PDA

View Full Version : Other Changes for the better in Tenerife at long last!

blondie
08-08-2013, 21:02
I have just returned from a holiday in Las Americas and very pleased to report that at long last there is a police presence at night.After our last 2 visits in Jan. and April we decided things were not as they had been before and we felt very unsafe and vulnerable at night so put off our visit in June. It was difficult for us to find another destination so we said , ok , one last chance. We noticed police on foot for the first time patrolling areas which Forum members, myself included, had felt very wary of in the past eg Geranium Walk,Bouganville hill area, Columbus area . Either the thieves have gone elsewhere now that people are aware of them or the postings on the Forum have made a difference, either way we felt much safer this holiday. Only one night we wereapproached by the usual over friendly chap wanting to shake my hand, I must say he got a bigger fright than me and took off like a rat up a drain pipe after the noise that came from me, can still see his expression yet, so funny. Lets all hope the police retain their on foot patrols and we can continue coming to our favourite Island and continue with our many holidays.

casabonny
08-08-2013, 21:21
Glad you enjoyed you enjoyed yourselves and nice to get positive feedback , that should shut the doubters and negative people up for a while.

lesbroz
08-08-2013, 21:28
Glad you enjoyed you enjoyed yourselves and nice to get positive feedback , that should shut the doubters and negative people up for a while.

Sorry to say but my friend was robbed in broad daylight whilst walking through Puerto Colom last week.

blondie
08-08-2013, 21:46
I am sorry to hear that and I know there will always be some incidents,Rome was not built in a day. It was just so rewarding to think that the Forum members may have made a difference and that they were being listened to.

YOUNG GOLFER
09-08-2013, 01:11
Sorry to say but my friend was robbed in broad daylight whilst walking through Puerto Colom last week.

Robbed of what may I ask.

TOTO 99
09-08-2013, 07:45

Totally uncalled for.

You're talking about people who came on here and told of real life experiences. Victims of crime. They didn't make it up and they don't need "shutting up".

I'm more than happy to hear that people are feeling safer than they have previously felt. It's a great positive advance in the right direction. Everyone must be happy about that.
I just don't understand the "don't you dare call my island" mentality.

TOPGUN77
09-08-2013, 10:29
I feel a lot safer in Tenerife than back in the UK,been coming here for over 15 years now perhaps I have been lucky.

golf birdie
09-08-2013, 10:38
I feel a lot safer in Tenerife than back in the UK,been coming here for over 15 years now perhaps I have been lucky.

I have never felt unsafe in the UK as i advoid the wrong areas. Same as most places, Tenerife included, go to the wrong area at the wrong time and you will find trouble or trouble will find you.

carpdaught1
09-08-2013, 10:43
I have just been told of another murder in our home town in england the 3rd in 9months god knows how many daylight robberies ,now ask us where we feel most comfortable .....:wave:

casabonny
09-08-2013, 11:28
Totally uncalled for.

You're talking about people who came on here and told of real life experiences. Victims of crime. They didn't make it up and they don't need "shutting up".

I'm more than happy to hear that people are feeling safer than they have previously felt. It's a great positive advance in the right direction. Everyone must be happy about that.
I was not referring to the holiday makers but those residents who seem to always only have negative thoughts and opinions on the island , making it out sometime I feel , be the worst place on earth to be.

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2013, 11:34
I was not referring to the holiday makers but those residents who seem to always only have negative thoughts and opinions on the island , making it out sometime I feel , be the worst place on earth to be.

He is talking about about Residents I believe, as there was a thread a short while back where some Residents were telling their stories

anto3
09-08-2013, 11:38
Well been in Dublin for a few weeks. Never saw so many druggies and scumbags. Must say I would stay in Tenerife on my own but not in Dublin. Many stupid people going around Tenerife carrying lots of money. I know people who take out there 6 months rents rather then pay the bank a few bob. No matter what country you are in you have to be aware. Know loads of widows who live there alone but they take taxis at night or go around in 2 and 3 together. Like the robbery of the gold around there necks. Do not flaunt it. Why take out wades of money. See it all the time guy taken out there wallets in front of people with wades of notes. Tenerife to me is one of the safest place to live.

