PDA

View Full Version : Education My daughter has not been accepted for further education. Is this racism?

woolli
26-06-2013, 21:56
My daughter, along with four other British pupils, have just completed her last year at school at I.E.S San Miguel school. All five have passed every exam in their final year, so looking forward to further education.
Today they looked online to see were which school they would be going to, and not one of them as been accepted!
It also shows online that Canarians have been accepted after failing exams.
This is so wrong! How can you pass every exam, and not be accepted into further education?, especially when the locals have failed and been accepted?
No racism here? are you sure?
If anyone as any answers for what to do next it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

poker
26-06-2013, 23:43
Seems its not what you know but who you know . . . .

Hopefully you can sort it out and they can have a further education here .
Was it to go to university in La Laguna ?

junglejim
27-06-2013, 07:50
Why don't you contact someone like JA on another site , who seems to have good contacts and may be able to advise you on the issue - seems very unfair when you consider the number of Spanish who can get free University places in Scotland under EU rules !

woolli
27-06-2013, 07:56
Seems its not what you know but who you know . . . .

Hopefully you can sort it out and they can have a further education here .
Was it to go to university in La Laguna ?
No Poker it was only to get into the local further education schools, which are in Los Cris, Medano, Las Galletas, and Granadilla.
I think you are right about who you know, but I just cant get my head round everyone of them as passed every single exam, and cant go into further education? In fact one of the girls was the pupil of the year!
They were told in their final year that to get into further education they would have to pass every exam, which they all have, due to much studying, and in my daughters case extra private tuition. But for what?
It now leaves everyone of them in limbo, and as you can well imagine they are all extremely upset, and also angry due to the fact that Canarian pupils have failed exams but have got placements.

casabonny
27-06-2013, 09:42
Go to the ministerio de educacion in Santa Cruz avda tres de mayo opposite the courts and see what they can do for you .
This seems very unusual to me and perhaps it's because they live too far away from these institutos ??????

woolli
27-06-2013, 11:58
Thanks for that Casabonny.
With regards to being to far away, this cant be so as my English next door neighbour goes to the Los Cristianos school.
Have you any idea what the opening time is for The Ministry of Education? I need to get this sorted, as I have one very upset daughter, who as done all she can do to further her education.

Carlos
27-06-2013, 12:24
The Consejería (regional ministry) publishes details around this time of year of all those accepted on or refused entry to the schools/courses applied for and the reasons for exclusion, if appropriate. It has just appeared on its website (26/6) and you need to know what you are looking for to get the info. PM me if you need me to have a look on your behalf, giving names and NIE's of the girls concerned plus schools applied to.
http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/educacion/pagina.asp?categoria=3366

casabonny
27-06-2013, 13:42
I believe they are open 8.30 to 2.00(possibly a bit later) Monday to Friday.The entrance is at the rear of the building not at the front ( although there are doors there that seem. To indicate that is the entrance!)

woolli
27-06-2013, 15:52
Why don't you contact someone like JA on another site , who seems to have good contacts and may be able to advise you on the issue - seems very unfair when you consider the number of Spanish who can get free University places in Scotland under EU rules !
Ive actually left her a message this morning Jim, so just waiting for a reply. Thanks anyway.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The Consejería (regional ministry) publishes details around this time of year of all those accepted on or refused entry to the schools/courses applied for and the reasons for exclusion, if appropriate. It has just appeared on its website (26/6) and you need to know what you are looking for to get the info. PM me if you need me to have a look on your behalf, giving names and NIE's of the girls concerned plus schools applied to.
Hi Carlos, I have just inputted my daughters NIE, and it says "student not found".
Can you answer this, or is this another Canarian " cover up"

Carlos
27-06-2013, 20:22
Ive actually left her a message this morning Jim, so just waiting for a reply. Thanks anyway.

Hi Carlos, I have just inputted my daughters NIE, and it says "student not found".
Can you answer this, or is this another Canarian " cover up"

Send me a private message with full name and ID/NIE number of daughter or any of the others affected. Plus what school(s) and courses she applied for (Ciclo Formativo, Bachillerato etc). I will have a look using another route. Carlos.

casabonny
27-06-2013, 20:45
I believe that sometimes these sites do not recognize the X in the NIEs but if you put in the numbers and final letters they work.Give that a try

Carlos
27-06-2013, 20:52
Send me your tel no asap by PM and I will call you regarding this

woolli
27-06-2013, 20:57
I believe that sometimes these sites do not recognize the X in the NIEs but if you put in the numbers and final letters they work.Give that a try

No didnt work, although she as had a NIE for six years.

Awaiting your call Carlos. Why asap?

Still awaiting your call 20 minutes later Carlos, you said asap. Is there a problem?

Can I just say a big thanks to Carlos, who has been very informative, and assures us that, later down the line there will be further education for our daughter, who is in the system. Having said that it still doesnt detract from the fact that the whole system is so unfair, and would not happen anywhere else.
It would take me along time to write what Carlos as informed us of, but will keep everyone informed of our daughters progress over the next few months.

Carlos
27-06-2013, 22:26
Important not to take your eye off the ball as things on the lists can change a lot in the coming weeks, even up to September, as pupils turn down places etc. The relevant dates to watch out for (including for appeals against decisions) are set out in Annex I in the link below:

9PLUS
27-06-2013, 23:00
Doesn't seem right to me any of this.

woolli
28-06-2013, 07:48
Its not right by any stretch of the imagination. Just to throw another spanner in the works, my daughter, along with the other four students went back to their school to see the form teacher to complain. He said the system had changed this year, so any Canarian who had failed exams would be allowed to re-sit them, and if they pass, they would then go above the five Brits, who had passed all their exams initially, for preference to go to further education.
This is so wrong, you couldnt make it up!
The problem is, how and where can we complain? Would it get us anywhere?

doreen
28-06-2013, 08:34
Its not right by any stretch of the imagination. Just to throw another spanner in the works, my daughter, along with the other four students went back to their school to see the form teacher to complain. He said the system had changed this year, so any Canarian who had failed exams would be allowed to re-sit them, and if they pass, they would then go above the five Brits, who had passed all their exams initially, for preference to go to further education.

I'm afraid this seems to be in line with the new thinking of putting Canarian workers ahead of all others for jobs. Hope she and her friends do get places :)

http://portal.ajintem.com/noticias-espana/54-noticias-nacionales/92851-canarias-rivero-insiste-en-primar-la-contratacion-de-trabajadores-canarios.html

Loaded
28-06-2013, 08:50
It does seem wrong but if the British government did this and favored Brits over "foreigners" a lot of people would be cheering.

Be careful what you wish for

Goldenmaniac
28-06-2013, 12:59
Well it would be a long haul but maybe you try try your euro mp - protectionist policies being bandied around or not it is against EU directive quote
As EU citizens, your children are entitled to attend school in any EU country under the same conditions as nationals of that country. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/education/school/enroll/index_en.htm
and quote

Equal treatment
The most important of these rights is the right to equal treatment. Article 18 of the Treaty
on the Functioning of the European Union stipulates that, within the scope of application
of EU law and without affecting any special provisions, any discrimination on grounds of
nationality is prohibited.
The Directive extends this right to family members, which means that EU citizens and their
family members residing in the territory of the host EU country enjoy equal treatment
with the nationals of that EU country within the scope of the Treaty.
Initially I would lodge a formal written complaint -reclamación - citing article 18 (the Spanish version is on the Europa website)

Angusjim
28-06-2013, 13:10
I'm afraid this seems to be in line with the new thinking of putting Canarian workers ahead of all others for jobs. Hope she and her friends do get places :)

http://portal.ajintem.com/noticias-espana/54-noticias-nacionales/92851-canarias-rivero-insiste-en-primar-la-contratacion-de-trabajadores-canarios.html

Its a pity UK government would not do the same in our construction industry and stop all the Irish, Spaniards, Portuguese etc etc coming over and taking jobs from our tradesmen

Loaded
28-06-2013, 13:37
I think something needs to be considered before debating / arguing further:

The countries who CHOOSE to be part of the EU do so on the basis that they will follow EU law, this means that any person from a member state can travel to any other country in the EU and live their life pretty much as they would in their own country - so yes a polish workman can go to England and an English IT engineer can go to Poland, or Germany, or Spain..... wherever.

The difference in the Canaries is that they are part of Spain but have this "ultra periferal" status which means they can bend the rules a bit, and it's the bending of the rules that seems to create situations like this and others.

So comments like "the UK government should stop the foreigners coming in" etc..... this will never happen as long as Britain is part of the EU.

And similarly, if Britain exits the EU then expect it to become a lot harder for Brits to move to Spain, France, Portugal, etc...

Angusjim
28-06-2013, 14:07
I think something needs to be considered before debating / arguing further:

The countries who CHOOSE to be part of the EU do so on the basis that they will follow EU law, this means that any person from a member state can travel to any other country in the EU and live their life pretty much as they would in their own country - so yes a polish workman can go to England and an English IT engineer can go to Poland, or Germany, or Spain..... wherever.

The difference in the Canaries is that they are part of Spain but have this "ultra periferal" status which means they can bend the rules a bit, and it's the bending of the rules that seems to create situations like this and others.

So comments like "the UK government should stop the foreigners coming in" etc..... this will never happen as long as Britain is part of the EU.

And similarly, if Britain exits the EU then expect it to become a lot harder for Brits to move to Spain, France, Portugal, etc...

That's a great system all the benefits & hand outs from the EU but just opt out of the bits that don't suit you.

Goldenmaniac
28-06-2013, 15:05
Except that the ultra periferal status to my knowledge does not (yet anyway) give rise to this kind of positive discrimination. There is a protectionist import and financial regime and the difference in sales tax (IGIC) but although there are proposals to limit immigration (as in the case with Romanians when they could come here but not work up until this January) there is nothing in place yet to condone this as far as I know ???????. I realise you don't want to go into your child's education in minute detail in open forum but it would be interesting to know a bit more about the justification offered for the refusal. Good luck with your quest to get fair treatment.

Loaded
28-06-2013, 18:54
This may be spiraling off topic somewhat but as a guy who moved here aged 7 and grew up struggling against prejudice (for being English ) I actually consider myself European and not English or Canarian - therefore the comments about "taking out jobs" for me is wrong because all the EU countries have in effect become on big country with European Citizens who are free to go and study/work wherever they want.

warbey
28-06-2013, 19:26
I wonder if "Canarian Weekly" will mention this.

