PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on organ donation?

melm
02-07-2013, 19:29
The Welsh assembly are discussing an "opt out" if you dont want to be a donor.

Personally I carry a donor card and anything that is useful to another can be taken.

I am now past my sell by dateeek2: so dont think I will have anything that is going to be of much use..but you never know.

any thoughts?

marbro8
02-07-2013, 19:40

Personally I carry a donor card and anything that is useful to another can be taken.

I am now past my sell by dateeek2: so dont think I will have anything that is going to be of much use..but you never know.

any thoughts?well i know for a fact that my liver and kidney's wouldn't be much use to anyone:lol:, but i have either read or seen something that really put me off donating organ's, i think it was the fact that if you were an organ donor and there was only a slight chance that they could save your life after say a bad accident, they wouldn't revive you because your organ's could be better used to save many more needy patients :dontknow:

melm
02-07-2013, 19:50
well i know for a fact that my liver and kidney's wouldn't be much use to anyone:lol:, but i have either read or seen something that really put me off donating organ's, i think it was the fact that if you were an organ donor and there was only a slight chance that they could save your life after say a bad accident, they wouldn't revive you because your organ's could be better used to save many more needy patients :dontknow:

We have much in common re liver etcrolleyes2:

Suppose it all depends on your age at the time of accident.... personally if there was only a SLIGHT chance that I could be saved .....dont think I would want it.

At the same time life is precious:dontknow:

Megaloo
02-07-2013, 19:51
I can only comment on a personnel note. I lost my Daughter in a road accident many years ago now but I only wish that organ donation was talked about more then than it is now, I would love to have thought that something of her would have saved someone else, and I am sure she would have wanted that also.

warbey
02-07-2013, 19:53
Don't Human rights apply after you are Dead..?

I don't want any further messing with My bits, some aren't as good as They should be

after Surgery.

melm
02-07-2013, 19:56
I can only comment on a personnel note. I lost my Daughter in a road accident many years ago now but I only wish that organ donation was talked about more then than it is now, I would love to have thought that something of her would have saved someone else, and I am sure she would have wanted that also.

thank you for sharing that with us . So sad for you Megaloo

My 5 year old neice also died in a road accident many years ago and her parents feel the same.

Tickey
02-07-2013, 19:57
They can have what they want because I won't be needing any of it :fpull:

marbro8
02-07-2013, 19:58
We have much in common re liver etcrolleyes2:

Suppose it all depends on your age at the time of accident.... personally if there was only a SLIGHT chance that I could be saved .....dont think I would want it.

At the same time life is precious:dontknow:exactly, any chance is a good chance;), mind you the way our national health service is run now i don't think anyone is safe:(, and before anyone comes on and tries to defend it, i live about 5 miles from stafford hospital and i have been treated there:(, i think it is now run like a business rather than the old caring profession we had in the 60's-70's:(, and the last time i was on a ward i didn't meet or speak to a british nurse, doctor or cleaner in the 2 days i was there:dontknow:

primrose
02-07-2013, 20:12
I have very mixed feelings about Organ Donation.Having a Husband that had a Cardiac Arrest and was on a Life Support Machine and being told he would never come round, and the Doctor asking us to go in to discuss turning the machine off and seeing him now 11 years later sat on the balcony with a pint in his hand I often wonder what if?yes he has Brain Damage but he is still able to enjoy some quality of life.On the other hand if somebody belonging to me needed an Organ I would grab the first one to be offered but to get an Organ somebody has to die.I don't think you can be sure what you would do until you are put in that situation.I don't think I could ever give permission for a L.S.Machine to be switched off after our experience.

Malteser Monkey
03-07-2013, 09:34
I have an old organ I don't use anymore - I never got any further than chopsticks:D

Ahhh Megaloo - sorry to hear that - I think it's a good idea the opt out option as many of us wouldn't even think about it

I have very mixed feelings about Organ Donation.Having a Husband that had a Cardiac Arrest and was on a Life Support Machine and being told he would never come round, and the Doctor asking us to go in to discuss turning the machine off and seeing him now 11 years later sat on the balcony with a pint in his hand I often wonder what if?yes he has Brain Damage but he is still able to enjoy some quality of life.On the other hand if somebody belonging to me needed an Organ I would grab the first one to be offered but to get an Organ somebody has to die.I don't think you can be sure what you would do until you are put in that situation.I don't think I could ever give permission for a L.S.Machine to be switched off after our experience.

