PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Do you need a doctor's certificate to hire disabled buggies in Tenerife?

rosemary
15-07-2013, 19:49
Can someone please tell me if you need a doctors certificate to rent one of these disabled buggies or wheelchairs, don't know what they are properly called?

I have just come back from a week in Benidorm and it puzzled me to see quite a few seemingly fit young kids zooming around in and out of the traffic in these buggies, big grins on their faces having what looked like a buzz. I have seen more and more of them also over here. And not only young kids either.

I was wondering if it has become the cheap way to get around and you don't need a driving licence either. Or do you? :dontknow:

junglejim
15-07-2013, 20:04
You don't need a doctor's certificate or a licence for the normal ones .

rosemary
15-07-2013, 20:18
Thanks Jim. Then I think I am right. They are being abused.

seanocelt
15-07-2013, 20:20
Wish they would give compulsory lessons for pavement/promenade use over here. The drivers here , mainly older but not all , are lethal and there will be an accident. Then a claim. Then, someone will argue over liability.

tracey
16-07-2013, 10:14
No, you dont need a doctors letter or anything like that but any responsible company will only rent them to people who actually do need them to get around. I have to say though, that you dont need to be old to have a disability and some disabilities are not visible (heart or lung problems etc)

rosemary
16-07-2013, 10:32
No, you dont need a doctors letter or anything like that but any responsible company will only rent them to people who actually do need them to get around. I have to say though, that you dont need to be old to have a disability and some disabilities are not visible (heart or lung problems etc)

Yes thanks Tracy I agree about the responsible companies but then....isn't it also about making money, especially if it's now become an unregulated business. I mean who verifies a customer if they say they have chest or heart problems? It must be my own suspicious nature that prompts me to beg the question guess. But still, they are now so popular these runabouts that I do think they need regulating.

melm
16-07-2013, 18:45
Yes thanks Tracy I agree about the responsible companies but then....isn't it also about making money, especially if it's now become an unregulated business. I mean who verifies a customer if they say they have chest or heart problems? It must be my own suspicious nature that prompts me to beg the question guess. But still, they are now so popular these runabouts that I do think they need regulating.

we were in Benidorm earlier this year, and while we did not see any fit looking people use these buggies, we did see an advert for one company stating that they would not hire to irresponsible people.....so i suppose some do and hire them to people for a bit of "fun".

tracey
16-07-2013, 20:56
We do get people asking to rent who clearly dont need them, especially for our limos (double seaters) but would never rent to anyone who we did not think needed them.
I have worked in the disability sector for about 18 years, so I do know what I am doing.
It would be impossible to regulate as some people gain injuries and some (like a lady we had a few weeks ago who was 8 months pregnant and found it really difficult to get around in the heat) how would they get certificates?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

This is another thing that annoys me. People calling people lazy etc when using a scooter (not you Rosemary). They are eco. Call names to someone who is driving a car or a motorbike and polluting the air. If I need to get to LA from LC I will use a scooter rather than pollute!!

slodgedad
17-07-2013, 01:03
It's a shame that some idiots do hire them for fun.

The abuse spoils it for those that genuinely need them.