PDA

View Full Version : Relocation How are newly moved out people finding it in Tenerife then?

Tom & Sharon
06-07-2013, 16:51
With all the posts that are on here constantly with people announcing they're moving out on "X" date, I thought it might be interesting for others thinking of doing the same, if they posted how they are finding everything now they've actually done it.

How did you feel about the actual move? Was it as easy/harder than you thought?

Did you find accommodation easily? Was it the standard you expected?

How did you manage with the necessary paperwork? NIE etc.

Did you need to find a job? If so, how easy was it? How does it compare to your job in the UK?

How does your life now compare to your life in the UK?

Is it better than you thought or is it a disappointment?

Do you have children? How are they adapting?

Are you staying? Do you think you'll stay forever, or is it just for a few months/years?

I'm not talking about people who've been on the island 20 years and are well established. I'm talking about people who've moved out in the last couple of years during the global recession.

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2013, 14:35
Must have changed their minds:dontknow::wink2:

Tom & Sharon
07-07-2013, 16:33
Must have changed their minds:dontknow::wink2:

Haha........It's just 24 hrs now since I posted it, and not a single reply.

How do you read that?

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2013, 16:39
Strange, maybe as it was Sat night most peops are out ? See what happens

kiwiphil
07-07-2013, 17:27
Yep, checked the calendar, its definitely the weekend.

I've been here 13 months now. All is pretty much as expected but I had been here quite a few times so had a pretty good idea what to expect. I am working as an Autonomo but for a UK company so didn't need to look for a job here. I think that this seems to be the biggest issue for people, so for me to be able to dodge that one completely probably makes my situation pretty irrelevant for most people.

I don't have any children so no challenges there.

My two dogs have settled in well. It is a dogs life after all .... Dogs walks at night in the middle of "winter" really can't be compared to the UK. That alone is worth the price of admission!

There is alot of paperwork but if you simply pay someone (thanks Diana) to do it then its really not much of an issue. Its really not that much different to the UK in that regard. Most people on here are from the UK so have never had to set themselves up in a new country. But as a kiwi I had to go through the whole process in the UK. And I knew the language in the UK (mostly) so that made it easier than arriving here. And on the whole I don't think its that different or more onerous.

Accommodation is a great price and a reasonable standard, but many agents are not great at keeping you informed so that can be a pain. NB, I live in El Medano so haven't dealt with any of the agents most people deal with.

So yeah, all good and I'm staying!

Taylor
07-07-2013, 18:51
Moved here in January after many years threatning to do it!
Its brilliant and wish I had carried out the threat years ago.
NIE not really an issue with me I am one of the Grey Ghost types just live on the island for 8 weeks at a stretch and 8 weeks away.

The rented place I have taken in Palm Mar well exceeds expectations, but way to big....but with Daughter and 3 Grandkids visiting as much as they can need the space. I enjoy the outdoor lifestyle Tenerife gives me, with 8 weeks to do pretty much as I please.....feels Hedonistic tbh :tiphat:

I don't really miss anything about the UK in all truthfulness. I guess I have found my niche in life and can't imagine being anywhere else!!!

ribuck
07-07-2013, 19:59
... I am one of the Grey Ghost types just live on the island for 8 weeks at a stretch and 8 weeks away.
How does that work out practically? I presume you rent a place permanently so that you can keep your possessions there rather than living out of a suitcase. So you effectively have a 50% occupancy rate.

Are all your other fixed costs double too? For example, do you keep a car in Tenerife; do you pay for internet service 12 months of the year, etc?

It's of interest to me because, on an Australian passport, I can spend 90 days out of every 180 in Tenerife.

Taylor
07-07-2013, 21:56
How does that work out practically? I presume you rent a place permanently so that you can keep your possessions there rather than living out of a suitcase. So you effectively have a 50% occupancy rate.

Are all your other fixed costs double too? For example, do you keep a car in Tenerife; do you pay for internet service 12 months of the year, etc?

It's of interest to me because, on an Australian passport, I can spend 90 days out of every 180 in Tenerife.

I rent permanently for the year where I live, I just bought some new toys, TV, Bluray player, the house has absolutely everything I need and then some. Only thing I did take from the UK is my Computer which I shipped over, all my UK stuff went to Friends and Family, this is a completely new start for me.

I have a great car rental deal no point in me buying one here or shipping my car over, I have my internet service ect ect paid for the year, I am basically renting for a couple of years before I take the final plunge and buy, with how its going it may even be sooner.

So basically I pay everything for the year same as anyone, but my Daughter and Grandkids can come over and have a holiday even if I am away at work.

My Job involves working all over the world I neither contribute to the UK or Spanish economy tax wise so I am also Tax free. So it's a great situation to be in, I think i'm correct that as long as I don't stay 3 months or more at any period I don't initially need NIE, residencia papers.

ribuck
07-07-2013, 22:15
Wow, a genuine perpetual traveller! Thanks for your reply.

melm
07-07-2013, 23:14
I rent permanently for the year where I live, I just bought some new toys, TV, Bluray player, the house has absolutely everything I need and then some. Only thing I did take from the UK is my Computer which I shipped over, all my UK stuff went to Friends and Family, this is a completely new start for me.

