PDA

View Full Version : Relocation The decision is made... we are moving to Tenerife

Finca Farmer
30-06-2013, 15:20
Hi all,

Nice and sunny here in the south east of the UK for a change! However, we've made our decision and hubby and I will be moving out to Tenerife in the autumn to rent a property. We're keeping the house in the UK but it'll be rented out to provide our income. We're looking at renting in Puerto de la Cruz because we both love it and it has a lot more to offer us as people than the southern resorts. We're bringing our much-loved cat with us and I've already had a number of quotes from various companies to fly him out so there are no surprises there (nor with the return costs just in case).

Realistically, how many months' money (living expenses) should we set aside as a safety net? I've done a lot of costings to include contingency and emergency flights back to the UK, as well as fluctuating exchange rates. Hubby can't work due to his health and I'll be leaving a full-time job at the end of the month prior to our departure. I know work is scarce and I don't speak a lot of Spanish yet so the thought of being out of work doesn't worry me. We're looking on this more as early retirement, but if the right thing came up I'd be willing to give it a go. Hubby is in his 50s and I'm in my 40s. We are leaving behind grown-up children in their 20s who have no desire or plans to have any children any time soon.

The main reason for coming is the improvement to hubby's health that regularly occurs when we're there! He needs fewer painkillers and has more mobility, even though we know PDLC has cooler and more overcast weather than the south of the island.

What do other permanent (early or on-time) retirees do with their days, to avoid treating it like a holiday all the time? How long does it take to acclimatise to the fact you're not going back to the UK? I expect that's an individual thing but I'd like to know how long it's taken others. Initially we're going to try it for 6-12 months to make sure we're doing the right thing.

Tom & Sharon
30-06-2013, 17:56
As long as you're sure you've enough income to live on, and are including the cost of health care, then your contingency fund shouldn't really need to be much more than your flights home.

If you don't have enough income to live on, again including health care, then don't bother.

It might sound harsh, but that's reality.

Muppet
30-06-2013, 18:14
Sounds to me like Health Care could well be your major issue as getting a policy to include existing conditions may be your major stumbling block and potentially pretty expensive - I guess it depends on what the old boy suffers from exactly, and that's possibly too much information.

The North is a lot cooler than the south in the winter, and a lot more temperate climate wise. It can rain a fair bit.

gandt2000
30-06-2013, 22:21
Hi
We made the move over here for early retirement two and a half years ago, and have never looked back.
Other half is 50´s and I am late 40´s.
The warmer weather has substancially helped many of our existing medical conditions.
You are doing the right thing renting first, just in case you get here and decide you donot like it.
Not sure what we do with ourselves all day, but we have never been board yet.
Get to know the locals and then many an hour can be spent over a cup of coffee.
Healthcare here can be complete nightmare. and yes most policies will not cover much that you already have,
Once you have made a permemant move to Tenerife and severed all tax relations with the UK, you are entitled to Access to Tenerife social health care, regardless of you age. Would happily assist you with this when the time comes if that helps.
If you are a Facebook user, there are many pages on there that could help you as well. PM me with your full name and I can send details to you.
Important thing to remember is do not be afraid to ask questions. The first answer will not necessarily be right for you.
Good luck.

timmylish
30-06-2013, 23:17
FF. You are extremely fortunate in having this offer of assistance from gandt2000 who appears to have come here in almost identical circumstances. Make full use of this offer and don,t worry too much about the weather in the Peurto area. If you compare that to where you come from in the UK it will be more realistic. Comparing to the bottom bit of Tenerife is pointless (not that daft programme!).
Anyway, I wish you really well and keep us posted, please.

gandt2000
30-06-2013, 23:27
We are always happy to help people wanting to move to Tenerife. When we came over we did not know of all the help that was available and made several mistakes as a result. But we did get there in the end though.
If your journey to Tenerife is by road / sea, pm me as that is the route we took and may be able to give you some hints and tips on this. We have shared with others in the past, so have a ready made document with details. Just need your email address on a private message.

Finca Farmer
01-07-2013, 06:50
As long as you're sure you've enough income to live on, and are including the cost of health care, then your contingency fund shouldn't really need to be much more than your flights home.

If you don't have enough income to live on, again including health care, then don't bother.

Hi Tom and Sharon, we should be alright if our income remains what it is now (not including mine) or increases. This is possible with our circumstances. If it drops, we have to go back temporarily to sort things out before we can come back. It sounds complicated but it's really just property rental.

Sounds to me like Health Care could well be your major issue as getting a policy to include existing conditions may be your major stumbling block and potentially pretty expensive - I guess it depends on what the old boy suffers from exactly, and that's possibly too much information.

The North is a lot cooler than the south in the winter, and a lot more temperate climate wise. It can rain a fair bit.

Hi Muppet, arthritis and psoriasis are what he has. Not too bad in general but he needs a change in environment for physical AND mental health reasons. The North is a lot warmer than the UK in winter and he really had a bad time of it in the long winter of 2012/13 so we're avoiding a repeat.