Fivepence
09-08-2013, 11:44
If someone has been robbed or threatened don't expect them to say they feel safe.
The people that haven't experienced a problem will say 'use your brains and keep away from known areas'.
Good advice but you may hold a different view if it does ever happen to you.
You just have to wait your turn, they can't rob everyone at the same time. eek2:

casabonny
09-08-2013, 12:29
He is talking about about Residents I believe, as there was a thread a short while back where some Residents were telling their stories

The Op said they had just returned from holiday here so one must assume they are a holiday maker not resident.
As has been said there are muggings and crimes everywhere in the world and sadly due to high levels of unemployment and the economic crisis , these are on the increase.
We all know of someone who has been affected by a crime in one way or another whether it be here or in the UK or their native country but that does not make TENERIFE any worse than anywhere else IMHO , after all it's an island and small at that so news travels fast and people hear so much more.
We have been affected by crime here but don't moan about it, just get on with things and carry on,as they say what goes around comes around.

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2013, 12:38
Totally uncalled for.

This is what I was referring to

TOTO 99
09-08-2013, 12:49
This is what I was referring to

I know.....lol

At no point did anyone on this thread or earlier threads say that Tenerife was worse than anywhere else in the UK. I have no idea why the bandwagon is full of comparisons.

TOPGUN77
09-08-2013, 18:51
I have just been told of another murder in our home town in england the 3rd in 9months god knows how many daylight robberies ,now ask us where we feel most comfortable .....:wave:

Exactly everyday you hear of someone being robbed,raped murdered etc,i used to live in a well respected area back in the UK, houses over £400k heard of 3 robberies near to where I lived thank god I moved to Tenerife .

warbey
09-08-2013, 20:52
I have just read then re-read this Thread AND the Title..

I think it was a Nice Post, and I am Pleased to read of a Police Presence being there and visible.

Thanks for that.

So far as I know, in similar Threads, NO-one has Lied or Exaggerated, just reported what happened to Them.

Comparing Tenerife to Other Localities doesn't reduce Crime anywhere, and to "Shut People up" however innocently said, only amounts to Censoring.

I agree with the Sentiments of TOTO 99, but regret this Thread has deteriorated into the usual bickering.

Read the opening Post, and let's hope Someone, Somewhere has woken up.!

blondie
10-08-2013, 14:30
Thank you Warbey. As someone who has never been threatened at home but mugged twice in Tenerife I feel I can see both side of the coin but am not going to get into any more arguments about where is safe,and where is not. I was just so very happy to something being done, things could not have continued as they were .

kathml
10-08-2013, 19:17
Crime is subjective it doesn't matter how safe it may appear if you are the one affectited it doesn't matter Tenerife or where ever is dangerous

imablue
10-08-2013, 19:36
This goes on in every place in the world ..last Sunday OH and i were near the Apolo Centre and some Scumbag tried to rob a man who was elderly and on crutches... he realised the **** was trying to pick his back pocket... i saw every bit of the ****s attempt and told him ..(after he was made aware that the old fella knew what he was upto)..i,m watching you ******* .... he walked away with his head down ....So again a warning to all ..anywhere around Los Cris bus station be very aware ...as we all should anywhere being how these lowlife operate ... take care ..

chifleta
11-08-2013, 14:35

Unfortunately I think it's a totally human problem of ours, we always write about the negatives and hardly mention all the positives....

eg. "i heard a friend of mine was robbed recently walking along such and such" ......

well, it's unfortunately rare for us to type " I heard a friend of mine had a lovely walk along Veronicas the other night with no PR's, no touchy feely pocket men etc etc" or "many a late night i've walked through Fraile on my own and never EVER had any problems" even if it's true ... it just doesn't get posted on any forums :whistle:

So I agree it's nice to see something positive. Personally I think a lot of residents aren't happy unless they're complaining LOL so I tend to just ignore them. :scared:

sunseeker
11-08-2013, 15:09
Unfortunately I think it's a totally human problem of ours, we always write about the negatives and hardly mention all the positives....
this is the same for bars and restaurants. People rarely give compliments when they have a good meal or drink, but complain when they get a bad one. It's probably because we expect to get good service or not to be robbed. This is the norm. We mention things that are out of the ordinary. Bad food a flat pint or getting a wallet nicked!

lesbroz
11-08-2013, 17:32
Robbed of what may I ask.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Her bag that was on a wrist strap was cut without her knowing, until too late.

karinagal
11-08-2013, 19:41
this is the same for bars and restaurants. People rarely give compliments when they have a good meal or drink, but complain when they get a bad one. It's probably because we expect to get good service or not to be robbed. This is the norm. We mention things that are out of the ordinary. Bad food a flat pint or getting a wallet nicked!

You're quite right... It's well known in customer service - a person who has a good experience might tell one or two people where if it was a bad experience they'll tell 10..