PDA

View Full Version : Recipes Tips needed on how to cook a leg of lamb

YOUNG GOLFER
27-07-2013, 23:21
Hi as the title states cooking a leg of lamb............I am in charge of making Sunday lunch for a change and don't want to balls it up. Could you give me some tips on making this lamb taste good.

AL JAY
28-07-2013, 01:45
Take a look on here Stu, you can do it without the garlic if you wish!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastlegoflambwithga_90252

slodgedad
28-07-2013, 01:57
The only tip I can give you is to make sure you roast from room temperature and never straight from the fridge.

Preheat oven to 220 and roast with dried rosemary sprinkled over it (fresh is better)

Roast for 20 minutes to seal and then turn oven down to 180 til cooked.

Taylor
28-07-2013, 02:15
Hi as the title states cooking a leg of lamb............I am in charge of making Sunday lunch for a change and don't want to balls it up. Could you give me some tips on making this lamb taste good.

Hi Stuart

Jar of Wholegrain mustard mix it with a small amount of Olive Oil add a good sprinkle of Rosemary seeds and coat the lamb. Roughly chop some Carrots celery Onions Potatoes big pieces!!!!and smash 2-3 cloves of Garlic. Put the veg in bottom of roasting tray with the garlic and add some olive oil making sure all Vegetables are coated, place lamb on top, pre heat oven to 200c roast for 25 mins a LB to medium rare or 30-35 mins for Med/Well.

After roasting take lamb from tray and rest for 30 mins. Put Vegetables into serving dish and keep warm. Put roasting tray back on heat add a glass of red wine to De-glace residue add a little flour to make a smooth Roux whisking all the time. Add stock from a cube or water and add to rue again whisk. Some gravy browning to colour.... strain...... season to taste. This makes a great dish.

marbro8
28-07-2013, 10:23
Hi as the title states cooking a leg of lamb............I am in charge of making Sunday lunch for a change and don't want to balls it up. Could you give me some tips on making this lamb taste good.take it to la fortuna:laugh: sorry:ashamed:, the last time i cooked one i just put it in the oven on about 160 for about 4 hours, the slower you roast it the better, and remember you can't undercook lamb, so you won't be poisoning any one:laugh: some people like it pink but my lot like it very well done;)

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2013, 10:27
The only tip I can give you is to make sure you roast from room temperature and never straight from the fridge.

Preheat oven to 220 and roast with dried rosemary sprinkled over it (fresh is better)

Roast for 20 minutes to seal and then turn oven down to 180 til cooked.

finally I have managed to cook a leg of lamb and do it just like Slodgie and def do not cook straight from the fridge !

I wrap mine in foil tho' find it stays juicier. Keep basting it throughout and the longer you cook it the better IMO

Suerte - let's have a pic when you done:yum:

junglejim
28-07-2013, 11:51
All good advice above- the only thing different I do is sprinkle some 5-spice on it as well to give it a slightly different flavour , but definitely garlic and rosemary .
I also put a dollop of Strawberry Jam in the gravy to make it a little sweeter !

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2013, 11:54
All good advice above- the only thing different I do is sprinkle some 5-spice on it as well to give it a slightly different flavour , but definitely garlic and rosemary .
I also put a dollop of Strawberry Jam in the gravy to make it a little sweeter !

Garlic, strawberry & 5 spice really? - not mint sauce too Jim ?

honda
28-07-2013, 12:12
finally I have managed to cook a leg of lamb and do it just like Slodgie and def do not cook straight from the fridge !

I wrap mine in foil tho' find it stays juicier. Keep basting it throughout and the longer you cook it the better IMO

Suerte - let's have a pic when you done:yum:

I like to cover the roasting tin with foil. A few slashes in the joint and press in fresh rosemary and a few slices of garlic. Rub in a little salt and pepper, a drizzle with olive oil. Cook low and long .... Will drop off the bone.

primrose
28-07-2013, 14:21
take it to la fortuna:laugh: sorry:ashamed:, the last time i cooked one i just put it in the oven on about 160 for about 4 hours, the slower you roast it the better, and remember you can't undercook lamb, so you won't be poisoning any one:laugh: some people like it pink but my lot like it very well done;)

Marbro8 has the right idea, plain and simple so you can taste the meat, why spoil a good leg of lamb,there is enough taste in lamb without anything being added if you have good meat to start with.