I have a great car rental deal no point in me buying one here or shipping my car over, I have my internet service ect ect paid for the year, I am basically renting for a couple of years before I take the final plunge and buy, with how its going it may even be sooner.

So basically I pay everything for the year same as anyone, but my Daughter and Grandkids can come over and have a holiday even if I am away at work.

My Job involves working all over the world I neither contribute to the UK or Spanish economy tax wise so I am also Tax free. So it's a great situation to be in, I think i'm correct that as long as I don't stay 3 months or more at any period I don't initially need NIE, residencia papers.

Lucky lucky lucky you:bowdown: sounds the ideal lifestyle

Taylor
07-07-2013, 23:59
Lucky lucky lucky you:bowdown: sounds the ideal lifestyle

It's a grind Melm, go to work 3 times a year, visit new and exciting places...(well the current Alaska job sucks!) but on the whole yea I love it!!!!! :bowdown:

YOUNG GOLFER
08-07-2013, 00:02
It's all about quality of life.....you only have to look on Facebook or talking to them on the phone over the last few days to see how happy family and friends have been back in the UK due to the sun being out. It makes a big difference.

Taylor
08-07-2013, 00:09
It's all about quality of life.....you only have to look on Facebook or talking to them on the phone over the last few days to see how happy family and friends have been back in the UK due to the sun being out. It makes a big difference.

Haha agreed GF even burnt her bum at Bournemouth beach!!

Topacciolo
18-07-2013, 18:16
Hi, I moved here in November 2012. After couple of years of preparation we finally did it!!
It´s the way i was expecting it... Nice, warm, relaxed.... The slow pace of life is the only thing you need to get used to...
Everyone always told me...everyone here takes their times... everyone does everything mañana.... and it true!! How many times i heard this in only few months!! and how many times i had to tell myself... "You knew this so do not get upset..." so here we are....
Not regretting it at all! We did move and took over a business so we did´t have to look for a job but non the less it was a challenge.. a challenge that we enjoyed doing!! Me and my girlfriend don´t have children so of course it was easier than other people but we got our cat here and a part from the trip he loves it too!!!
Nothing is easy and nothing comes to you in a silver plate but i always said that if you want something and you work hard for it you can do it so we listen to everyone... we got many many info from here (thanks again everyone by the way!!!! I will definitely come at the next reunion or Xmas party or anything else....) and took a chance.... and now.. like i said to all the people that asked me... I will let you know in a couple of years if it was the right decision or not.... but if it will turn out to be the wrong choice at list we did it... at list we tried... i list we will never look back and say "How it would have be leaving moving and live in Tenerife?"
the only things missing are our friends but hey.... you can´t move them too.... and i hope we will have the chance of meeting new people and new friends here!!!

Tom & Sharon
23-07-2013, 17:38
Every reply has been from people not needing a job to enjoy the move.

You definitely can't beat the lifestyle if you have independent income.

Still people on the forum looking for jobs to move over.

Has anyone actually managed to source decent employment, maintain it for a reasonable length of time, and can see themselves staying forever? Again, I don't mean people who arrived 20 years ago, I mean people who've arrived in the last couple of years or so.

chocolatesundae
03-08-2013, 02:12
I arrived 3 months ago and started looking for work. My attitude was "if there's a will there's a way" however after 3 months of struggling to make ends meet and trying in vain to accept the bad wages here, I'm very much ready to leave. I applied for every job I saw initially. I took on one, at a beauty salon, working for commission only. I didn't like the commission only bit much, however it was a start and the commission was actually quite good assuming one gets clients. But clients were few and far between and thus I would only take home between 50 - 85 Euro per week for a 6 day week. After a few weeks of job hunting again, I got a job working night shifts in a hospital. 10 pm - 8 am changing adult diapers etc, and when my first wage slip came it turned out that I only get left with 160 Euro for a full weeks worth of night-shifts. Obviously now I sleep all day and barely get to see the sun. And the wage is not enough to live on . I still need another job to get by. The only expats that I have met here who have a job are business owners, everyone I've spoken to who is looking to be employed hasn't found anything, or they found something that paid commission only which ended up similar to my experience, earning only peanuts or nothing at all. Although living expenses are cheaper here, they are not cheap enough to be able to live on the kind of wages that are offered here. I will be leaving after my current (5 week) contract finishes, and I look forward to not having to count every cent. Sunshine isn't enough when making ends meet is daily worry and a losing battle. Best of luck to any new arrivals!

