PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport I have been fined again for not being registered in trafico!

Mr.Click
27-07-2013, 14:44
Good afternoon,
I'm seeking some legal advice regarding an issue that can't seem to get resolved.

A year or so ago I got a fine for having a British driving license and living in Tenerife. I have been here since 1997 and in 2006 I got my driving license in the UK while I was there on holiday for a few weeks. Since then I have been stopped numerous times and nothing has come of it, yet on this ocasion (and again today) I have been fined 500€ for not being registered in trafico.

The 1st time it happened I went to trafico in Santa Cruz to sort it out and exchange my UK license for a Spanish one. But apparently I can't because in 2009 (3 years after I got my license) a law came out that specifies that you must take your license where you are currently living, thats fine but I had mine 3 years before that law even existed! not only that but they told me that even if I tried fighting it I would basically lose and the only option is to actually take my driving test in Spain, from scratch!!

I find it amazing that they accuse me of not registering at the office yet, in the past they have fined me and in fact suspended my license for 1 month around 2007/8. Why didn't they register me then? They could easily see that I have been living here since 97 yet didn't bother and now I'm in the wrong for not doing it...

After this I went to a local lawyer who looked into the case and told me that I can drive with that license without any problem yet today I have got the same fine.

I really don't know where I stand at the moment and taking my license again seems ridiculous!

Please, if there is anybody on this forum who has had a similar experience or knows more about the correct law's and what options I have, let me know!

Really appreciate it!
Lee.

TenerifeTeddy
27-07-2013, 15:48
Contact Diana McGlone - Goldenmaniac on here and she will help you. this is her website here (http://www.diana-mcglone.com/)
It does seem to be the case that police don't know their own traffic laws, and I am sure that your lawyer is correct that you do not have to have your licence inscripted here. You are breaking a UK law by not being registered at the correct address, but not a Spanish law.
As I said though, contact Goldenmaniac as she is the expert, and would be able to advise you how to sort this out with trafico

Mr.Click
27-07-2013, 16:36
Thank you very much! I'm looking at the website now and will contact Diana straight away. I can see why I could be breaking a UK law but I was never aware of this. Hopefully Diana can help me proceed as I think my case is more complex given the fact I lived here when I went back to the UK to take my license...

Thanks again,
Lee.

Contact Diana McGlone - Goldenmaniac on here and she will help you. this is her website here (http://www.diana-mcglone.com/)
It does seem to be the case that police don't know their own traffic laws, and I am sure that your lawyer is correct that you do not have to have your licence inscripted here. You are breaking a UK law by not being registered at the correct address, but not a Spanish law.
As I said though, contact Goldenmaniac as she is the expert, and would be able to advise you how to sort this out with trafico

seanocelt
27-07-2013, 18:00
Having read Goldenmaniac's site today, and indeed J.A'.s site, seems if you have resided 2 years you should change your licence to a Spanish one (but , seems to say there is NO law against using UK one that has photo and is still in date?!). Anyone know how much it costs to do the change?

Mr.Click
27-07-2013, 19:07
Thank you TenerifeTeddy. I will contact Diana straight away. I've looked at the site and it does appear that there is no obligation to switch the license if it has to be renewed periodically, I assume this is the 10 year revision which mines does have. However in my case I took my license in the UK while living in Tenerife, I assumed this wouldnt be an issue and especially not in Tenerife. The only difference in licenses being the points, there seems to be no way of taking points off a UK license when you aren't registered. I have been fined in the past however and Trafico never registered it themselves it seems, knowing well that I live here and the license is from the UK. They seem to wipe their hands of the issue...

seanocelt
27-07-2013, 19:13
Its a good point,( pardon the pun) how can they put penalty points on a licence issued in another country?

casabonny
27-07-2013, 19:41
Contact Emma at Motorworld as she will be able to help and advise you.Regarding your comment about change it depends on if you want to exchange the license for a Spanish one or have the UK one in scripted.the price and procedure differ.
My Advise is to exchange for a Spanish one ASAP to avoid any future problems and as you are no longer resident in the UK the DVLa site clearly states that the license is not renewable in the UKand that you must adhere to local laws relevant to the country in which you live.

Megaloo
27-07-2013, 19:43
I exchanged my license recently. I first went for the Medical locally here in Puerto de la Cruz which cost 40 Euros this I believe is a must even if you are driving on your English license, but cannot be fined yet for not having it. Cost of changing my UK license to Spanish was 27 Euros. I had to wait for Traffico to get in touch with Swansea to see if I had any penalties. They gave me a slip of paper with permission to drive my license came in the post about 3 weeks later

timmylish
28-07-2013, 02:39
I exchanged my license recently. I first went for the Medical locally here in Puerto de la Cruz which cost 40 Euros this I believe is a must even if you are driving on your English license, but cannot be fined yet for not having it. Cost of changing my UK license to Spanish was 27 Euros. I had to wait for Traffico to get in touch with Swansea to see if I had any penalties. They gave me a slip of paper with permission to drive my license came in the post about 3 weeks later

Can I ask you what exactly the medical examination extended to. I should really change my licence but I had taken the view to wait until I was required to, by age. Still undecided!

Megaloo
28-07-2013, 10:15
Can I ask you what exactly the medical examination extended to. I should really change my licence but I had taken the view to wait until I was required to, by age. Still undecided!

I have PM'd you

doingok
30-07-2013, 16:21
your english licence is a EU not should why you cannot drive here on it and if the info i have is right then in 2015 the licences will be the same away?

honda
30-07-2013, 19:33
2015 everyone resident in Spain, Italy, Germany, uk or any euro country will need to have a licence issued in that country.

Agree with earlier post.... Contact Emma at Motor World, she did a great job changing my licence to a Spanish one with no hassle at all on my behalf. Very helpful when you need someone who speaks the lingo.

seanocelt
30-07-2013, 19:57
what was the cost please Honda?