PDA

View Full Version : Other Sand sculptor arrested on Las Vistas Beach

Halli
24-06-2013, 21:29
Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I've lost the first one,!

One of the sand sculpturs was arrested by 7 (seven) policemen today on Las Vistas beach near to Vista Sur. He did resist to some extent but the police reaction was still over the top.

What's going on here? do they need a licence (or a bribe) as all of the other sand sculpturs appeared to be unaffected and unmoved.

I'm full of admiration for the sand sculpturs in these hard times - they have skill, they graft, they don't hassle, beg or obstruct anyone and they add to the culture of the place.

Am I missing something here?

Halli

Red
24-06-2013, 23:31
Quite right. I only ever give to people who don't ask/hassle me. These guys like the statue guys in puerto work for there money. Unlike the lazy arses who just sit there with a begging bowl.

Taylor
25-06-2013, 01:54
Always happy to throw a few coins there way, given their skill and it's part of the Playa scene........ridiculus, had friend over recently literally accosted by the Looky Looky woman in Mare Nostrum like a kidnapping aggressive gits......had to drag friend out of their clutches

slodgedad
25-06-2013, 02:20
The point is that they are illegal.

Everyone moans about illegal workers that they don't like but seem to think it OK if it's something they like.

Contrary to many opinions on here about Lookie Lookies getting away with it, take it from me that there are far more 'lookies' arrested than artists.

junglejim
25-06-2013, 06:31
The hundreds of PR's on the street are illegal too but rarely do you see them getting done , the Sand Sculptures harm no one and bring a touch of culture to the area - of course there are more Lookie Lookie's arrested as there are hundreds of them although they are trying to earn a living of sorts.
The laughable thing reported on BBC this morning is the bar in Albufeira that was playing Bingo for "Biscuits and Chocolates" that was raided and all the customers , playing or not were arrested!
The report says the bar was fined €700 , the players €300 and even if you were just watching €100 Euros ! They even kept the chocolate and biscuits as evidence !
That seems a good way to keep the tourist numbers up in a recession !
I wonder what Nelson has to say about this Portuguese Model ?

Balcony
25-06-2013, 07:24
I wouldn't necessarily compare the sand sculturers with the lookie-lookies. The only real comparison is they both have incomes on which I doubt tax is paid, as is the case with beggars, street musicians etc. As Slodg said, choose the one you like and suddenly you don't really mind.

But, with lookie-lookies, remember, you're supporting your local criminal gang. You can wear the rose-tinted glasses if you like, but it's no good being simplistic and saying they're just supporting their families back home. THEY and the gangs who supply/control them are criminals. Plus they have become a bloody intrusion into my holidays on Tenerife. They arrive like a conveyor belt.

Kinney61
25-06-2013, 08:48
The hundreds of PR's on the street are illegal too but rarely do you see them getting done , the Sand Sculptures harm no one and bring a touch of culture to the area - of course there are more Lookie Lookie's arrested as there are hundreds of them although they are trying to earn a living of sorts.
The laughable thing reported on BBC this morning is the bar in Albufeira that was playing Bingo for "Biscuits and Chocolates" that was raided and all the customers , playing or not were arrested!
The report says the bar was fined €700 , the players €300 and even if you were just watching €100 Euros ! They even kept the chocolate and biscuits as evidence !

I have just read about the "Bingo raid! on BBC - the World has gone crazy!
I wonder how much it cost the police and courts for that little performance. Hope the Canaries don't get any ideas like this.

Chivas Regal
25-06-2013, 17:29
Maybe he got arrested because the real sand sculpter had gone and he just sat their pretending he'd made it!!! lol

chifleta
25-06-2013, 17:38

I have to correct your statement.... the cops didn't get the chocolate, coz the old guy who won ate it before they had a chance to confiscate it LMFAO

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe he got arrested because the real sand sculpter had gone and he just sat their pretending he'd made it!!! lol

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

junglejim
25-06-2013, 18:29
There's a bar in PDLA that plays bingo for Bottles that can be "cashed in " - taking a big risk !

Halli
26-06-2013, 18:30
Update.

Odd thing is that no other sculpturs were arrested/stopped and the guy who was arrested on monday was back on Tuesday and wednesday.

Maybe it was nothing to do with his "art" but some other misdemeanour.

halli

Loaded
26-06-2013, 18:59
I doubt sand sculptures make enough money to "go legal"..... Good luck to them I say.

slodgedad
27-06-2013, 00:34
I doubt sand sculptures make enough money to "go legal"..... Good luck to them I say.
Same can be said about a lot of people trying to make ends meet here.

Still not legal though, but when your kids are starving you do what you have to.

