PDA

View Full Version : Other What's it like to live in Vilaflor?

Balcony
05-07-2013, 08:25
Does anyone live in Vilaflor? If so, can you tell me what it's like to live there year-round? What are the highlights and what are the drawbacks...say with weather?

We have a chance of a place there, but I know it only as a place for a brief stop-off for lunch etc.

ribuck
05-07-2013, 09:03
Obviously Vilaflor is a great place if you like to visit the Teide National Park on a frequent basis!

My hiking trips often end in Vilaflor, and I notice that the young people there always seem to be heading off to Los Cristianos, so I guess there's not a lot for them to do in Vilaflor. There's a good sportsground though.

I suppose it depends what lifestyle you want. For anyone who wants a cheap finca with broad views, and speaks Spanish, and doesn't like the coastal humidity or mosquitoes, Vilaflor might be perfect!

delderek
05-07-2013, 09:43
Maybe the winter temps, will influence your choice. min 6 deg at night. max 13 during the day. :(

Malteser Monkey
05-07-2013, 09:49
Maybe the winter temps, will influence your choice. min 6 deg at night. max 13 during the day. :(

Like Wales then :D

canarybird
05-07-2013, 11:43
It's the village with the highest altitude of all Canaries, at 1,400 meters above sea level and with a small population of around 2,000 people.

Other than that, I guess you have to like the style of life found in a small village high up over the sea. I've just driven through and stopped for lunch there, it was charming but not for me as a life style.

ofimart
05-07-2013, 13:51
I have a friend who has lived up there for many years. Coming down "here" is a major ordeal and he does so once a week only for his shopping and getting all the things he needs . It gets much hotter up there in the summer and much cooler in the winter. It is beautiful but way too remote for me to live at this stage of my life but he loves it very much and couldn't live down here.
It all depends on each individuals needs, each to their own. There is always fors and against for every thing in life. I'll ask him to gve his views of living in Vilaflor and copy and paste his wealth of experience for you to read. It may help others too who may be weighing up if they would be suitable to live there.

Jacquie x

ofimart
06-07-2013, 12:42
Does anyone live in Vilaflor? If so, can you tell me what it's like to live there year-round? What are the highlights and what are the drawbacks...say with weather?

We have a chance of a place there, but I know it only as a place for a brief stop-off for lunch etc.

Here's his reply, (I've edited some personal bits to me). Hope it helps a little. Jacquie x
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Jacquie,

nice to hear from you, and to know Vilaflor might be getting a new resident !. Here's my view on Vilaflor which I hope will be useful for others.

We have been here for nearly 25 years now so obviously are very happy here, and would not want to live anywhere else on the island.

I don't know where they might be thinking of living, as you know we live just outside the village, very remote with a handful of neighbours.

We love the quiet and seclusion, and the change in seasons. Winter can be cool, log fires some nights. Days can usually be about 15º c. For a couple of times during the winter it can go lower with high of about 10º but that doesn't last long. Sometimes also can be higher up to about 20º. But whatever `Vilaflor can be above any bad weather and often looks down onto the cloud below as we bask in lovely clear clean sunshine. Summer is always sun sun sun. temperatures about 25º-27º perfect, no humidity, but can for a couple of times get very hot up to 37º- 40º, but again doesn't last too long . There are several English families living actually in the village and again are very happy and as far as we know, wouldn't want to live anywhere else on the island, I suppose it's real living, in a Spanish community rather than being a permanent tourist.

Vilaflor is very quiet, a few shops that cater to everyday things. A few restaurants,( though our favorite 2 have closed due to the times were living in.) The "MERCADONAS" etc are only half a hour away on the coast, either Las Americas or Chafiras/San Isidro.
Being on the edge of the national park is wonderful for walking, picnicking, and outdoor activities.

Balcony
08-07-2013, 16:06
Thanks all for your responses. It brought back some thoughts of previous stop-overs - particularly the variance in the weather. We too would appreciate a quieter environment and the kind of outdoors the location offers.

We haven't heard more about the property, which we were told would be coming up for sale a 3rd party and we've been stuck in the UK. It sounded interesting to us as we like Vilaflor, but have to deal with the realities of whether it suits us. Hoping to hear more later this week.