PDA

View Full Version : Internet How can I get through to Telefonica/Movistar?

balababe
07-08-2013, 14:47
I am in a very nasty temper after my ineffective attempts to get any sense from Movistar. My daughter is in my apartment and for some reason the internet is not working. They have tried laptops, mobile phones etc. and nothing works. They have tried an old box, switched wires, and nothing works. Everything is connecting to the box, but that is all - the box isn't connecting to the internet. Not being there does not help and it has just cost me £8 for one phone call to Movistar - they have phoned many times. Movistar say they will look into it but do nothing. It is very important for my son-in-law's business for him to be online and he is getting fed up with drinking beer and the local cafe with free WiFi (or so he says!).

This has never happened before and I am bemused as what on earth to do next, Movistar are obviously not going to help. Anyone with any ideas??

kiwiphil
07-08-2013, 14:54
ok, for starters, is the phone working ok?

Then check how it is all plugged in - is there a microfilter in place? That is the thing that is about the size of a matchbox that splits the line into separate cables for the phone and the Internet. It should be plugged directly into the main socket.

Then, what lights are showing / flashing on "the box" (router) ?

TOPGUN77
07-08-2013, 15:22
I to are having a similar problem,went to Telefonica to sign up for phone and internet.After 2 days the phone was connected but after nearly 5 weeks still no internet.Moviestar insist my number doesn't exist yet I make and receive calls,Telefonica have contacted them to tell them this but its like banging your head against a brick wall.One good thing I suppose is that I am getting free phone calls lol

kiwiphil
07-08-2013, 15:50
I suggest that you don't assume the calls are free. A bill will turn up at some stage.

TOPGUN77
07-08-2013, 16:22
I suggest that you don't assume the calls are free. A bill will turn up at some stage.

How can it my line and number does not exist so no record of calls being made.

kiwiphil
07-08-2013, 16:32
I work in Telecoms, and have done for 25 years. Trust me, if you can make calls then the exchange is producing call records. The back office systems may not have been updated, but that doesn't mean the exchange stops producing call records. Sooner or later they will update their systems and then your calls will be associated correctly.

So just use it as normal and don't go silly and make lots of calls you wouldn't normally on the assumption that they will be free, because there is a very good chance that you will be billed. They can back bill you as far back as they like, your contract with them which you will have signed will state this in the small print.

Suzanne
07-08-2013, 18:01
Call movistar on 1004 and ask for a new router, it. usually comes in a couple of days

balababe
07-08-2013, 20:55
ok, for starters, is the phone working ok?

Then check how it is all plugged in - is there a microfilter in place? That is the thing that is about the size of a matchbox that splits the line into separate cables for the phone and the Internet. It should be plugged directly into the main socket.

Then, what lights are showing / flashing on "the box" (router) ?

The phone is working fine.
The microfilter is in place.
All the lights are flashing on the box, apparently.

My daughter put the old router in - this did not work either - on this one, the internet light was not on. However, the box, a Belkin, was never very reliable. The white telefonica box we use now has always worked. It is still a mystery.

kiwiphil
07-08-2013, 21:03
ok. Turn the power off on the router, leave it off for a full 10 minutes, then turn it back on again. Note the sequence of the lights, and which ones flash. There will be a few letters under each one.

TenerifeTeddy
07-08-2013, 22:51
It is quite possible for the phone line to work and the ADSL not to work as they are separate signals. You need a Spanish speaker to use a DOMO phone from the house and dial 1002 to talk to technical support, or if not a DOMO phone then use this number, 900 357 000. The engineers then go through a series of checks over the phone and if that does not resolve it, they should send an engineer. Normally within 24 - 48 hours.

Len77
07-08-2013, 23:53
Call movistar on 1004 and ask for a new router, it. usually comes in a couple of days

I called Movistar on 1004 for a new router on 5th July ......still waiting 6 weeks later....

kiwiphil
08-08-2013, 00:37
It is quite possible for the phone line to work and the ADSL not to work as they are separate signals.

Yes, I know this. But it is very rare for ADSL to work if there is no dial tone, hence the question. This proves that the physical circuit is intact all the way to the exchange.

The question about what the lights are doing on the router is important too. There are two stages to a connection. The first is the connection to the exchange equipment (DSLAM), and a light will go on solidly if it gets this. Its usually labelled SYNC. It requires no authentication to get this far.

The second stage is for the authentication. If it fails this then there is a good chance the router config has been damaged / lost corrupted.

Given that you are able to connect to the router (wirelessly I assume?) its safe to say that its config is not totally damaged.

Do you know how to log onto the router from a browser? If so, then do so. The status page will tell you what is happening and where it is failing.

balababe
08-08-2013, 13:33
Do you know how to log onto the router from a browser? If so, then do so. The status page will tell you what is happening and where it is failing.

Can I do this from the UK? I usually find the router by putting 192 into the address window and Firefox does the rest. Here, I am only getting my UK router, which I suppose is logical! I am not sure that my daughter knows how to do it or how to log in - I am not sure I remember myself. Thanks for the help and I will see if she can do this.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just realised that the above is a stupid question! How can I access it when it is not itself accessing the internet. Sorry!

kiwiphil
08-08-2013, 21:53
Yes, correct, you can only do it from home if its not on the Internet.

If it is a windows machine then click the start button, and put "cmd" into the search / run box at the bottom. This will bring up an old DOS window. In that type "ipconfig /all". It will list a load of stuff. In the middle it will list "default gateway". Note this down. It will be 192.168.xxx.xxx. This is the IP address of your roiuter.

In Firefox, type http:\\192.168.xxx.xxx. You should get the login screen of your router.

Look on the summary screen, see what it says.

And tell me what lights are flashing / lit solidly!

Cheers, Phil

balababe
15-08-2013, 11:47
Thank you, kiwiphil and tenerifeteddy for your help. I came out here on Saturday and connected to the router which showed there was no internet connection. I eventually got a technico here by phoning 1002 and eventually being able to communicate with someone who knew more English than my Spanish and they repaired the line - which we thought all the time was the problem. On line again!!!! Don't know how we ever lived without it.