PDA

View Full Version : Participate on the Tenerife Forum from within Facebook!

KirstyJay
05-08-2013, 23:17
You can now use the forum directly from Facebook by using our new Facebook App here : https://apps.facebook.com/tenerifeforum/

Ive noticed that there are many members of our FB Groups and pages that post their questions on Facebook, but not on here - when in fact the questions would be answered a lot quicker if they were seen by all our membership, not just the ones that happen to be on Facebook.

So, I have bought and installed the VBulletin Facebook App integration for the forum which now means that avid FB users can also access, post and reply to the forum directly from the Facebook website.

Please click on the link to get help for anything and everything in Tenerife! : https://apps.facebook.com/tenerifeforum/

PS: This thread was started from within facebook ;) :D

9PLUS
06-08-2013, 01:04
Doing so will result in having all forum activity posted on ones Facebook wall yeah?

poker
06-08-2013, 05:11
A bit more explanation please how it exactly works ?

How does this interact with youre name on here and youre name on facebook ?
As I have obviusly an alias name here and so have lots of us on TF .

Does it post to youre wall publikly or can you choose ?

primrose
06-08-2013, 10:47
Tenerife Forum would like to access your public profile, friend list, email address, chat status, groups, interests, personal description, likes and your friends' chat statuses, interests and likes.

What exactly does this mean?

tracey
06-08-2013, 13:14
As it says I think. They want all your private information (and your friends) or you cant join. There is no opt out eek2:

Personally, I would not give that information to anyone.

primrose
06-08-2013, 13:17
As it says I think. They want all your private information (and your friends) or you cant join. There is no opt out eek2:

Yeh that's what I thought. No way.

Malteser Monkey
06-08-2013, 13:23
Don't do facebook, twitter so that's me out - good luck tho those who want it - I'll still be here - just look for Billy :D

KirstyJay
06-08-2013, 21:35
Doing so will result in having all forum activity posted on ones Facebook wall yeah?

A bit more explanation please how it exactly works ?

How does this interact with youre name on here and youre name on facebook ?
As I have obviusly an alias name here and so have lots of us on TF .

Does it post to youre wall publikly or can you choose ?

No, 9PLUS & poker. everything does not necessarily get posted to your wall. You can choose to post to your wall or not. Just select or deselect the box when you reply or post a new thread, just as you would here with the 'post to facebook' box under the quick reply.

It integrates in the same way as the forum facebook connect feature does, and just links your accounts. If you post from FB, then it will still post as your forum username. The actual app is still hosted on our servers, but runs in an iFrame on Facebook to allow direct access and I have had to also had to purchase and install a Security Certificate in order to set it up, so the forum now runs on a secure server.

Tenerife Forum would like to access your public profile, friend list, email address, chat status, groups, interests, personal description, likes and your friends' chat statuses, interests and likes.

What exactly does this mean?

If you look at the screenshot attached, you will see that it gives you threads from the forum that have been started or replied to by facebook friends. It shows you content from the forum that is more relevant to you. It uses no more permissions that any of the games that many people already play on FB, such as farmville, scrabble etc etc. The forum collects no data at all. It just matches your profile data to your FB data so that you get relevant content.

Yeh that's what I thought. No way.

There is always an opt out in your facebook settings. I opt out of certain app content all the time on my account. However please don't take this the wrong way, but I find the use of language in your posts a bit strong to be honest. Who are 'they'? The NSA? The CIA? The forum? If your posts are intended to insinuate that the forum somehow wishes to use this Facebook app to harvest private member data, which is how it reads, then I'd have to contest that. No private data other that that which you have put in your own member profile is kept by this forum.

We've gone to a lot of trouble to purchase the software, the security certificate and install this feature for those that have requested it, so if it's not for you then that's perfectly fine... however people HAVE requested it, and a lot of hard work has gone into providing it, so it'd be appreciative if you are not interested in it to leave it at that, rather than making posts that contain insinuations or assumptions in the open thread that the forum is somehow up to no good. Thanks :) If I've misread your comments, then I apologise in advance.

