PDA

View Full Version : Other Advice to other members on how to stay safe in Tenerife.

YOUNG GOLFER
09-07-2013, 13:18
Thought it would be a good idea to helps others through are own experiences on how to stay safe in Tenerife and avoid pickpockets and other nasty problems we sometimes get here.

KEEPING YOUR PASSPORT SAFE.

Losing a passport can be one of the biggest pains whilst on holiday make sure the first thing you do when arriving in Tenerife make sure you use a safe even if there is a small charge its worth it.
Last year a guy who came on holiday had all his families passports in his shorts when arriving on holiday the first thing he did was jump into the pool for a swim.......... his fault of course but four passports ruined and a load of hassle and cost going upto the north to sort it all out. And another thing don't put you passport in a toaster i have seen what damage this can do.

A passport is very important please keep it safe at all times.

Bhamannette
09-07-2013, 13:26
Keep your keys and phone seperate if you can, that way if you do lose your bag you can still get into your property and call someone.

Malteser Monkey
09-07-2013, 13:27
Thought it would be a good idea to helps others through are own experiences on how to stay safe in Tenerife and avoid pickpockets and other nasty problems we sometimes get here.

KEEPING YOUR PASSPORT SAFE.

Losing a passport can be one of the biggest pains whilst on holiday make sure the first thing you do when arriving in Tenerife make sure you use a safe even if there is a small charge its worth it.
Last year a guy who came on holiday had all his families passports in his shorts when arriving on holiday the first thing he did was jump into the pool for a swim.......... his fault of course but four passports ruined and a load of hassle and cost going upto the north to sort it all out. And another thing don't put you passport in a toaster i have seen what damage this can do.

A passport is very important please keep it safe at all times.

"Our"

Yes a passport is for life not just for holidays:D

YG why would you..... actually how do you put your passort in a toaster (unless under the influence of alcohol)

I don't have a toaster does it apply to the grill too ?

Question - not having been over for a while do you still need a passport to hand when paying with plastic coz that was a pain having to carry it around

I think just carryinng as little as possible in general that way you have nothing to nick. Ladies small cluth like bags rather than massive strppy ones that can easily be snatched...perhaps

this could be a good thread

Jumpinjax
09-07-2013, 13:27
Leave all expensive jewellery , watches etc at home.

Do you really need to bring these items on Holiday with you?

Don't forget, these thieves are like Jackdaws and all that shines are potential paydays for them.

BE SAFE FOLKS

TOTO 99
09-07-2013, 13:30
Stuart, I hope you don't mind me adding to that;

Make photocopies of your passports. If you can scan them and you can pick up your email abroad, email the photo to yourself.

The details are invaluable if they are lost or stolen.

YOUNG GOLFER
09-07-2013, 13:32
Stuart, I hope you don't mind me adding to that;

Make photocopies of your passports. If you can scan them and you can pick up your email abroad, email the photo to yourself.

The details are invaluable if they are lost or stolen.
Please do .........this thread might just save someone a lot of hassle.

Malteser Monkey
09-07-2013, 13:37
:cry: my question was serious - do you still need to carry a passport with plastic ?

(I give up trying to be serious I just get ignored):D

YOUNG GOLFER
09-07-2013, 13:39
Sorry I never have had plastic so don't know the answer MM sure though we have enough nice members who can answer this for you.

primrose
09-07-2013, 13:40
:cry: my question was serious - do you still need to carry a passport with plastic ?

In most places you do need a Passport or a Spanish driving license,and now they have brught in a new law that you have to show your Passport at a Chemist or Doctors.

Jumpinjax
09-07-2013, 13:42

I have used my card in the past whilst in Tenerife (a couple of purchases from Luten)

I didn't take my passport but informed my card issuer that I may use it while on holiday.

When making my purchases , Luten phoned Barclaycard I answerd the required security questions & my spending spree was complete.

Malteser Monkey
09-07-2013, 13:47
In most places you do need a Passport or a Spanish driving license,and now they have brught in a new law that you have to show your Passport at a Chemist or Doctors.

I thought YG said a nice member :D:raspberry2::laugh:

thanks interesting bout the docs and farmacia !

canarybird
09-07-2013, 13:56
You can easily take your passport to a notary public and have it copied and the copy notarized.
Then keep your passport in the safe and use the notarized copy when you have to present a passport for medications or to verify a credit card .

A notarized copy is accepted just like an original document and it can be folded up in your pocket or handbag. It doesn't cost much at the notary either.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Another thing I do when going on a long trip is scan passport, tickets, credit cards (front and back) and take photos of all baggage and handbags, print them all out and carry them with me in a safe place, as well as emailing the scans to myself. Also important is to keep the phone number of where you have to call to cancel a lost or stolen credit card.

Once I had a bag which didn't arrive with me on my plane and it did help that I could provide a colour photograph of the missing piece to the baggage reclaim on my arrival at destination.

casabonny
09-07-2013, 15:06

Do you know when this new law was implemented as I have never been asked for ID at the chemist or doctors ( last visit to chemist last Friday and Doctors late last month).
perhaps this law, if it exists , relates to tourists .....rather than residents. Many tourists buy medication here over the counter that is not available in Uk without prescription.

Malteser Monkey
09-07-2013, 15:11
You can easily take your passport to a notary public and have it copied and the copy notarized.
Then keep your passport in the safe and use the notarized copy when you have to present a passport for medications or to verify a credit card.

A notarized copy is accepted just like an original document and it can be folded up in your pocket or handbag. It doesn't cost much at the notary either.

Another thing I do when going on a long trip is scan passport, tickets, credit cards (front and back) and take photos of all baggage and handbags, print them all out and carry them with me in a safe place, as well as emailing the scans to myself. Also important is to keep the phone number of where you have to call to cancel a lost or stolen credit card.

Once I had a bag which didn't arrive with me on my plane and it did help that I could provide a colour photograph of the missing piece to the baggage reclaim on my arrival at destination.

you would certainly need a holiday after all that CB:D

chifleta
09-07-2013, 15:13
"Our"

YG why would you..... actually how do you put your passort in a toaster (unless under the influence of alcohol)

Question - not having been over for a while do you still need a passport to hand when paying with plastic coz that was a pain having to carry it around

I think just carryinng as little as possible in general that way you have nothing to nick. Ladies small cluth like bags rather than massive strppy ones that can easily be snatched...perhaps

this could be a good thread

I only take my original passport around with me if i'm going to the lovely government offices (INEM or social .... ) where I have to have the original... I know they say you should carry it around with you always, but I don't. I have a plastificated reduced copy of my passport and my NIE A4 sheet too, fit into my purse nicely. I still haven't got round to getting an official stamped "copy" of it done though.

Do you know when this new law was implemented as I have never been asked for ID at the chemist or doctors ( last visit to chemist last Friday and Doctors late last month).
perhaps this law, if it exists , relates to tourists .....rather than residents. Many tourists buy medication here over the counter that is not available in Uk without prescription.

I was wondering the same, but thought maybe it's because our local chemists know us now?! as I've never had to provide passport, just had to show them my medical (seguridad social) card!