Hi
Important thing to remember is do not be afraid to ask questions. The first answer will not necessarily be right for you.
Good luck.

Thanks gandt2000, I have PMed you.

FF. You are extremely fortunate in having this offer of assistance from gandt2000 who appears to have come here in almost identical circumstances. Make full use of this offer and don,t worry too much about the weather in the Peurto area. If you compare that to where you come from in the UK it will be more realistic. Comparing to the bottom bit of Tenerife is pointless (not that daft programme!).
Anyway, I wish you really well and keep us posted, please.

Hi timmylish, I am a bit of a weather geek and have checked out the data available on winters in the North - needless to say they compare favourably against the UK in terms of temperature. Rainfall doesn't scare me as we were considering moving to Cornwall at one point. I will let you know how we get on as things progress!

We are always happy to help people wanting to move to Tenerife. When we came over we did not know of all the help that was available and made several mistakes as a result. But we did get there in the end though.
If your journey to Tenerife is by road / sea, pm me as that is the route we took and may be able to give you some hints and tips on this. We have shared with others in the past, so have a ready made document with details. Just need your email address on a private message.

I'm really grateful for the help and all the replies so far, you're a lovely bunch of people!

Belinda
01-07-2013, 13:12
Hi
Once you have made a permanent move to Tenerife and severed all tax relations with the UK, you are entitled to Access to Tenerife social health care, regardless of you age.

Lots of good advice but I think I got a bit confused at the part re health care, maybe I'm reading it incorrectly but I wouldn't want anyone to think that just because they come to live in the Canaries full time, severing tax relations with the UK or not, that they are going to get free health cover here (except if they are of pensionable age).
The only free health cover is if you are paying into the system in the form of social security at almost 300€ per month or private health insurance.
For many people, now that the pensionable age for women has been moved from 60 to 66 years old (which is obviously only fair to bring it in line with men, but implemented over a cruelly short 5 years), that makes a big difference too!

Muppet
01-07-2013, 13:23
Must admit that this is how i understand it all to be, unless Grandt2000 knows something we all don't ??

primrose
01-07-2013, 14:10
Hi
We made the move over here for early retirement two and a half years ago, and have never looked back.
Other half is 50´s and I am late 40´s.
The warmer weather has substancially helped many of our existing medical conditions.
You are doing the right thing renting first, just in case you get here and decide you donot like it.
Not sure what we do with ourselves all day, but we have never been board yet.
Get to know the locals and then many an hour can be spent over a cup of coffee.
Healthcare here can be complete nightmare. and yes most policies will not cover much that you already have,
Once you have made a permemant move to Tenerife and severed all tax relations with the UK, you are entitled to Access to Tenerife social health care, regardless of you age. Would happily assist you with this when the time comes if that helps.
If you are a Facebook user, there are many pages on there that could help you as well. PM me with your full name and I can send details to you.
Good luck.

Sorry but don't understand your comment about Health Care. Perhaps you could explain it a bit more as most members on here have always been told unless you are of Pensionable age and have the S1 from the UK or work and pay into the Social System you are not entitled to Health Care.

Muppet
01-07-2013, 14:50
Plus a year ago Grandt2000 was asking where to buy healthcare ??????????????????

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?20504-Is-there-any-information-about-buying-into-Tenerife-state-health-cover&p=225695#post225695

Belinda
01-07-2013, 15:18
From what I've read recently, the Spanish Health system is trying not to pay for some expats who are entitled to health cover but rather forcing the payments to come from insurance.

Finca Farmer
01-09-2013, 10:54
Just a little update of how things are going. We have flights booked and are much more prepared than when I last posted. We will have a contingency fund in case it all goes pear-shaped, and we will rent for six months to see how it goes. We're not burning any bridges with the UK except my job, and I've been told that if there is a position available when/if we return to the UK that I could go back. I think DH will miss the grown-up kids a lot more than me, but time will tell. In the meantime it's five weeks until we fly out.

primrose
01-09-2013, 11:22
Just a little update of how things are going. We have flights booked and are much more prepared than when I last posted. We will have a contingency fund in case it all goes pear-shaped, and we will rent for six months to see how it goes. We're not burning any bridges with the UK except my job, and I've been told that if there is a position available when/if we return to the UK that I could go back. I think DH will miss the grown-up kids a lot more than me, but time will tell. In the meantime it's five weeks until we fly out.

Have you sorted anything out about Health Care because Gandt200 hasn't been back on to explain what he meant about getting Social Health Care here if you don't work.

TOPGUN77
01-09-2013, 11:41
Hi my wife and I moved here nearly 3 months ago we severed all ties with the UK.Sold everything and came over with just 4 suitcases and 2 holdalls.
We both decided to retire early I will be 60 tomorrow and my wife is 56 although we both look 15 years younger than our real ages lol
Living here is so much cheaper than the uk we both have pensions and savings etc,we purchased a 3 bed town house at a steal was over 200,000 euro we got it for 120,000,ther are bargains to be had with so many bank reposed properties for sale.
We took out private health care with Mapfre which includes basic dental and chiropody at a price of only 39.95 euro each.Good luck with your move you will not regret it.