No handouts here.

marbro8
27-06-2013, 08:26
look at the situation with the life guards, they are still providing a service to the best of their ability without getting paid, so have had to resort to BEGGING,and quite rightly so, i for one gladly give money to them, but would the authorities still deem this illegal:dontknow:

junglejim
27-06-2013, 08:40
Same can be said about a lot of people trying to make ends meet here.

Still not legal though, but when your kids are starving you do what you have to.

No handouts here.
Earlier this year we had a couple of canarian men going round bars with a hand written note explaining their predicament of having no job and no income , begging for some money to feed their family and survive - definitely weren't scammers , scary situation to be in and it's only getting worse !

Javi
30-06-2013, 16:39
Hi!

Why is everybody so sure that the sculptor was arrested just for being an illegal sculptor? Did anyone ask the police about it?

None is arrested by seven policemen without powerfull reasons. It's my point of view.

junglejim
30-06-2013, 18:21
Hi!

Why is everybody so sure that the sculptor was arrested just for being an illegal sculptor? Did anyone ask the police about it?

None is arrested by seven policemen without powerfull reasons. It's my point of view.

I'm not so sure Javi - we once had a similiar number of National Police turn up at a bar because a customer, who was refused service and became abusive and ejected from bar, complained !The police came in heavy handed flinging everyone out of the Bar for no reason !

irishmusico
13-07-2013, 01:03
But, with lookie-lookies, remember, you're supporting your local criminal gang. You can wear the rose-tinted glasses if you like, but it's no good being simplistic and saying they're just supporting their families back home. THEY and the gangs who supply/control them are criminals. Plus they have become a bloody intrusion into my holidays on Tenerife. They arrive like a conveyor belt.

Just curious to know how you know they are criminals. I know plenty of the lads and I wouldn't call any of them criminals.
Granted,they can be an intrusion but to tar them with all the same brush..............

Timson
13-07-2013, 06:57
What are lookie lookies? Sorry, not native english speaking...

TOTO 99
13-07-2013, 07:14
What are lookie lookies? Sorry, not native english speaking...

They're the African guys who tour the area selling sunglasses, watches etc.

To be honest, over the last couple of years I've never seen any of them sell enough to support themselves let alone a criminal gang.

Topacciolo
13-07-2013, 09:57
They're the African guys who tour the area selling sunglasses, watches etc.

To be honest, over the last couple of years I've never seen any of them sell enough to support themselves let alone a criminal gang.

The Lookie Lookies do not survive or support a criminal gang with the day job..... Have a walk in Las Veronicas after 9.30pm.... they old sunglasses but they offer a completely different "service" and "products".... and itīs not only in las Veronicas.... Los Cristianos is exactly the same so i assume (maybe iīm wrong...) that in the touristic areas itīs the same everywhere....

TOTO 99
13-07-2013, 10:19
The Lookie Lookies do not survive or support a criminal gang with the day job..... Have a walk in Las Veronicas after 9.30pm.... they old sunglasses but they offer a completely different "service" and "products".... and itīs not only in las Veronicas.... Los Cristianos is exactly the same so i assume (maybe iīm wrong...) that in the touristic areas itīs the same everywhere....

Drugs being sold around the Veronicas region..there's a shock..lol There's plenty of Brits involved in that game.

From experience, I have been approached by countless Lookies over the years and never once been offered anything other than what's on show. That's been the same whether I was with family or a group of men....

I can only ask, have you been offered drugs by these guys?

Topacciolo
13-07-2013, 10:23
Drugs being sold around the Veronicas region..there's a shock..lol There's plenty of Brits involved in that game.

From experience, I have been approached by countless Lookies over the years and never once been offered anything other than what's on show. That's been the same whether I was with family or a group of men....

I can only ask, have you been offered drugs by these guys?

Of course.... never when i was with family... but i went out few times with some friends and that is the only thing they offer.... I know itīs not a big news but hey... not even that they do not support them self selling sunglasses is.... ;-)

TOTO 99
13-07-2013, 10:39
Of course.... never when i was with family... but i went out few times with some friends and that is the only thing they offer.... I know itīs not a big news but hey... not even that they do not support them self selling sunglasses is.... ;-)

I guess we'll have to agree to differ because we're on two differing points here.

I think the original post put forward was suggesting that buying sunglasses supports the criminal gang. If, as you say, there's no profit in that then as long as that's all your buying you are not supporting the criminal gang.

If you buy drugs from anyone, you are definitely supporting a criminal gang. But of course if you're buying drugs you couldn't care less... It never ceases to amaze me that if you and I know where they are, how come the police don't?

