PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Wimbledon 2013... can Andy do it?

melm
05-07-2013, 17:12
assuming he wins today can he do it this year??

Much too scary and nerve wracking for me to watch:hide:

I'm sure we all wish him lots of luck.

C'mon Andy:cheer:

Tickey
05-07-2013, 17:19
Well he has to get into the final first :crylaughing:

melm
05-07-2013, 17:22

I know I know........... just hoping he gets to the final

Tickey
05-07-2013, 17:26
Yes but is he Scottish or British? :whistle:

TOTO 99
05-07-2013, 17:43

That depends on if he wins..:laugh:

melm
05-07-2013, 18:01

Both I would think:yum:

slodgedad
05-07-2013, 18:04
If he wins the press will call him British. If he loses they'll call him Scottish

melm
05-07-2013, 18:26
he's playing now its behind the sofa for me :spin:

karinagal
05-07-2013, 21:43
Ye've got to love those 'see you Jimmy' hats!! Good job Andy, some seriously fabulous shots out there..

melm
05-07-2013, 21:46
Ye've got to love those 'see you Jimmy' hats!! Good job Andy, some seriously fabulous shots out there..

HE DID IT:mexicanwave:

marbro8
05-07-2013, 21:49
Yes but is he Scottish or British? :whistle:i think he has learned from his gaff a few years ago, even though he said it was all tongue in cheek, he gets loads of support from the wimbledon crowd made up of english, scottish welsh and irish fans, "COME ON DREW":D

macdonald5
05-07-2013, 22:09

Well he's there !!!
Come on Andy :scotland:

Scottish but also proud to be British

melm
05-07-2013, 22:44
HE DID IT:mexicanwave:

the question is will I be saying that after the final............hope so:wow:

slodgedad
05-07-2013, 23:11
Slightly off topic (Slapped my own wrist)

Why is it that if a Scot, Welshman or someone from Northern Ireland wins something they are British?

If they lose they are Scottish, Welsh or Irish.

On the other hand if an Englishman wins something he is English, but if he loses he's British.

marbro8
05-07-2013, 23:35

Why is it that if a Scot, Welshman or someone from Northern Ireland wins something they are British?

On the other hand if an Englishman wins something he is English, but if he loses he's British.to be honest slodge after 4 snake bites and 2 large glasses of tenessee honey you have me there:tongue:, i will try to give you my opinion tomora:D

Tickey
06-07-2013, 06:43
Great match - looking forward to the final tomorrow :goodluck:

Angusjim
06-07-2013, 07:22
Great match - looking forward to the final tomorrow :goodluck:

Come on ANDY even Tom and Sharon are cheering you on:laugh::whistle:

candy2411
06-07-2013, 10:28
Good luck tomorrow Andy Murray, he's done amazingly well to get to the final two years running.
A true sportsman, perfect gentleman, articulate in giving post match interviews (well done for keeping cool when that idiot from the BBC interviewed him after the quarterfinal) and win or lose tomorrow he can be very proud as will all of Britain.

As for the critics who say he never smiles.....well nobody got to be world class at their sport by having a silly grin on their face!:raspberry2:

melm
06-07-2013, 17:33

On the other hand if an Englishman wins something he is English, but if he loses he's British.

think its the English commentators they are sooooooooo biased.........just my thoughtsrolleyes2:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

to be honest slodge after 4 snake bites and 2 large glasses of tenessee honey you have me there:tongue:, i will try to give you my opinion tomora:D

how much!!!!!

Tom & Sharon
06-07-2013, 20:34
Come on ANDY even Tom and Sharon are cheering you on:laugh::whistle:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :nono::nono::nono::nono:

candy2411
06-07-2013, 21:25

Have a heart you guys !!!:dontknow:

imablue
06-07-2013, 21:31
He got a lot to answer for ...mud sticks ....would applaud him if he does do it ... but can,t say i would be particularly bothered either way ...:snore:

candy2411
06-07-2013, 21:40
He got a lot to answer for ...mud sticks ....would applaud him if he does do it ... but can,t say i would be particularly bothered either way ...:snore:

Not bothered either TBH, he's done himself immensely proud by getting to the final!!
:spin:

imablue
06-07-2013, 21:43
Candy ..agree best of luck to him .......

