PDA

View Full Version : Tax Do the UK winter fuel payments apply to anyone on the Tenerife Forum?

Harmonicaman
26-06-2013, 19:29
Apply to anyone? :lol:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture_zps29c315a5.jpg

AL JAY
27-06-2013, 01:01
I can't believe in these days of austerity that the UK still gives anually 12 Billion pounds in foreign aid!

macdonald5
27-06-2013, 07:29
Definately a 'soft touch' ,why does some £50 million go in Child Benefit to children who might not even exist ie Poland

At least Pensioners who get heating allowance living abroad have normally contributed some 30 years plus of Tax and National Insurances

Medman
27-06-2013, 07:50
I can't believe in these days of austerity that the UK still gives anually 12 Billion pounds in foreign aid!

I can never understand why we help nations that don't even like us ! And giving aid to nations that left the empire, (because they hated us) failed and want our help again. UK get a grip ! Corny as it may seem; charity DOES begin at home. End of small rant. :(

junglejim
27-06-2013, 08:04
I can never understand why we help nations that don't even like us ! And giving aid to nations that left the empire, (because they hated us) failed and want our help again. UK get a grip ! Corny as it may seem; charity DOES begin at home. End of small rant. :(
Don't want to get into a long argument , but you would have to visit some of our previous "Empire" to see why they wanted rid of "Us" - we exploited and raped their countries of resources , not to mention slavery, left them with no real infrastructure and treated them as second class citizens - visiting some of these countries would bring shame - even the stitch ups in earlier years around the middle east ( not just by UK) has only added to the issues .
No wonder they don't have a lot of time for "Us" !

Medman
27-06-2013, 08:07
Don't want to get into a long argument , but you would have to visit some of our previous "Empire" to see why they wanted rid of "Us" - we exploited and raped their countries of resources , not to mention slavery, left them with no real infrastructure and treated them as second class citizens - visiting some of these countries would bring shame - even the stitch ups in earlier years around the middle east ( not just by UK) has only added to the issues .
No wonder they don't have a lot of time for "Us" !

Guilty conscience then perhaps ?

Malteser Monkey
27-06-2013, 09:10
Watched a prog Tues morning (think it was crimewatch or summit similar) A French woman was claiming all the benefits she could for her and 3 children. She was actually claiming all of these in 3 different London boroughs.

The woman at the Benefit Agency noticed a slight smudge on the Tenancy Agreement and after investigations found out she was living and working in the airport in France and was actually married . She would commute on the mornings when she needed to sign paperwork

Totalled she'd claimed over a period of time £87.500

Tshirt
27-06-2013, 09:55
I think I should get paid SUMMER heating allowance. :cold:

Malteser Monkey
27-06-2013, 10:03
I think I should get paid SUMMER heating allowance. :cold:

what a brilliant idea - sitting at work with the fan heater on !

Westminster
27-06-2013, 13:37
The real target in the withdrawal of the Winter Fuel Allowance(WFA) for those who live in warm countries is the large number of West Indians and Asians who are being paid this allowance after retiring back to their homeland.
I suspect the WFA will be withdrawn for all overseas residents which makes the administration easier.
There is also a proposal floating around that State Pension increases could be limited for those living in countries with a lower cost of living than the UK.

macdonald5
27-06-2013, 13:45
Fair comment Westminster but can the same not be applied that only children living (and proven to exist) in this country be eligible for Child Allowance ?

Megaloo
27-06-2013, 18:15
What I cannot understand is only recently they started to pay Winter Fuel allowance to people who came here before they started the payments :spin:where as previously it was only for people who came here after starting therefore did not take them away.

Harmonicaman
27-06-2013, 18:54
The real target in the withdrawal of the Winter Fuel Allowance(WFA) for those who live in warm countries is the large number of West Indians and Asians who are being paid this allowance after retiring back to their homeland.
I suspect the WFA will be withdrawn for all overseas residents which makes the administration easier.
There is also a proposal floating around that State Pension increases could be limited for those living in countries with a lower cost of living than the UK.