People with Residential Qualifications, Should be treated equally.. Whatever the Country..

marbro8
28-06-2013, 19:57
it all begs the question, why bother moving from your place of birth in the first place:(, because we all think we are going to get treated as fair as we treat other nationalities, but the sad truth is britain is a multicultural society that accepts, and is probably over agreeable towards anyone from other countries, but do not expect it to be reciprocated :( sorry woolli i know this post doesn't help you, hope you get your daughter and her friends sorted;) and in answer to your question yes it's either racism or favoritism:(

sundownersvince
29-06-2013, 00:06
Not surprised by this at all. The whole system in the Canaries is totally corrupt. If you do, and it will take some effort, persue this to a successful outcome, they will just say its a clerical/computer error. Regardless of this I'm sure your kids who are obviously as bright as their parents will surely win out in the end.
Good luck, Vince.

Angusjim
29-06-2013, 08:16
This may be spiraling off topic somewhat but as a guy who moved here aged 7 and grew up struggling against prejudice (for being English ) I actually consider myself European and not English or Canarian - therefore the comments about "taking out jobs" for me is wrong because all the EU countries have in effect become on big country with European Citizens who are free to go and study/work wherever they want.

Hopefully once the farce that is the Scottish referendum is over we will get the long awaited referendum on the UK EU membership, as a tax payer in the UK I am sick to death paying out to the countries such as Spain who have never contributed a penny to the EU since they joined.

woolli
29-06-2013, 08:44
Except that the ultra periferal status to my knowledge does not (yet anyway) give rise to this kind of positive discrimination. There is a protectionist import and financial regime and the difference in sales tax (IGIC) but although there are proposals to limit immigration (as in the case with Romanians when they could come here but not work up until this January) there is nothing in place yet to condone this as far as I know ???????. I realise you don't want to go into your child's education in minute detail in open forum but it would be interesting to know a bit more about the justification offered for the refusal. Good luck with your quest to get fair treatment.
Hi Goldenmaniac, the only justification given was that the system had changed this year in favour of the Canarians, due to the job situation. Apparently there are more Canarians this year trying to further their education, but, as previously stated this shouldnt be at the expense of Britains who have gained better resullts.
I will just give you one example, my daughter applied for further education at El Medano, out of 35 students her results were the 5th best. Where is she on the list? 35th!

9PLUS
29-06-2013, 09:32
Does it work on placement alone or point system?

i.e where you live if you have brother or sisters there etc etc

woolli
29-06-2013, 13:32
There is a points system Mark, but they still shouldnt at the bottom of every list for all the schools they have applied for. The way I see it if you have better exam results, you should be higher on the list!

warbey
29-06-2013, 19:59
If it isn't Racism it is most certainly Discriminatory..

9PLUS
29-06-2013, 23:58
We have a few Teachers in the family here, I'd asked one today if she knew of any new ruling etc alone those lines.

She thought it to be as strange as i did. She knew nothing about it. (but it is a private school she works at)

Javi
30-06-2013, 17:03
Hi Wooli!

All this sounds as a big misunderstanding. Unfortunately, as well as in England for example, you cannot apply for a place in any secondary school or collage you want. Your first "choice" must be the nearest one to where you are register as resident (the area shcool). You also can apply for another school but your application will be put on the bottom of the list and the place would be get it based on availability at the end of the admission period.

Calling your problem "racism" is too hard and surely it won't help to sort it out. I insist, it is everything a big misunderstanding, very easy to solve if you listen up and speak directly with "Jefe de estudio" or "Director" of the school.

Windgate has a ratio (the secretary told me) 3 British for one no-British...What is this? discrimination? or just silly rules?

Finally, sorry but I cannot believe that people who failed have had a place, it is imposible according with the education laws. You are not allowed to apply for secondary studies if you failed primary studies. Likewise, you cannot apply for either Bachillerato or Professional studies (Modulo superior) if you failed at secondary.

woolli
30-06-2013, 21:35
No misunderstanding Javi. Wingates, not Windgates is a private school, which is open to ANY nationality who have the funds
With regards to you saying its impossible according to education laws, when as Tenerife adhered to any laws? EU when it suits springs to mind.
With regards to your last paragraph you really dont have a clue. Dont be sorry, if you want proof please pm me and I will then scan to you the facts.

Javi
01-07-2013, 07:16
No misunderstanding Javi. Wingates, not Windgates is a private school, which is open to ANY nationality who have the funds
With regards to you saying its impossible according to education laws, when as Tenerife adhered to any laws? EU when it suits springs to mind.
With regards to your last paragraph you really dont have a clue. Dont be sorry, if you want proof please pm me and I will then scan to you the facts.

Wingate...I had and I still hacve the funds but even though I could not have a place for my son. But this could be another thread.

Quote: With regards to you saying its impossible according to education laws, when as Tenerife adhered to any laws? EU when it suits springs to mind (end quote)... Any proof of that would be welcome. If you are so sure, why wasting your time here on the forum instead of going to "Conserjería de Educación"...there you may see whether any law is still in force here.

woolli
01-07-2013, 08:03
I am not wasting my time on here, apart from replying to you, I am merely making people aware of what as happened.
As previously stated pm me your email address and I will send you the proof.
With regards to Wingate, if you where denied a place for your son what did you do about it?

Loaded
01-07-2013, 09:31
There was a time during my education in wingate where I accidentally parped and sent the whole class into histerics - Mr Green made me write a letter of apology..... So if you think that was an over the top reaction you could have called "wind gate"

Loaded
01-07-2013, 09:34
Wingate do have a policy of accepting only so many foreigners, it is a British school so they have to have a certain amount of Brits to keep that description true....

But it is discriminatory lol

marbro8
01-07-2013, 10:17
Wingate do have a policy of accepting only so many foreigners, it is a British school so they have to have a certain amount of Brits to keep that description true....

But it is discriminatory lolit must be bloody heart breaking for the kids to have worked so hard to achieve what they have, and then be told there are no places for them:angry:, what does it signify for other british kids wanting to further their education in tenerife:(

9PLUS
01-07-2013, 10:34
woolli I see your daughter and friends went to see the headmaster, are you planning to go alone with the other parents?

Ask for an explanation and copy of the new regs or a weblink to them, If they are still telling you want you don't want to hear report it to the Education dept.

Leave when you know the WHY. If that is how the Law is it's more than likely not the schools problem/fault so don't hammer them too much.

Maybe a good idea to take the info from Goldenmaniac with you. (Post #19 and use it as a last resort)

SarahandMe
01-07-2013, 12:24
The point made by Javi is important. It works that way in UK also. If you choose not to apply to your allocated school for a place, you are classed as out of area and at the back of the queue, regardless of marks obtained. I think they do this to stop elite schools taking shape.
Is this what happened in this particular case? Did the British pupils apply to their local school or not? If they did and did not get a place it is serious. If they did not, then it may not be a case of racism but existing rules.

woolli
01-07-2013, 14:22
The British pupils have applied for four schools in the South of Tenerife, but have not been accepted at any.

SarahandMe
01-07-2013, 15:36
By local school I meant their own school: San Miguel, according to the first post on this thread. If it is one of the four they are automatically accepted according to the points system. If the four do not include it, that may well be the problem i.e. 'out of area' so far fewer points in the ranking order compared to those 'in area' and even fewer than pupils from the four schools applied for. I can't believe it is a racism thing. Did they ask for San Miguel?

Javi
01-07-2013, 17:18
I am not wasting my time on here, apart from replying to you, I am merely making people aware of what as happened.
As previously stated pm me your email address and I will send you the proof.
With regards to Wingate, if you where denied a place for your son what did you do about it?

Sorry for waste your time (there is no ironic on this). I do not need any proof, because I am sure you are saying the truth. I have never come across with such strange situation neither when I was student and I shared school with foreings nor now that I have some young nices and nephews attending to state schools where foreings are too.

Regarding my son, I have successfully applied for a place for him in another school...the World keep on running.

Best of luck for your love ones.

9PLUS
01-07-2013, 17:32
Have you seen the lists?

You have so long to make a complant especially if you know other student have been accepted with lower grades, no bothers and/or sisters in the school

Use the point system to your advantage if you can see some wrong doing.

woolli
01-07-2013, 19:54
Ive got every list from every school Mark, in fact I have just scanned them to another forum member, who, hopefully can help us out.

Javi
02-07-2013, 07:05
Hi Woolli,

In this link you can see the current admission criteria http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/boc/2007/067/boc-2007-067-003.pdf.

If you meet these it shouldn't have any problem to get a place.

As a matter of fact, the criteria aren't based on scores or marks. Only when you are applying for a place in Bachillerato, these can help, but just a bit. First things to bear in mind are: the nearest school, your incomes (need to show your last IRPF), number of siblings, siblings in the same school...The system is supposed to facilitate the admission for those who have fewer incomes.
Fair or unfair... I don't know.
Hope this can bring a bit of light.

9PLUS
02-07-2013, 09:00
Hi Woolli,

As a matter of fact, the criteria aren't based on scores or marks. Only when you are applying for a place in Bachillerato, these can help, but just a bit. First things to bear in mind are: the nearest school, your incomes (need to show your last IRPF), number of siblings, siblings in the same school...The system is supposed to facilitate the admission for those who have fewer incomes.

Isn't that the very point system we were talking about Javi ?

Javi
02-07-2013, 16:35
Certainly 9Plus, I can't understand your question and I can't see any problem either. How many times on this forum, even on this thread, have you seen comments that went over and over again on a given topic?

I was only trying to make it clearer for Woolli who by the way thanked my contribution. So I guess, at least for her/him, it was useful.

bonitatime
04-07-2013, 18:30
Accademic results seem to play a very small part in the calculation. I hope these children get a place and am sure as the resits and children who have applied to more than one school pick one location places will be come available.
We spent a very long summer 4 years ago when my youngest decided she wanted to hi to Los Cris instead Of Adeje. She didnt get a place the First time around but by the time it shook out she was granted a place there. In the mean time she was also offered places in Guía de Isora and Granadilla both if which she didnt want.
Please dont despair, if you have no hoy with her present school try the education department in your local Town hall. They can see what places are available.

LeFrunk
04-07-2013, 19:24
Its a pity UK government would not do the same in our construction industry and stop all the Irish, Spaniards, Portuguese etc etc coming over and taking jobs from our tradesmen

BOLLOKS JIM , no need to bring the Irish into it . After all we are supposed to be neighbours ?

DeedeeTipperary
04-07-2013, 20:03
BOLLOKS JIM , no need to bring the Irish into it . After all we are supposed to be neighbours ?

To be honest I am saddened that in 2013 the " no dogs, no Irish " mentality is still alive and well

Angusjim
06-07-2013, 07:03

Quite frankly don't care if its Irish,Portuguese,Polish etc etc we cannot give employment to our own tradesmen why do we need to allow foreign tradesmen in.I think taxpayers in UK already pay enough to the EU to help all our neighbours

To be honest I am saddened that in 2013 the " no dogs, no Irish " mentality is still alive and well

Get a grip it was a general point not directed only at the Irish, its about the EU as a whole, if we have requirements for certain types of workers then fine, but theres no shortage of brickie's or joiners at the moment but that will come in the next couple of years BIG time because of the crazy policies being followed at the moment in the procurement process for the construction industry in the UK.

