PDA

View Full Version : Health Do hospitals and medical centres employ podiatrists or chiropodists in Tenerife?

marrievee
05-08-2013, 22:56
:wave::wave::wave:
hi everyone
Ive not posted for a while but the move to Tenerife is still definitely on. its just been put back a few months as both our daughters are having babies :spin:

Does anybody know whether hospitals/medical centres employ podiatrists/chiropodists? Ive tried to look into this but find that most are private that work from their own clinic. There seems to be a lot of beauty salons in the south offering pedicures etc but I dont really want to go down that road.

We want to live in the north and both my husband and I speak basic spanish. My husband is a sales manager here in the uk and is hoping to do something similar. We will both sort out NIE when we move to tenerife.

Does anyone know of any recruitment agencies in the north?

Any advice anyone can give would be great :)
thanks
Marie

timmylish
06-08-2013, 00:27
I think that you should read the thread started by Tom & Sharon which gives one side of the current debate on the prospects of earning a living by here to Tenerife, just now. The fact that I disagree is neither here or there.
On the matter of Agencies I don,t think that Tenerife has seen the benefits of same! The bulk of the medical attention to which you refer can only be offered on a private basis.
Sales Manager,s jobs, outside of Timeshare will, I think, be few and far between with those, say in the car trade, likely to be held by Spanish staff.

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2013, 11:31
Right, here we go again...........somebody shoot me!

Marrievee, Tenerife is a beautiful island, it has a gorgeous climate and an enviable lifestyle. If you can afford to live there. And that's the bottom line I'm afraid. It's a big if in the current economic climate, and that's not likely to change for years, if ever!

Looking at your profile and reading your posts, I would imagine you are a similar age to ourselves. You sound like you will be well established in the UK with a good income and lifestyle. You have your own business in the UK and your husband is a sales manager. I'm sorry, but you're about as likely to replicate this in Tenerife as to win on the lottery. It sounds harsh I know, and someone will jump on and say I'm negative, but it's the truth.

Think carefully about what you're saying.

1. Regarding yourself, with only basic Spanish, you can discount employment in Spanish state healthcare immediately. That leaves you with private medical centres. Many of these are used by the Spanish as well, so again the language is your barrier. There are no health centres which cater for English only. That then leaves only self employment. Again, the Spanish are unlikely to want your services, and many of legal, employed English and pensioners are entitled to access the Spanish state system and receive free treatment. Anybody else won't be able to afford you. So where is your market? You could spend 12 months and thousands of euros trying to establish a private practice and end up with a handful of clients at best. All that time you will be paying out around 300€ a month to be registered as autonomo (self employed). You will also have paid someone a fair amount of money to sort all your paperwork, residencia etc. for you. Don't forget you will need to show 8000€ in your Spanish bank account for the pair of you to get residencia in the first place.

2. As a sales manager in steel in the UK, your husband has no skills set for Tenerife. Again with basic Spanish, that market is discounted altogether. The only people he could sell anything to are the English. Basically, this boils down to timeshare or estate agency. There are people who've been in Tenerife donkey's years working timeshare sales. They earned big money in years gone by, but that bubble has pretty much burst, and there isn't enough work/ money to go round. Estate agency in an established estate agents will be hard slog and as he doesn't know the market, he's unlikely to earn the big commissions he's likely to be promised. It's only 4 1/2 years since we bought our apartment in Tenerife from the biggest agent in the south, and the salesmen from there are long gone back to the UK.

The only way you will be able to replicate the quality of life you probably enjoy in the UK is with a private income. You may not think you have quality of life in the UK, but you have. Living in the sun may sound like a better quality of life, but not without money it isn't! If you don't have a private income to fall back on (and I don't mean 100€ a week) don't do it!