Megaloo
09-07-2013, 15:31

Hi I sometimes pay with a debit card in Alcampo and Lidl they ask to see identification but not in Mercadonna

I have just come back from the Chemist went to get my OH prescription but was not asked for passport.?

primrose
09-07-2013, 16:02
The last time I went to Karen Whittakers there was a notice in the window saying there was a new law that you need a Passport to see the Doctor and get medication from the Chemist, while I was waiting to see Karen the people that were coming in were asked for their Passport and a couple that had no Passport were turned away. Sorry that's all I know.The next time I am down there I will look to see if the notice is still there.It wasn't just Tourists that had to show their Passports.

tracy hampshire
09-07-2013, 16:45
i go to the rastros every week,a hot bed of pickpockets, always go dressed in my oldest clothes, my trainers are so old a stall holder offered me a discount on a second hand pair, felt sorry for me, but i never have any problem with pickpockets, in fact they would probably drop me a bob or two :)

marbro8
09-07-2013, 16:58
"Our"

this could be a good threadin reply mm i frequently hide my passport in the toaster if there isn't a safe at hand because i thought that would be the last place they would look for it, but if stuart knows about it then i would think everyone does:laugh:

on the theme of staying safe or in this instance being careful, when you go out spread your money about, we know that if we go to margaritas we will need about €60 for a good night, so i put €10 in 3 pockets and so does my wife,that way if the thieving scum bags do pick your pocket they will only get €10, also i know it is hard for you lady's but try not to carry a bag with you, it is like a red rag to a bull to them, i always carry what we need for the night, keys lipstick, and even woman's things if need be:shy:, my pockets are full and uncomfy sometimes but it's worth it not to be targeted;),also try to walk with other couples or where there are a lot of other holidaymakers, keep away from dimly lit places and wasteland where it is easy for them to hide,don't be fooled by someone you don't know being over friendly and wanting to shake your hand, it is a ploy to pick your pocket, also people asking you to show them where to go on a map, i know it's a lot to take in but like young golfer says all people want is for everyone to be safe, and if we can help by posting helpful tips then all the better;)

Peterrayner
09-07-2013, 17:15
Generally speaking I doubt anyone is at much risk during the day in Los Cris.

However if going out at night I tend to leave everything at home including my wallet and only take enough cash to pay for meal and drink etc.

As from now, after being dipped outside Paradise Park after walking home alone, I will now ALWAYS take a taxi ride.

9PLUS
09-07-2013, 17:33
Don't carry €6000 with you.

x

YOUNG GOLFER
09-07-2013, 17:35
Generally speaking I doubt anyone is at much risk during the day in Los Cris.

However if going out at night I tend to leave everything at home including my wallet and only take enough cash to pay for meal and drink etc.

As from now, after being dipped outside Paradise Park after walking home alone, I will now ALWAYS take a taxi ride.

I guess that could be the answer Peter taxi there and back maybe to save cost have a few drinks at home first.

Peterrayner
09-07-2013, 18:16
I guess that could be the answer Peter taxi there and back maybe to save cost have a few drinks at home first.

I usually walk out during the day and wend my way home before dark, but on the way home got dragged into the Hideaway Pub by the new owner and it would have been rude to refuse, then got waylaid by friends as I was passing O`Jangles and didn't leave till past midnight.

Never mind I though its only about 100M to my complex it will be OK just this once, but was jumped just at the Paradise Park and relieved of a few Euros.

Luckily I had nothing else on me and I had my keys in my hand so no real damage done I suppose.

warbey
09-07-2013, 20:54
When in Tenerife, it's surprising how many spot You as a Tourist.
Shorts, Sandals and Socks are a dead giveaway.

Watch how Others Dress and even play a guessing Game spot the Tourist.

I have carried a Spanish Newspaper at times and even that can cause doubts of Your Status.
Yes I can read and understand a little too, so it's useful.
Try to blend in. W"e don't take valuable Jewelry, We don't have any.. Personal choice...

I am convinced that Residents are not attacked, as They aren't such a good Target, and
They have the time to follow up later. A Holidaymaker doesn't usually..

marbro8
09-07-2013, 21:07
I usually walk out during the day and wend my way home before dark, but on the way home got dragged into the Hideaway Pub by the new owner and it would have been rude to refuse, then got waylaid by friends as I was passing O`Jangles and didn't leave till past midnight.

Never mind I though its only about 100M to my complex it will be OK just this once, but was jumped just at the Paradise Park and relieved of a few Euros.

Luckily I had nothing else on me and I had my keys in my hand so no real damage done I suppose.still a pisser though pete:(

Taylor
09-07-2013, 22:54
Never ever take all your cards out in purses and wallets I see so many Woman and Men rumaging through a fully loaded wallet or purse with every conceivable Bank Card Credit card they own. Carry cash in a hard to get at pocket, take 1 card as a standby, some people grudge to pay the Hotel deposit for a safe....its a small price to pay given the tears that follow should you become a victim!! :nono:

YOUNG GOLFER
10-07-2013, 00:38
Don't get too drunk unless you are going to get into a taxi......these scum will spot you a mile off.

slodgedad
10-07-2013, 00:56
What a great thread, YG.

Let's all try to keep on topic with useful tips and not turn it into a bicker.

I have stickied it for the benefit of all members (especially those who are not to familiar with the island)

Keep the tips coming,

Taylor
10-07-2013, 01:01
Don't get too drunk unless you are going to get into a taxi......these scum will spot you a mile off.

Your dead right Stuart many a hard night falling out St Eugene bar and trying to get down that bloody hill to Las Calaberas :cheeky:

YOUNG GOLFER
10-07-2013, 01:13
What a great thread, YG.

I have stickied it for the benefit of all members (especially those who are not to familiar with the island)

Keep the tips coming,

Thanks mate I think it's very important that anyone coming here on holiday or living in Tenerife should be given sound advice on how to stay safe. I hate crime and I wish everyone a safe holiday ......I don't like to read threads on I or someone I know or someone I met in the police station that has been robbed...... its not good for the island.... like everywhere in the world right now its bound to be worse due to the crisis...... I would love to see members on here give as much time to help others by giving sound advice on how it could help them to stay safe and prevent it happening to others. Members might say people need to know there is crime in certain areas right now but at the same time people need to know its a safe island as long as you use common sense and don't go to these areas at night.

celine
10-07-2013, 08:34
hi peter.
on our last visit we looked at a flat in paradise park as we were waiting outside for the agent to arrive I took a wander around the corner ..a man said something to me and I said hi...I walked back around the corner with him following me ..he seen my husband so walked back
to this day I don't know if I was going to get robbed or "chatted up "
(lol)
(as I found out later this was a place to" meet people")
I am sorry that you got robbed and I hope the individual has no luck on this earth
why are these large apartment blocks not providing security? ..you pay enough each month

Balcony
10-07-2013, 08:36
Tenerife is such a pretty place, sunshine all day...what could go wrong! (Famous last words). So many people fail to pack a big box of Common Sense when they good on holiday, imagining that everyone there is out to give them a good time. They ain't!

We've never had the problem of losing a passport on Tenerife, but I just imagine it's a nightmare if you do! Make copies of important documents - leave one set at home with a trusted friend, or family member. Take another copy with you and keep separately to originals.

The one thing you should do is store your documents - passport, ticketing information, credit cards, insurance details - in a safe when in Tenerife. Don't carry more than essentials when you are out for the day. Guys - no bulging wallets in the back pocket. Ladies - leave the fussy handbags at home. Make a note of your flight booking reference on your mobile. However, you often don't need the no. as the airlines tend to ID you from your passport.

You will carry keys with you - keep those in a zipped pocket if you can, but trying tieing some string to the key ring and the other end of the string to your belt, or belt-loop.

When you stop for lunch etc and have been carry bags etc, make sure when you're seated that you can see and touch those items. Don't hang on the back of your chair as its an invitation for someone to make off with it.

When queueing for a bus, or in the market where its crowded keep wallets/money with one hand on it, or in front pockets. These are favourite places for the old nudge trick to distract you whilst someone else lifts your goods. Ladies, don't walk around with your bag open!

One of the problems in Tenerife is booze and how often have you seen people legless (even having kids with them)? PAAF leaves you so vulnerable, both to falls and those who want to help themselves to your stuff, so at the very least drink closer to home, or otherwise use a cab to get back, especially during night hours.