9PLUS
06-07-2013, 08:46
Isn't having restrictions of workers within the EU in one's country - protectionist Jim ?

Angusjim
06-07-2013, 13:30
Isn't having restrictions of workers within the EU in one's country - protectionist Jim ?

Correct Mark but why should we bother about EU rules.The Canaries have managed to secure protectionism to their labour market so why can't others, the French don't care about the farming policy or anything really, the Spaniards have for years put two fingers up to the fishing quotas laws and the Greeks & Portuguese & 90% of the eastern European countries that have joined are constantly standing with the begging bowl expecting handouts. Time for a rethink on EU membership me thinks. Anyway this won't help Woolli's kids so I will not post on this thread again as I am way off topic :ashamed:

LeFrunk
06-07-2013, 15:44
Correct Mark but why should we bother about EU rules.The Canaries have managed to secure protectionism to their labour market so why can't others, the French don't care about the farming policy or anything really, the Spaniards have for years put two fingers up to the fishing quotas laws and the Greeks & Portuguese & 90% of the eastern European countries that have joined are constantly standing with the begging bowl expecting handouts. Time for a rethink on EU membership me thinks. Anyway this won't help Woolli's kids so I will not post on this thread again as I am way off topic :ashamed:

We don't need a passport to go to England , Scotland or Wales so I think our countries are more attached than you think . I work in the construction industry and I welcome English , Scotts and Welsh on the sites , they get no hassle at all. We are all hard grafters and want to earn a few quid so the foreign lark doesn't rear its ugly haed over here . I agree with you about your point with EU membership for UK, the sooner UK gets out of it the better , just my opinion tho.

Oberon
14-08-2013, 09:39
What happened here? Any progress?

rosemary
14-08-2013, 11:17
The British pupils have applied for four schools in the South of Tenerife, but have not been accepted at any.

This is outrageous. I too wish to know what the latest information is Woolli. Never mind bashing the Irish or whatever or whoever. That is not helpful! And should be on another thread.

Please post soon Woolli.

Also if you don't get any answers then definitely contact the Canarian Weekly. It needs publicising.

warbey
14-08-2013, 20:06
Hi woolli. I* too wonder what has developed.

I understand the Ground-rules, but wonder how things progressed.

Did a Place / or Places become available.?

Thanks for finding the Thread Oberon.

Oberon
15-08-2013, 13:29
As Mr Woolli has not deigned to reply, I have taken it upon myself to investigate further.
I conclude that we have been misled folks . . . led up the proverbial garden path, and it’s not a very pretty garden.

I was interested in this thread because I think that if someone comes here from elsewhere and bravely entrusts their children’s education to the local public education system, irrespective of the merits or faults of the service provided, they should at least be treated fairly.
If the accusations in this thread were true, then it would be of great concern for everybody . . . and I mean everybody, on this island.

I have to assume that by “further education” the poster means “Bachillerato” which is roughly equivalent to British sixth form; equivalent age group anyway. In Spain for the first year you either do a Science and Technology module or a Humanities and Social Sciences module.
The wording of the opening post here implies that this is not available at Mr Woolli’s child’s school, IES San Miguel.
This is untrue. I looked it up; Bachillerato is available at his daughter’s school.
It seems that the children mentioned, for some undisclosed reason, tried to apply everywhere except for the one place they are automatically entitled to go to.

The nasty twist is in the thread title, “is this racism?”
I suppose it can be very tempting to put every set back or difficulty down to being a victim, but generally speaking, in Spain they tend to be fair. I’m not saying that individual racism isn’t rife around here, and the British seem to be among the worst perpetrators, but as far as administrative rights are concerned, we get a pretty good deal.
As the comedian Reginald D. Hunter said – Racism is like Vampirism, if you are attacked by one, you become one yourself.
We need to be careful with that and not be filling up threads with gratuitous insinuations.

This is just the sort of insidiously manipulative posting that really pisses me off, withholding information and carefully wording it to provoke the maximum outrage and instill prejudice . . . . and as far as I can see, for no other reason than a venting of frustration.

This sort of misinformation doesn’t help any of us. :redcard:

rosemary
15-08-2013, 19:30
Woolli originally stated that they applied to 4 schools. Los Cris, Medano, Las Galletas and Granadilla.
Isn't it possible that parents are extremely concerned about the state of the building in IES San Miguel which was reported as still being investigated by engineers this year. After massive cracks in the walls due to foundations being suspect and regular tremors. I would be if I was Woolli.

http://www.happy-children-internacional.com/acciones-1/i-e-s-san-miguel-la-soluci%C3%B3n/

I will pm Woolli

woolli
15-08-2013, 21:31
[QUOTE=Oberon;310363]As Mr Woolli has not deigned to reply, I have taken it upon myself to investigate further.
I conclude that we have been misled folks . . . led up the proverbial garden path, and it’s not a very pretty garden.

I was interested in this thread because I think that if someone comes here from elsewhere and bravely entrusts their children’s education to the local public education system, irrespective of the merits or faults of the service provided, they should at least be treated fairly.
If the accusations in this thread were true, then it would be of great concern for everybody . . . and I mean everybody, on this island.

I have to assume that by “further education” the poster means “Bachillerato” which is roughly equivalent to British sixth form; equivalent age group anyway. In Spain for the first year you either do a Science and Technology module or a Humanities and Social Sciences module.
The wording of the opening post here implies that this is not available at Mr Woolli’s child’s school, IES San Miguel.
This is untrue. I looked it up; Bachillerato is available at his daughter’s school.
It seems that the children mentioned, for some undisclosed reason, tried to apply everywhere except for the one place they are automatically entitled to go to.

I suppose it can be very tempting to put every set back or difficulty down to being a victim, but generally speaking, in Spain they tend to be fair. I’m not saying that individual racism isn’t rife around here, and the British seem to be among the worst perpetrators, but as far as administrative rights are concerned, we get a pretty good deal.
As the comedian Reginald D. Hunter said – Racism is like Vampirism, if you are attacked by one, you become one yourself.
We need to be careful with that and not be filling up threads with gratuitous insinuations.

This is just the sort of insidiously manipulative posting that really pisses me off, withholding information and carefully wording it to provoke the maximum outrage and instill prejudice . . . . and as far as I can see, for no other reason than a venting of frustration.

This sort of misinformation doesn’t help any of us. :redcard:[/QUOTE
Noberon you are back again! I will give you the information, and to you four that have thanked him, you are as bad!
First of all I have been on holiday, i am no geek who as got to go on this site, day in, day out.
Lets just clarify a few things.
1. yes San Miguel is offering Bachillerato. I have never said it wasnt.
2. It is the first time it as been offered, so no previous proof of good grades
3. The building is lets say, on its last legs, and I dont really want my daughter to have the roof over her head, as nearly happened last year
4 noberon, why as it taken you so long to reply?
To those who are generally interested in this thread, we went to see the director of Los Cris school, as our next door neighbour goes there. We were told that nothing can be done until September, until, apparently when alot of the Canarians dont want to further their education.
Noberon, why should British children with better grades and exam results than their Canarian counterparts be put at the bottom of the list?
Why should my daughter not be able to choose what school she wants to go to after passing every exam?
This is not mis-information Noberon, this is FACT!

YOUNG GOLFER
15-08-2013, 22:15
I am not a geek and i can thank any post i like .............and to call him what you have rather than his user name explains alot.

rosemary
15-08-2013, 22:42
Oberon and supporters I think you all owe Woolli an apology.

There has been no attempt by Woolli to 'deliberately mislead', or put up an 'insiduous manipulative' posting intent upon 'instilling racism'.

That IES school in San Miguel is in a highly dangerous state.

woolli
16-08-2013, 07:22
I am not a geek and i can thank any post i like .............and to call him what you have rather than his user name explains alot.
Stuart, who called you a geek? And if you want to thank someone who is trying to cause trouble and knows no facts at all, thats fine.
I am not being manipulative, I am not withholding any information, and I am not on here to provoke outrage. Everything that I have stated is TRUE FACTS.
I want whats best for my daughter. Wouldnt you Stuart?
Can you imagine this happening in the UK? Can you imagine what would happen if Pakistani kids, or any foreign kids for that matter got better results than their British counterparts and were not allowed access to further education? There would be mass demonstrations at Downing street, and it would be front page news. It would certainly be classed as RACISM.

candy2411
16-08-2013, 08:11
I can well understand any parent wanting the best education for their child but to have the thread titled 'Is this racism?' is quite wrong IMO as it clearly is not.

Many things in life are not fair but to use the racism card is clearly unjustified in a situation like this. Too many people use the term in order to achieve the result they think they deserve but IMO it is another form of bullying.

Having said that woolli, I really hope your daughter gets the education you wish .

fonica
16-08-2013, 09:28
[QUOTE=Oberon;310363]As Mr Woolli has not deigned to reply, I have taken it upon myself to investigate further.

This sort of misinformation doesn’t help any of us. :redcard:[/QUOTE
Noberon you are back again! I will give you the information, and to you four that have thanked him, you are as bad!
First of all I have been on holiday, i am no geek who as got to go on this site, day in, day out.
Lets just clarify a few things.
1. yes San Miguel is offering Bachillerato. I have never said it wasnt.
2. It is the first time it as been offered, so no previous proof of good grades
3. The building is lets say, on its last legs, and I dont really want my daughter to have the roof over her head, as nearly happened last year
4 noberon, why as it taken you so long to reply?
To those who are generally interested in this thread, we went to see the director of Los Cris school, as our next door neighbour goes there. We were told that nothing can be done until September, until, apparently when alot of the Canarians dont want to further their education.
Noberon, why should British children with better grades and exam results than their Canarian counterparts be put at the bottom of the list?
Why should my daughter not be able to choose what school she wants to go to after passing every exam?
This is not mis-information Noberon, this is FACT!

Oberon took the time and trouble to look into your complaint and to be fair many parents are more than happy with the education that their children have had and are getting in IES San Miguel.I was please and therefore thanked him because I now know that it wasn't racism that caused your problem.I have lived on the island for 30 years,taught here and brought our children up here now I have grandchildren here.It isn't perfect and many things need to change but I haven't come across racism here and don't like to see it suggested on the forum. When I get fed up of the bigots on the forum I leave it alone for a couple of months and then I get a message asking me why I haven't posted.This is why!!!! Nasty people who can't fight their battles without taking it out on someone else who may have an opinion.I hope your daughter gets into the school of your choice but if she doesn't it will not be racism that stops her.

rosemary
16-08-2013, 09:34
Woolli there may be many other Spanish parents from San Miguel all thinking the same as you and wanting to move elsewhere. This must be putting a big strain on the other schools and as far as I understand it San Miguel is saying the school is structurally OK but others are saying No it isn't and asking for EU intervention. Big political issue here I suspect.

candy2411
16-08-2013, 11:57
Sorry, but there are schools, hospitals even, all over the UK never mind the European Union in need of a massive cash injection. Hardly a case for EU intervention, not even sure it's a political issue tbh., never mind racist???

rosemary
16-08-2013, 12:41
Sorry, but there are schools, hospitals even, all over the UK never mind the European Union in need of a massive cash injection. Hardly a case for EU intervention, not even sure it's a political issue tbh., never mind racist???