If you really want to enjoy Tenerife for many years to come, put all the money you will waste in trying to set up a business in Tenerife into a deposit to buy your own apartment here. Continue to work in the UK, pay your Spanish mortgage with the extra money you earn in the UK, and enjoy all your holidays in the sun with cash in your pocket, in your own little piece of paradise, with your children and expected grandchildren. Then when the time comes, retire with your hard earned pensions and put your feet up in the sun :sunburn::sunburn::sunburn:

marrievee
06-08-2013, 16:00
Ouch :(((((

Thanks for the great post. Gives me a bit of an insight into how life would be. Can't help but feel disappointed. I knew things were bad but I didn't realise just how bad they were. Living and working here for the next 20 years is not a prospect I look forward to either !!! So maybe like you say save up and buy a place in Tenerife and move over permanently when u have the funds to live there without relying on work
:((

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2013, 17:44
Ouch :(((((

Thanks for the great post. Gives me a bit of an insight into how life would be. Can't help but feel disappointed. I knew things were bad but I didn't realise just how bad they were. Living and working here for the next 20 years is not a prospect I look forward to either !!! So maybe like you say save up and buy a place in Tenerife and move over permanently when u have the funds to live there without relying on work
:((

It sounds harsh I know, but better that than giving up the business, home and jobs you've worked hard all your lives for, and losing everything.

If you were to move to Tenerife and follow your plan, you'd have to budget to be able to live for a year at least with no income.

8000€ to put in your Spanish bank account
3500€ to pay autonomo for 12 months
3000€ removal costs
1000€ for necessary paperwork and gestor
7500€ rent
5000€ for a car
10000€ for food and other bills.

That's 38,000€ plus the equipment set up cost of your business and advertising.

Now at the end of that 12 months, it's highly possible that you would have very few clients, and your husband no job, and would have to return to the UK with a very large hole in your pocket, and have to start again. It would set you back years, probably so much so, that your sunshine dream would disappear for ever. I know of loads of people who've done just that, and blown £50,000 in 12 months, returning to the UK with nothing.

Personally, I would take that cash and use it as the deposit on a property, keep working and enjoying it as much as you can, and work towards semi retirement. You've got children and grandchildren to enjoy it with as well.

Better to do that for 20 years (or less if you plan it right) than lose it all in 12 months and have the prospect disappear for ever!

marrievee
06-08-2013, 21:49
definitely having second thoughts now. Think I will get in tough with a couple of spanish podiatrists and get some feedback. regarding working on the island. Thanks for the advice but surely there has got to be success stories?? Is it possible to get a spanish mortgage if you live in the uk?
Thanks again
marie

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2013, 22:24
Yes you can get a Spanish mortgage for a 2nd home if you live in the UK.

I personally don't know of anyone who has moved over in the last 2/3/4 years, with no independent income, who has made a success of it. By contrast, I know of many, many people who have tried, lost all their money, sometimes marriages, can't pay their rent or have to decide between that and eating. It's something that before I witnessed it, I could never have envisaged. But it is very much a reality.

That's why I started the other thread, to give people the chance to share their experiences. So far, no one has come on with a success story.

marrievee
06-08-2013, 22:58
do you have to get a spanish mortgage from an English or Spanish bank? yeah noticed your other thread about any recent tenerife movers and must admit i was a bit shocked to see that nobody had anything positive to say about getting jobs and moving to tenerife. I am the eternal optimist but even I am starting to think that a lottery win is the only way im going to live over there before Im 50!!!!
If anyone has any other thoughts on this i would love to hear them
thanks all
Marie xx

Tom & Sharon
06-08-2013, 23:12
You'd have to contact forum member CIM. He's an expert on mortgages, and you can trust his advice 100%. You'll find him here-

http://tenerifemortgagebroker.com/

sunseeker
09-08-2013, 18:19
Forum member Boozy Susie does private chiropody. Maybe you could ask her in a pm. :)

KirstyJay
09-08-2013, 23:06
Forum member Boozysuzie does private chiropody. Maybe you could ask her in a pm. :)You tag didn't work. I have corrected it. She is Boozy Susie and her hubby's forum name is woolli :)

cainaries
10-08-2013, 11:20
As a recent patient in the University Hospital in Tenerife, I can just tell you they didn't have a podiatrist. I know because I asked. The nurse commented that it was a pity as many patients could benefit from the service but I suspect it is not covered at all by the Spanish Health Service. You might also check if your qualifications are recognised in Spain. You may need to get all your qualifications officially translated into Spanish as well.