Tickey
06-07-2013, 21:48
Come on Novak :jumping:

candy2411
06-07-2013, 21:52
Come on Novak :jumping:

In the words of John Mc Enroe ' You Cannot be Serious !!!!!!':devil2:

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 07:16

So you are warming to him:raspberry2:

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 09:02
its not about him being Scottish its about him. :raspberry2:

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 09:23
its not about him being Scottish its about him. :raspberry2:

Quite right PR don't you just hate a passionate, great / dedicated athlete on top of his game who at long last gives us a realistic BRITISH hope for winning Wimbledon. COME ON ANDY :c2::c2::mexicanwave:

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 09:37
Quite right PR don't you just hate a passionate, great / dedicated athlete on top of his game who at long last gives us a realistic BRITISH hope for winning Wimbledon. COME ON ANDY :c2::c2::mexicanwave:

Don't hate the guy. Just cant seem to bring myself to like him. The best I can say is that he is Marmite.

He seems to have about as much passion as a grapefruit (and a sour one at that :) ) and about as much personality as well.

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 09:52
Don't hate the guy. Just cant seem to bring myself to like him. The best I can say is that he is Marmite.

He seems to have about as much passion as a grapefruit (and a sour one at that :) ) and about as much personality as well.

But lets look at the last couple of Wimbledon hopefuls the lovely / cuddly Tim but Dim Henman lovely chap with great manners who gave wonderful interviews but was never going to win a grand slam tournament as he had no bottle and was not good enough, then we have Gregg Rusedski another lovely chap who won no grand slams either( lets not even mention how he ever became a British tennis player anyway ?? ) As for passion don't think you get to Murrays standard in any sport without passion he may not show it the way the others do but it must be there. So come PR get cheering him on today :jumping::jump2:

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 10:03
Never liked soppy Tim or the Canadian imposter either.

Murray is not so much passionate ,has driven, and to me its a far from healthy endeavour. God help him if he loses.

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 10:08
Never liked soppy Tim or the Canadian imposter either.

Murray is not so much passionate ,has driven, and to me its a far from healthy endeavour. God help him if he loses.

So all in all you just don't like tennis players:laugh::laugh:

YOUNG GOLFER
07-07-2013, 10:53
Well by far the best player to come out of the UK for many a years .......wish him all the best today. We have had other great sportsman in other sports over the years that are British and are not everyone's cup of tea chris Eubanks comes to mind but you have to respect them at their sport.

garlicbread
07-07-2013, 11:56
Either way the Scots can't lose today

go get 'im Andy

smigster
07-07-2013, 12:16
I will bet its the st Andrews flag he gets out on centre court if we have the misfortune of watching him win

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 12:30
I will bet its the st Andrews flag he gets out on centre court if we have the misfortune of watching him win

There is an easy answer to your issue DON'T WATCH, but I will bet you he does not get out the St Andrews cross on the Centre court say £25? loser sends cheque to Prostate Cancer charity ?;)

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 12:44
Love watching tennis but I am of the J McEnroe and Jimmy Connors era really.

I don't wish him (Murray) any harm or that he loses.

I just do not feel any affinity for him at all.

He has made it clear in the past that he dosent play for England why would he ??

and those that claim him has British are deluding themselves IMHO

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 12:51
Love watching tennis but I am of the J McEnroe and Jimmy Connors era really.

I don't wish him (Murray) any harm or that he loses.

I just do not feel any affinity for him at all.

He has made it clear in the past that he dosent play for England why would he ??

and those that claim him has British are deluding themselves IMHO

You cannot be serious !! Borg was a bit soul less person in that era but was the best

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 13:03
You cannot be serious !! Borg was a bit soul less person in that era but was the best

your right Borg was very Murrayesque I always liked the bad boys best Natstie was the best of the best IMHO :)

I have decided I do hope Murray wins after all ..........for the benefit if his sanity if nothing else :)

Angusjim
07-07-2013, 13:07
your right Borg was very Murrayesque I always liked the bad boys best Natstie was the best of the best IMHO :)

I have decided I do hope Murray wins after all ..........for the benefit if his sanity if nothing else :)

Good to have a bit of banter with you PR I am going to my local to watch the match but first need to look out my union jack flag ;)

YOUNG GOLFER
07-07-2013, 14:36
Nice to see so many people from Tenerife at centre court flying the flag.:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2013, 14:46
Nice to see so many people from Tenerife at centre court flying the flag.:laugh:

:wink2::D;)