I suggest you do some research online and find out. There are serious structural problems with the building and the school itself has been in denial. There are others who vehemently disagree and have asked for outside investigation from the EU.

This Forum won't allow me to put up a good link to all this for reasons I suspect are to do with a certain person's history. I don't blame anyone. But the site is very informative on this issue, if you know her name.

YOUNG GOLFER
16-08-2013, 12:58
What I would like to know is were these young girls offered a place for further education at I.E.S San Miguel?

And rosemary god knows why you are going on about serious structural problems because I cant see anywhere woolie mentioning this until you did yesterday....... and to be honest whether it has structural problems I would be sure the powers that be would not put children and teachers at risk...............and not forgetting this problem had nothing what so ever to do with the title of this thread.

My daughter has not been accepted for further education. Is this racism

]Oberon and supporters I think you all owe Woolli an apology[/B]. FOR WHAT THANKING A POST.................

There has been no attempt by Woolli to 'deliberately mislead', or put up an 'insiduous manipulative' posting intent upon 'instilling racism'.

That IES school in San Miguel is in a highly dangerous state. BUT IS IT RACIST

AL JAY
16-08-2013, 13:01
woolli nowhere in your opening post did it mention that the school was in a state of disrepair or that she could stay there for her further edudcation [Bachillerato]

In post 63 you said "I never said it wasn't" but you never said it WAS!!!

Im in the UK and so i can only go from what i read on the thread,i thanked Oberon for taking the time to investigate the apparent problem and give us the true facts,not a carefully worded opening post that never!

I sincerely hope your daughter's situation is resolved but i think you could have let us know all the facts in your opening post

TOTO 99
16-08-2013, 13:07
Woolli

You're gonna need to get mugged again in the hope of pulling a few friends back mate....:lol:

Hope it turns out ok for your daughter anyway.

fonica
16-08-2013, 13:18
I suggest you do some research online and find out. There are serious structural problems with the building and the school itself has been in denial. There are others who vehemently disagree and have asked for outside investigation from the EU.

This Forum won't allow me to put up a good link to all this for reasons I suspect are to do with a certain person's history. I don't blame anyone. But the site is very informative on this issue, if you know her name.
Most of the regular posters on the forum can read the Spanish press and we are very aware of what is going on in San Miguel.However the state of the building (if in fact it is in need of repair) does not affect the standard of teaching.Look at the school in Guaza !!!!However I too umbridge when the problem was linked to racism and really don't feel the need to apologise.This is a forum and people are entitled to an opinion.

rosemary
16-08-2013, 13:49
Guys
Woolli may well have been aware of the structural problems with the school and decided for own reasons that it could be an unsafe building and so naturally applied to 4 other schools, who refused her daughter. A very understandable error made here as the school is obviously still taking pupils. OK Woolli didn't understand the situation in full, with reference to certain quotas and other areas of choice being unavailable, consequently made a 'racist' connection.
In circumstances where ONLY daughters of UK nationals are being refused entry to other schools, I think it was a perfectly understandable interpretation for Woolli to have made. I think many other parents of UK nationals will have felt the same.....
Stop moralising guys, you are all on the defensive and sounding way too aggressive and self righteous..
Enough already.

woolli
16-08-2013, 15:16
As Fonica says it is about opinions. My opinion is that it is racist. I have posted that this would never be allowed to happen in the Uk, strangely enough no-one replied to that.
As I stated previously I would keep members updated with regards to my daughters situation, and would like to thank the teachers,directors, and other bodies that have supported our stance.
Again as previously stated, we will not find anything out until sometime in September. I will then post what as happened.

9PLUS
16-08-2013, 15:20
when they told us there was only 40 places for pupils in a local school we wanted to send our girl.

I clicked my fingers and got the placement....worked for Franco, worked for 9PLUS the ladies favorite :wink:

cheers

xxx

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 15:23
when they told us there was only 40 places for pupils in a local school we wanted to send our girl.

I clicked my fingers and got the placement....worked for Franco, worked for 9PLUS the ladies favorite :wink:

cheers

xxx

Education eh ?:whistle::D

glad you ain't righting my script :lol:

9PLUS
16-08-2013, 15:32
That's what happens then you deal with Americans.

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 15:40

cheers

xxx

Franco was American ??:wink:

Oberon
16-08-2013, 17:56
To those who are generally interested in this thread, we went to see the director of Los Cris school, as our next door neighbour goes there. We were told that nothing can be done until September, until, apparently when a lot of the Canarians don’t want to further their education.
I am one of those who is generally interested in this thread, Mr Woolli, and so I thank you for the update.

Let’s not get upset, I’m sure it’ll all work out alright in the end, I’m pretty sure that your daughter will get in wherever she wants to go once the sorting process has run its course in September. And especially if she has such good grades, they will want her there. But, however much they would like to have her, they will not be able to jump the selection process just because she has great grades.

What got me upset were the allegations of discrimination; indeed if what you were trying to imply were true then it would have been truly worrying. In fact that is one of the reasons I was so genuinely interested in the thread.

But now we can see all the facts more clearly.
Your daughter is entitled to a place taking the bachillerato at her school in San Miguel, and they would have to accept her before any children coming from other areas (whatever her grades).
But she wants to change schools, so she has to go to the bottom of the list. This would also happen to Spanish children if they were to apply for the school in San Miguel, so there is no discrimination.
Regarding your questions -

Because that is how the system works. The same would apply the other way round.

Because that is not how the system works.

And the answer to your rhetorical question in the thread title is a good solid no.

Oberon and supporters I think you all owe Woolli an apology.

OK
Woolli, I sincerely apologise if have offended you in any way, I’m sure your daughter is very nice and I hope she gets what she wants in the end.
However I would like to point out that Knob is spelt with a K.

Yours
Knoberon

TOTO 99
16-08-2013, 18:21
There you go...all nicely cleaned up and everyone's happy...

I have to warn you though...the name Knoberon is now firmly implanted in everyone's brain..you're stuck with it..:laugh:

YOUNG GOLFER
16-08-2013, 18:42
http://theblacksheeponline.com/article/noberon-day............................

like the bit where it says

PICK YOUR CAMPUS BELOW

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

warbey
16-08-2013, 19:58
I worked in an Industry where correct and complete Information was cosidered essential.

I don't thinlk You gave this Woolli, and in My Opinion, Your Post was misleading and biased as a result.

This resulted in My being very sympathetic towards Your Daughter's misfortune.

A Post by Javi corrected and filled in the missing Information ,which You either ignored or were not aware of.

Oberon has recently reiterated the Arrangements in force.

I too hope Your Daughter gets the Place She has worked for, but the Racist Tag is not fair,

and I believe YOU owe the Canarian Education People an Apology for Accusing Them of being Racist.

Don't You.?

I still hope it ends well.. Please let Us Know.....

candy2411
16-08-2013, 20:21
Woolli, I think you're aware by now it was the 'is this racism' suggestion that annoyed a few people (me included).

Hopefully you now realise that was a mistake and this can all be forgotten......

I can fully appreciate your situation when all you want is the best for your daughter, and fully commend you for feeling this way, I know if I had a child I'd be as feisty as they come in getting the best for my child in whatever way I could.

I really hope everything works out well for your daughter ,your obviously a Dad who cares very much and it's a pity there aren't more like you.

Hope there's no hard feelings, I really wish you and your daughter well:)

woolli
16-08-2013, 21:17
Thanks for all your heart-felt feelings, especially Knoberon, and my apologies for getting the nob wrong.
Could someone just put my mind at ease, I have asked on several occasions would this happen in the UK?
I await you comments! And if it wouldnt, why should it be allowed to happen here?

Oberon
16-08-2013, 21:22
Thanks for all your heart-felt feelings, especially Knoberon, and my apologies for getting the nob wrong.
Could someone just put my mind at ease, I have asked on several occasions would this happen in the UK?
I await you comments! And if it wouldnt, why should it be allowed to happen here?

You just don't get it, do you?

woolli
16-08-2013, 21:27
You just don't get it, do you?

You a politician ob? answer the question?
I asked the question "would this be allowed to happen in the UK?" I asked this over seven hours ago, I still await a reply!

lesbroz
16-08-2013, 23:32
You a politician ob? answer the question?
I asked the question "would this be allowed to happen in the UK?" I asked this over seven hours ago, I still await a reply!

As far as I can make out, this would happen in the uk.

The intake at schools works on the basis that you will be offered a place at a school in your catchment area. If you wish your child to go to a school out side of the catchment, the school (if it has places available) will then look at other criteria. e.g. a sibling already attends the school.

In the uk they very rarely look at a childs academic achievements unless you are paying for private education.

melm
17-08-2013, 00:22
As far as I can make out, this would happen in the uk.

The intake at schools works on the basis that you will be offered a place at a school in your catchment area. If you wish your child to go to a school out side of the catchment, the school (if it has places available) will then look at other criteria. e.g. a sibling already attends the school.

In the uk they very rarely look at a childs academic achievements unless you are paying for private education.

Yes its the same where I live. If you are not in the catchment area for your chosen school you go to the end of the queue irrespective of grades. my cousin's daughter has been accepted for a school,not in her catchment area,but she waited about 4months before she was given a place. My brother moved house to get his family into his preferred school. Not everyone can afford to do that

TOTO 99
17-08-2013, 07:09
In Woolli's defence here, the title of the thread says "is this racism" not "this is racism". There's a big difference.

Perhaps the word "Discrimination" would have brought a completely different set of comments?

Oberon
17-08-2013, 09:04
In Woolli's defence here, the title of the thread says "is this racism?" not "this is racism". There's a big difference.

There is no defence, that is a rhetorical question backed up by a cynical manipulation of the facts.

There has been no discrimination here at all, we were misled. And I feel sorry for his daughter if she has been persuaded that she is being discriminated against, it will do her no good.

As far as the forum is concerned I think there should be just a teensy bit of outrage.

rosemary
17-08-2013, 09:09
There is no defence, that is a rhetorical question backed up by a cynical manipulation of the facts.

There has been no discrimination here at all, we were misled. And I feel sorry for his daughter if she has been persuaded that she is being discriminated against, it will do her no good.

As far as the forum is concerned I think there should be just a teensy bit of outrage.

Oberon you are now being pedantic because it suits your purpose to be so. Let us all leave criticising Woolli and address the issue when and if there is still an issue in September.