Staying safe is also about your physical wellbeing. Don't go swimming when you've had a few drinks. Certainly don't drink and drive and don't speed - ignore the local nutters who see this as a sport! Don't go walking on craggy rocks, especially in bare feet. It's so easy to turn an ankle, or slip and break something - when you're out count the numbers with casts on their arms and ankles! When you're out walking in the towns be wary of where you're walking - Spanish builders seem to manage to include level changes and steps just where you don't expect them.

Malteser Monkey
10-07-2013, 08:46
in reply mm i frequently hide my passport in the toaster if there isn't a safe at hand because i thought that would be the last place they would look for it, but if stuart knows about it then i would think everyone does:laugh:

Well they certainly do now !:D

i always carry what we need for the night, keys lipstick, and even woman's things if need be:shy:,

What shade are you wearing this month ? you are such a gent - they would have a shock if you were pick pocketed:D

Is that a Tampon in your pocket or are you just.........you know the rest:D

What a great thread, YG.

Keep the tips coming,

Absolutely Slodgie....................tips ? no one said we had to pay for this advice

macdonald5
10-07-2013, 08:52

Malteser Monkey MaltyM the only time I need passport with plastic is first visit to Mercadona to arrange home delivery of shopping
I use Credit card for almost all meals out etc and never carry our passports

anto3
10-07-2013, 12:18
I always put the handle of my bag under the leg of the chair in the café .Hard to rob me and the bag and the chair

Tenerife Sun
10-07-2013, 12:22
According to the bank when paying by card you need photo ID if signing for your purchase but it is not necessary if you are putting in your PIN number.

Leam_Lin
10-07-2013, 12:24
I always put the handle of my bag under the leg of the chair in the café .Hard to rob me and the bag and the chair

If the thieves really wanted your bag they would have a stanley knife & cut the straps, a bit extreme though.

My bag if any, is over my body with the purse part at the front, even whilst eating & drinking.

karinagal
10-07-2013, 13:19
If the thieves really wanted your bag they would have a stanley knife & cut the straps, a bit extreme though.

My bag if any, is over my body with the purse part at the front, even whilst eating & drinking.

I hook my leg through the strap of my bag - it's made of anti-slash material which cannot be easily cut....

canarybird
10-07-2013, 13:47
My bag strap has an anti-slash steel cable inside and a strap lock for attaching to a chair. Even takes me a while to get it off again when I want to leave.:D

Malteser Monkey
10-07-2013, 13:47
I hook my leg through the strap of my bag - it's made of anti-slash material which cannot be easily cut....

your leg or the strap ?:D

(it's all this heat making go silly:whistle:)

karinagal
10-07-2013, 13:49
your leg or the strap ?:D

(it's all this heat making go silly:whistle:)

Little from column A..... :p

YOUNG GOLFER
10-07-2013, 18:35
GOING TO THE BEACH

Another place where you will might find a few opportunist hanging around is at the beach.

Remember if you are going alone to the beach then it's best not to take your phone, iPad or purse or any valuables if you fancy a dip in the sea or are likely to fall asleep. Take only enough money for a sunbed if you want one, and drink or a bite to eat so if by chance anything did happen then you would not feel so bad.
If going to the beach with someone else then by all means take your phone but make sure there is always someone with your belongings should you decide to go for a dip.
Not just the beach but around the pool too.

When working as a entertainer on a holiday complex I used to see the odd strange guy walking around the pool (who always stood out by the way) and used to follow him until he seen me which made him feel uncomfortable then he would walk out the way he came. Only last month there was a dodgy guy checking all our bags out at the tennis club I spotted him a mile away and made it my business to tell everyone to keep a eye on him. With so many people looking at him he felt awkward and had no choice but to clear off. You don't have to approach these people but try to make them aware that you know what they are up to and you have your eye on them.
If you are out and about and you might see someone looking a little shifty most of us have good phones with cameras......make it look like you are taking a photo of someone or something from a distance of course and try to get them in the picture I did it the other day and when you zoom in you can see their face clear as crystal. You never know it could come in handy if the Police where looking for that person.

By the way my niece and her friends went home this afternoon they had a great time they went down town 3 times went to the beach a few times and had no problems at all...........they all stayed together at all times shared taxis there and back from the clubs. This make me feel happy knowing that my little talking too might of just of helped them have a enjoyable holiday.

Thanks to the other members on here for sharing their advice on helping others to stay safe in Tenerife (keep them coming) you never know it might just help someone.

warbey
10-07-2013, 20:21
On that note, Some Years ago, We were at Our Favourite Spot, which is

nice for sunbathing and has Cafes and \Shops too.

A Shopkeeper We knew slightly as Customers, pointed out two Men.

One would aggravate People Sunbathing, shifting around during the Argument so His Accomplice

could then pinch Bags etc. etc.

We told most of the Sunbathers to watch out for Them, and after some Men got together They disappeared,

empty Handed.

So be Friendly to P.R's and Decent Shopkeepers. It worked for Us.

You will meet some very nice People in Tenerife, and not all are English....

Tshirt
10-07-2013, 20:39
Be extra vigilant between getting off the plane and arriving at your accommodation. During this time you have all your money, cards, passports, phones and other valuables on your person or in your hand luggage. The scumbags that robbed me on the 111 bus from TFS knew that.

Balcony
11-07-2013, 11:49
One thing you can try before going to the beach. Try the surf shops (either at home before you come, or in Tenerife) - they often small small, waterproof purses/wallets that can be snapped around your wrist or ankle and let you keep a few things dry and safe.

Remember too - don't bury your valuables in the sand and expect to retrieve it on your return.

GOING TO THE BEACH
Remember if you are going alone to the beach then it's best not to take your phone, iPad or purse or any valuables if you fancy a dip in the sea or are likely to fall asleep. Take only enough money for a sunbed if you want one, and drink or a bite to eat so if by chance anything did happen then you would not feel so bad.

lancslad
11-07-2013, 19:57
Don't look like a victim. Walk erect, with a strong gaze, intentional movements and a sense of being aware of your surroundings. Attackers are looking for someone over whom they can feel powerful, someone they can surprise or, at the least, someone who doesn't look as if they'll put up a fight.

woolli
11-07-2013, 20:51
GOING TO THE BEACH

Another place where you will might find a few opportunist hanging around is at the beach.

If going to the beach with someone else then by all means take your phone but make sure there is always someone with your belongings should you decide to go for a dip.

When working as a entertainer on a holiday complex I used to see the odd strange guy walking around the pool (who always stood out by the way) and used to follow him until he seen me which made him feel uncomfortable then he would walk out the way he came. Only last month there was a dodgy guy checking all our bags out at the tennis club I spotted him a mile away and made it my business to tell everyone to keep a eye on him. With so many people looking at him he felt awkward and had no choice but to clear off. You don't have to approach these people but try to make them aware that you know what they are up to and you have your eye on them.
If you are out and about and you might see someone looking a little shifty most of us have good phones with cameras......make it look like you are taking a photo of someone or something from a distance of course and try to get them in the picture I did it the other day and when you zoom in you can see their face clear as crystal. You never know it could come in handy if the Police where looking for that person.

By the way my niece and her friends went home this afternoon they had a great time they went down town 3 times went to the beach a few times and had no problems at all...........they all stayed together at all times shared taxis there and back from the clubs. This make me feel happy knowing that my little talking too might of just of helped them have a enjoyable holiday.

Thanks to the other members on here for sharing their advice on helping others to stay safe in Tenerife (keep them coming) you never know it might just help someone.
Stuart, entertainer come estate agent! Welcome to Tenerife!