Tom & Sharon
03-08-2013, 10:39
I arrived 3 months ago and started looking for work. My attitude was "if there's a will there's a way" however after 3 months of struggling to make ends meet and trying in vain to accept the bad wages here, I'm very much ready to leave. I applied for every job I saw initially. I took on one, at a beauty salon, working for commission only. I didn't like the commission only bit much, however it was a start and the commission was actually quite good assuming one gets clients. But clients were few and far between and thus I would only take home between 50 - 85 Euro per week for a 6 day week. After a few weeks of job hunting again, I got a job working night shifts in a hospital. 10 pm - 8 am changing adult diapers etc, and when my first wage slip came it turned out that I only get left with 160 Euro for a full weeks worth of night-shifts. Obviously now I sleep all day and barely get to see the sun. And the wage is not enough to live on . I still need another job to get by. The only expats that I have met here who have a job are business owners, everyone I've spoken to who is looking to be employed hasn't found anything, or they found something that paid commission only which ended up similar to my experience, earning only peanuts or nothing at all. Although living expenses are cheaper here, they are not cheap enough to be able to live on the kind of wages that are offered here. I will be leaving after my current (5 week) contract finishes, and I look forward to not having to count every cent. Sunshine isn't enough when making ends meet is daily worry and a losing battle. Best of luck to any new arrivals!

Very frank post. Thank you. Good luck with your return to the UK, I hope you are able to return straight back to employment and the life you had before.

Anyone thinking of moving to Tenerife hoping to find a good job and a dream lifestyle would do well to heed this post.

Still no one has posted to say that they have managed just that!

TOPGUN77
03-08-2013, 12:40
Well this might be a long story,my wife and I have been coming to the island for the past 15 years or so and we always said this would be the ideal place to retire,i owned my own business as an Electrical Contractor and had had 12 years of earning good money what with the recession and the worst winter on record this was the ideal time to make the move.
We came over last year just before xmas to look at properties to buy, and boy there are bargains to be had we where looking for detached villas/bungalows but could not find anything suitable most of them where old fashioned and needed work doing.We then came across a 3 bed town house in El Roque with views to die for the house was immaculate and being less than 3 years old no major work needed doing.The house was on the market for 200,000 euros the owner then reduced it by 50,000 as they needed to get back to the UK as they could not find any work,it was then reduced another 10,000 and was told they would take an offer,we put a cheeky bid of 120,000 in and was accepted,i purchased the property at the right time what with the euro at a high rate and worked out to be around £103,000 result.
At this point just after xmas we had our house on the market and sold very quickly,we planned to come over around Nov/Dec but things where moving quickly we decided to sell everything furniture 5 cars the lot,completion date on our property was the 6th June so made all the necessary arrangements flights temp hotel accommodation for 10 nights etc.
After finding out the money through was safely in our bank account which was quicker than we thought we managed to bring the time forward for the taxi to pick us up to take us to our hotel as I flight was the next morning.
We came out with 4 suitcases and 2 holdalls to start our new life we decided to go down to the airport on the day before as this would make things a lot easier then to be hit with over £500 of excess baggage but the kind lady put our bags through without paying a penny more after I explained we had paid for 4 bags and there was a mistake on my behalf thinking it was 20kg per bag.
Got back to the hotel for a well deserved drink and meal got our head down for an early start as our flight was at 7.45am arrived in Tenerife well on time and got a taxi straight to the hotel.We thought having 10 days here would be a bit of a break before we went to Notary on the 10thJune how wrong where we there was so much to sort out buying furniture ,renting cars etc etc.
Well we finally done it got the keys to our new house and have now been here for 2 months,what we find hard is the language barrier and trying to make new friends,we talk to our friends back home on Skype but would be nice to meet up with similar people to us to share our experiences etc.
We love being out here to wake up to sunshine every morning but find it hard to slow down what with us both being retired there is so much to do but hopefully will slow down eventually.
We had some bad luck yesterday driving down the side ride of Wortens in Las Chafiras no cars in front or behind of us next thing bang what the hell have we hit some stupid Spaniard came flying out of a warehouse with a fork lift truck and smashed in the side of the car I was fuming,can't understand as why the other guy didn't see him out to see if the road was clear.
They took us to the store and they took pics of the damage to my car lucky enough it only appear to be the front bumper and under valance,we have to wait to Monday to get things sorted.This made us feel low but after a good nights sleep things happen but at least both of us are ok, so that's a brief story of the start of our new life here.

Leam_Lin
03-08-2013, 13:02
Glad your both okay. What a lovely story, enjoy your new life in Tenerife.

JaBBa
03-08-2013, 16:10
Good luck on your new beginning TOPGUN77,great story,hopefully taking the plunge myself in the near future.....

timmylish
03-08-2013, 16:12
TOPGUN 77.
Interesting posting. However might I suggest that you don,t get into the habit of referring to the real inhabitants of our Island as being "some stupid Spaniard".

TOPGUN77
03-08-2013, 16:58
TOPGUN 77.
Interesting posting. However might I suggest that you don,t get into the habit of referring to the real inhabitants of our Island as being "some stupid Spaniard".

No difference being English or German I would still call them stupid .What would you call him some nice spainiard crashed into my car lol

JaBBa
03-08-2013, 17:03
No difference being English or German I would still call them stupid .What would you call him some nice spainiard crashed into my car lol

Have to agree,still negligence whoever they are.....

timmylish
03-08-2013, 21:54
And the answer is the whole point. It mattered not whether he be Spanish or one of you lot. So, in consequence, referring to nationality was totally unnecessary.

princessmonika
04-08-2013, 06:58
should he have said[ one stupid native ? or just one careless driver, i think:)

Tom & Sharon
04-08-2013, 09:36
And the answer is the whole point. It mattered not whether he be Spanish or one of you lot. ?????? So, in consequence, referring to nationality was totally unnecessary.