Oberon
17-08-2013, 09:13
Sorry, what exactly is my "purpose"?

TOTO 99
17-08-2013, 09:28

You must be the only one on here who doesn't know the answer to that question.

Sliding in phrases like " I feel sorry for his daughter" tell me all I need to know.

Ricman
17-08-2013, 10:18
My daughter has not been accepted for further education.

Reading through, cannot seem to be able to find a definitive answer, so perhaps someone can help :-

Has the young lady been offered further education ? Yes No

YOUNG GOLFER
17-08-2013, 10:37
In Woolli's defence here, the title of the thread says "is this racism" not "this is racism". There's a big difference.

Perhaps the word "Discrimination" would have brought a completely different set of comments?

But in post 77 woollie said in his opinion it is racist.

TOTO 99
17-08-2013, 10:41
But in post 77 woollie said in his opinion it is racist.
I'll take your word for it...this is worse than the Illegal lettings...lol

Angusjim
17-08-2013, 10:49
I'll take your word for it...this is worse than the Illegal lettings...lol

must be bad even MM keeping a low profile:whistle:

fonica
17-08-2013, 10:50
As Fonica says it is about opinions. My opinion is that it is racist. I have posted that this would never be allowed to happen in the Uk, strangely enough no-one replied to that.
As I stated previously I would keep members updated with regards to my daughters situation, and would like to thank the teachers,directors, and other bodies that have supported our stance.
Again as previously stated, we will not find anything out until sometime in September. I will then post what as happened.

Woolli,I can understand that you are annoyed but I promise you that many,many Spanish kids don't get to the school of their choice or get the courses that they want to do.You can apply again and see what happens in September.The education department is something of a disaster but a disaster for everyone NOT just British kids.Just another quick point.How many British kids have left the island in the last few years? I have friends who teach in the Spanish system and they get very frustrated when they have spent many months helping non Spanish speaking kids to adapt into the Spanish system and then just as it's all coming together ,they leave.Usually without even a "goodbye".This doesn't help your cause as at the back of the minds of people making decisions about placements, is the question about how long they will be on the island.

rosemary
17-08-2013, 11:41
Fonica thankyou. A very enlightening post. Had never considered this point before about the difficulty for teachers. But it shouldn't affect placements of course. It's just another one of those everyday downsides of teaching these days. People moving on everywhere....

melm
17-08-2013, 11:53
Woolli,I can understand that you are annoyed but I promise you that many,many Spanish kids don't get to the school of their choice or get the courses that they want to do.You can apply again and see what happens in September.The education department is something of a disaster but a disaster for everyone NOT just British kids.Just another quick point.How many British kids have left the island in the last few years? I have friends who teach in the Spanish system and they get very frustrated when they have spent many months helping non Spanish speaking kids to adapt into the Spanish system and then just as it's all coming together ,they leave.Usually without even a "goodbye".This doesn't help your cause as at the back of the minds of people making decisions about placements, is the question about how long they will be on the island.

Aquaintances of mine have done just that and returned to the UK for their childrens secondary schooling. They have come from mainland Spain and settled in the area they want the teenagers to finish their education. She seems to think they will get a better education here?????????? and a little bit of snob value in her choice.

rosemary
17-08-2013, 12:57
Aquaintances of mine have done just that and returned to the UK for their childrens secondary schooling. They have come from mainland Spain and settled in the area they want the teenagers to finish their education. She seems to think they will get a better education here?????????? and a little bit of snob value in her choice.

Why call it snobby? It is their choice. IMO they are probably correct in that the standard of education in some Scottish schools is way higher than either England (I think Wales is very high, not sure about Ireland?) or Europe. On the downside if there is one it is that their language skills may not be so proficient. But having had some years of primary in Spain when language is embedded more easily in the brain,! they will have had a great start in life.

A good education for their children is paramount to some people. Not to others. That might make a good thread....

melm
17-08-2013, 15:05
Why call it snobby? It is their choice. IMO they are probably correct in that the standard of education in some Scottish schools is way higher than either England (I think Wales is very high, not sure about Ireland?) or Europe. On the downside if there is one it is that their language skills may not be so proficient. But having had some years of primary in Spain when language is embedded more easily in the brain,! they will have had a great start in life.

A good education for their children is paramount to some people. Not to others. That might make a good thread....

she is quite right in looking for the best possible education for her family and of course the choice is hers, places in school permitting.
Snobby.......you would agree if you knew her:laugh:

9PLUS
17-08-2013, 16:40
IMO they are probably correct in that the standard of education in some Scottish schools is way higher than either England (I think Wales is very high, not sure about Ireland?) or Europe.

Why is they all thick then?

melm
17-08-2013, 16:43

:fryingpan::nono::nono:

rosemary
17-08-2013, 18:35

Ah ...I did say SOME Scottish schools...

Way ahead of you 9Plus. Go to the back...

Oberon
17-08-2013, 19:19
Am I being accused of being a troll here?

Oberon you are now being pedantic because it suits your purpose to be so. Let us all leave criticising Woolli and address the issue when and if there is still an issue in September. I am addressing the thread title. Once all the facts have been cleared up, this thread is all about the thread title in my view.

Please tell me Rosemary.

You must be the only one on here who doesn't know the answer to that question.

Sliding in phrases like " I feel sorry for his daughter" tell me all I need to know. Unfortunately worded when quoted like that but absolutely no offence is intended. I do not even know the people in question and I have already wished them the best outcome to their predicament. I think these children will get what they want in September. As I said, it's the thread title that worries me.

I was simply saying that it can't be good for someone to believe they are being discriminated against because of their nationality when that is not the case.

rosemary
17-08-2013, 19:35
Oberon in answer to your continued question...what purpose?

IMO you were being pedantic, because you wanted to prove your point i.e. that Woolli IYO is a racist, because of the title of the thread that he chose. I would suggest Woolli was simply begging the question. He may be a racist, he may not. Maybe he thinks it is a racist issue. As we do not yet have the full facts I would say let's wait and see.

Personally I would have avoided using the word Racist. I think discriminatory is perhaps a wiser choice to use.

Oberon
17-08-2013, 20:07
My dear Rosemary, You are way way off the mark. I don't know where you get the idea that I think Woolli is racist.
I do not think that, and I have never implied that. Of course he may be, I don't know the guy. I would never accuse him of being a racist.

I don't think he's a racist, I just think he is wrong, very wrong. And that's not so bad.

What he should not do is try to persuade us that he has been the victim of institutional discrimination when that is clearly not the case. I think that is outrageous and wrong. That's all.

woolli
18-08-2013, 19:13
I'm not sure if this is going to reply to anyone in particular or to the whole thread. I've never used Tenerife Forum before so just bear with me.

I am Woolli's daughter. I would've made my own account but I get the "The solution of task you submitted was incorrect." error and I've no idea what that means or how to do anything about it.

Perhaps "discrimination" would be a better word for what had happened to my friends and I, but after the years of racism thrown my way what is my dad to think? I've been called "giri" more times than I can count (if you're a parent who plans on sending their child to Spanish school be prepared to hear that word a lot), I've been told to go back to my country and I've heard the term "****ing English" to describe my friends and I so many times you wouldn't believe. Maybe we're not allowed to curse on TF, maybe I should censor that but that wouldn't stop it from happening in schools all over Tenerife. This is why my dad is so quick to ask about racism, he's seen it and heard it. I'm sure a lot of you, if you live on the island, have seen it or heard it. That's why the word "racist" was used rather than "discrimination." It's upset a lot of people and there's your answer.

I've been asked many times why I didn't apply to San Miguel school for bachillerato. I'll tell you why: because it's a bad school. I'm not saying hasn't had its fair share of good teachers, some of the teachers that got me through 4º ESO were wonderful. No, what I'm saying is it has the worst organisation I've ever heard of in a school. I'll give you an example. Last year when I returned for fourth year some intelligent person decided that a one way system would better suit the school's narrow corridors and rowdy not-rights so, instead of a class having an allocated classroom as we usually did we ran around the whole school, one classroom for lengua, another for maths and so on. It was a week before we got our timetables. Not even the teachers nor the head knew where the children were going to be learning. Is that good organisation? Even when we managed to get timetables we were running about the school like idiots trying to find where our biology classrooms were because they only bothered to give us one class at the start of the year and a couple of arrows through the hallways to tell us where we were meant to be. All this disarray because of a one way system! And now they're planning on putting a sixth form/college in there! Who knows when we'd get our timetables? Who knows if there'd be enough teachers there to teach secondary and sixth form/college? Who on Earth would want to go to school for that? Honestly, it'll be like a farm full of decapitated chickens in there. So that's why I didn't want to go back to San Miguel for sixth form/college. Is that cleared up now? Am I allowed to want a better education in a better school?

I'm not sure there's anything else to address so I'll leave it at that. Thank you in advance to anybody willing to read my paragraph, and thank you as well to those who have wished me luck, it's much appreciated!

TOTO 99
18-08-2013, 19:21
Wow..

You tell 'em Woolli jr...
At least we know the language filter works...:laugh:

Good luck wherever you end up going..:tiphat:

junglejim
18-08-2013, 19:27
To Woolli´s daughter- thanks very much for an eloquent explanation of your issue and reasoning !
unfortunately I have also heard the use of Gúiri quite a lot in a derogatory sense here and am disappointed that the Canarians still use this expression to describe people who bring wealth and prosperity to what would otherwise be a backward Colonial Plantation.
It´s a shame that people are less inclusive and especially in times of stress on society where they target foreigners as the root cause of problems instead of their Governments , it´s not unique to here but it does hurt .
In terms of your ambitions I hope you get what you wish for , personally I don´t know enough about the system to help improve it - perhaps others do .
In the meantime "Nil Desperandum " and be proud your father is batting for you !

rosemary
18-08-2013, 19:37
Woolli's daughter that is a wonderful letter, and we needed to hear it! Thankyou. Not only have you vindicated your father but you have allowed us to see further into the problems that young English nationals come up against in their every day experience as 'outsiders' or 'giris'. My heart goes out to you children, you have a very difficult situation to deal with on a daily basis and you have your worried parents to consider, whom you do not wish to put under any further stress.

I don't know what to say to you except you have my admiration and full support. I wish you well. I hope it all comes good and that you don't have to return to that particular school. I sincerely hope you hold out for something better which does exist on the island! It's not easy for you students, boys and girls. But please keep the faith. You have so much more on the positive side here on this lovely island. And do remember you will be able to speak Spanish with complete fluency when you graduate. How many students in the UK will have that!
Of course you are fully entitled to want a better school! Keep up your high standards. Demand them! Every young person in education here should be feeling the same way. It has NOTHING to do with being a Giri.
Of course there is racism. I have heard it. Directly to myself and from friends. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from denying it. Just turn away. It's life. There's good and bad and then there is racism. Twas ever thus!

warbey
18-08-2013, 19:40
Hi, and thanks for the Explanation. I wouldn't wish to attend a School which were like that either.