GOING TO THE BEACH

GOING TO THE BEACH

Good advise Stuart. What I cant get, entertainer to estate agent? Well done I say! How does that happen?

Leam_Lin
11-07-2013, 21:12
Opportunity Knocks.......:wow:

woolli
11-07-2013, 21:18
I know Stuart quite well, tongue in cheek, but he will know exactly what I mean!

YOUNG GOLFER
12-07-2013, 00:07

Good advise Stuart. What I cant get, entertainer to estate agent? Well done I say! How does that happen?

Well kiddies entertainer then a flight shop for many years now a estate agents....well as a young man of 21 being a entertainer was a great experience for a single young man.....did that job around 9yrs.....then a travel agent for 8 or 9 yrs then a estate agent for a few yrs now. I guess from all my jobs it was time to move on ............more so with the flights as the Internet was taking over. So I and my wife thought of diversifying and went down the road of estate agency. When I was young I always wanted to work for myself......... Always wanted to run my own bar but at the same time very happy with what we are doing at the moment......but the bar dream is still there in the back of my mind woollie lol so that's enough about me.

As this thread is about giving advice to advice on how to stay safe.

Sorry for going off topic mods please feel free to deleat this if you see fit in order to keep it on topic.

Come on mate you have been here a while any advice to newcomers to the island.

I know Stuart quite well, tongue in cheek, but he will know exactly what I mean!

Sorry not this time ..... Don't follow.

woolli
12-07-2013, 08:19
One thing I have learned from our misfortune, is, if you are walking as a couple past wasteland, make sure the better half is furthest away from the wasteland, with the male being next to it. It may sound trivial but in our case if it would have been me nearest the wasteland, I doubt the scumbag would have passed me to get to my wifes bag.

anto3
12-07-2013, 12:57
When I have friends over I go to the Claddagh and walk the beach at 2in the morning to my house but I put everything worth anything in my pockets bra and shoes. Still a few people around working setting up for the next day. I would not walk alone only with friends. Never walk day or night with more then 10 euro in y bag. Stuff my money everywhere on my body.

Angusjim
12-07-2013, 13:49
When I have friends over I go to the Claddagh and walk the beach at 2in the morning to my house but I put everything worth anything in my pockets bra and shoes. Still a few people around working setting up for the next day. I would not walk alone only with friends. Never walk day or night with more then 10 euro in y bag. Stuff my money everywhere on my body.

Interesting post from a member noted as gender being male:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
12-07-2013, 13:52
Interesting post from a member noted as gender being male:whistle:

You never heard of Moobs ?:wow:

Angusjim
12-07-2013, 13:54

Unfortunately yes :ashamed:

marbro8
12-07-2013, 23:15
next time i pass that bit of wasteland from margaritas to el mirador on our way back i am going to shout at the top of my voice in romanian (after translating it off tinternet) "f off you thievin scumbags i have a gun":laugh:

junglejim
13-07-2013, 12:13

Dublin Ladyboy !

warbey
13-07-2013, 20:54
Dublin Ladyboy !

Contortionist as well.!

Lissalyon
03-10-2013, 20:43
Always felt it was such a safe place till reading this.

I carry all my money on me. That's a thousand euro to start now down to 700.

We don't have a safe in apartment. What do you do?

TOTO 99
03-10-2013, 20:46

Not announce to the whole world that you carry all that cash about..that would be a good place to start.

Lissalyon
03-10-2013, 20:57
Well if you've worked out who I am you're very welcome to help yourself!

Seriously though, aren't you better carrying your cash than leaving it in an unlocked place in the apartment for someone in house to help themselves.

TOTO 99
03-10-2013, 21:02
Well if you've worked out who I am you're very welcome to help yourself!

Seriously though, aren't you better carrying your cash than leaving it in an unlocked place in the apartment for someone in house to help themselves.

Well assuming you're apartment has locks on the doors then that would probably be the best place for it. But if you wish to walk the streets with it then that's up to you.

You can spread it about a bit if you're concerned that you're going to be broken into but to be honest, the chances are slim.

Addick
03-10-2013, 21:09

We always take a Travelsafe in our luggage that attaches to something in the apartment - preferably the gas pipe. Big enough to keep passports, money and camera etc in when you're not about. Costs about £40 but worth it when you think of how much cash you can all have in the room.

el-tel
08-10-2013, 10:15
Dont leave your drink unattended, it could get spiked and if they see you staggering out alone they will follow you and rob you. Also dont go drinking alone.

If there is a strong tide (especially in the north) and you find yourself getting sucked out to sea, dont panic or try to swim against the pull of the rip tide, swim parallel to the beach and once you are out of the rip tide you can swim to shore with ease.

Be carful on the roads, dont expect drivers to do the right thing. Roundabouts are a prime example of this, some people think its ok to go all the way round a roundabout in the outside lane.

TOPGUN77
08-10-2013, 17:44
I only take out how much money we need on a night out,the rest I leave under the floor boards lol

warbey
08-10-2013, 20:35

Make sure You are all Insured........................it CAN Happen to YOU.!....

Some time ago, a Couple arrived at Their Accomodation and locked up Their Money ,Passports etc.

an Hour later the lot had gone, Safe aas well, if I remember correctly..

You should decide what chances You are prepares to take, and This Includes the Security of

Your Accomodation itself. Some are more suspect than Others.

Carry Money anywhere except Pockets or Wallet. In Your Hat/Cap or Sock for instance.

Have They a Safe in the Entrance Hall.?

A very good tip I read a Year or two ago, was to Copy Passports by scanning and

keep the results in a File on Your P.C. You don't have to carry Papers about and in Emergencies

They are accessible from a P.C.

YOUNG GOLFER
09-11-2013, 00:24
Very interesting post - Might be old new, but it was new to me. Thank you very much.
Your welcome.
That's the idea of the thread to give advice so others don't have the same bad experiences.

Very interesting post - Might be old new, but it was new to me. Thank you very much.
Your welcome.
That's the idea of the thread to give advice so others don't have the same bad experiences.

Señor Quattro
15-11-2013, 20:43
Very good advice. Almost all street crime (I'm including bars/restaurants/beach etc) involves deception. It's either distraction - like an accomplice's nudge before a pickpocket - or a direct attack. A direct attack (I've only ever seen this once in Tenerife BTW) almost always follows an 'interview'. An 'interview' is the attacker's way to assess vulnerability and the probability of a successful attack. NO attacker wants trouble or a fight or to draw attention to themselves. So the right response is to very determinedly send out the right signals - strong, confident and aware. What is an interview? Typically it's something like a question about the time. Have your head screwed on and brain engaged. Ask yourself if that a legitimate question. Who's asking? Who needs to know the time in Tenerife anyway!!! :spin: Think about your body language. Watch their body language. Watch your personal space. If you're a female, on your own, or in any way feel threatened make noise. Create distance. Act mad (I mean insane). You will quickly be left alone - no thief needs that attention. Don't sleepwalk into a bad situation - try to be alert to bad signals and react immediately. If it looks like a duck it's a duck. If a situation looks bad, it's bad. Cross the road. Run. Create distance. Create a fuss.

It's not that bad in Tenerife though!