Wow that's an amazing story Primrose. I know of someone that had a severe case of Cancer - was given 6 months to live. She is still going 6 years on and in remission.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

thank you for sharing that with us . So sad for you Megaloo

My 5 year old neice also died in a road accident many years ago and her parents feel the same.

yes in these cases it's true

LUCKY
03-07-2013, 09:44
I have an old organ I don't use anymore - I never got any further than chopsticks

Well you would !

I was talking to the monkey not the organ grinder :devil2:

TOTO 99
03-07-2013, 09:57
Opt out is a great idea. You only have to look at the turnout for voting to see that people are either too busy or just can't be bothered.

I have lots of parts available. Some more suntanned than others..:wow: But I've never bothered to become an organ donor for one reason or another. They'd be welcome to anything they can make use of, I wouldn't mind at all. There must be millions of people in the same situation. Great idea. Well done Wales...

Malteser Monkey
03-07-2013, 09:59
Opt out is a great idea. You only have to look at the turnout for voting to see that people are either too busy or just can't be bothered.

I have lots of parts available. Some more suntanned than others..:wow: But I've never bothered to become an organ donor for one reason or another. They'd be welcome to anything they can make use of, I wouldn't mind at all. There must be millions of people in the same situation. Great idea. Well done Wales...

so true mate !

primrose
03-07-2013, 10:27
I have asked my OH if he would want to donate his Organs and his answer has always been, well If I am dead they are no good to me so somebody else might as well have them and to be honest I feel the same but and it's a big but if you are asked to make the decision at one of the worst times of your life watching a loved one dying would you put a strangers life before before somebody you love.I have so much admiration for people like Megaloo who would willingly have said yes but perhaps I am selfish as I know I would take an organ if needed but would have to think long and hard before I could make the decision for a relative of mine.

I think Wales has got it right let each individual person make up there own mind while they are able to make a decision and not put the responsibility on a relative.At a time when a person goes to work in the morning and you get a phone call to get to the Hospital ASAP to be met by a Doctor who tells you your OH has a 2% chance of living and there will be Brain damage are you really capable of making that decision.

I don't think at that moment in time I could say yes, but know I would regret not saying yes for the rest of my life.This is a very difficult question to answer.

curlytop
03-07-2013, 10:32

any thoughts?

I'm a welsh donor and live in Tenerife - so, if this law is passed and I die on the Island will Wales have a legal battle over my organs?

melm
03-07-2013, 12:27
I have asked my OH if he would want to donate his Organs and his answer has always been, well If I am dead they are no good to me so somebody else might as well have them and to be honest I feel the same but and it's a big but if you are asked to make the decision at one of the worst times of your life watching a loved one dying would you put a strangers life before before somebody you love.I have so much admiration for people like Megaloo who would willingly have said yes but perhaps I am selfish as I know I would take an organ if needed but would have to think long and hard before I could make the decision for a relative of mine.

I think Wales has got it right let each individual person make up there own mind while they are able to make a decision and not put the responsibility on a relative.At a time when a person goes to work in the morning and you get a phone call to get to the Hospital ASAP to be met by a Doctor who tells you your OH has a 2% chance of living and there will be Brain damage are you really capable of making that decision.

I don't think at that moment in time I could say yes, but know I would regret not saying yes for the rest of my life.This is a very difficult question to answer.

So So true Primrose. Suppose there never is a good time for this decision so maybe it is a good idea if someone else makes it for you. I know three people who have had kidney transplants and the transformation to their lives is wonderful (my sister-in-law being one of them). I will carry my donor card with me ........... que sera sera

Bhamannette
03-07-2013, 13:03
I am a donor and quite happy for them to take whatever is of any use. Ive also always told my family not to put me on a machine unless there is a very big chance Ill be fully recovered, last thing Id want is for it to be a long drawn out process for them, give it a short while then if I cant survive without it, turn it off. On the other hand if it was my daughter, Id probably want to keep her at any cost, she is also a donor as is my husband. Its def a tough one.

kingbaker
03-05-2014, 20:48
All Irish driving licences have a donor section to tick ....takes away anyone elses decision..job done!!:p

kingbaker
03-05-2014, 20:51
And yes Im a donor.