Sadly, It doesnt answer the main Point.

You or Your Daughter, have not Yet been offered a Place at an alternative School, because that's the Way the System Works.

For EVERYBODY. whatever Their Race or creed. It cannot be either Racial or Discriminatory up to that Point, as a Result.

I hope We can ALL Agree with that.? I.m pretty certain Oberon will too..................

TOTO 99
18-08-2013, 19:46
Hi, and thanks for the Explanation. I wouldn't wish to attend a School which were like that either.

Sadly, It doesnt answer the main Point.

You or Your Daughter, have not Yet been offered a Place at an alternative School, because that's the Way the System Works.

For EVERYBODY. whatever Their Race or creed. It cannot be either Racial or Discriminatory up to that Point, as a Result.

I hope We can ALL Agree with that.? I.m pretty certain Oberon will too..................

Misery guts..:laugh:

warbey
18-08-2013, 20:22
Misery guts..:laugh:

and I didn't even mention the Lack of reference to the Academic achievements of the School either.

Are They abysmal too?. and will another School be an improvement.?

I still wish the Young Lady all the best, but will another School be the Answer?

rosemary
18-08-2013, 20:43
and I didn't even mention the Lack of reference to the Academic achievements of the School either.

Are They abysmal too?. and will another School be an improvement.?

I still wish the Young Lady all the best, but will another School be the Answer?

What with all the dodgy foundations as well, undoubtedly!

candy2411
18-08-2013, 20:52
To woolli's daughter, thanks for your post but have to say .....be wary of being disrespectful of the Canarian education system,Don't forget you are living in their domain and sometimes I'm sure it feels like banging your head against a wall!!

However, with that feisty attitude I'm sure you'll go far. :goodluck:

fonica
18-08-2013, 23:03
To Woolli´s daughter- thanks very much for an eloquent explanation of your issue and reasoning !
unfortunately I have also heard the use of Gúiri quite a lot in a derogatory sense here and am disappointed that the Canarians still use this expression to describe people who bring wealth and prosperity to what would otherwise be a backward Colonial Plantation.
It´s a shame that people are less inclusive and especially in times of stress on society where they target foreigners as the root cause of problems instead of their Governments , it´s not unique to here but it does hurt .
In terms of your ambitions I hope you get what you wish for , personally I don´t know enough about the system to help improve it - perhaps others do .
In the meantime "Nil Desperandum " and be proud your father is batting for you !

Do you really think that Tenerife would "be a backward Colonial Plantation" without the Brits input? Historically the first British to settle on the island resided in the north where they had their own club,bars,restaurants, school, church and library.In the main they didn't speak Spanish and they kept themselves to themselves using the locals girls as cleaners and little else. They were followed by the "British Tourists" who visited the south of the island and we had some fine specimens there, large groups of drunken yobs, fighting and wrecking hotels. They really helped to change the island!
Education changed the island together with the EU investment and some clever people like Herr Kessler with his investment in Loro Parque and Siam Park as well as luxury hotels in the north. He was doing this whilst John Palmer and his crew were holding the south to ransom.
The racist comments that the very well educated daughter of Woolli refers to are unpleasant if you take them in a British context. However the kids here refer to each other as Godos, Gidies, Negros, Moros etc. There is some racism on the island now especially against the Muslim kids but it's recent and in the main comes from the stuff the kids see on the TV. The other kids don't take this as an insult but of course the British kids who are reared on extreme political correctness are easily offended. We had Billy Bunter and four eyes etc. as teasing when we were in our school years. Woollies daughter is going to find this in whichever school she goes to as she will find lack of organization. The latter caused by the education department in Santa Cruz who for years have done little but harm the moral of teachers on the islands.

9PLUS
18-08-2013, 23:24
With all that said she'll still have to wait in the queue if she wants secondary education especially in another school and regardless of her exam results.

Oberon is clear on that point and correct.

junglejim
19-08-2013, 01:35
Sorry Fonica read where in my post it refer to British ?
i have heard in various bars , some " British" and some "Canarian " where all foreigners were referred to as Güiris , even on a Policeman´s night out !
Like it or not Spain and many other country´s have racism , but get real ! Without Tourism this Island would be what the Guanches were doing century´s before , - if you don´t want Tourists to bring money to Tenerife , tell them to eff off , don´t suck off their nipple !

YOUNG GOLFER
19-08-2013, 02:37

fonica
19-08-2013, 04:57
i have heard in various bars , some " British" and some "Canarian " where all foreigners were referred to as Güiris , even on a Policeman´s night out !
Like it or not Spain and many other country´s have racism , but get real ! Without Tourism this Island would be what the Guanches were doing century´s before , - if you don´t want Tourists to bring money to Tenerife , tell them to eff off , don´t suck off their nipple !

They are called Grockles in Devon but we don't get hysterical about it!!!The British attitude towards the Canarians IS racist even though they are living in their country as foreigners.I hear the insults all the time and often from people who shouldn't be allowed to lick their boots.My point still remains that there is very little racism here and the local people have accepted a massive influx of all kinds of foreigners without complaint.In my granddaughters class there are only two Canarians the rest are from 16 other countries and they make the best of it.With some give and take, understanding on all sides and less talk of racism,peace can reign!I hope the girls get to the school of their choice and when and if they do,they treat the name calling as banter and ignore it.Britain has proved that you can't legislate aginst name calling.Teach your kids to be proud of their origins whatever colour,race or creed and they'll cope with what life throws at them.

KirstyJay
19-08-2013, 09:38

I had to read your post a second time to realise you didn't mention British. It certainly sounded in sentiment like you were speaking about British people, so I think it's an honest mistake of Fonica's in the absence of anything specifically saying you we're referring to many nationalities.

I'm not having a go, just saying that it was an easy assumption to make from the way your post read. :)

Addressing your point that the island would just be a big banana plantation if tourism hadn't come is a bit derogatory though. I think the locals who have been to university, trained, worked hard etc might be a tad insulted by such a sweeping statement...

Also, I can't see what's so bad with being in the farming or agriculture sector at the moment. In the current crisis, these type of industries are the ones that are going to survive. They actually produce something. So why does it sound like you think that being a banana farmer is a bad thing?

rosemary
19-08-2013, 11:05
I had to read your post a second time to realise you didn't mention British. It certainly sounded in sentiment like you were speaking about British people, so I think it's an honest mistake of Fonica's in the absence of anything specifically saying you we're referring to many nationalities.

I'm not having a go, just saying that it was an easy assumption to make from the way your post read. :)

Addressing your point that the island would just be a big banana plantation if tourism hadn't come is a bit derogatory though. I think the locals who have been to university, trained, worked hard etc might be a tad insulted by such a sweeping statement...

Also, I can't see what's so bad with being in the farming or agriculture sector at the moment. In the current crisis, these type of industries are the ones that are going to survive. They actually produce something. So why does it sound like you think that being a banana farmer is a bad thing?

Very good point. Maybe agriculture would be thriving. I wish it could be true. The more I think about the more attractive it sounds. I am beginning to see tourism as the scourge of the planet. As opposed to residents! :laugh:

But I think we have to also bear in mind that the Canaries, much like the West Indies, is now full of more educated people who prefer office jobs to farming, which is still considered to be peasants work. Tourism was once seen as an escape route from hard labour. Now it is seen as enforced subjugation to foreigners i.e. guiris.

What goes around comes around...

junglejim
19-08-2013, 11:28
Kirsty , I deliberately didn´t use "British" because what I heard was targetted at several nationalities by Canarian Policemen on a night out on the Bevvy !
I remember when most of the South was a "Big Banana Plantation" and the Island´s economy relied on it , without Tourism and the money it brings to support the Island , they couldn´t afford decent Universities and Education and from Wooli´s daughter´s post - they still cant.
As for them being well educated ,that´s worked out well - calling somebody a Gúiri is Racist pure and simple , we see enough of it in the UK !
My opinion,my experience , if you don´t like it then ban me , seems to be the way on here !

rosemary
19-08-2013, 11:40
Jungle Jim

'Educated' is a relative term! It means people can read and write and that's about it, or it means they become professionals....what I meant was basic education.

And no amount of education will stop someone becoming a racist if they want to be one, in my experience.

Angusjim
19-08-2013, 13:24
Kirsty , I deliberately didn´t use "British" because what I heard was targetted at several nationalities by Canarian Policemen on a night out on the Bevvy !
I remember when most of the South was a "Big Banana Plantation" and the Island´s economy relied on it , without Tourism and the money it brings to support the Island , they couldn´t afford decent Universities and Education and from Wooli´s daughter´s post - they still cant.
As for them being well educated ,that´s worked out well - calling somebody a Gúiri is Racist pure and simple , we see enough of it in the UK !
My opinion,my experience , if you don´t like it then ban me , seems to be the way on here !

Cannot ban you JJ who is going to answer questions about the Tenerife bus service:wave:

TOTO 99
19-08-2013, 13:51
Cannot ban you JJ who is going to answer questions about the Tenerife bus service:wave:

Perhaps a temporary ban, just to teach him a lesson..:smack:....:laugh:

junglejim
19-08-2013, 13:59
Just get a Taxi AJ,they love "Güiris " unlike the bus drivers ! :tiphat:

warbey
19-08-2013, 19:09
Never Mind, J.J. If there was a ban for Off Topic, on this Thread alone, the Forum would be very quiet Tonight.......?...?..:tongue::tongue::hello:

marbro8
19-08-2013, 19:18
My opinion,my experience , if you don´t like it then ban me , seems to be the way on here !on a lighter note JJ what does GUIRI?mean or stand for? and after tasting the tenerife bananas they wouldn't have raised enough money to build a stall to sell em:lol:

junglejim
19-08-2013, 19:25
on a lighter note JJ what does GUIRI?mean or stand for? and after tasting the tenerife bananas they wouldn't have raised enough money to build a stall to sell em:lol:
Here you go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiri

marbro8
19-08-2013, 19:35
Here you go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guirioh rite, well after reading that i can't say that i would be offended by it? it seems to describe someone from a northern european country? like we in the midlands are sometimes called wooley backs or yam yams lol, and people from liverpool are known as scousers? it doesn't actually say it is used as a derogatory term:dontknow:, unless they do mean to use it in that way?

junglejim
19-08-2013, 19:40
It´s used in the same context as the N, word, P word ,Ch word and is classed as Racist .
Not wanting to labour the point but Woolli´s daughter and her friends are offended by the comment , so that should indicate what is meant !

warbey
19-08-2013, 19:44
Going by the Tale of Tarragona and Reus, which aren't far apart,

Woolli's Daughter and Friends could call Canarians that, too..!