LUCKY
21-11-2013, 13:33
I was at los cris the other day, and a dodgy looking person asked me for a light for his cig, I said no and walked on .
as in previous post dont let anyone invade your space, Be careful in a queue espescialy whilst boarding a bus keep your wits about you:flatcap::feret::feret:

Tshirt
11-01-2014, 21:30
Last Monday we used the lift that connects CC Tera Nova to La Pinta beach and Puerto Colon. We got in the lift at ground level wanting to go up to the 2nd floor. There was a young couple already in the lift and they seemed reluctant to make room for us, I pushed past them to rear of the lift and the young woman then crowded me such that she was stood on my toes, ( I thought at the time she must be pleased to see me ;) ). When we reached the 2nd floor they wouldn't move to let us out before the doors closed and we went up to the 4th floor, the couple stayed in lift but a woman got in. Back down to 2nd and we managed to push past them to get out. As soon as I stepped out of the lift I realised my wallet had gone. I shouted and started pressing the call button like mad. I looked over the balcony expecting to see them doing a runner, but the woman who had got in shouted up to me that the young couple had got my wallet, then the lift doors opened and my wallet was handed back to me intact. Very strange. I'm sure they were riding the lift up and down waiting for the opportunity to pickpocket but had been caught in the act by the woman. Some time later we saw them sat on a bench near the lift as if waiting for another victim, or am I being paranoid.

Just Beware

warbey
11-01-2014, 22:38
Lucky escape ?

i I was reading about Robbers and how to foil them.

A good idea, (I think) was to carry a Dummy Wallet with You.,
so They pinch the wrong one...

I like it...........................

Tshirt
11-01-2014, 23:21
Lucky escape ?

I've just bought a wallet with a chain attached that clips onto your belt loops, and in the other pocket I shall put a loaded mouse trap :D

YOUNG GOLFER
12-01-2014, 00:48
I still swear by putting a note in each pocket.........if you are going to get dipped then the chances are you will not lose all your cash.
Please always use a safe in the apartment or hotel might cost a little extra but it's better to be safe than sorry.

rob897
12-01-2014, 02:47

A very good tip I read a Year or two ago, was to Copy Passports by scanning and

keep the results in a File on Your P.C. You don't have to carry Papers about and in Emergencies

They are accessible from a P.C.

In addition,You could also store them in a secure cloud service like skydrive or dropbox that way they are accessible from any PC (with Access to internet)

Ledgy
05-02-2014, 15:03
Has anyone had dealings with or are aware of a company in Tenerife dealing with Timeshare issues, trading as Solutions or Simple Solutions ?

Also anyone had dealings with Las Vistas Marketing based in La Pinta Beach Club in Playas de las Americas ?
:thanx:

canarybird
13-02-2014, 14:33
Lucky escape ?

The idea of the dummy wallet was in case you were approached by someone demanding your wallet or purse (for women especially), was to take out the dummy wallet, throw it in the direction of the assailant as far as you can, saying "there it is" or something like that, and then you running in the opposite direction.
You have a chance perhaps to then get away from him while he goes after your dummy wallet.

Of course the same should work for a pickpocket, as he would theoretically leave you alone once he has picked your dummy wallet.

FerretFodder
07-03-2014, 14:43
The idea of the dummy wallet was in case you were approached by someone demanding your wallet or purse (for women especially), was to take out the dummy wallet, throw it in the direction of the assailant as far as you can, saying "there it is" or something like that, and then you running in the opposite direction.
You have a chance perhaps to then get away from him while he goes after your dummy wallet.

Of course the same should work for a pickpocket, as he would theoretically leave you alone once he has picked your dummy wallet.

Since this year we will be venturing into the wild and wicked world of Los Cristianos, rather than staying exclusively in an isolated resort, I will be taking several ferrets. When approached by a mugger, I will throw a ferret in their direction. While they're dealing with that, I will leg it in the opposite direction.

:feret:

But seriously: thanks for all the hints and tips - there are some great pieces of advice here.

junglejim
07-03-2014, 20:33
Don´t abuse the Ferrets , just carry a snooker ball in a sock and swing hard - works every time !

CharlesBronson.com

marbro8
07-03-2014, 20:40
I still swear by putting a note in each pocket.........if you are going to get dipped then the chances are you will not lose all your cash.
Please always use a safe in the apartment or hotel might cost a little extra but it's better to be safe than sorry. since being dipped myself that is the tactic i use, the reason it came to me was because when i got dipped he took €20 from my right pocket but if he had got the other i would have lost £100, when we go out we split about €60 between our 4-6 pockets (you can have a good night out in tenerife for €60 or less) so that if they do get you they only get away with €10 max

Medman
07-03-2014, 21:36
since being dipped myself that is the tactic i use, the reason it came to me was because when i got dipped he took €20 from my right pocket but if he had got the other i would have lost £100, when we go out we split about €60 between our 4-6 pockets (you can have a good night out in tenerife for €60 or less) so that if they do get you they only get away with €10 max

Got it now; so it's euros in the right pocket and pounds in the left ?

marbro8
07-03-2014, 21:43
Got it now; so it's euros in the right pocket and pounds in the left ?:laugh: i didn't know at the time but yes:laugh:

Medman
07-03-2014, 22:10
:laugh: i didn't know at the time but yes:laugh:

It's good to be bi-currency ... :D

celine
07-03-2014, 22:45
just a small post to tell you about our last visit to tenerife in feb...
at the sunday cristianos market we walked past a family handing over a dipper to two police on bikes
she was a very good looking very smart mediterainian lady
the police were looking at her passport..i dont know what happened to her
later on in the day my daughter seen a man on the road outside our apartment approach a young lady with her mother and put his arms around the girl flirting with her as he took something out of her bag all the time the mother was laughing with no idea as to what he was up to
she called me and we scanned the road. then he shot over the road and tried forcefully getting into a mans pocket whilst his friend was oblivious by being on the phone..he was saying "leave me alone"..so i shouted "oi" realy loud. not a reaction that i would have thought i would have done but it just came out......(my eldest daughter heard me at the top of avenue londres..lol.) and he run off like the piece of scum he was..it was about 3/4 in the afternoon in full daylight..i got my husband and we left our apartment and went up and down the road looking for him but by then he had probably crawled beneath a rock where he,d come from
he was tall medeterainian looking (well tanned) black hair about 6ft and about 45to50 years old
we spoke to neighbours and were told that there are 2 of them at it all the time one tall guy and one short
in england surely this would not be tolerated and a photofit could be put up until they are caught?
my husband works with several hundred people and has realy "bigged up" the island..so far he has had 3 close friends visit one family to golf de sur and two guys came out to las americas..
one decided he would like to buy a place.....
my husband met these friends in feb ..they had a meal then they walked my husband to the taxi rank then some guy " bumped" into one of them 50ft from thier apartment and he was pickpocketed
if the police cant clear up this crime then all potential investors will not come

we came to the island as we were recomended by one of my husbands friends and have continued to praise the island but after personaly being aware of 4 pickpocketing insindents over 2 days how much is realy going on...?
why do these elderly residents whom are aware of who these guys are having to accept it as they are not physicaly or mentaly able to do anything to repremand them ..this will be us in a few years

FerretFodder
08-03-2014, 14:05
Don´t abuse the Ferrets , just carry a snooker ball in a sock and swing hard - works every time !

CharlesBronson.com

Oh, it's not abuse of the ferrets, they love to meet new people and interact with them. :wink2:

Didn't Charles Bronson fill his sock with small change (at least the first time)?

junglejim
08-03-2014, 16:24
Oh, it's not abuse of the ferrets, they love to meet new people and interact with them. :wink2:

Didn't Charles Bronson fill his sock with small change (at least the first time)?
Yes,but trust me a snooker ball is more effective due to its density!

FerretFodder
08-03-2014, 17:01
And has the advantage of being more economical and eco-friendly, assuming your sock can cope with the (repeat) action. :)

Tshirt
08-03-2014, 17:05

The red ball is best.

FerretFodder
08-03-2014, 17:35
The red ball is best.
Surely in this day and age you should be going green? :D

Medman
08-03-2014, 18:02
Surely in this day and age you should be going green? :D

Naw, the red ball doesn't show the blood ! .. :devil2:

imablue
08-03-2014, 20:22
7 points for a black ball..that,s me winning ...:whistle:

LUCKY
08-03-2014, 22:28
Q: What's the difference between a pick pocket and a peeping Tom?