They intend doing it this way...BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23065510)

junglejim
27-06-2013, 23:49
Here is the Eligibility Rule as it stands
https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

lawrence
02-07-2013, 08:04
Well mate, it seems you should be careful what you wish for. The UK government are considering stopping winter fuel payments to people living abroad in warm climates. But on another side of it. I heard a politician on tv the other day saying that it is cheaper to pay retired peoples benefits when living abroad as they don't use the GP and hospital services etc in the UK. He rekoned that this saved approx £3,000 per year per person. I think they should pay all retired people benefits to live in the sun to get out of our rotten climate and at the same time, save a fortune. I'll go with that.

Albatros
02-07-2013, 15:23
Well mate, it seems you should be careful what you wish for. The UK government are considering stopping winter fuel payments to people living abroad in warm climates. But on another side of it. I heard a politician on tv the other day saying that it is cheaper to pay retired peoples benefits when living abroad as they don't use the GP and hospital services etc in the UK. He rekoned that this saved approx £3,000 per year per person. I think they should pay all retired people benefits to live in the sun to get out of our rotten climate and at the same time, save a fortune. I'll go with that.

Surely the cost of these services is charged back to the UK or am I missing something? Also several of my resident friends travel back for NHS treatment.

Sorting that lot out would be a nightmare.

lawrence
02-07-2013, 15:53
Surely the cost of these services is charged back to the UK or am I missing something? Also several of my resident friends travel back for NHS treatment.

I agree my friend. But not every expat lives as close as those in Tenerife. Aparrently expats in places outside the EU only get their state pension, but will never get a pension increase. All they get is the pension value at their time of leaving the UK. IE: Places such as South Africa etc.:wow:

Tel54
02-07-2013, 15:59
But being an expat is a lifestyle choice that the vast majority in Britain do not have the means to make.

primrose
02-07-2013, 16:06

Would love to know how your resident friends manage to travel back to the UK for NHS treatment, obviously I am doing something wrong.

Albatros
02-07-2013, 16:09
Would love to know how your resident friends manage to travel back to the UK for NHS treatment, obviously I am doing something wrong.
No ... They are :whistle:

lawrence
02-07-2013, 16:15
But being an expat is a lifestyle choice that the vast majority in Britain do not have the means to make.

Your quite right Tel54. Most pensioners do not have the means. But younger people do. They are just afraid to make the break out of their comfort zone. I have been an expat in 3 countries in my younger days, from about 50 years of age. Kept thinking about doing it. Then one day I said that's it I'm going.
I don't regret 1minute of it. What an experience, Had no money, only the tools of my trade. But made a living where ever I was. Will take the experience of it to the grave.

cheery
02-07-2013, 17:06
I agree my friend. But not every expat lives as close as those in Tenerife. Aparrently expats in places outside the EU only get their state pension, but will never get a pension increase. All they get is the pension value at their time of leaving the UK. IE: Places such as South Africa etc.:wow:

A friend of my mums lives in Oz. Her pension is £60 and will stay like that forever. Surely if you have paid into the system you should receive the same money as those who stay put. After all, as someone else posted, they aren't a drain on the NHS are they. Remember there will be those who haven't paid into the system but stay in Britain claiming allsorts of benefits and then reach 65 and draw a full pension.

Tel54
02-07-2013, 17:07
Sorry Lawrence, I didn't say clearly what I meant, I meant to say that it is an expat pensioners choice, which is what this discussion regarding Winter Fuel payments is about. I quite agree with what you say about younger people making a break out of their comfort zone.

lawrence
02-07-2013, 18:38
OK mate no problemo

melm
02-07-2013, 18:40
A friend of my mums lives in Oz. Her pension is £60 and will stay like that forever. Surely if you have paid into the system you should receive the same money as those who stay put. After all, as someone else posted, they aren't a drain on the NHS are they. Remember there will be those who haven't paid into the system but stay in Britain claiming allsorts of benefits and then reach 65 and draw a full pension.

