PDA

View Full Version : A question about tax payable on importing car parts

doingok
15-07-2013, 10:27
Hi just got a part from the uk and been told that i have to pay 65 euros import tax on a part + shipping only was £90 is this right sounds very hight to me?

casabonny
15-07-2013, 10:32
This will be import duty and customs clearance , depends on how it was sent ie by courier or post. If by courier and exported correctly then you should have paid no VAT so IGIC due would be less unless of course it went via Madrid when you will probably find that you have paid IVA and IGIC!

Tdm
15-07-2013, 10:37
I think it is a bit "Hit" and "Miss" with Customs and parcels received from overseas.
I often get small parts for my Classic Car sent me and there is no extra charges on them,
but some of the parcels from places like "Amazon" attract Customs Duty, whereas others don't.
I have no idea how they work out what to charge when they do - but it does seem a bit excessive.
Perhaps someone else can be a bit more specific.

doingok
15-07-2013, 11:08
Never again will i use a courier as its 50 euros gest handly charge what a joke i have had things sent through royal mail loads of time and never had this so be warned

LESSON LEARNED

Thank

casabonny
15-07-2013, 11:24
Never again will i use a courier as its 50 euros gest handly charge what a joke i have had things sent through royal mail loads of time and never had this so be warned

LESSON LEARNED

Thank
Some suppliers insist on sending abroad by courier, so sometimes you have no choice. Its a safeguard for them as they can track item and have a signed for delivery so no one can claim not to have received the item.

doingok
15-07-2013, 12:06
Some suppliers insist on sending abroad by courier, so sometimes you have no choice. Its a safeguard for them as they can track item and have a signed for delivery so no one can claim not to have received the item.

but it was still cheaper by 130 euros even with the 50 euros added so still better off but i will have it sent to family first the next time but as i have said lesson learned