Which lot?

kiwiphil
04-08-2013, 19:55
Ok, point made about the comment.

Can we please leave this thread on topic or is it going to descend into the normal mindless where the original topic is completely lost?

Tom & Sharon
04-08-2013, 20:05
Yep, back on track por favour.

TheBloke
04-08-2013, 22:09
I think Tom and Sharon used to live in Tenerife but had to return to the U.K.

This thread is to find the bad experiences and therefore justify their decision to go home.

Tom & Sharon
04-08-2013, 22:58
I think Tom and Sharon used to live in Tenerife but had to return to the U.K.

This thread is to find the bad experiences and therefore justify their decision to go home.

Really? Who told you that then?

For your information "love", Tom and I have a home both in Tenerife and the UK. Tom is a senior pipeline engineer within the oil and gas industry, with both a very large salary and large pension. His skills are in great demand within the energy sector in the UK and internationally, and he is in the very fortunate position of being able to choose how often be works and also name his own price. This allows us to spend as much or as little time as we wish in Tenerife. We have more than enough money to fly between our 2 homes as much as we wish, and have a lovely lifestyle between our 2 homes. I spend more time than Tom in Tenerife, because I am a kept woman, and can fly back and to at will, which is what I do.

We drive a brand new Fiesta 1600 sport in Tenerife as our little runaround, and a Mercedes CLK in the UK. So far this year we have holidayed 5 times in Tenerife, had a week in New York, a week in Monaco for the Grand Prix, and spent 2 weeks travelling around France in the aforementioned CLK.

It is true to say that at one time Tom considered retiring to Tenerife to lead the simple life, as he has a "gilt edged" index linked Government pension payable from 50, so we are in the fortunate position of knowing that we will never have any money worries for the rest of our lives. However, he did try it for 3 months and became bored very quickly, so decided to continue to work as and when he wants in the UK. He can earn more before lunchtime on Monday any week, than someone on a crappy Tenerife wage can earn in a fortnight.

One day, he may decide to give working up all together in the UK, but at the moment that's not on the agenda. He is headhunted on a weekly basis, his phone rings constantly, and there are only a handful of men of Tom's calibre running the gas network in the UK.

I did try working in Tenerife as we put our son through the last year of school at Britannia, to improve his grades. I didn't want to be bored and I wanted to make friends. I tried 4 jobs and realised that most jobs are crap in Tenerife. Rubbish wages, appalling conditions and bad employers. I knocked the idea of working straight on the head, as I was in the fortunate position of being able to do so. Most aren't.

During the last few years, I have witnessed around me people arriving in Tenerife to live the dream. People who really have nothing in the UK, and want to swap it for a life in the sun. People who can't afford food or pay their rent. Yet still they stay. Why? For what? People who should just go home and admit there's no money to be earned. And at the same time there are people on here about to make the same mistake, and others encouraging them to do so.

That is the purpose of the thread. To show people thinking of making the same mistake, what has happened to others. The bottom line is from where I observe, there is no money to be earned in Tenerife from "ordinary" jobs.

You will gather from my reaction that you have annoyed me enormously. I would not normally divulge our personal financial position on an open forum. But if you think that we are in some kind of sorry situation, where we would love to live and work in Tenerife, on some garbage wage like say, for example, a jobbing chef can earn, you couldn't be wider from the mark!

TheBloke
04-08-2013, 23:36
Fantastic.......:tiphat:

TOPGUN77
04-08-2013, 23:38
Leaves room to play METALLICA

YOUNG GOLFER
04-08-2013, 23:40
Leaves room to play METALLICA

Leaves room to get a glass of wine lol or the bottle.

timmylish
04-08-2013, 23:40
I have to say that you seem to have denigrated the reputation of a number of Forum members. I would have thought this very unkind indeed, after all some of those people are the ones serving you when you are able to afford a night out in a restaurant, without fear of bankruptcy. I think that you miss the very point which I have maintained for years, namely that the bulk of employment here is in the service industry and as such wages are generally poor. But, this is no different to places like, say, Florida who exist on the holidaymaker.
Again, surprised at the venomous nature of your posting. imho.

YOUNG GOLFER
04-08-2013, 23:42
Defo getting the bottle.......

TheBloke
04-08-2013, 23:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI

timmylish
05-08-2013, 00:00
Can I say BRILLIANT?

Tom & Sharon
05-08-2013, 00:14
LOL at Harry Enfield, but you're missing the point. And remember, I wasn't the one who started on the personal attacks.

The thread was meant to be helpful to people thinking of moving out. Maybe I'll not bother any more. Just let them get on with it and lose all their money and dreams......

We'll be back in Tenerife in 2 weeks to enjoy our home.

Going to bed now.

YG - enjoy your bottle :cheers2:

TOPGUN77
05-08-2013, 01:36
Looks for book How to make friends by bragging

timmylish
05-08-2013, 02:14
LOL at Harry Enfield, but you're missing the point. And remember, I wasn't the one who started on the personal attacks.