Totally agree with you IF you have paid in you deserve all the benefits. Trouble is we have so many people in this country who have never worked or contributed claiming all the benefits . I feel if you have paid your dues you are entitled to heating allowance no matter where you live.

caroll72
02-07-2013, 20:19
Totally agree with you IF you have paid in you deserve all the benefits. Trouble is we have so many people in this country who have never worked or contributed claiming all the benefits . I feel if you have paid your dues you are entitled to heating allowance no matter where you live.

fair dues, but on the other side of the coin, i recall a certain few people with property in tenerife & uk, plenty of dosh in bank, rental income from property they owned, rental income from a bar they owned, & they bragged openly that they were claiming winter fuel allowance. apparently, according to them 'you can never have too much money' :rolleyes:

melm
02-07-2013, 20:24
fair dues, but on the other side of the coin, i recall a certain few people with property in tenerife & uk, plenty of dosh in bank, rental income from property they owned, rental income from a bar they owned, & they bragged openly that they were claiming winter fuel allowance. apparently, according to them 'you can never have too much money' :rolleyes:

but you don't need to claim it comes automatically when you reach a certain age

primrose
02-07-2013, 20:26

You don't claim Winter Fuel Allowance it is given automatically, and they wont even let you refuse it even if you don't want of need it.

Sorry melm was writing this as you were posting.-

caroll72
02-07-2013, 20:29
but you don't need to claim it comes automatically when you reach a certain age

Didn't realise it came automatically.
Even so, they don't need it, so their concience should make them repay it & it should go to the real needy who are scared to turn the heating on.

Tickey
02-07-2013, 20:31
But they paid their national insurance just like anyone else??

caroll72
02-07-2013, 21:02
But they paid their national insurance just like anyone else??

you're missing the point.....
They dont NEED IT

Tickey
02-07-2013, 21:20
But they did'nt make the rules did they?

slodgedad
03-07-2013, 01:13
But they did'nt make the rules did they?

Beside the point. National Insurance is the same as any other insurance.

The policy giver can review the rules anytime it wishes.

National Insurance was originally made copulsary so everyone had cover when needed.

As it's been severely abused the present government (as the insurer) can do the same as any other insurance company.

I am not agreeing with it just pointing out that this totally misguided government have the option to do this by will of the people.

All those who voted Tory are responsible for this and others so have no right to complain.

Someone else put it more succinctly as me..Be careful what you wish (vote) for.

timmylish
03-07-2013, 03:30
you're missing the point.....
They dont NEED IT

How do you know that they don,t need "IT"?

junglejim
03-07-2013, 04:00
Beside the point. National Insurance is the same as any other insurance.

The policy giver can review the rules anytime it wishes.

National Insurance was originally made copulsary so everyone had cover when needed.

As it's been severely abused the present government (as the insurer) can do the same as any other insurance company.

I am not agreeing with it just pointing out that this totally misguided government have the option to do this by will of the people.

All those who voted Tory are responsible for this and others so have no right to complain.

Someone else put it more succinctly as me..Be careful what you wish (vote) for.
Heating allowance has nothing to do with National Insurance - it is an age related benefit/ entitlement , you can opt not to take it .

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

National Insurance is compulsory for employed/self employed people above certain earnings - most other Insurances are not compulsory ( Car insurance is a typical exception)
Once you have 30years of contributions you qualify for full basic state pension but keep paying if you are employed to state pension age - if you die before then you get nothing - your dependent spouse may be able to claim some benefits/pension on your contributions though .

Here is an interesting link to working out UK Residency

http://tools.hmrc.gov.uk/rift/endsession/SRT+-+Combined/en-GB?user=guest&okURI=%2fstartsession%2fSRT%2b-%2bCombined%2fen-GB%3fuser%3dguest&cancelURI=%2fscreen%2fSRT%2b-%2bCombined%2fen-GB%2fsummary%3fuser%3dguest