A: A pick pocket snatches watches.

FerretFodder
09-03-2014, 13:32
7 points for a black ball..that,s me winning ...:whistle:
Ah, that one does it: no-one wants to be black balled!

warbey
09-03-2014, 22:10
We were approached a few days ago by Three Women with the Proverbial Flowers.

This was just a bit down from the Columbus.

All My Rugby came in handy, it was a Fend Off, Yell gerraway and leg it......

worked for Me. NOT FOR Her though......

marbro8
09-03-2014, 22:36
We were approached a few days ago by Three Women with the Proverbial Flowers.

This was just a bit down from the Columbus.

All My Rugby came in handy, it was a Fend Off, Yell gerraway and leg it......

worked for Me. NOT FOR Her though......they got us last time we were over with pieces of cotton they had tied together like bracelets, they are all lovely while tying it on your wrist but start cursing and spitting if you don't give them money:mad:

Lissalyon
10-03-2014, 00:56
The police really need to clean the area up big style. It's becoming a nightmare and I foresee it ruining the island if they don't clamp down on it all.

We were coming down one of the pasajes and the women braiders shouted to me. Hello! Oi you. Come here!

Not a chance in hell love! Don't care what nationality you are, I don't respond to anyone speaking to me like that.

The other day I felt like taking a big stick to a braider and the mother of a child .the child was crying and screaming in pain at what was being done to it. The braider was practically sat on her.

They all want chasing.

Just horrible to witness. It's really ruining the islands reputation.

marbro8
10-03-2014, 18:02
The police really need to clean the area up big style. It's becoming a nightmare and I foresee it ruining the island if they don't clamp down on it all.

We were coming down one of the pasajes and the women braiders shouted to me. Hello! Oi you. Come here!

Not a chance in hell love! Don't care what nationality you are, I don't respond to anyone speaking to me like that.

The other day I felt like taking a big stick to a braider and the mother of a child .the child was crying and screaming in pain at what was being done to it. The braider was practically sat on her.

They all want chasing.

Just horrible to witness. It's really ruining the islands reputation.they are part of the infrastructure now so they will be there as long as the holiday makers are there:(, and every time i go i seem to meet even more young looky looky men so the problem is getting worse not better:(

Lissalyon
10-03-2014, 22:13
I agree. I think it's getting worse in just the two and a half years I've been coming here.

If its illegal and the police aren't doing anything to stop it, what happens if it starts getting really nasty . Ie they start getting really nasty.

Shudders to think!

joshua21
21-03-2014, 06:38
Sharing your ideas are really helpful for us. Thanks for the effort...

9PLUS
21-03-2014, 08:59
I agree. I think it's getting worse in just the two and a half years I've been coming here.

If its illegal and the police aren't doing anything to stop it, what happens if it starts getting really nasty . Ie they start getting really nasty.

Shudders to think!

The Police can only do what is within the Law. The Police are constantly pulling these people over. I see it everyday.

bonitatime
21-03-2014, 21:47
The Police can only do what is within the Law. The Police are constantly pulling these people over. I see it everyday.

It must be very frustrating
No sooner than they are arrested they have to be let go and off they go again

marbro8
21-03-2014, 23:03
Q: What's the difference between a pick pocket and a peeping Tom?

A: A pick pocket snatches watches.i think that you should post that on the joke thread, because i was actually crying when i read that lucky and i also think that it needs more recognition:lol:

essexeddie
24-04-2014, 19:05

Same as the UK.

warbey
24-04-2014, 19:20

Ten arrests then deported

Simples......

Too many bleeding Hearts around.??

tfs1
24-04-2014, 19:58
i think that you should post that on the joke thread, because i was actually crying when i read that lucky and i also think that it needs more recognition

Maybe not as good but I liked.....................

A wife says to her husband, "You're always pushing me around and talking behind my back." He says, "What do you expect? You're in a wheel chair."

LUCKY
25-04-2014, 21:39
Keep your passport safe.:flatcap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWqZ85Lktfc

Señor Quattro
25-04-2014, 22:23
¡Hola! What a coincidence!!!

I contributed to this thread months ago and then forgot all about it. And didn't visit the forum for months. And today whilst having a little personal reminisce about Tenerife (we've been back three times since) I had a little scoot around looking at comments. And then I get an email later in the same day saying that someone has responded to the topic.

We're back in Tenerife very soon and we're still just as committed to living here. One day I'll be an active member!!!

Stay safe everyone.

Al

bobmcgregor
19-06-2014, 22:57
I got dipped in San eugenio. Obviously lost the cash but the thieves threw my wallet with cards, NIE, driving licence etc in a rubbish bi. I was lucky - someone saw it on top of the rubbish and contacted me by facebook and returned my documents to me. Thanks again Good Samaritan

essexeddie
18-09-2014, 20:34
You was very lucky there. Shame about cash but the documents are a big loss.

blondie
19-09-2014, 16:05
You was very lucky there. Shame about cash but the documents are a big loss.

We were at the desk of the Primecomfort Calafornia Apts about 3 wks ago. We were in the process of checking in , the receptionist asked us both to sign to the effect that our passports had been returned to us. In the short space of time it takes to write your name some thieving scum had stolen our case. My OH ran out side but there was no one to be seen. There is a CCTV camera in the reception but after days requesting them to look at it , there was excuse after excuse. The management would not even speak to us .. I have had dealings with Police before in Tenerife after a robbery so knew there was no point reporting it. So now we wonder if it is time to call it a day as we now realise it is impossible to be vigilant every minute of every day , you are being watched constantly by these scum just waiting for the opportunity.

martincrabb99
19-09-2014, 16:58
We were at the desk of the Primecomfort Calafornia Apts about 3 wks ago. We were in the process of checking in , the receptionist asked us both to sign to the effect that our passports had been returned to us. In the short space of time it takes to write your name some thieving scum had stolen our case. My OH ran out side but there was no one to be seen. There is a CCTV camera in the reception but after days requesting them to look at it , there was excuse after excuse. The management would not even speak to us .. I have had dealings with Police before in Tenerife after a robbery so knew there was no point reporting it. So now we wonder if it is time to call it a day as we now realise it is impossible to be vigilant every minute of every day , you are being watched constantly by these scum just waiting for the opportunity.

Never let sub-human scum stop you carrying on with your normal activities. I agree it is a shame that these excuses for humans exist but don't let them stop you living your life to the full[emoji6]

essexeddie
19-09-2014, 17:57
I agree with Martin, if you give in then they have won. Just be MORE extra careful

warbey
19-09-2014, 19:45

sorry about You loss and Troubles but when checking in is a surprise..

I can't help but wonder what the Receptionist saw, as They would be looking that way.....?