Finca Farmer
01-09-2013, 11:54
We took out private health care with Mapfre which includes basic dental and chiropody at a price of only 39.95 euro each.Good luck with your move you will not regret it.

Topgun is that per month? One quote I got for private health care was 200EUR a month.

TOPGUN77
01-09-2013, 12:25
Topgun is that per month? One quote I got for private health care was 200EUR a month.

Hi yes per month you will need to go to one of the Ikea stores to get this deal.

amanda
01-09-2013, 21:18
why go to ikea stores when there are mapfre offices everywhere, is it something to do with there store card

TOPGUN77
02-09-2013, 01:16
why go to ikea stores when there are mapfre offices everywhere, is it something to do with there store card

We went to a mapfree office and they wanted £185 a month for both of us,must be somw sort of promotion they are doing at the Ikea stores.

casabonny
02-09-2013, 16:50
I suspect that the cover provided by the application at IKEA would be the VERY VERY BASIC cover and the cover quoted at the Mapfre office would be much more comprehensive.If you have pre existing conditions ( which it appears the OP does) and do not currently have private medical then those conditions WILL NOT BE COVERED by the new insurance here. Some companies will take on clients pre existing conditions if you have private medical in your home country and change immediately to one here.eg pay ( and prove payment) of private medical to say 31/08/2013 in home country and start new one here 01/09/2013.
TOPGUN77 it would be interesting to know exactly what you have cover for, not for me ,but for others who are considering a move.If you feel you can perhaps you can post what is covered by your policy or perhaps post a link to the terms and conditions relative to your particular policy cover.

doreen
02-09-2013, 19:35
I suspect that the cover provided by the application at IKEA would be the VERY VERY BASIC cover and the cover quoted at the Mapfre office would be much more comprehensive.If you have pre existing conditions ( which it appears the OP does) and do not currently have private medical then those conditions WILL NOT BE COVERED by the new insurance here. Some companies will take on clients pre existing conditions if you have private medical in your home country and change immediately to one here.eg pay ( and prove payment) of private medical to say 31/08/2013 in home country and start new one here 01/09/2013.
TOPGUN77 it would be interesting to know exactly what you have cover for, not for me ,but for others who are considering a move.If you feel you can perhaps you can post what is covered by your policy or perhaps post a link to the terms and conditions relative to your particular policy cover.

That's very interesting, casabonny ... I have (almost) world wide private health cover through an Irish company, but gather it can only be used for a certain number of years (they presume you will move home!), so have been looking for something else ... do you know what companies here might take on pre-existing conditions ? Ok, so I have been here for a few years, but perhaps they might consider ...

TOPGUNN, you know the old saying ... if it sounds too good to be true .... :)

fonica
03-09-2013, 09:11
That's very interesting, casabonny ... I have (almost) world wide private health cover through an Irish company, but gather it can only be used for a certain number of years (they presume you will move home!), so have been looking for something else ... do you know what companies here might take on pre-existing conditions ? Ok, so I have been here for a few years, but perhaps they might consider ...

TOPGUNN, you know the old saying ... if it sounds too good to be true .... :)
Alianz has just done a policy for a friend of mine who has had cancer.The cost was around 3,200 Euros for the year.She had recently had cause to use the policy and has been hospitalized on several occasions plus several appointments with various consultants.No problems at all and not been asked to pay anything.We arranged this policy with an agent in La Orotava.Really efficient but you could deal directly with Alianz.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just a quick point.If you have invalidity benefit in the UK and are considered unfit to work I THINK? you can get free medical care here.I'm sure some of our experts will be better informed than me.

TOPGUN77
03-09-2013, 13:02

The cover is exactly the same they gave us a booklet at the mapfe office and is identical to the one that was sent to us direct from mapfre,to have a major operation the policy has to be at least 6 months minimum plus we get basic dental and chiropody work done.

doreen
03-09-2013, 13:05
The cover is exactly the same they gave us a booklet at the mapfe office and is identical to the one that was sent to us direct from mapfre,to have a major operation the policy has to be at least 6 months minimum plus we get basic dental and chiropody work done.

... and here it is - https://www.ikeafamily.net/seguros/Seguro_medico

What did they say you need to be a member of IKEA Family ?

casabonny
03-09-2013, 14:36

What did they say you need to be a member of IKEA Family ?7
Doreen , tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.Let me know when its possible and I will give details as I know.

melm
03-09-2013, 18:45

What did they say you need to be a member of IKEA Family ?

recently made a purchase in our local Ikea store and to get the discounted item I had to be a member of the "family". The girl at the checkout completed the necessary form ..name and address........and that was that. Never heard another thing from them. Easy.

I should have said the girl gave me a membership number and this entitles me to anything with "family" discounts.