The thread was meant to be helpful to people thinking of moving out. Maybe I'll not bother any more. Just let them get on with it and lose all their money and dreams......

We'll be back in Tenerife in 2 weeks to enjoy our home.

Going to bed now.

YG - enjoy your bottle :cheers2:

I very much doubt whether your efforts to minimise the number of new recruits to the idyllic way of life which Tenerife has to offer will have any effect at all. Long live the poor of Tenerife (well the poor Brits anyway).

Angusjim
05-08-2013, 07:31

For your information "love", Tom and I have a home both in Tenerife and the UK. Tom is a senior pipeline engineer within the oil and gas industry, with both a very large salary and large pension. His skills are in great demand within the energy sector in the UK and internationally, and he is in the very fortunate position of being able to choose how often be works and also name his own price. This allows us to spend as much or as little time as we wish in Tenerife. We have more than enough money to fly between our 2 homes as much as we wish, and have a lovely lifestyle between our 2 homes. I spend more time than Tom in Tenerife, because I am a kept woman, and can fly back and to at will, which is what I do.

We drive a brand new Fiesta 1600 sport in Tenerife as our little runaround, and a Mercedes CLK in the UK. So far this year we have holidayed 5 times in Tenerife, had a week in New York, a week in Monaco for the Grand Prix, and spent 2 weeks travelling around France in the aforementioned CLK.

It is true to say that at one time Tom considered retiring to Tenerife to lead the simple life, as he has a "gilt edged" index linked Government pension payable from 50, so we are in the fortunate position of knowing that we will never have any money worries for the rest of our lives. However, he did try it for 3 months and became bored very quickly, so decided to continue to work as and when he wants in the UK. He can earn more before lunchtime on Monday any week, than someone on a crappy Tenerife wage can earn in a fortnight.

One day, he may decide to give working up all together in the UK, but at the moment that's not on the agenda. He is headhunted on a weekly basis, his phone rings constantly, and there are only a handful of men of Tom's calibre running the gas network in the UK.

I did try working in Tenerife as we put our son through the last year of school at Britannia, to improve his grades. I didn't want to be bored and I wanted to make friends. I tried 4 jobs and realised that most jobs are crap in Tenerife. Rubbish wages, appalling conditions and bad employers. I knocked the idea of working straight on the head, as I was in the fortunate position of being able to do so. Most aren't.

During the last few years, I have witnessed around me people arriving in Tenerife to live the dream. People who really have nothing in the UK, and want to swap it for a life in the sun. People who can't afford food or pay their rent. Yet still they stay. Why? For what? People who should just go home and admit there's no money to be earned. And at the same time there are people on here about to make the same mistake, and others encouraging them to do so.

That is the purpose of the thread. To show people thinking of making the same mistake, what has happened to others. The bottom line is from where I observe, there is no money to be earned in Tenerife from "ordinary" jobs.

You will gather from my reaction that you have annoyed me enormously. I would not normally divulge our personal financial position on an open forum. But if you think that we are in some kind of sorry situation, where we would love to live and work in Tenerife, on some garbage wage like say, for example, a jobbing chef can earn, you couldn't be wider from the mark!

Sharon time you started giving a bit of thought to the less fortunate where is Andy meant to eat & drink when you are not at home in Tenerife :whistle::laugh:

Tom & Sharon
05-08-2013, 08:28
Sharon time you started giving a bit of thought to the less fortunate where is Andy meant to eat & drink when you are not at home in Tenerife :whistle::laugh:

Well funny you should mention it Jim, but he's here.............

Angusjim
05-08-2013, 08:40
Make sure he gets a good breakfast it will set him up for the day, maybe make him a pack lunch will save him having to drive all the way back later:laugh:

casabonny
05-08-2013, 13:15
Tom and Sharon, I find your post quite offensive.Its very true that jobs are hard to find but why should people not try to live the dream if they want to?As many have said better to try and fail than to have regrets for the rest of your life.
You seem to be implying that all self employed are doing okay with bucket loads of money , surely you can see that they is not always the case, the good days have gone, for now and it's survival of the fitness.
if you own a bar or restaurant then yes I agree things are very tough , and as profits are down many employers have no option than to pay low wages BUT staff still get tips, that does not seem to have changed much IMHO.
If you are prepared to work hard, and I really mean hard, not just attending the office/bar/ workplace then there are jobs that pay decent ish , for Tenerife wages.Dont forget that wages for staff here have never been very high and even staff in places like Hacienda social etc do not earn particularly high wages but they are not complaining at every opportunity.
The main stumbling block for ex pats is that they go to x country , wonder why they cannot get a job ,just speaking English and not the local language, whatever that might be .Duh!!!!
rant over .

Tom & Sharon
05-08-2013, 14:50
I wasn't trying to offend anyone when I started this thread. People join the forum all the time, say they're leaving the UK to start a new life in Tenerife, and in the same breath ask about jobs. It's always the same format, people saying they're hard workers, quick learners, prepared to do anything etc.

Then they disappear from the forum. They hardly ever come back on to say that they did it, found a job, settled in, how they're finding it etc. That's why I started the thread.

