PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone bank with Bankia in Tenerife?

TOPGUN77
03-08-2013, 19:29
Would you trust your money with this bank they are part of the caja canary group I believe.Does any one bank with them or how does La Caixa fair thanks

delderek
03-08-2013, 20:00
Would you trust your money with this bank they are part of the caja canary group I believe.Does any one bank with them or how does La Caixa fair thanks

Bankia is owned by the Spanish Govt. and was formed by grouping together 7 ( I think ) banks that were insolvent, and then had to borrow 19bn to stay afloat. So if anyone asks do you trust any bank these days. The answer would be do you trust the Govt.

TOPGUN77
04-08-2013, 01:16
So Bankia is not a good bet then

BoPeep
04-08-2013, 09:00
I feel very nervous with any bank now, UK or Spanish but what choice do you have? Direct debits have got to go somewhere!

delderek
04-08-2013, 09:25
So Bankia is not a good bet then

I would have thought pretty safe, as the Govt can't really let it fail. It would cause chaos.

Greg
04-08-2013, 17:47
Chaos is already here. Do not ever under any circumstances put any money into any Spanish bank other than what you need for your direct debits. Spanish banks have virtually no privacy policy and zero data protection. Unsigned for speeding, parking or anything fines will be taken from your account without your permission or court order. The same goes for any late or unpaid bill of any description from any local or general government office. They frequently take money in error and the expense of getting it returned is often higher than writing the "stolen" money off. If this frightens you good, it should. UK banks need a court order to remove money from your account and you would be notified beforehand. Leave you money there (or where ever it is now) You will sleep better at night!

BoPeep
05-08-2013, 09:47
I'm with Greg on this one. We paid our 'non letting tax' last June to our fiscal who says he paid it. They took it from our bank account last Dec as well, the only thing we can do is not pay it this year and hope they dont take it out in Dec again!

I have asked our fiscal to sort it but he just ignores me which is probably because of what Greg says above.

Medanoman
06-08-2013, 00:32
Bankia , was a government created bad bank created to put all the bad debt in one place. It took Caja Canarias with it..

This take over and injection of funds was done along with loads of advertising giving the naive customer the feeling that everything was well with the world. Only for may people to loose yet again when the bank basically went broke a second time, taking loads of pensioners with it. Pensioners being trusting souls who had had life savings with these entities for lifetimes, suddenly found that they had been mislead into putting their savings into Bankia investment finds that later proved to be of great risk.

On the islands bankia is regarded with distain....it still embargoes houses with impunity and has lost all the links it had from being La Caja de Canarias. My local friends tell me that everyone is going to Caja Canaria. Not becuase its any better but becuase it is still canarian and not a run from Madrid by banksters.

BoPeep
06-08-2013, 09:45
We bank with Banca March in Las Galletas and they are multi lingual and there is rarely a queue.

Banca March came out top in the European Union Banking Stress exercise in 2010.

marknjenjen
19-08-2013, 15:41
my opinion is santander i have used them for a while now and they have always been great with me