I have heard the Word, once I understood enough spoken Spanish, more than a few Times.

I knew it was not exactly Friendly, but thanks to Jim, I can grin and bear it now I understand.

I would loosely Interpret it as Outsider........

rosemary
19-08-2013, 19:48
I prefer 'langosta'.....

junglejim
19-08-2013, 19:54
Going by the Tale of Tarragona and Reus, which aren't far apart,

Woolli's Daughter and Friends could call Canarians that, too..!

I knew it was not exactly Friendly, but thanks to Jim, I can grin and bear it now I understand.

I would loosely Interpret it as Outsider........

I have heard the Word, once I understood enough spoken Spanish, more than a few Times.
Sadly in Scotland if I´m going to a Football Match and called someone a Guiri I could be arrested ,but not going to a Rugby Match or Concert!
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/law/sectarianism-action-1/football-violence/bill

marbro8
19-08-2013, 20:00
I prefer 'langosta'.....i prefer handsome barsteward:eyebrows:

warbey
19-08-2013, 20:04
i prefer handsome barsteward:eyebrows:

Corgi Accredited of course,?

I saw quite a lot of the England v Scottish Match.
I knew it would be no quarter given, or asked for.

I also knew at the End, arms would be put around Shoulders of opposing Players in Friendship, or sympathy.

That is what Football means to Me, and I wonder, after watching the Latest Clash, how
Anyone in their right Mind could countenance Our two Nations splitting from each other.

Too many Rules and Regulations are IMHO are to try and make People (who should know better) to behave.

TOTO 99
19-08-2013, 20:20
i prefer handsome barsteward:eyebrows:

Dream on.....:laugh:

rosemary
19-08-2013, 20:50
Mods...time to close the thread now yes? :wave:

rosemary
20-08-2013, 18:28
Ah no...cos we are all waiting for the September update. I forgot.

TOTO 99
20-08-2013, 19:47

Apology accepted.....

marbro8
20-08-2013, 20:19
Apology accepted.....i think rosemary is just a bit peeeeed off that we are banging on about nothing now and going off topic:sorry:

TOTO 99
20-08-2013, 20:25
i think rosemary is just a bit peeeeed off that we are banging on about nothing now and going off topic:sorry:

If that was justification for closing a thread there wouldn't be any left open...

This one got rather personal at times..nothing wrong with trying to lighten it up a little..:tiphat:

warbey
20-08-2013, 20:26
i think rosemary is just a bit peeeeed off that we are banging on about nothing now and going off topic:sorry:

So, I think, is Woolli.

marbro8
20-08-2013, 20:27
So, I think, is Woolli.we should leave it now until we get an update then;)

rosemary
20-08-2013, 20:29
Yes....be good now children and wait til your father gets home...:nono:

warbey
20-08-2013, 20:35
Yes....be good now children and wait til your father gets home...:nono:

Or She has decided, if You can't beat Them, Join Them.....:confused::confused::laugh::laugh:

Bingo..........

Oberon
20-08-2013, 20:44
Mods...time to close the thread now yes? :wave:

Indeed, lots of us are interested to see how it all turns out.

And it was great to hear from the lady herself. I would like to comment on her post and wish her luck in getting what she wants.
I sympathise with Woolli’s daughter and her friends because the Spanish education system is not in a good state at the moment. It is chronically underfunded and short staffed and morale is very low. It must be hard trying to get an education amid the chaos and incompetence she has described to us.

Woolli’s daughter, I hope you find a better situation in Los Cristianos, unfortunately they will still be short staffed and underfunded, but hopefully a little more competent.
One big difference you will find down on the coast is that the society is much more cosmopolitan. And I agree with your decision – get away if you can, get away from that provincial backwater up in the hills, get down town, head for the coast.
As fonica says in post 125 in his granddaughter’s class there are two Canarians and 16 other nationalities, I’m guessing that’s Las Americas or Los Cristianos.
Imagine teaching that lot. A teacher friend of mine from LA school told me that the biggest headache is the Chinese kids, because when they first arrive, there really is no way to communicate with them at all.
So, let’s hope that with a more cosmopolitan atmosphere the bullying shouldn’t be such a problem (you’ll all be older too).

You get bullying in all schools – kids are cruel, and they will be ruthless with any difference. Ginger, fat, glasses, skin colour, slitty eyes, too short, too tall, acne, foreign, vegetarian etc.
Please don’t confuse the bullying taunts of some envious uneducated provincials with racial discrimination.
You must rise above that. Don’t let it affect you, don’t be a victim; you can be better than that. Stand tall and by all means stand up for your rights but don’t play the victim, it won’t get you anywhere.
Be a proud guiri, and a proud Canarian at the same time. Sometimes you find that people are racist and nationalist because they simply don’t have the coco to be cosmopolitan.
Personally, I’m quite happy to be a guiri. I don’t find it insulting.

It´s used in the same context as the N, word, P word ,Ch word and is classed as Racist .
You just made that up, didn’t you?
“classed as” indeed.

It does of course depend how it is used.
And it is often used as a derogatory term. If it is spat out with vitriolic contempt then it can certainly be construed as an insult, particularly in a schoolroom bullying situation where the perpetrator has deduced that it hits its mark. I’m sure Woolli’s daughter was genuinely being insulted.
But generally speaking, if a Spaniard wants to insult you, I can assure you he will call you something else, maybe with guiri tagged on the end as a sort of categorizing suffix, with a suitable intensifier.

Very often, the word is used in a fairly innocent way as a non contemptuous category. Very much like the people of Devon use the word Grockle. (fonica – post 125)
Are Liverpudlians insulted by the word Scouser? I think not, but again it depends how you say it.

A Spaniard would rarely refer to tourist bar as a “bar para turistas”, it would quite naturally be “un bar de guiris”, thus expressing quite accurately his chances of fitting in - and/or the prices.
A friend of mine once told me about selling his car to a nice couple, he said “charming couple, he was Italian and she was a guiri”. I suggested that the Italian was a guiri too. “I suppose so” he replied.
I quite often refer to myself as a guiri. Usually if I want to draw attention to the difference without specifying “inglés”; sort of like “I didn’t eat gofio when I was a kid because I’m a guiri”.

No big deal.
You can normally tell when someone is insulting you, and it might well include that word. But the inclusion of the word doesn’t necessarily mean you are being insulted.

Anyway, very generally speaking, the Canarians are pussy cats, you find the odd bigot just like everywhere . . . but I have always found more hospitality here.
And we get a very fair deal with the administration (as we hope the Woolli family will find in September).

So here’s to celebrating the cosmopolitan kids, the multi lingual kids. You go and grab your education Woolli’s daughter. The kids who called you guidi have a lot to learn.
Good luck Woolli’s daughter.

9PLUS
20-08-2013, 21:06
Most Canarians would rather have the Brits here than the Spanish.

marbro8
20-08-2013, 22:15
Most Canarians would rather have the Brits here than the Spanish.after talking to a few i have come to that conclusion ;)

9PLUS
20-08-2013, 23:12
after talking to a few i have come to that conclusion ;)

Most think that way because they see the mainlander as the invaders but they see the Brits as part of every day life.

Quite funny when you think about it...

Angusjim
21-08-2013, 08:42
Most think that way because they see the mainlander as the invaders but they see the Brits as part of every day life.

Quite funny when you think about it...
Yes they know what side there bread is buttered on;)

candy2411
21-08-2013, 09:32
Most Canarians would rather have the Brits here than the Spanish.

A sensible and serious quote from 9plus :) you feelin ok ?? ;)

fonica
21-08-2013, 19:09
My very last words on this topic because it makes me sad.After so many years on the island and with Spanish/Canarian family members and grandchildren who think of themselves as Spanish/Canarian I hate the thought that local people are considered racist when it all comes from a lack of understanding of both language and culture.One of the worst things you can say to a Spanish person is "estupido".A word that is used all of the time in Britain often without meaning to cause major offence.So imagine the Canarian child in a British school and another kid calls him "stupid".Is he going to think that it's a racist remark? Learn the language,mix with the locals and keep your sense of humour and it will all turn out well in the end.

warbey
21-08-2013, 19:25

Wise Words, and true.. although Woolli's Daughter is mixing (I hope), at School

There are always culture Differences, but I find these can be overlooked, provided You are being Nice and Polite.

Whatever the Nationality..

In General I find Canarians to be Nice People with a good sense of Humour.
I am friendly with some Spanish too.
Let's hope Woolli's Daughter gets sorted, so She can concentrate on Learning..........

TOTO 99
21-08-2013, 19:41
In no way meaning to sound condecending with this,

I think what we witnessed with Woolli's daughter's powerful post was not actually about now, but a build up of what she's suffered, and possibly kept to herself, during the years prior to this current situation.

I'm glad she managed to get it off her chest and I can tell by the post that she's pretty confident about dealing with it in the future, but it concerns me that she's obviously suffered for quite some time and more importantly, she is not alone. There must be so many other young people who feel unable to speak out.

As a father of 3, that disturbs me..

warbey
22-08-2013, 19:59
'

I came to the same conclusion, answering with that in mind.

If it were England, There would be a written Document, covering the code of practice

and actions to be taken where Racial Discrimination should rear It's Head.

This example could be about two Groups reactions to each other, which muddies the Water a bit, if it applies.

I suffered bullying at Primary School for two Years, at Secondary School it didn't happen, so again, it may go away when entering higher Education.

fonica
25-08-2013, 23:35
Re: Care for the english speaking elderly

This recent post by Woolli seems to suggest that now I am anti-English.No wonder the forum is down to so few posts with this kind of silliness going on.
Originally Posted by woolli

S, I think you have to watch this one. Very anti-English with regards to my daughter, not knowing the full story, and looks like she is now trying to have a go at your business, which, by all accounts, is the best in Tenerife for British residents.
Fonica, would you like a meeting to clear the air?

It's amusing that when posting on this forum (yes it's a forum) where people are supposed to voice an opinion, that there is often this kind of comment from Mr.Woolli. Why would I be trying to have a go at these peoples’ business? I posted that they had moved premises several times and in my opinion if you are going to place a vulnerable 80+ year old relative in a home then you would want to check all available information. I made it clear that I wasn't commenting on the standard of care of which I know nothing. I hope my family will check out the legalities of the home that they eventually find for me although I think they will just be pleased to find somewhere that accepts me!!
With regards to your comment that I made an anti-English reply to your post regarding your daughter I would only say that I've spent many years here and I really dislike people who try to blame racism for them not getting what they want. This would apply to people who do the same in the UK. I fully explained my reasons for my reply and explained that I know many local kids who haven't yet got the placing that they wanted, I also explained why due to the rapid turnaround in British kids starting and leaving schools on the island, this may make the authorities think about placing these children at the end of the school year rather than waiting to see if they are still here in September. I didn't know that I would have to arrange meetings to explain my opinions on the forum. If you don't like them please feel free to ignore them.