Despite what you say CB, no one has come on to say they've done it. The only people who've come on to say they've settled and are staying, are people with a remote income. One person has come on to give a frank review of their experience in finding a normal job. It doesn't make happy reading.

My opening post was to help people see the experiences of others before they do the same thing.

I reacted strongly to the ridiculous intimation made yesterday that I had started the thread because we are somehow failed ex pats who've run back to the UK penniless, and started the thread to make us feel better. The answering post to that was to clear any misconception by someone who doesn't know our circumstances, and was about as far from the truth as it's possible to get. You may have found it strongly worded, but I was fuming. It wasn't an attacking post, the attack was made. It was defensive.

I'm probably not going to bother starting any more. What's the point? The wages/work situation/conditions/unemployment rates in Tenerife have no bearing on us at all. I started the thread for other people, so if I'm going to be attacked for it I'll just leave you to it. Encourage people to come over and struggle all you want, so carry on..............

casabonny
05-08-2013, 16:01
Ever thought that some may have come over, got jobs and just don't have the time for the forum?.....
Many are struggling everywhere in the world, Tenerife is no different , except perhaps we have all year round sunshine, well for the most part anyway.
if you chose not to start any more threads that's up to you, but when you start something you must be prepared for others to disagree from time to time.If we all viewed the world in the same manner then it would be a very sad place don't you think?
We have been here a long time so don't fit your criteria and have seen many come and go over the years, even in the good times,some with the wrong ideas /mindset or just thought it would be different to the actual reality.
At the end of the day in any country,IMHO, it's the self employed that keep the country ticking over, after all they have the most to loose , usually, so are fighters rather than giving in at the first hurdle.

Tom & Sharon
05-08-2013, 16:24
Ever thought that some may have come over, got jobs and just don't have the time for the forum?.....
Many are struggling everywhere in the world, Tenerife is no different , except perhaps we have all year round sunshine, well for the most part anyway.
if you chose not to start any more threads that's up to you, but when you start something you must be prepared for others to disagree from time to time.If we all viewed the world in the same manner then it would be a very sad place don't you think?
We have been here a long time so don't fit your criteria and have seen many come and go over the years, even in the good times,some with the wrong ideas /mindset or just thought it would be different to the actual reality.
At the end of the day in any country,IMHO, it's the self employed that keep the country ticking over, after all they have the most to loose , usually, so are fighters rather than giving in at the first hurdle.

Yeah whatever!

I didn't start the thread with an opinion though, it was a question. I wasn't asking for some misinformed idiot to jump on and state a fact about us that was totally untrue, just "dissing" the thread for no apparent reason. Totally uncalled for.

Skeggy
05-08-2013, 19:21
Another interesting poster bites the dust, so often the case on here, the serious views and discussion of interesting topics are spoilt by jokers who then divert the thread to a jokey dialogue between mates, Perhaps that's why so many regulars have disappeared. I don't include CB who makes valid points......

warbey
05-08-2013, 20:06

I do hope Your description of Your Assets are more accurate than Your Location.........:devil2:..:D:D..:flatcap:.

Anyone Who has returned Home would probably NOT come on here by Choice It would be Hurtful.

Carpenter hasn't been on for a While, and He's an Exception IMHO.

kathml
05-08-2013, 20:38
For once I must agree with Tom and Sharon like them I'm still waiting on the vast stream of success stories to emerge
so far I've yet to see one
I think T& S are correct with their assessment that unless you have an independent income life is no better than elsewhere in fact the sunshine must at times make life utterly miserable

chocolatesundae
05-08-2013, 23:39
Thank you to Tom & Sharon for starting the thread. Before coming over I was searching for experiences of other people who have come over recently, but without much luck. At the end of the day I needed to be here myself and see for myself what life is really like, but more info from people who have done it before me, would certainly have been welcome.

fonica
06-08-2013, 09:33
Thank you to Tom & Sharon for starting the thread. Before coming over I was searching for experiences of other people who have come over recently, but without much luck. At the end of the day I needed to be here myself and see for myself what life is really like, but more info from people who have done it before me, would certainly have been welcome.
I'ts unlikely that you would have listened.I have replied on many occasions telling people exactly what to expect having lived for some thirty years on the island and very often get nasty replies about my negativity.It is difficult but it never was easy.Imagine how overcrowded his small island would be if everyman and his dog found it easy to make there way here!!!!!

Sundowner
06-08-2013, 14:08
I think I have found the perfect song for this thread!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyC7WnvLT4&feature=player_detailpage

Just remember to delete California from the lyrics and replace with Tenerife :whistle:

This song is based on Albert Hammonds experiences when he was hungry and begging outside a railway station in Spain!!

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2013, 14:45
I think I have found the perfect song for this thread!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyC7WnvLT4&feature=player_detailpage

Just remember to delete California from the lyrics and replace with Tenerife :whistle:

This song is based on Albert Hammonds experiences when he was hungry and begging outside a railway station in Spain!!

