PDA

View Full Version : Celta advice needed

languagefan
28-06-2013, 10:57
Hello,
I am thinking of doing a Celta training course, my objective to be able to travel as an English teacher.
I note that it is a quite expensive course and thought to ask advice, which of the many courses out there get one jobs more easily.
( Tefl, tesol, etc)
And is Celta alone good enough to secure a job?
Many thanks

junglejim
28-06-2013, 12:32
Think you need to speak to KirstyJay on here ,I'm sure she did someting similiar a couple of years ago, but she doesn't take PM's I think .
She should pick your post up , I hope !

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?19527-Where-can-I-do-a-TEFL-or-CELTA-course-in-Tenerife

languagefan
28-06-2013, 13:02
Thanks.
Kirstyjay, r u there?!!!!'

KirstyJay
30-06-2013, 22:37
Sorry its a late reply, but I would highly recommend a CELTA. Best thing I ever did... but I wouldn't do it just for Tenerife. Tenerife has loads of highly qualified English teachers who were all made redundant by the government about 2 years ago still looking for jobs, however a CELTA will guarantee you in poll position in Asia and is recognised worldwide.

I have a language school, and if I were in a position to employ extra teachers, I'd look for a CELTA. Also the YL extra element is good too. :)

languagefan
01-07-2013, 12:49
Thanks Kirstyjay.
I am mainly looking for jobs abroad is Asia and Latin america and using teaching to fiance travelling and staying in a country for a number of months.
Will Celta be sufficient to secure teaching jobs abroad with British council and language schools, as I also have a quite impressing CV, lots of teaching and training experience (not language), and long established career as a published author?
Many thanks again for advice.

languagefan
02-07-2013, 13:08
KirstyJay, could u pls advise on this thread? Thanks

yvonnedagan
23-11-2013, 14:27
Doing a CELTA course will definitely stand you in good stead for finding employment worldwide and on the islands. I've noticed a big change in the job market here and in Tenerife with a lot of schools looking for CELTA candidates now as opposed to a few years ago where it wasn't really in demand.

At the Irish Academy in Las Palmas we only employ CELTA qualified teachers as we are a registered Cambridge CELTA training centre. If you are interested in doing the course, why not call us on 928365193 or 637207913 and ask for Fran, Dacil or Yvonne and we can have a chat.

We have a CELTA course running now so feel free to have a look at our website and the photos to get a feel for the trainees, trainers and centre. Our next course starts on March 17th 2014 and we will have other courses running throughout the summer 2014 with home stay accommodation available if required.

All successful trainees are given support finding employment on the islands or abroad post-accreditation and we provide references to prospective employers.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yvonne Dagan
CELTA trainer - The Irish Academy