AL JAY
07-07-2013, 14:56
Nice break for Murray here 4-3 and serving *munches another Strawberry sips Pimms* :D

melm
07-07-2013, 14:58
Nice break for Murray here 4-3 and serving *munches another Strawberry sips Pimms* :D

:hide::hide:

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2013, 15:04

Melm behind the sofa with a vat of wine:D

AL JAY
07-07-2013, 15:06

Buckfast & Crisps really :wow: us Scots must stick together :wink2:

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2013, 15:08
I heard you the first time:D

Murray first set

marbro8
07-07-2013, 15:38
think its the English commentators they are sooooooooo biased.........just my thoughtsrolleyes2:

how much!!!!!4 pints and a couple of chasers isn't a lot on a friday night:D are you a doctor?:D

YOUNG GOLFER
07-07-2013, 16:25
Two sets to nil up for the Brit.

Tickey
07-07-2013, 16:29
The Scots going to win :flatcap:

Do you think Novak is throwing the match?

candy2411
07-07-2013, 17:10
Fabulous match , tension and emotion building!
Not sure I can take much more!!:)

Tickey
07-07-2013, 17:13
:jumping:.............

YOUNG GOLFER
07-07-2013, 17:24
He did it ....... well done that man for making history:jumping:

AL JAY
07-07-2013, 17:24
:respect::respect::respect::lots-jumping::lots-jumping::lots-jumping::lots-jumping::lots-jumping:

Well done Andy!!!

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 17:26
come on smile :)

macdonald5
07-07-2013, 17:27
Well done Oor Andy xxxxxxxx!!!
Best since Perry

Championy xxxxxxxxxx

marbro8
07-07-2013, 17:27
brill well done, we brits have waited a long time for that:wink2::c2::c2::c2:

melm
07-07-2013, 17:30
Well done Oor Andy xxxxxxxx!!!
Best since Perry

Championy xxxxxxxxxx

:crying2::laugh::mexicanwave: he did it so so happy

Melm behind the sofa with a vat of wine:D

you know me so wellrolleyes2:

imablue
07-07-2013, 17:49
Well done to the lad ... you don,t get much more decisive than...3 straight sets ....:c2::c2:

Ecky Thump
07-07-2013, 17:50
brill well done, we brits have waited a long time for that:wink2::c2::c2::c2:

Oh yes, he is very very British!!!:devil2:
:D:devil2::D

macdonald5
07-07-2013, 18:08

Dunblane (his Scottish hometown) will bounce tonight ! :scotland::party4::party3:
Britain has waited 77long years for this !!

Tom & Sharon
07-07-2013, 18:23
Dunblane (his Scottish hometown) will bounce tonight ! :scotland::party4::party3:
Britain has waited 77long years for this !!

First British man to win in 77years, Errrr No, Virginia Wade won it in 1977 :raspberry2:

Tom

LeFrunk
07-07-2013, 18:23
Half Irish , Andy O`Murry.

TenerifeFanatic
07-07-2013, 18:27
I agree Eric.......today he is very very British.........but WE KNOW he is Scottish through and through!!!!! My heart is burst in' wi' pride!!!!

Tom & Sharon
07-07-2013, 18:30
I agree Eric.......today he is very very British.........but WE KNOW he is Scottish through and through!!!!!

Not exactly......

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/murray.php

Tom

Taylor
07-07-2013, 18:34
Well still 77 years since a Brit won it First Scotsman to win it ever!!!! :raspberry2:

TenerifeFanatic
07-07-2013, 18:35
[/B]
Not exactly......

[url]http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/murray.ph
Tom
Whatever..........I am still extremely proud of Andy.and his family.

LeFrunk
07-07-2013, 18:35
[/B]
Not exactly......

Tom

English then , that's nice. 20 pages in the papers for the next couple weeks , well done Andrew.

CaribeCelt
07-07-2013, 18:39
Half Irish , Andy O`Murry.

No you're wrong...it's Aindriu O'Muireadhaigh.;)

[/B]
Not exactly......

Tom

O.K youse can have Andy and we'll take back the Beatles,Oasis and Wayne Rooney:devil2:

TenerifeFanatic
07-07-2013, 18:57
A nice lift for Dunblane.........after years of heartbreak!x

melm
07-07-2013, 19:00
A nice lift for Dunblane.........after years of heartbreak!x

so so true...what a much needed boost for this town:agree:

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 19:21
Fair play to the lad. I hope he can relax now he has the monkey (or should that be mummy) off his back.