Very good ;-)

I've never actually listened to the lyrics properly before, but yes, you're right!

tracy hampshire
06-08-2013, 18:35
been here 4 years moved out in 2009 found a job in a bar in the first 4 months with a contract, worked for 2 years then got finished due to lack of work, have been out of work since, but i live in the north so jobs are even fewer up here, i came over because of a man, not a dream of a better lifestyle, have since got married here, didn t give anything up in the uk got made redundant, had no house, lived with my sick mother who had to go into a care home, if i had stayed i would not have been able to afford the up keep of the house we lived in even if i had still been working as quality control in the factory, we do what we can to make ends meet, pay 200 euros a month rent for a 3 bed old canarian house, 30 euros a month electric, & 17 euros every 6 or 7 weeks for gas, where in the uk could i do that, even with state benifits which for me would be minimum because i have no kids, i am blissfully happy even though we don t live an extravegant lifestyle, there are so many wonderful things on this island that are free, & even though it is a struggle i would not change it, do not regret my move for one minute x

YOUNG GOLFER
06-08-2013, 18:56
been here 4 years moved out in 2009 found a job in a bar in the first 4 months with a contract, worked for 2 years then got finished due to lack of work, have been out of work since, but i live in the north so jobs are even fewer up here, i came over because of a man, not a dream of a better lifestyle, have since got married here, didn t give anything up in the uk got made redundant, had no house, lived with my sick mother who had to go into a care home, if i had stayed i would not have been able to afford the up keep of the house we lived in even if i had still been working as quality control in the factory, we do what we can to make ends meet, pay 200 euros a month rent for a 3 bed old canarian house, 30 euros a month electric, & 17 euros every 6 or 7 weeks for gas, where in the uk could i do that, even with state benifits which for me would be minimum because i have no kids, i am blissfully happy even though we don t live an extravegant lifestyle, there are so many wonderful things on this island that are free, & even though it is a struggle i would not change it, do not regret my move for one minute x

Nice honest post Tracy............. at the end of the day if you are happy then that's all that counts......... I do hope in the future though your luck changes when it comes to getting a job fingers crossed I am sure it will.

tracy hampshire
06-08-2013, 19:23
Nice honest post Tracy............. at the end of the day if you are happy then that's all that counts......... I do hope in the future though your luck changes when it comes to getting a job fingers crossed I am sure it will. thanks YG, i m sure it will in time, just wanted to point out you don t have to live the holiday lifestyle to be happy, many people as me would not be any better off money wise in the uk, i m quite happy to go down to a little beach with a couple of beers a tin of sardines & some bread , had a bocadillo between us in a bar today, first meal out we ve had this year very enjoyable :yum:

YOUNG GOLFER
06-08-2013, 19:55
thanks YG, i m sure it will in time, just wanted to point out you don t have to live the holiday lifestyle to be happy, many people as me would not be any better off money wise in the uk, i m quite happy to go down to a little beach with a couple of beers a tin of sardines & some bread , had a bocadillo between us in a bar today, first meal out we ve had this year very enjoyable :yum:

A couple of sayings that I like thought I would share them with you Tracy.

“The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.”

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

I can tell you this also Tracy............ a lot of people would give their back teeth to be as happy as you are right now.

Once again hope you get a job soon or at the very worst you can always nip down the beach again ;)

tracy hampshire
06-08-2013, 20:12
my old granny used to say you cut your cloth to suit your size, if your not happy with what you ve got then you ll never be happy xxxx

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2013, 21:16
my old granny used to say you cut your cloth to suit your size, if your not happy with what you ve got then you ll never be happy xxxx

My nana used to say that too!

Tracy, your posts are lovely, I'm glad you're so happy. It's not often you hear someone say they are blissfully happy! You really sound like you deserve to be given a job.

Can no-one on here offer Tracy a job?

tracy hampshire
06-08-2013, 21:46
My nana used to say that too!

Tracy, your posts are lovely, I'm glad you're so happy. It's not often you hear someone say they are blissfully happy! You really sound like you deserve to be given a job.

Can no-one on here offer Tracy a job? sounds like our grannies were very much the same , thankyou for your comment sharon xxxxx

Jason 4656
18-08-2013, 17:46
jesus, school holidays?????

justnails
23-08-2013, 20:02
I have to work as I have 3 kids to support 17,8 and 6 I moved here in April this year, I rent a space in a salon to do nails from and although it's slow it's picking up a little, quality of life here is much better but I miss the little things like seeing my parents and I miss my friends as I don't have any here, the kids have settled in well but the eldest can't find a job nor can my partner so all the weight is on my shoulders !

I love the life here I come home and go to the pool you can't beat that but lets see what happens when my kids start school in sept and If the others can get a decent job !! :)

casabonny
23-08-2013, 21:35
I have to work as I have 3 kids to support 17,8 and 6 I moved here in April this year, I rent a space in a salon to do nails from and although it's slow it's picking up a little, quality of life here is much better but I miss the little things like seeing my parents and I miss my friends as I don't have any here, the kids have settled in well but the eldest can't find a job nor can my partner so all the weight is on my shoulders !

I love the life here I come home and go to the pool you can't beat that but lets see what happens when my kids start school in sept and If the others can get a decent job !! :)

Good luck but jobs are scare

golf birdie
23-08-2013, 21:47
but I miss the little things like seeing my parents :)

that is not a little thing, it a huge thing, which so many only realise when its too late.