Angusjim
28-07-2013, 14:27
YG I have always found leaving this sort of work up to the wife is the best way to make it taste good:wink2:

LeFrunk
28-07-2013, 14:42
Jeeeeez , my mouth is watering , Stu , can u not wait to cook it for a fortnight as I will be over and I can bring the drink , good luck with it , yal need it . Me , cant cook wont cook

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2013, 15:01
YG I have always found leaving this sort of work up to the wife is the best way to make it taste good:wink2:

Yeap you stick to the washing up !:dishes:

Angusjim
28-07-2013, 15:05
Yeap you stick to the washing up !:dishes:

Don't you worry I can fill up that dishwasher with the best of them:bootyshake:

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2013, 15:51
Don't you worry I can fill up that dishwasher with the best of them:bootyshake:

You bought a dishwasher - and I thought the Scots were................:whistle:

I prefer Marigolds:D

YOUNG GOLFER
28-07-2013, 17:19
Well thanks for all the tips guys......next time I ask a question about how to cook something I should first leave it out to defrost forgot that part. So it's lamb roast for another day made the excuse it was too hot for a roast dinner today rather than admit I forgot to take it out the freezer.
As Del Boy would say....... what a plonker.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

First sensible thing you said mate:)

slodgedad
28-07-2013, 17:25
Well thanks for all the tips guys......next time I ask a question about how to cook something I should first leave it out to defrost forgot that part. So it's lamb roast for another day made the excuse it was too hot for a roast dinner today rather than admit I forgot to take it out the freezer.
As Del Boy would say....... what a plonker.

:agree::tiphat:

primrose
28-07-2013, 17:30

Well you ballsed it up big time.Did you do it on purpose so you wouldn't be trusted to do it next time.

melm
28-07-2013, 17:39
Well you ballsed it up big time.Did you do it on purpose so you wouldn't be trusted to do it next time.

that's what I was thinking:wink2:

primrose
28-07-2013, 22:24
Well what did you make.:hungry:

YOUNG GOLFER
28-07-2013, 23:39
Well what did you make.:hungry:

I made chicken and pork kebabs and some chicken in a BBQ sauce.........went down a treat even with the kiddies.
And a banana split for dessert .

primrose
28-07-2013, 23:47
I made chicken and pork kebabs and some chicken in a BBQ sauce.........went down a treat even with the kiddies.
And a banana split for dessert .

Canaries Bananas ?

Malteser Monkey
29-07-2013, 10:28
Canaries Bananas ?

Don't start that again !:banana:

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 13:27
Well I'm Roasting lamb later - it's been marinating in the fridge in a little red wine and redcurrant sauce. (first time with the sauce) so let's see !

mash, savoy cabbage, carrots poss swede or peas and Yorkshire's so LUCKY doesn't feel left out

Do they not have Yorkshire puds in Lancashire marbro8

So 7pm who can I expect ? bring a bottle

LUCKY
18-08-2013, 15:42
:flatcap:
Well I'm Roasting lamb later - it's been marinating in the fridge in a little red wine and redcurrant sauce. (first time with the sauce) so let's see !

mash, savoy cabbage, carrots poss swede or peas and Yorkshire's so LUCKY doesn't feel left out

Do they not have Yorkshire puds in Lancashire marbro8

So 7pm who can I expect ? bring a bottle

In lancashire they have Black pudding.I wiil setting off shortly, With a bottle. Brown ale that is.You can expect myself the o/h
4 ferrets and the five grandchildren. As you know via recent PMs Your'e address is down as a favourite in my sat nav. :flatcap::angel::feret::feret::feret::feret::dummy ::dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy::caravan:

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 15:47
:flatcap:

In lancashire they have Black pudding.I wiil setting off shortly, With a bottle. Brown ale that is.You can expect myself the o/h
4 ferrets and the five grandchildren. As you know via recent PMs Your'e address is down as a favourite in my sat nav. :flatcap::angel::feret::feret::feret::feret::dummy ::dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy::caravan:

Yes I know you know where to find me, I the leek covered cottage, round the corner from the post office .......better be a large bottle of ale !