Something a bit Off there...??

blondie
19-09-2014, 21:15
Once we had a few days to gather our ourselves that was our thought as well. Funnily enough we had a nice taxi driver on way back to the airport , no not Spanish, who was able to tell us how it was done. Its obviously another ploy used against us stupid unsuspecting tourists, we will never match them , we dont have their evil , unscrupulous way about us.

marbro8
19-09-2014, 21:51
Once we had a few days to gather our ourselves that was our thought as well. Funnily enough we had a nice taxi driver on way back to the airport , no not Spanish, who was able to tell us how it was done. Its obviously another ploy used against us stupid unsuspecting tourists, we will never match them , we dont have their evil , unscrupulous way about us.i remember feeling the same way as you blondie when i got dipped a few years ago:(,you tend to take it personal as if they have just targeted you and nobody else,but the sad fact is you will be one in hundreds of holidaymakers that they will target over the year,and you soon start to plan for your next holiday in tenerife because the good things far outweigh the bad,but next time you will not let your belongings out of your sight until they are safe in your room,just like me now when we go out i put small amounts of money in every pocket so that if the thieving scumbags do pick my pocket then they will only get at most €10:wink2:

blondie
19-09-2014, 22:11
i remember feeling the same way as you blondie when i got dipped a few years ago:(,you tend to take it personal as if they have just targeted you and nobody else,but the sad fact is you will be one in hundreds of holidaymakers that they will target over the year,and you soon start to plan for your next holiday in tenerife because the good things far outweigh the bad,but next time you will not let your belongings out of your sight until they are safe in your room,just like me now when we go out i put small amounts of money in every pocket so that if the thieving scumbags do pick my pocket then they will only get at most €10:wink2:

What you have said is so true. The last time my purse was taken and then my OH has his pocket dipped I vowed never to set foot in Tenerife again . It makes you feel so stupid and so vulnerable and the worst part of it , you end up keeping folk at arms length and trusting not a soul, its a horrible way to feel on holiday at a time when it should be the opposite. Just wait till our weather turns cold and once again I will be trawling the sites looking for a warm fortnight in the sun and the suitcase will be another distant memory like the rest.

Medman
20-09-2014, 09:00
i remember feeling the same way as you blondie when i got dipped a few years ago:(,you tend to take it personal as if they have just targeted you and nobody else,but the sad fact is you will be one in hundreds of holidaymakers that they will target over the year,and you soon start to plan for your next holiday in tenerife because the good things far outweigh the bad,but next time you will not let your belongings out of your sight until they are safe in your room,just like me now when we go out i put small amounts of money in every pocket so that if the thieving scumbags do pick my pocket then they will only get at most €10:wink2:

You've either got a lot of pockets Mark or you are as tight as Ecky says you are .. :lol:

martincrabb99
20-09-2014, 09:38
What you have said is so true. The last time my purse was taken and then my OH has his pocket dipped I vowed never to set foot in Tenerife again . It makes you feel so stupid and so vulnerable and the worst part of it , you end up keeping folk at arms length and trusting not a soul, its a horrible way to feel on holiday at a time when it should be the opposite. Just wait till our weather turns cold and once again I will be trawling the sites looking for a warm fortnight in the sun and the suitcase will be another distant memory like the rest.

Well said, enjoy and be safe!

Medman
20-09-2014, 11:13
Tried to amend my post to get it back on topic, but couldn't for some reason, :dontknow:

Anyway, Blondie. Don't let the b******s grind you down. Life's too short.

Ecky Thump
20-09-2014, 21:08
You've either got a lot of pockets Mark or you are as tight as Ecky says you are .. :lol:

I laughed so much at your remark, that the tears ran down my trouser leg!:wink:

marbro8
20-09-2014, 21:11
I laughed so much at your remark, that the tears ran down my trouser leg!:wink:it was funny i actually laughed so loud san asked me what i was looking at:lol:

woolli
15-10-2014, 12:12
Just to make everyone aware, there is a guy walking about in the oasis del sur, el mirodor area claiming to be deaf and dumb, but he as a sponsorship form on a clipboard asking the older end for money. I was in Shambles and managed to stop an old lady giving him 10€. He then departed quckly. He doesnt look Canarian, more Romanian/Morrocon looking.. Be aware.

bulldog
15-10-2014, 17:17
there was two women doing a scam in the farmers market car park at El Medano a few Sundays ago one had the clip board and
asked would we sign her petition to support some kind of cancer trust I was about to sign it when I spotted the names above
had amounts next to them 20Euros,50Euros.I told her to p... off.they also use the clip board scam to dip you as you are leaning
in to read it the other one robs you.they look like gypsies from Santa Cruz.beware

blondie
16-10-2014, 16:12
I doubt we are going to need more than theseways of staying safe in Tenerife now that Ebola has reached the shores , it had to come being so close to Africa. Guy from Sierra Leone in isolation in Canadaleria Hospital

essexeddie
16-10-2014, 16:24
Well well

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?35341-Ebola

macdonald5
17-10-2014, 01:06
Care still definately needed, friend of ours was mugged tonight near Tropical Parque Los Cristianos, hit on head and small handbag taken by mugger Only her mobile in bag but lady very shaken
Could hardly believe a thieving Bxxxxxx would target a group of 3 ladies with husbands
Thankfully injury not too bad but badly shaken

essexeddie
17-10-2014, 17:25
You just have to keep your wits about you, and the usual of taking out no more valuables than you need. Also stick together i.e. don't dawdle or walk too far apart. My guess is that the women that was mugged with their husbands there were probably far apart all talking as you often see. Safety in numbers.

blondie
17-10-2014, 18:56
You just have to keep your wits about you, and the usual of taking out no more valuables than you need. Also stick together i.e. don't dawdle or walk too far apart. My guess is that the women that was mugged with their husbands there were probably far apart all talking as you often see. Safety in numbers.

I am going to have to stop reading the Tenerife Residents and Visitors Facebook page. It is absoloutely horrendous what is happening .By all accounts 16 purses have been stolen in Mercadonna stores alone in the south in the last two weeks. Elderly couples used to be their targets , now there are so many of them thieving , anyone is a target. A couple were robbed like ourselves in the actual foyer of their hotel , the Arona Gran. As they had already checked out the hotel did absolutely nothing to assist them they take our money and and after that you are on your own , its shocking.It all seemsto have kicked off early this year for some reason, you will need eyes in the back of your head , I for one dont think you will beat them . Whats wrong with getting Police out walking in all the areas they seem to target most.

essexeddie
17-10-2014, 19:26
Well I know its not the right thing to do but I would thump anyone who tried to steal from me or my wife. Its the desperate immigrants that are the cause, and probably not the Spanish. I must say I have never had any problems but then we are in and out of London on a regular basis so perhaps we are more aware and used to it all.

blondie
17-10-2014, 21:27
Well I know its not the right thing to do but I would thump anyone who tried to steal from me or my wife. Its the desperate immigrants that are the cause, and probably not the Spanish. I must say I have never had any problems but then we are in and out of London on a regular basis so perhaps we are more aware and used to it all.

I can assure you that you are unaware of anything until its too late , they are so clever. Both myself and my husband are not the type to take something like this lying down , we would have a go . I have already thwarted two attempts to take my bag at Oro Negro Hotel later in the morning at breakfast we met others who were not so fortunate. Like yourself , we do not think they are Spanish.

canarybird
17-10-2014, 21:49
They are usually gangs of professional thieves from eastern Europe who frequent the tourist areas during their high seasons, meaning this time of the year for Canary Islands until around March. They are very well trained in their "art" so you have to be well aware that they are about and have much practice in pinching your wallet or handbag.

Their favourite spots:

Supermarkets

Bus Stops and on crowded buses

Pathways where tourists like to stroll, day or night.

Any congested public areas

Scenic road stops where folks get out of their cars to take photos, leaving handbags etc. in their unlocked car even for a few minutes.

Flea markets and outdoor markets

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 12:17
From what I have heard and read a lot of tourists do not report crimes committed against them for various reasons, I am informed that one of the reasons for this is the lack of interest shown by officers receiving the report from members of the public. This is a real shame as crime pattern analysis results in targeted policing and a proactive response yields far better results than simply recording the crimes or not as the case may be.

blondie
18-10-2014, 12:57
From what I have heard and read a lot of tourists do not report crimes committed against them for various reasons, I am informed that one of the reasons for this is the lack of interest shown by officers receiving the report from members of the public. This is a real shame as crime pattern analysis results in targeted policing and a proactive response yields far better results than simply recording the crimes or not as the case may be.