Don't do facebook, twitter so that's me out - good luck tho those who want it - I'll still be here - just look for Billy :D

That's fine MM, you carry on as normal :) This is not so much for people who use the forum as it is, but more for those people that post questions on our facebook group when all the information and help is already on here. Also there are members of this forum that spend a lot of time on FB and this type of integration has been requested by some of them some time ago and we were just trying to accommodate those requests. If you ever visit the TF group on Facebook you'd see exactly what I'm talking about, as many questions and advice are lost and/or duplicated on the group page.

Once again, if you come on here and participate directly on the forum that's ok, if you spend the majority of time on FB and use the FB group instead of the forum, you can now post via the app to ask your questions and they'll appear directly on here. Both methods are perfectly acceptable, but nothing is compulsory. It's supposed to be an extra feature that may prove to be more convenient for some. That's all :)

9PLUS
06-08-2013, 21:38

SPAM the monkies out of your Facebook account.............................innit

macdonald5
07-08-2013, 07:32

I'm with you MaltyM xx Ps I am Billy's sister in real life x

Angusjim
07-08-2013, 07:35

At last something we hae in common:laugh:

Fivepence
07-08-2013, 10:32
I also don't have a Facebook account but do use Twitter, which I find brilliant to keep up to date with all the sporting events I am interested in.

All apps seem to gather some info about you and I do know from friends that you can restrict who can view your 'wall', 'photos' etc on Facebook.

Kirsty and eveyone involved in the running of TF should be thanked for providing this additional facility for the members who want to use it.
I also think Kirsty did a good job in answering questions and concerns in her post #8.

:thanx: Kirsty

Malteser Monkey
07-08-2013, 11:14
SPAM the monkies out of your Facebook account.............................innit

Oi ! not all Monkies :wave:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

At last something we hae in common:laugh:

unlike your spelling :whistle::D

karinagal
07-08-2013, 11:33
Kirsty, although I clicked on the link and confirmed access to my FB account I'm not getting anything in my Facebook timeline - is there something else I need to do?

Angusjim
07-08-2013, 11:36
Oi ! not all Monkies :wave:

unlike your spelling :whistle::D

Spelling is correct its a guid scots word, yer an affy wifie MM :laugh:

Malteser Monkey
07-08-2013, 11:36
Kirsty, although I clicked on the link and confirmed access to my FB account I'm not getting anything in my Facebook timeline - is there something else I need to do?

it's like a whole new world out there - another language, now i see why AJim doesn't bother - struggles with English:laugh::cheeky:

Spelling is correct its a guid scots word, yer an affy wifie MM :laugh:

can I google that ?

I have naaa a clue what yer sayin':D

Angusjim
07-08-2013, 11:42
it's like a whole new world out there - another language, now i see why AJim doesn't bother - struggles with English:laugh::cheeky:

can I google that ?

I have naaa a clue what yer sayin'

http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/general/scots.html

but affy should be spelt awfy

Malteser Monkey
07-08-2013, 11:59
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/general/scots.html

but affy should be spelt awfy

I rest my case !:D

TOTO 99
07-08-2013, 13:42
If you get stuck understanding what Angusjim is saying this site can assist...:laugh:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=keek-stane&defid=5540060

Malteser Monkey
07-08-2013, 13:59
If you get stuck understanding what Angusjim is saying this site can assist...:laugh:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=keek-stane&defid=5540060

We need to keep on topic here this is the participate on the TF within FB not the trying to communicate with AJ thread :whistle::D

KirstyJay
07-08-2013, 17:44
Kirsty, although I clicked on the link and confirmed access to my FB account I'm not getting anything in my Facebook timeline - is there something else I need to do?No. It doesn't put things on your timeline unless either you choose to allow it on your timeline when you post something, or a friend you subscribe to does, in which case their post will appear on your timeline. All it allows you, or any other members to do is actually browse, start new threads and answer existing threads all from actually within the facebook website rather than changing sites.

It also means that all the questions posted on our group pages will now do straight on the forum and be answered on here too, so both FB members and users and non-FB members and users can benefit from the questions and replies/advice.

sunseeker
09-08-2013, 18:11
good idea. I go on fb a lot and it'd be easier to read the forum. Does it work on iPhone?