Your Missus can give me a hand with dishing up !

LUCKY
18-08-2013, 15:53
Yes I know you know where to find me, I the leek covered cottage, round the corner from the post office .......better be a large bottle of ale !

Your Missus can give me a hand with dishing up !

Right we are about to set off there will be a short delay whilst we nip into Richmond to pick up the 5 grandchildren and some flowers and chocalates for our host, my goodness we could invent a tv programme lets think of titles:caravan::redcar::bluecar::drive::drive:

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 15:56
Right we are about to set off there will be a short delay whilst we nip into Richmond to pick up the 5 grandchildren and some flowers and chocalates for our host, my goodness we could invent a tv programme lets think of titles:caravan::redcar::bluecar::drive::drive:

don't waste your money on those - just bring booze !:laugh:

LUCKY
18-08-2013, 16:17
don't waste your money on those - just bring booze !:laugh:
Will nip back into Richmond and see if i can get a credit note, then we can call in at Mrs Bradshaws off licence. by the way the O/H as just suggested tv prog title 'Come Wine With Me':flatcap:

trevorife2
18-08-2013, 16:34
Take it off the lamb first otherwise it has a tendancy to do a runner ?????

LUCKY
18-08-2013, 16:46

Would that be The Leg?:flatcap:

melm
18-08-2013, 16:50
Will nip back into Richmond and see if i can get a credit note, then we can call in at Mrs Bradshaws off licence. by the way the O/H as just suggested tv prog title 'Come Wine With Me':flatcap:

can you give me a lift when you call in at the off licence..........will bring a few bottles :eyebrows::spin:

LUCKY
18-08-2013, 16:53
can you give me a lift when you call in at the off licence..........will bring a few bottles :eyebrows::spin:
Of course i can, not a problem:flatcap:

melm
18-08-2013, 16:58
Of course i can, not a problem:flatcap:

such a nice friendly person thank you:tiphat:

salsa
18-08-2013, 18:01
I have always struggled to buy lamb in Tenerife, I like to bone the leg, butterfly it. Marinate in herbs olive oil, lemon juice and garlic, then BBQ! Where do you buy your lamb from as I would like to BBQ it more often?

sunseeker
18-08-2013, 19:12
Hi Stuart

Jar of Wholegrain mustard mix it with a small amount of Olive Oil add a good sprinkle of Rosemary seeds and coat the lamb. Roughly chop some Carrots celery Onions Potatoes big pieces!!!!and smash 2-3 cloves of Garlic. Put the veg in bottom of roasting tray with the garlic and add some olive oil making sure all Vegetables are coated, place lamb on top, pre heat oven to 200c roast for 25 mins a LB to medium rare or 30-35 mins for Med/Well.

After roasting take lamb from tray and rest for 30 mins. Put Vegetables into serving dish and keep warm. Put roasting tray back on heat add a glass of red wine to De-glace residue add a little flour to make a smooth Roux whisking all the time. Add stock from a cube or water and add to rue again whisk. Some gravy browning to colour.... strain...... season to taste. This makes a great dish.

Also it's a good idea to score the fat before you rub on the marinade as it helps flavour the meat.

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 20:22

Yep sorted !:laugh:

Even better gotta be an award there:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
07-09-2014, 10:40
Right YOUNG GOLFER what we having today - I'll round everyone up - we'll bring the booze.

Could just go a nice bit of beef and Yorkie puds:yum:

Ecky Thump
07-09-2014, 10:47
@marbro has many ways of cooking with Lamb, but as the original advert says, it's still his favourite simple method....

Slam in the Lamb!!;)

Malteser Monkey
07-09-2014, 10:58
@marbro has many ways of cooking with Lamb, but as the original advert says, it's still his favourite simple method....

Slam in the Lamb!!;)

Ohh God i remember that ad

and i get ya !;)