Sorry but this is Tenerife police we are talking about . Reporting crime there is made as difficult as possible for you,I am quite sure its to keep the crime numbers down , they are well aware of the crime spots and do nothing to deter the criminals .

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 13:16
Sorry but this is Tenerife police we are talking about . Reporting crime there is made as difficult as possible for you,I am quite sure its to keep the crime numbers down , they are well aware of the crime spots and do nothing to deter the criminals .

Thanks Blondie that is also what I had heard from a variety of people as well as your good self. If it is indeed the case then this culture needs to be changed as it does no one any good in the long run especially the victims of crime.

Tshirt
18-10-2014, 15:30
When I lost my wallet to a pick pocket a couple of years ago, once I'd cancelled all my cards etc I spoke to my insurance company who told me any claim must be supported by a police report and I must report it within 24 hrs of the loss. I spent best part of an hour on the phone to some women in Madrid who eventually provided me with a reference number to take to the police station the next morning. I arrived at LA police station at 11am and left with my written report at 1/2 past 2. No access to the toilets, nowhere to get a drink, they all disappeared for lunch/ shift change etc. Enough to put you off reporting anything else again. Fortunately my insurance coughed up and reimbursed me for the cash I lost. Not a good experience on the first day of your holiday though.

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 15:33
When I lost my wallet to a pick pocket a couple of years ago, once I'd cancelled all my cards etc I spoke to my insurance company who told me any claim must be supported by a police report and I must report it within 24 hrs of the loss. I spent best part of an hour on the phone to some women in Madrid who eventually provided me with a reference number to take to the police station the next morning. I arrived at LA police station at 11am and left with my written report at 1/2 past 2. No access to the toilets, nowhere to get a drink, they all disappeared for lunch/ shift change etc. Enough to put you off reporting anything else again. Fortunately my insurance coughed up and reimbursed me for the cash I lost. Not a good experience on the first day of your holiday though.

They should all be sacked!

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 16:23
Just to reinforce what Canarybird has said about the locations criminals frequent, one of my friends had a Barclay card stolen from a car at a view point en route towards Teide he was contacted later by the Barclaycard fraud team who notified him that his card had been used four times in half an hour from the time of the theft. Another friend inadvertently left her car unlocked in the basement at the Mercadona in Las Chafiras and her duty free cigarettes purchased a short time before had been stolen. As far as I know neither incident was reported.

macdonald5
18-10-2014, 16:47
The Mango outlet shop staff in San Eugenio hear of stolen purses every day ( we know of a lady who was dipped twice here) yet police presence never there but we don't know how many of the 'victims' took the time and effort to actually make the police report
Personally we've had a few 'near misses' with robbery - on the hill fro Puerto Colon the thief actually had notes out of friends pocket when we noticed what was happening and grabbed his euros back and would be thief ran off
Another time on walkway near Flamingo two young men approached us in menacing way but I made such a roar to draw attention that again they ran off
Yesterday a couple I met were on way to police station to try to report their theft
Take care is definitely needed but slightly spoils the 'freedom' of walking around

primrose
18-10-2014, 17:08
It was really good to see such a tremendous Police presence around Paloma Beach, El Rincon, Parque Tropical last night, the road was lit up with blue and orange flashing lights as there was also a considerable number of Protection Civil Vehicles there, this was just after midnight. And then they appeared, a group of about 200 runners, so while residents and visitors were being mugged and robbed the wonderful Police of Tenerife were guarding runners.Only in Tenerife.:duh:

warbey
18-10-2014, 19:56

I( think it's also fair to say the Hotel Staff are reluctant to help report Incidents.

lar
18-10-2014, 20:06
I got my Mrs to sew a small pocket on the inside waistband of my shorts. Great place to put notes and credit cards . It does mean I have to go to the loo before paying the bill in a restaurant, as you have to undo your belt to get to the cash, but well worth it I think. Unfortunately thieves are getting everywhere not just Tenerife. The Mrs has a sewing machine , so it was a simple job.

blondie
19-10-2014, 15:05
Yes thats a good idea for money and cards. It was a case I got stolen , where do you reckon I could put that lol

essexeddie
19-10-2014, 16:16
Yes thats a good idea for money and cards. It was a case I got stolen , where do you reckon I could put that lol

Well I could tell you :)

macdonald5
19-10-2014, 21:42

Well maybe a case is too big but after our friend got mugged I was like Dolly Parton with my (thankfully) not too big handbag under my top !

martincrabb99
06-11-2014, 15:50
Beware, pickpockets operating at Amarilla Golf, just heard a couple were ' dipped ' between the supermarket and Scorpio residence today. A couple acting together apparently using distraction technique the male offender is olive skinned and the woman wearing a coat no further details known...be careful out there!

canarybird
06-11-2014, 18:50
You can buy ready made underwear with pockets for cash, cards and passports from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dclothing&field-keywords=clever+travel+companion&sprefix=Clever+travel%2Caps%2C463

prog99
11-11-2014, 16:33
Watch your car in the Decathlon underground car park.

Ours got broken into and all our climbing gear stolen plus a phone & camera. Security guard who spoke excellent english was helpful and got a cab to get us to the police station so have the report for insurance purposes.

Seems like its not uncommon there, he said it was unlikely they knew we were climbers but saw a car with rental stickers.
Car locked when we left (we have the same style back in the uk so it is not an unfamiliar design) and locked when we got back. Dont know how they did it but theres an option on the police report for such a thing.

We're not on the island anymore , I doubt anything will turn up of course. They were probably satisfied with the phone (now blocked) and camera and dumped the rest. If anyone does see something though then you know where it came from, climbing isn't that common on tenerife.

Interesting about the amarilla incident. We saw the aftermath of a car window having being broken in the same area the other day. Connected?

LUCKY
10-07-2015, 11:14
https://www.youtube.com/user/fcotravel

:flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

marbro8
10-07-2015, 22:31
Facebook for hours and hours and hours and hou.......:lol:so he has gone to the dark side anakin?:lol:

LUCKY
10-07-2015, 23:08
Facebook for hours and hours and hours and hou.......:lol:
Hello Hello Hello
In his early days it was called Mugshots book :cop:
:flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Carroll
04-08-2015, 07:40
I have really liked your all information through all threads about save passport in Tenerife.

marbro8
04-08-2015, 19:11
i am glad you have read it and found it informative Carroll. if the information we post helps just one person then it makes it worthwhile:)

warbey
04-08-2015, 20:22
I have been reading reports of People on the Invalid Carriers terrorising the Walking Public by going too fast and coming behind

People silently and giving them a fright

A couple of reports of Accidents, one which was serious

Be careful out there People.!!!!!!!

lar
24-10-2015, 11:43
I've seen a few people usually young using those kind of electric skate boards, don't know the proper name, they look dangerous to me and just appear in front or behind you without any noise, pretty scary

Moderator_
09-11-2015, 21:59
Courtesy message:

As this is a sticky regarding safety I've moved a number of posts. They are still available to read in the off topic section. Thank you.

leorithus
03-08-2017, 15:42
hello, Im living in tenerife from 3 years ago, im from venezuela and the situation there is worst right now and my family cannot help me anymore, i spend all my money at this moment, and the last € of this month was for my part of the rent... but i dont have more for buy food or personal articles... im starting to get desperate... i dont know what can i do and i cannot find a job and im looking from a long time ago... if you dont believe me i can show you my bank notes and you will see what i have... 0.09€ :-( if someone here can help me with a job, cleaning his home, walking his dog, or with some money i will appreciate a lot... :'( , sorry for the inconvenient and thank you for your time.