PDA

View Full Version : Talking on mobile phone at the checkout!

LUCKY
04-07-2013, 12:47
What are your'e views on the following story.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353581/Sainsburys-customer-shocked-checkout-assistant-refuses-serve-mobile.html
:flatcap:

junglejim
04-07-2013, 12:59
It was on BBC today - worse , try my local where the barmaid talks on phone whilst serving you , or texting her mates!
Time to change pub - or staff!

Malteser Monkey
04-07-2013, 13:01
I couldn't agree more (unless it's an emergency) I get fed up with people holding up queues with having a general chit chat.

I don't answer mine if it rings - I think it is rude - someone is trying to serve you are you couldn't be bothered to show a bit of common curtesy :spin:

Jumpinjax
04-07-2013, 13:10
I think it is terribly rude to talk / text whilst engaging with other people. Unfortunately this kind of behaviour seems to be the norm nowadays.

Leam_Lin
04-07-2013, 13:13
If a customer of mine is on their mobile I find something else to do, then make them wait while I serve the next customer.

Malteser Monkey
04-07-2013, 13:23
I think it is terribly rude to talk / text whilst engaging with other people. Unfortunately this kind of behaviour seems to be the norm nowadays.

I wouldn't dream of talking or texting then :whistle::D ooooerrrr missus

If a customer of mine is on their mobile I find something else to do, then make them wait while I serve the next customer.

Good on ya !

Jumpinjax
04-07-2013, 13:38
I wouldn't dream of talking or texting then :whistle::D ooooerrrr missus

Depends on who rang me ,if it was my wife....................

TOTO 99
04-07-2013, 13:48
I think perhaps in this instance she might well have been on the phone and expected the checkout lady to sort her stuff out. These people aren't slaves.

I'm gutted that the store didn't back up the staff member. That would be the bit that put me off Sainsburys.

karinagal
04-07-2013, 14:02
I think perhaps in this instance she might well have been on the phone and expected the checkout lady to sort her stuff out. These people aren't slaves.

I'm gutted that the store didn't back up the staff member. That would be the bit that put me off Sainsburys.

I agree with you. My daughter worked checkout in Tesco for a few years and she agrees that it is the height of ignorance to be chatting on the phone and expect your shopping to be bagged and ready for you. Could the customer not have made the call either before she went to the checkout, when she was in the queue or after she'd been served? I'd love to hear from the checkout girl.. I'm willing to bet it wasn't the quick call that the customer said it was.... The thing is, if there's any problem during the checkout process such as items without prices, fruit/veg to be weighed the cashier might need the customers attention. The store should have told the customer that although its not store policy as such, it is easier for all concerned if the customer and the cashier can work together to ensure a speedy transaction and less waiting time for the next customer.

How would the customer have felt if the cashier had been talking to someone on phone while serving her?

Malteser Monkey
04-07-2013, 14:03
Depends on who rang me ,if it was my wife....................

:crylaughing:

TenerifeTeddy
04-07-2013, 14:49
I also am not impressed that the store management didn't back up the staff member. It is just plain rude to use a phone when interacting with another person, it clearly states that what I am doing is far more important than you.!

It seems incredible that mobile phones have only been readily available for 20 years. Just how much has our pattern of behaviour changed in that time, and just how dependant on them have we become.

Before the mobile you were not contactable on the move, unless you rang in from a public phone somewhere, so often once you left somewhere you were probably not contactable until you returned or were at home. Now you are contactable 24 hours a day, and I can't believe the number of people who get upset if you haven't answered back either instantly or within a very few minutes.

Bazz
04-07-2013, 14:55
A while ago I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen for about 25 years. Whilst trying to have a conversation she was busy texting on her phone! :mad:

warbey
04-07-2013, 19:51
This Person has illustrated to all and Sundry She is Ignorant..

Sainsburys have illustrated they don't back up Their staff.

They should have a no Phones at Checkout Policy.....