KirstyJay
26-08-2013, 10:19
Kirsty , I deliberately didn´t use "British" because what I heard was targetted at several nationalities by Canarian Policemen on a night out on the Bevvy !...

... if you don´t like it then ban me , seems to be the way on here !

I've deliberately only quoted two parts of your post because that's all I'm going to answer.

As I said originally in my reply to you, I wasn't having a go in the first place. I was just saying that this is how your post read. It wasn't an unfriendly comment, it was an observation that maybe would illustrate to you that sometimes the way you write your posts and the meaning you intend is different to how other people read them and the intent they see. If you deliberately left out the word 'British' then maybe pointing out the fact that you were including many nationalities in your observations would have made it clearer.

As I said, I was only making an observation with no malice intended, as you seemed to be upset with fonica's response, however judging from your attack on me it the second sentence I quoted, then it seems you didn't take it that way.

So, please enlighten me. When has the forum ever banned people for having an opinion? You seem to think that 'that's the way it is on here', so I'd like you to prove that please, because in my entire time as member and mod on this forum, people have never been banned for having a contrary opinion to either myself or anyone else. If fact, I can't even remember the last person that was banned it was so long ago. I'd like to hear the proof behind such a sweeping statement if you intend to have a go at me too, just because I have made a comment you took offence to where it wasn't intended in the first place. :)

No wonder the forum is down to so few posts with this kind of silliness going on.Again, another person blaming the forum for comments made by an individual. Have you reported the post or replied to in in the original thread in context to defend yourself?

At the bottom of the forum it clearly states on EVERY page :

POSTS ON TENERIFE FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Please click the "Report Post" button under any post which may breach our terms of use.

Now, I've had enough, so I'm going to bow out of this discussion, as I was only trying to help in the first place... so feel free to have the last word.... and yes, I do take it personally when people blame the forum in its entirety in the open thread for other members personal opinions or their inability to report offending posts, or accuse us point blank without proof of banning anyone and everyone when we feel like it, because myself and the mods put a lot of time and effort in to the forum and personally I don't think we do a bad job.:mad:

junglejim
26-08-2013, 11:10
"Addressing your point that the island would just be a big banana plantation if tourism hadn't come is a bit derogatory though. I think the locals who have been to university, trained, worked hard etc might be a tad insulted by such a sweeping statement..."
Thanks for your belated response Kirsty ,like you ,I will only respond to a a selected comment , which by the rules of the Forum could result in a ban !
I have been banned before for an opinion - I have ,before, reported what I considered to be inappropriate language only to be ignored over several days yet screens of comments eventually remove , ask "Mike in Chayofa " Re. Mr Bamford !
My comments on what the Island could be without tourists were made in all sincerity , having seen many other "Colonies" slip into decline -the Diaspora here in the Canaries and on the Peninsula doesn´t bode well for the Canaries in particular or Spain but that will be their problem in the end .
The original point of the thread was crystallised succinctly in Woolii´s daughter´s own post and her experiences , which is a sad reflection on the attitude towards people who come here to either enjoy or contribute to these Islands .
As you say , we both bow out now and hopefully the main issue of the OP will be resolved - and yes, you all do a good job on here ,I´ll just stick to wind -ups and banter on the football side , that gets me into enough bother !

fonica
26-08-2013, 11:43
Sorry Kirsty,Yes you do a great job and I shouldn't have added that comment,I was just mad at the nastiness and as I am more than capable of defending myself I shouldn't be blaming the Forum.I'm off for a break as whenever I reply to posts I seem to get into trouble.

fonica
08-09-2013, 11:26
HI Woolli and daughter,Did you have a happy outcome you choice of schools? Hope it all worked out for you.

polremy
08-09-2013, 16:15
Yes, I was wondering too.
And there are probably lots of forum members waiting to hear if things worked out well in the end.

fonica
09-09-2013, 10:27
I suppose no news is good news!!

woolli
09-09-2013, 12:44
HI Woolli and daughter,Did you have a happy outcome you choice of schools? Hope it all worked out for you.

Yes, happy, my daughter ended up with a place in El Medano, matriculated today, first day at school on Wednesday. Thanks to all concerned.

potdog
10-09-2013, 15:54
Not been around on here for a good long while so only just seen this epic thread.
My eldest daughter is one of the girls who was in this position. One piece of info which was not mentioned is that they were all advised (rightly or wrongly) by their tutor not to apply for the Bachillerato in San Miguel as it was not a proven course, this being the first year that the school had run a Bachillerato. So even he had little faith in the ability of that school to run it to a good standard.

Anyway, all have got into schools following the September re-sits. I don't think any got their first choice school, in fact some took the option to not wait and see and found Bachillerato courses at Luther King. Not what anyone wanted really, but was a bullet that had to be bitten to make sure the kids had a confirmed place to continue their education.

On a slight aside following the off topic parts of this thread. I've had locals ask me why I'm taking jobs away from Canarians by starting my mountain biking business here! To which I have to reply that if someone had already started it then I wouldn't have bothered and that there is nothing stopping one of them starting up in competition. They still don't seem to get it though. Never mind that the tourists that I bring are probably putting money into the business that employs them or a family member somewhere along the way.

Potdog

marbro8
10-09-2013, 18:52
Not been around on here for a good long while so only just seen this epic thread.
My eldest daughter is one of the girls who was in this position. One piece of info which was not mentioned is that they were all advised (rightly or wrongly) by their tutor not to apply for the Bachillerato in San Miguel as it was not a proven course, this being the first year that the school had run a Bachillerato. So even he had little faith in the ability of that school to run it to a good standard.

Anyway, all have got into schools following the September re-sits. I don't think any got their first choice school, in fact some took the option to not wait and see and found Bachillerato courses at Luther King. Not what anyone wanted really, but was a bullet that had to be bitten to make sure the kids had a confirmed place to continue their education.

On a slight aside following the off topic parts of this thread. I've had locals ask me why I'm taking jobs away from Canarians by starting my mountain biking business here! To which I have to reply that if someone had already started it then I wouldn't have bothered and that there is nothing stopping one of them starting up in competition. They still don't seem to get it though. Never mind that the tourists that I bring are probably putting money into the business that employs them or a family member somewhere along the way.

Potdogwould you class that as them being racist for asking that question potdog?

potdog
10-09-2013, 19:16
Racist, possibly not, "anti guiri" probably, deluded, definitely!

warbey
10-09-2013, 20:01
Racist, possibly not, "anti guiri" probably, deluded, definitely!

I did wonder how the Others got on, so thanks for the Information.

I do think that following this Episode, and mostly understanding how it works,

A Decent Private School would be worth Investigating, if it could call on State Funding.......Maybe.?

9PLUS
11-09-2013, 06:09

Potdog

So simple, as others had mentioned, your children were included into the point system of other school.

bandwidth wastage, no wonder Zarion bugger off

x

Oberon
11-09-2013, 09:19
. . . . . . . . I've had locals ask me why I'm taking jobs away from Canarians by starting my mountain biking business here! To which I have to reply that if someone had already started it then I wouldn't have bothered and that there is nothing stopping one of them starting up in competition. They still don't seem to get it though. Never mind that the tourists that I bring are probably putting money into the business that employs them or a family member somewhere along the way.

Potdog
I'm sure it did occur to you that you had this conversation with a complete asrehole.

Angusjim
11-09-2013, 11:43
So simple, as others had mentioned, your children were included into the point system of other school.

x

Are you Zarion you do mention him a lot:spin::laugh:

9PLUS
11-09-2013, 19:41

You've only just clicked in ?

warbey
11-09-2013, 20:42

Sure Zarion was Male...?

Maybe.

x.

marbro8
11-09-2013, 20:47
we all have our opinions about ZARION but he/she left us( with the great work and effort of others) a great legacy;)

potdog
11-09-2013, 22:08

x

I'm sorry 9Plus if me posting an update for those who might be interested in the outcome for some of the other kids has somehow contravened your own personal internet bandwidth usage policy.

I'm sure it did occur to you that you had this conversation with a complete asrehole.

I've had the conversation on a few occasions. But yes, most likely they were, but possibly also a fair representation of how a lot of disillusioned 20+ year olds feel too.

9PLUS
12-09-2013, 09:39
No worries i was just messing

TOTO 99
12-09-2013, 09:53
No worries i was just messing

It's spelt..S..O..R..R..Y......just in case you might need it in the future..:laugh:

fonica
12-09-2013, 13:26
I'm sorry 9Plus if me posting an update for those who might be interested in the outcome for some of the other kids has somehow contravened your own personal internet bandwidth usage policy.

I've had the conversation on a few occasions. But yes, most likely they were, but possibly also a fair representation of how a lot of disillusioned 20+ year olds feel too.

Well please don't hold their opinions as being representative of the whole Canarian population. Some of these youngsters feel that their heritage has been bought out by foreigners and it upsets them. One day they will realize that someone had to offer it for sale in the first place!!!!! The young people on the island had only known good times until recently, they have had a standard of living that their parents and grandparents couldn't have dreamt of and now it’s gone into reverse ,it hurts. However that doesn’t make for racism and our job as immigrants is to be grateful for what we have found here and the reception that most local people have given us and put back as much as we can into the community.

Marianne
12-09-2013, 18:19
Wow- I really feel for you and hope you can get it sorted out. Keep up up-dated.

warbey
12-09-2013, 19:59
Wow- I really feel for you and hope you can get it sorted out. Keep up up-dated.

Did You get to read Post 170 ?

Marianne
12-09-2013, 20:04
Ooops, had scanned the thread and missed it. Great news then :)

Oberon
12-09-2013, 22:29

Yes, I did notice you were using the plural - as in "they still don't get it". But I thought it might be a speech mannerism because I've been working here for 25 years and I speak to a lot of people, and I've never had a conversation like that.

I wonder why the difference.

9PLUS
13-09-2013, 00:07
It's spelt..S..O..R..R..Y......just in case you might need it in the future..:laugh:

You be S..O..R..R..Y for me if you like...........dear

cheers

TOTO 99
13-09-2013, 08:42
You be S..O..R..R..Y for me if you like...........dear

cheers

Oh, I am........................we all are.....:laugh:

marbro8
13-09-2013, 17:25
Well please don't hold their opinions as being representative of the whole Canarian population. Some of these youngsters feel that their heritage has been bought out by foreigners and it upsets them. One day they will realize that someone had to offer it for sale in the first place!!!!! The young people on the island had only known good times until recently, they have had a standard of living that their parents and grandparents couldn't have dreamt of and now it’s gone into reverse ,it hurts. However that doesn’t make for racism and our job as immigrants is to be grateful for what we have found here and the reception that most local people have given us and put back as much as we can into the community.sounds like another little island i know of just north of france;)