Pooh
24-08-2013, 23:28
that is not a little thing, it a huge thing, which so many only realise when its too late.

For me, moving here has actually meant seeing my parents more... Before, I saw them a few hours, a couple of times a year. Now, I still see them a couple a times a year, but instead of hours they stay several weeks...
For my wife the difference is even bigger, since her mother spend perhaps 7 or 8 months every year here, between 2 and 4 months each time.
I have no issue with living here; It's comfortable.
But I don't have to depend on the local job market to make a living, since I run my business online, and are doing about the same as before moving here. Without that, I'm quite certain we wouldn't have moved here...

Sia*
21-09-2013, 18:41
Hi everybody! This is a interesting topic.
I am a German girl of 30 years, single, and am currently living in the green North of Tenerife for 11 months now.
I came here by accident as originally, I had a job in Gran Canaria for which I left Germany.
But my German boss was a strange woman and I was sent home before even signing the contract. She offered me to pay my return ticket, but I said: "No, thanks!" and applied like mad via online job search on all islands for hotel reception and office jobs. From a one year stay in Fuerteventura 2010-11 my Spanish was quite okay. After two weeks, I got a call from Tenerife, which I never visited before. I took the ferry for the interview and still remember how impressed I was by the green trees, the flowers, villages, and the rocky streets alongside the Northern coast....and how shocked I was by the traffic in Santa Cruz!
I got the job and moved there. Compared to Fuerteventura there are more cultural activities, much better infrastructure (O my God, they have IKEA there!) and the nature is stunning. Within one hour I am in El Médano for windsurfing which is also very important for me.
So.....I feel blessed. Eventhough my job allows me to visit my family only between May and August-so no Christmas with my dearest and my new born nephew I will probably see when he is already able to walk. My salary is Canarian average-so very low compared to German standards, extra hours are not paid, and with my Master's university degree it is not really the top career to show off with.
I am sure my German relatives think I am a crazy hippie, but tehy do not dare to tell me.....:)
I do not know, where I will be in one year, the limited work contracts leave not much room for planning way ahead. There are these awkward moments when the car broke down for the second time, the washing machine leaks, or I am told that my Spanish is a catastrophe, that I feel like: "Why the h*** am I doing this to me?" But these moments are rare and, yes, I am glad that fate brought me to Tenerife.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hi everybody! This is a interesting topic.
I am a German girl of 30 years, single, and am currently living in the green North of Tenerife for 11 months now.
I came here by accident as originally, I had a job in Gran Canaria for which I left Germany.
But my German boss was a strange woman and I was sent home before even signing the contract. She offered me to pay my return ticket, but I said: "No, thanks!" and applied like mad via online job search on all islands for hotel reception and office jobs. From a one year stay in Fuerteventura 2010-11 my Spanish was quite okay. After two weeks, I got a call from Tenerife, which I never visited before. I took the ferry for the interview and still remember how impressed I was by the green trees, the flowers, villages, and the rocky streets alongside the Northern coast....and how shocked I was by the traffic in Santa Cruz!
I got the job and moved there. Compared to Fuerteventura there are more cultural activities, much better infrastructure (O my God, they have IKEA there!) and the nature is stunning. Within one hour I am in El Médano for windsurfing which is also very important for me.
So.....I feel blessed. Eventhough my job allows me to visit my family only between May and August-so no Christmas with my dearest and my new born nephew I will probably see when he is already able to walk. My salary is Canarian average-so very low compared to German standards, extra hours are not paid, and with my Master's university degree it is not really the top career to show off with.
I am sure my German relatives think I am a crazy hippie, but tehy do not dare to tell me.....:)
I do not know, where I will be in one year, the limited work contracts leave not much room for planning way ahead. There are these awkward moments when the car broke down for the second time, the washing machine leaks, or I am told that my Spanish is a catastrophe, that I feel like: "Why the h*** am I doing this to me?" But these moments are rare and, yes, I am glad that fate brought me to Tenerife.

Chatty Girl
21-09-2013, 19:09
Great post - areally interesting, upbeat and realistic approach to living overseas. Your English is excellent Sia!

JaBBa
22-09-2013, 10:21
Have too agree great post,good luck with your future....

bronte
29-10-2013, 15:51
Hi we are thinking of buying a mobile home on camp Naute - can anyone describe what it is like living there. I am a keen gardener with two cocker spaniel -would this be suitable for me?

Malteser Monkey
29-10-2013, 15:55
Hi we are thinking of buying a mobile home on camp Naute - can anyone describe what it is like living there. I am a keen gardener with two cocker spaniel -would this be suitable for me?
Susief will be able to help you - can't remember who else is there now

Susief
29-10-2013, 20:12

You sound perfect for Camping Nauta. Dogs and cats welcome, although have to be on a lead around camp site.

Here is our advert:
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108863243/mobile-home-static-caravan-in-tenerife-canary-islands.html

Susief
29-10-2013, 20:13
Susief will be able to help you - can't remember who else is there now

Thanks Monkey