I also like doner kebabs.....so anyone getting my organs will not be able to pass a chippie!!:p:D

Malteser Monkey
03-05-2014, 21:38
And yes Im a donor.

I also like doner kebabs.....so anyone getting my organs will not be able to pass a chippie!!:p:D

Lord ..what made you bring this old post up ??

I have an old yamaha upstairs ?

kingbaker
03-05-2014, 21:50

Really MM theres no need to call me Lord.

I was wondering, if I needed an organ, wott kinda peeps would I have to choose from. Not many to choose from after all, so a bit dissapointed.
We need more donors!!!!! ;):)

kingbaker
03-05-2014, 21:52

Wott kinda old yamaha is it? A 125 perhap:ps

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2014, 10:39
Could be I've not tinkled the ivories for years now

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 10:54
Could be I've not tinkled the ivories for years now

You might need transplants!!? (fingers) :p:(;):)

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2014, 11:58
You might need transplants!!? (fingers) :p:(;):)

talking of which I need to re pot some spider plants this afternoon:D

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 12:20
talking of which I need to re pot some spider plants this afternoon:D

Glad that I could help missus!!:p:(:D

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 23:58

any thoughts?

I know its an old thread but when my father died in '88 they phoned me in the middle of the night asking for us to donate his Corneas. I said yes automatically. The operation was successfull. Who ever got new corneas (secondhand but in pmo) in Dublin on 9th Dec '88, I hope you are alive and well and still seeing great. Unlikely but hey ho!!;)

bonitatime
05-05-2014, 15:45
An interesting thought here is do they let ex-UK residents donate as they don't let them donate blood

Malteser Monkey
05-05-2014, 15:56
An interesting thought here is do they let ex-UK residents donate as they don't let them donate blood

Really I didn't know that - any reason surely blood is blood just the different group types? I'm intrigued

primrose
05-05-2014, 15:59
Really I didn't know that - any reason surely blood is blood just the different group types? I'm intrigued

It's because of Mad Cow Disease.

Malteser Monkey
05-05-2014, 16:03
It's because of Mad Cow Disease.

I'm sure you're not pulling my leg but I have to ask, what about if a native has lived in Britain for say 10/20 years and moved back surely ..................

primrose
05-05-2014, 16:15
I'm sure you're not pulling my leg but I have to ask, what about if a native has lived in Britain for say 10/20 years and moved back surely ..................

Then I don't think they would be able to donate.The Red Cross were in the center of Santa Cruz one day recruiting Blood Donors and they told us anybody that had lived in the UK wasn't allowed to give blood.I suppose if they are that that careful they will ask when they fill the form in.

Malteser Monkey
05-05-2014, 16:34
Then I don't think they would be able to donate.The Red Cross were in the center of Santa Cruz one day recruiting Blood Donors and they told us anybody that had lived in the UK wasn't allowed to give blood.I suppose if they are that that careful they will ask when they fill the form in.

Right ok - well every day's a learning day !!

kingbaker
05-05-2014, 16:50
There must be a proper screening or testing system available nowadays. Funding problems maybe?:(

bonitatime
05-05-2014, 19:11
They dont screen For CDJ And therefore its easier to just say no to Brits
Not joking

kingbaker
05-05-2014, 19:33
They dont screen For CDJ And therefore its easier to just say no to Brits
Not joking

Better to screen than get prosecuted for discrimination me thinks:p

melm
06-05-2014, 18:36
I know its an old thread but when my father died in '88 they phoned me in the middle of the night asking for us to donate his Corneas. I said yes automatically. The operation was successfull. Who ever got new corneas (secondhand but in pmo) in Dublin on 9th Dec '88, I hope you are alive and well and still seeing great. Unlikely but hey ho!!;)

what a nice gesture kingbaker. I'm sure your dad would have been proud of you:tiphat: