PDA

View Full Version : Health What is maternity care like in the Green Hospital in south Tenerife?

Emarfrog
23-06-2013, 00:51
Can anyone tell me what the maternity facilities are like in the green hospital? I'm currently under private healthcare at quiron hospital but cannot give birth there...I've heard stories that no painkillers available and the baby is taken away at night? Thanks, worried mum to be

albasabina
24-06-2013, 00:22
What you mean the Green Hospital? Hospiten? South One or North One in that case?

Emarfrog
24-06-2013, 01:11
Hi, preferably a hospital in the south, the one in las Americas is only one I'm aware of here you can give birth at? Cheers :wink2:

albasabina
24-06-2013, 01:34
Hi, I understand that you mean Hospiten, is this hospital http://www.hospiten.es/hospiten/HOSPITEN/published_en/DEFAULT/con_hospitales.jsp?&CATID=77&PRDID=2060 I have been there and have a friend who is a nurse there and really... I find it's very nice, clean and have good services. You are going to have a baby and about what I read they don't have epidural, Of course they have anesthesia and painkillers! My usual hospital is Hospiten Rambla, is in the north of the island, in Santa Cruz, and is a very nice Hospital, the accomodations are great and the doctors too (worst parking ever).

I recommend you to call to the number in the website, they speak english, and ask then anything you want to know, and if you have the chance, try to deliver your baby in the north because, honesty, is a better hospital, even if is the same company, and if you have any complication, you're so near of the general public hospital where they have the best doctors in Tenerife, and if is urgent, they will make you get there faster than a rocket!

Well, if you have any doubt, I will try to help you.

Any way, wih luck with your pregnancy and congrats!

casabonny
24-06-2013, 11:12
As far as I am aware Hospiten is the normal hospital in the south but most prefer to go to Canderlaria as there is a special baby unit there in case of , there is not one in the south.
Know of a few Mums who had their babies in Hospiten but personally I would not touch them with a barge pole.Quiron have a hospital in the North can you not go there under your private medical?

megsdad
24-06-2013, 11:35
my daughter was born there, but it was 16 years ago, i have had treatments there, i have M.S. and i personally think it is a woderful clean hospital staffed by caring professionals, and thats with 1st hand experience not tenerife whispers

YOUNG GOLFER
24-06-2013, 11:38
Both our girls were born in this hospital and agree with megsdad it's very very good.

casabonny
24-06-2013, 11:59
I have been in there as an inpatient and found it to be dreadful, lack of care , staff disinterested and flippant and all in all a horrific experience , not a Tenerife whisper but first hand experience.
We as a family have also had experience of horrific care, if it could be called that, in intensive care there resulting in the person being moved to Canderlaria where the doctor who admitted the person was horrified at the state of the person.He died almost immediately on arrival there.

Emarfrog
24-06-2013, 12:53
Hi, thanks for all replies, I'm really worried about it as they didn't seem interested when I called to talk I them. Just worried about making it up to the north when I go into labour, I live in los gigantes so quite a trek... :-/

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Is it true they take the baby aware from you pretty much straight away and also at night time?

bonitatime
25-06-2013, 08:17
With your First you will usually have a long time in labour. I would try for Candelaria although my youngest was born in Hospiten sur and I had no problems

9PLUS
25-06-2013, 08:52
Apparently if there are complications you would be taken to Candelaria in an ambulance anyhow,

It takes about 45-60 minutes to get there, if some kind of emergency should arise, that for me is a very very long time.

I recommend the north hospital as they have some of the best Doctors in Spain within this field.

poker
25-06-2013, 09:18
As 9+ mensions , better in Candelaria .
Our 2 cond one was born there only 3 months ago .
We found it as good as the Belgium hospital where our 1st was born, if not better. You can have epidural there ( just ask in time) and if complications arrise youre in the best spot .
Hey even the food is better there :-) .

9PLUS
25-06-2013, 12:49
As I'd mentioned I recommended going to the north not just because in the event of an emergency or because it has some of Spains best Doctors

But because the service was so good, it was better than great, you know over the top good I mean I didn't feel any pain at all.

priyeshwashingt
09-09-2013, 11:09
Can anyone tell me what the maternity facilities are like in the green hospital? I'm currently under private healthcare at quiron hospital but cannot give birth there...I've heard stories that no painkillers available and the baby is taken away at night? Thanks, worried mum to be

See, as per my experience I'd given a birth to my child and that to in south but as far as I know all most all the Mum prefer to go to the other hospitals as there is a special baby unit than the south.

Oberon
09-09-2013, 12:08
my daughter was born there, but it was 16 years ago, i have had treatments there, i have M.S. and i personally think it is a woderful clean hospital staffed by caring professionals . . . . . . . . .

Hospiten Sur - green clinic. I agree with Meg's Dad. My son was born there, no problems, first class.

However, if there had been any problems . . . as some have said, the best doctors are in the Candalaria, (but also some of the worst) and they have all the expensive equipment. My daughter was born there, again no problems.

One thing to watch out for at the Candaleria is that some of the nurses are thieves and you are quite likely to be robbed, so make sure you give all your valuables to your spouse or whoever is accompanying you. While you are giving birth is the best time to rob you, you won't notice for ages, maybe days.

The green clinic is excellent, but if you have serious complications the Candalaria is the place to be. But they will take you there anyway.

The main thing for you is not to worry, nobody is going to take your baby away. They might take it off to be weighed or something but that won't take long.
Relax.

timmylish
10-09-2013, 04:08
Bleedin' heck! Reading some of the replies in this thread would be enough to have the baby at home, with just hubby or partner to help!
My ex wife gave birth to my Daughter here in the South, without private just State. Baby was induced at 11 o'clock at night and born in the early hours of Sunday morning. No Doctors available due the time and the day! Just an excellent mid-wife and lovely nurse. My ex Dragon in law came all the way from Saint Petersburg, Russia just for the birth and both her and myself were allowed as much contact with new mother and child as we liked. Any drugs needed were made available immediately. On a very personal note I subsequently suffered a massive stroke and was admitted to the other hospital nr San Eugenio and all I can say is that I maintain the level of expertise shown by the medical staff in both hospitals AND subsequent help I have received in Candelaria Hospital, in SC has been exceptional and vastly superior to that which I would have experienced in the UK (so I understand!).
So, all in all, have no fears and try not to take on board too much negative stuff, even if correct, as this is the last thing a pregnant woman should have to endure at this time. I am confident that all will work out well and I look forward to hearing from the O/p after baby arrives. Remember to get Libro de Familia as soon after birth as possible. Forget how long you get but no doubt someone else will advise.