday head"

There is always fantastic help in here, I got great info from the forums, most of all enjoy it, its a wonderful way of life here on the rock!
Agree with most of that, except if you live in a resort you can probably manage with local buses and the odd taxi, so you save the rent differential by not having to hire a car.
You can do a big shop at an out of town supermarket every week or so and even with taxi fare will still save against resort supermarket prices.
We love living near the sea, always somewhere interesting and different to walk to every day, always something to watch and so near all facilities. Never bored.