Topacciolo
13-07-2013, 10:53
Agreed.... a part from the fact that the people that sell glasses and drugs are the same people so somehow if you buy glasses you are supporting the same system... different story for the people that do the sculpture i think... i know they are illegal but i donīt feel bad giving them few coins... they do something that people like and they do not harm anyone... ok they donīt pay taxes but if they are out of a regular job i understand the need of supporting them self and their families.
Regrading police...itīs very strange to see those people doing their dodgy business almost right in front of the police... Maybe they see it pointless to get those guys... maybe they are only looking at who supply them with what they sell.... I donīt know but it looked very strange to me.... but i see many police officers looking the other way.... like loud music outdoor in the middle of the night.... some bars gets penalties... some get warnings... some just keep doing it over and over without problem.... are they just lucky???? :-))

Greg
13-07-2013, 11:08
If you buy drugs from anyone, you are definitely supporting a criminal gang. But of course if you're buying drugs you couldn't care less... It never ceases to amaze me that if you and I know where they are, how come the police don't?

maybe you are presuming that the police here don't take recreational drugs on a night out? :whistle:

TOTO 99
13-07-2013, 11:30

maybe you are presuming that the police here don't take recreational drugs on a night out? :whistle:

Or wear a Rolex....:laugh:

Balcony
15-07-2013, 07:40
The watches, glasses etc are fake versions of the so-called' real thing', just as in former times were the copies of T-shirts, shorts etc sold all along the beach walks. It is pretty widely alledged (anecdotal, if you like) that these watches come from criminal sources and the looky-lookies selling them on means they are complicit in a fraud - as could be the end purchaser! Other than being a nuisance when I'm trying to relax with a drink, or food I'm not particularly trying to tar them with any brush, but merely point out that because many people don't really 'mind' them you shouldn't overlook what they are doing. I know a few of them too and they seem like decent guys, but....!

Just curious to know how you know they are criminals. I know plenty of the lads and I wouldn't call any of them criminals.
Granted,they can be an intrusion but to tar them with all the same brush..............

essexeddie
15-07-2013, 17:55
I bought a fake watch off one of them guys years ago and it lasted about ten years. Not bad for Ģ10. I wish it was still working as I liked it.
Just bought some fake T shirts, good make [Fruit of the Loom] cant be bad for €4 each.
Who cares!!

Chivas Regal
16-07-2013, 15:26
Is it just me or are the lookie lookies sunglasses not named brands any more? I used to be able to get Ray bans or Oakley's etc but now it's just fake named like Ray Buns or Oak1ey's? :)
Also I have been offered drugs by the lookie lookies during the middle of the day on las vistas beach whilst with my wife and daughter! Well I'm guessing he was offering me drugs as at first he offered sunglasses and we said no and walked past. I then got the ' Del Boy' shout so I glanced back and he did a smoking sign with his hand! I don't know, maybe he was offering me a whistle to buy!

Medman
16-07-2013, 17:18
Is it just me or are the lookie lookies sunglasses not named brands any more? I used to be able to get Ray bans or Oakley's etc but now it's just fake named like Ray Buns or Oak1ey's? :)
Also I have been offered drugs by the lookie lookies during the middle of the day on las vistas beach whilst with my wife and daughter! Well I'm guessing he was offering me drugs as at first he offered sunglasses and we said no and walked past. I then got the ' Del Boy' shout so I glanced back and he did a smoking sign with his hand! I don't know, maybe he was offering me a whistle to buy!

What is the World coming to ? Can't even get decent fakes these days ! The end is nigh ! .......... :D

Chivas Regal
16-07-2013, 19:40
What is the World coming to ? Can't even get decent fakes these days ! The end is nigh ! .......... :D

It's bad aint it! I still laugh about the time I saw a Levis belt in Benidorm only to find on closer inspection it said Lewis :)

golazzo
17-07-2013, 17:54
Never had a problem with them. Got to know quite a few over the years. In fact the ones I get on with I always offer to buy them a water and they are always greatful.

marbro8
17-07-2013, 21:17
Never had a problem with them. Got to know quite a few over the years. In fact the ones I get on with I always offer to buy them a water and they are always greatful.i was in shambles one night and someone offered to buy one of them a beer, he went ape, saying "are you trying to disrespect my muslim beliefs" i don't know if the guy was but he looked very shaken after:dontknow:

irishmusico
19-07-2013, 12:47
Fair enough.I don't know particularly of any connections,alleged or otherwise that all the lucky lucky men have with criminals. There are some decent people out there just doing what they have to do to get by. :)

The watches, glasses etc are fake versions of the so-called' real thing', just as in former times were the copies of T-shirts, shorts etc sold all along the beach walks. It is pretty widely alledged (anecdotal, if you like) that these watches come from criminal sources and the looky-lookies selling them on means they are complicit in a fraud - as could be the end purchaser! Other than being a nuisance when I'm trying to relax with a drink, or food I'm not particularly trying to tar them with any brush, but merely point out that because many people don't really 'mind' them you shouldn't overlook what they are doing. I know a few of them too and they seem like decent guys, but....!