Let me know when he can match this incredible career achievment...............

Nadal has won 12 Grand Slam singles titles, the 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles, and a record 24 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 and 14 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments.

He was also a member of the winning Spain Davis Cup team in 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2011.

In 2010, he became the seventh player in history and youngest of four in the Open Era to achieve the Career Grand Slam.

He is only the second male player, after Andre Agassi, to complete the Career Golden Slam.

Nadal and Mats Wilander are the only players in history who have won at least two Grand Slam titles on three different surfaces—hard court, grass, and clay.

By winning the 2013 French Open, Nadal became the only male player to win a single Grand Slam tournament eight times and the first to win at least one Grand Slam tournament for nine consecutive years, breaking the record of eight previously shared by Björn Borg, Pete Sampras, and Roger Federer.

Nadal holds the record for most consecutive titles at a particular tournament as a result of winning his eighth straight Monte-Carlo Masters in 2012.

melm
07-07-2013, 19:25
Fair play to the lad. I hope he can relax now he has the monkey (or should that be mummy) off his back.

One step at a time. its the here and now we are celebrating:party2:

Albatros
07-07-2013, 20:03

And your point is? I would hate to have been your child. Useless until I superceded Einstein.
Andy has done well in his career so far and it is always hard to judge players or teams from different 'generations'. Andy has been playing in a generation that has had, IMO, the best there has been. Winning when there are at least 10 contenders is no easy task.

Tickey
07-07-2013, 20:15
Dam Novak for throwing that match :crylaughing:

Peterrayner
07-07-2013, 20:25
And your point is? I would hate to have been your child. Useless until I superceded Einstein.
Andy has done well in his career so far and it is always hard to judge players or teams from different 'generations'. Andy has been playing in a generation that has had, IMO, the best there has been. Winning when there are at least 10 contenders is no easy task.

oh please not that old Murray line.................."its not fair I was born in the wrong era"......... boo hoo

BTW I`m happy he won..................not least for the sake of his sanity.

Albatros
07-07-2013, 20:57
oh please not that old Murray line.................."its not fair I was born in the wrong era"......... boo hoo.

Your statement not mine or his, I am sure.

I am not defending him ... he can do that himself on the court.

My statement was aimed at all of the current contenders. We are blessed at the moment. Top class entertainment.

I am proud of anyone who can reach the top echelons of their sport. It is no mean feat.

CaribeCelt
07-07-2013, 21:27
It's doing the rounds that he is donating the prize money to a cancer hospital...if true,he is a top man:bowdown:

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2013, 21:27
Dam Novak for throwing that match :crylaughing:

:tongue: ur on dodgy ground:D

Tickey
07-07-2013, 21:33
It's doing the rounds that he is donating the prize money to a cancer hospital...if true,he is a top man:bowdown:

He certainly donated his winnings from Queens so perhaps that's it?

CaribeCelt
07-07-2013, 21:36
He certainly donated his winnings from Queens so perhaps that's it?

I seen that mate....there is conflicting stories on the internet about it.

On another note....I heard the Sky news reporter saying Murray is Scotland's first Wimbledon champion.
They should do a bit of research...

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/tennis/scottish-wimbledon-champion-that-history-forgot-1-908988

melm
07-07-2013, 23:21
I seen that mate....there is conflicting stories on the internet about it.

On another note....I heard the Sky news reporter saying Murray is Scotland's first Wimbledon champion.
They should do a bit of research...

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/tennis/scottish-wimbledon-champion-that-history-forgot-1-908988

never thought of that how proud their mammy must be................well done Judy:tiphat:

YOUNG GOLFER
07-07-2013, 23:55
Gets a little silly this Scotland England thing ...the guy is Scottish and British and we have all witnessed a guy who has worked his socks off after last years final to make himself better at the game. Fair play to him I just hope he now goes for the no1 spot .....which I think he will.

marbro8
08-07-2013, 22:17
Gets a little silly this Scotland England thing ...the guy is Scottish and British and we have all witnessed a guy who has worked his socks off after last years final to make himself better at the game. Fair play to him I just hope he now goes for the no1 spot .....which I think he will.
yep i agree, they slated the sun today in our local paper, they said that what he said "i will be supporting anyone but england" in the last world cup as just a bit of scottish english banter, and they have every reason, as when we win something it isn't the fact we have won it's the fact that they have to listen to us bang on about it for ever:laugh: